Fall and Winter 2013 League reporting thread

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fall and Winter 2013 League reporting thread

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:30 am

Like Clark said, this was a very good game, lots of back and forth. And really when you think about it, almost too much strategy used by both generals to believe they were Orcs, Goblins and Beastmen.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:23 am

Brent and I had a game last night as well. My High Elves vs Brent's Warriors. It was a good game but I seemed destined to lose as several key things did not go my way. In the end I had a few badly beaten up units of high elves remaining which Brent would have finished off easily if we had played another turn. The highlight of the game for me was my unit of 15 archers charging 10 marauder horsemen, killing 9 and running the last one down. Those archers were so pumped from that victory that they charged a unit of frenzied khorne warriors with additional hand weapons in the flank. It didn't go as well. Razz 

It was a game well played by Brent, next time I'll be fielding an army comprised solely of high elf archers!

Crushing victory for Brent, it was not a ladder challenge, I was fully painted and Brent was not.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey warhammer fans,

Just finished up a day of games with Don. not much to tell other than I got my face punched in twice. So badly in fact that I might need reconstructive surgery. I'll let Don tell you of the rest.

Both crushing wins, we were both fully painted in only 1 game.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Carson wrote:Hey warhammer fans,

Just finished up a day of games with Don. not much to tell other than I got my face punched in twice. So badly in fact that I might need reconstructive surgery. I'll let Don tell you of the rest.

Both crushing wins, we were both fully painted in only 1 game.

Tomb Kings are rolling along pretty well. My dice liked me a little bit too.

We had 2 games, my TK against Carson and his O&G and my trusty old Catapults bonked the Boss on Wyvern right out of his senses - you'd think he'd learn by now? i've noticed that the Ushabti that I bragged about do not often get into combat and I think they're going to be replaced...which I did for our second game with 3 Sphinx's. They are more fun and even though they have no save, toughness 8 is still tough 8.

I won't say much to refrain from rubbing it in but I had good dice, good luck and first game was done in turn 3 while the second actually went to the end of 6, with pretty much his Giant and a couple Night Gobbo's left on the table.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:45 am

Had a game with Justin yesterday. my empire is having a troublesome time dealing with his Rat army. More memorable points of the game. Justins doom wheel misfired on its first 2 turns then got charged by demi knights and died. so very un spectacular. Justin ran a special character that allowed his to take plague monks as core which made for an intereting game, with a very low model count skaven army with no slaves at all! very odd to see. my unit of halberds lost half its guys to a plague spell. which hurt a lot. they ended up getting slaughtered by plague monks, and caused my demi knights, my general, and my hurricanium all to panic on rerollable 9's... that's 6 LD tests in a row failed on 9's. so that was fun Wink. Overall was a good game. In the end u couldn't break his unit of Plague Monks, or his unit of Storm Vermin with bsb. Justin won by 125ish pts.

Victory For Justin, Neither Painted

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Just played Dom in a wild card challenge. 2500 pts beastmen vs 2500 pts wood elves. Both armies were fully painted.

My army was the same jabberslythe list I've been running, and Dom's was definitely not his usual list - with a big character bunker in eternal guard rather than any treemen. He was running lore of beasts L4, I was running L4 death, 3 L1's. Dom had wildform, anraheir, impenetrable pelt and transformation of kadon. I had purple sun, soulblight, doom and darkness and fate of bjuna.

Game was a pitched battle with lots of terrain. There was 3 normal buildings, a grail chapel, a banestone, 2 sets of obstacles, 3 hills and a haunted mansion, along with Dom's forest and my herdstone. Overall, Dom was able to take out one jabber early, while the other one fought 4-5 rounds against his wild riders. One wild rider survived (then was able to escape the grasp of my ungor marksmen), saving Dom a lot of points.

Similarly, my bestigors lost a lot of models in 2 rounds against his treekin, then a pursuit with curse of anraheir on them). After that, they essentially were avoiding getting shot as much as possible. With 4 bestigors left, Dom charged them (+ beastlord) in the rear with 2 warhawk riders. Dom only caused 1 wound, then my beastlord chopped them all down. In the next shooting phase (turn 6), Dom was only able to cause 2 wounds, so my banner remained to keep 370ish pts from being claimed.

The real key point was my ungors holding out against Dom's eternal guard for a few rounds (including 2 failed casts of transformation), then on an overrun, Dom rolling a 5" pursuit when he needed a 6" pursuit to charge the flank of my gor horde (this was in the bottom of turn 5). I'm not sure the combat against the gor horde would have gone as well as Dom would have hoped since I would have gotten my magic phase against him (and my unit would have almost assuredly been steadfast since they were 5x8 ranks almost full wounds at that point), but I think that combat would have swung the game one way or the other. My gor unit then charged and killed a unit of archers and chased them down, pursuing them off the board.

Tight game, we both made some very good use of buildings which were fairly evenly spread out. Hard cover from buildings being garrisoned slowed me and prevented me from engaging Dom a few times, but it also made it very difficult for Dom to collect full points from weakened units. In the end, Dom had claimed 2 jabberslythes, 2 razorgors and a banner from my ungors (685 pts) while I had claimed Dom's treekin, warhawk riders and a unit of archers (850ish pts). Narrow victory for my beastmen, who cruise up to the top of the ladder on the wildcard challenge.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Good to see those Beastmen winning some games!

I had 2 games yesterday at the Regina Prairie Gaming Expo. Played Sean and his Empire in the first game and it looked really good for me in my second turn as every unit that could charge in the army - charged. And pretty much all of them made it.

BUT, Empire can be stubborn little fellows with lots of little wounds to dig through and at the end of the battle Sean pulled the victory. good game though as we had to tally to decide who won. Always a sign of a good game.

Next, against Justins Skaven and the the Tomb Kings were in better shape. Was up against 2 unbreakable towers with the Bell and Plague, but I just focused on removing the models that could hurt me before focusing my Sphinx attacks on the towers themselves and it worked out. Victory for me.

I was painted both games and I think I'm going to drop the Ushabti altogether and keep running 3 Sphinx's. They're just too much fun to give up.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Was a great game. yes with your extra attack spell and everything stronger on the charge it really looked grim turn 2. and my steam take didn't get to go anywhere and u had a flying sphinx right in his face! when my steam tank was wounding your sphinxes on 6's I knew it was in trouble. haha Was a great day for warhammer. You casket poofed a whole unit of knights and my bsb in one turn. eek!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:56 am

Had a game vs Justin and his TK yesterday

Battle line. Empire vs Tomb Kings

It seemed yesterday that thousand year old tactics could not stand up to the steel of the empire! Justin had some spectacularly bad rolls. and my dice seemed to love me a little yesterday. The TK marched across the field under fire of volley guns and magic assault. cast the bound spell on the hurricanium and spun his tomb guard to face the other direction when they were just close enough to charge, then managed to smash a stank into the flank. I must say the Thy Will Be Done makes a lot of str 5 attacks with high WS, but just general lack of any kind of save in the rank and file is really tough. his lvl 5 caster purple sunned my stank but I managed to roll a 1 on the test *phew*. Greatswords yet again never saw combat once. that's 3 games in a row they haven't even touched an enemy or lost a model. im honestly thinking that they are gonna forget how to fight soon lol. I got crazy lucky on some of my knight rolls he charged with a sphinx and with 11 attacks I managed to roll five 6's and kill the sphinx. He had chariots that kept regrowing that ate up some handgunners and a master engie, got them down to 1 model on 2 occasions but they kept growing back up to 3, that's a cool little feature. Was a good game.

Crushing Victory for me. - neither painted

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:13 pm

I had a game against andre last friday before my game against Clark. Andres scouting dwarfs were going to cause me a bunch of problems so I avoided the large block of 50 and killed everything else he had. He managed to wipe out almost half my army with just that one unit and some shooting.

Minor victory for me andre was fully painted

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Played 2 games yesterday, I was not painted.

First game against Nathan.A. and his Orcs. Really fun game and came down to counting points with Nathan ahead by 200+. I think he was painted? regular loss for me.

Second game against Clark amd his Beastmen saw me lose again by 200+ points. He was painted. Not my day, but them's the breaks.

Is there anyway to get the Den to open a touch earlier on regular gamesdays, or even stay open a little later?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:05 pm

squalie wrote:Second game against Clark amd his Beastmen saw me lose again by 200+ points.  He was painted.  Not my day, but them's the breaks.

You had me against the ropes all game, but purple sun won the day (narrowly). There's games where someone wins the game on a few 50/50 shots going their way, then there's games that are won because of the dice. This was one of the latter. It was all I could do to run my units away from you over the last three turns.

BTW, this game was a wild card challenge.

Aside from the game against Don, I also played Sean. 2500 pts of Empire (not painted) vs Beasts (painted), also a wild card challenge.

Dawn attack played havoc with our leadership bubbles. Sean had his BSB on one flank, and his general on the other. I had my BSB on the same flank as Sean's general, then most of the rest in the center clustered close to that flank (but some terrain split my battleline). Early on, my magic was able to kill a couple characters (sniper spells).Overall, we just weren't able to kill a lot. I had my unit of bestigors down to the last few models at the end of the game, and Sean came within a Ld6 rally test of losing his greatswords + witch hunter (love doom and darkness). We each had some forgotten rules that would have swung the game at various points (I rolled to wound with thump with club which caused 5 rather than 8 wounds to the steam tank, and Sean forgot to reroll to wound at one point which sent his hurricanum fleeing, rather than getting a supporting charge the following turn).

Close fought battle which resulted in a draw.

[quote=squalie]Is there anyway to get the Den to open a touch earlier on regular gamesdays, or even stay open a little later?[/quote]

We should talk to the Den before next gamesday or tournament we hold. They stay open until 9 on Fridays, so it's worth a shot at least.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:45 am

Me and Nathan A also managed to get a game, Empire vs O&G. First turn Nathan proved his skill with warmachines by direct hitting and destroying my Hurricanium in one shot. POP! But he did not have much luck in the magic phase. His unit with his main caster in it animositied on his first turn and then 2nd turn after Foot of Gorking my Capt on a Peg he miscasted and got himself sucked into the void. slurp. My volley gun managed to shoot a Wyvern out from under his general before getting beaten down by a unit of Boar Boys. My steam tank survived this battle with 1 wound left after taking alot of punishment from his general and a few very accurate war machines. My knights staggered along failing about 3 charges in a row. and my unit of Halberds danced around with an araknarok all game. in the end his final unit of black orcs got surrounded and his spider kept dancing with me. Was a fun game, looked like it could go either way a couple of times.

Crushing Victory for Me, He was painted i was not.

Fun day it would be really nice if they would stay open a touch longer so we could get a 3rd or even 4th and 5th game in!!!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Can someone provide a list of the games played on Saturday and the results? It would help me if they were in order of when they were played too so I can update ladder positions.

Sounds like everyone wanted more time than they got. I'm going to try to organize something at my place sometime in the near future. I should have room for 4 tables and I don't have to close at 6.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Dom vs Carson - Dom Won

Don vs Nathan A - Nathan A Won

Sean vs Clark - Sean won in a tie Wink

Justin vs Darren - Justin Won

Carson Vs Frank - Frank Won?

Sean Vs Nathan A - Sean Won

Don Vs Clark - Clark Won

Atleast i think so, im sure ill be corrected if im not

So what time does your place close Nathan? ;P

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Kal wrote:Dom vs Carson - Dom Won

Don vs Nathan A - Nathan A Won

Sean vs Clark - Sean won in a tie Wink

Justin vs Darren - Justin Won

Carson Vs Frank - Frank Won?

Sean Vs Nathan A - Sean Won

Don Vs Clark - Clark Won

Atleast i think so, im sure ill be corrected if im not

So what time does your place close Nathan? ;P

You don't listen so well... Darren won our game.

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks guys, I will also need to know the following:

Darren and Justin, what was the result of your game? Crushing victory or just regular? Anyone painted?
Carson, same question for both of your games.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 pm

I do believe a crushing win, and both were not fully painted. Was good to roll dice again, things not doing well but enjoyed the one game I got.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Just played 2500 pts of my Beasts (painted) vs Nathan R's Dwarfs (painted). Game was meeting engagement with an absolutely silly amount of terrain (2 buildings, 2 laser statues, haunted mansion, chapel, among other things).

Game was a massacre for me. Key was turn 1, my general in a horde of bestigors charged a unit of longbeards with Nathan's only runepriest (with the rune of balance). Turn 1, my general broke that unit and killed the runepriest. That gave me magical dominance with the herdstone, and a few times I was able to get a pair of wildforms into a key unit (apparently frenzied S5/T5 ungors are pretty good).

Nathan's BSB knocked off 3 wounds from my Doombull when I charged his ironbreakers (it was ungors with the doombull and my gorebull BSB). I was wildformed twice, and broke them (I only pursued 1"). Then his general's unit flanked my ungors, and knocked the last 2 wounds off my Doombull, but lost combat and held stubbornly (still S5/T5). Next turn I dropped his his general in hammerers WS by three, and my ungors to S4/T4, and we got a draw. He then charged my ungors in the flank with ironbreakers (had fled, rallied and charged), and in the rear with thunderers. Nathan won, but I was able to cause enough wounds to remain steadfast, but lost frenzy. Next turn, my general charged in with his leftover bestigors, he killed the dwarf general, I finished the hammerers, and broke the other two units. The rallied, and most everything else got finished off in the next round.

Nathan's shooting really abandoned him, and the magic gave me a huge edge after taking out the runepriest (allowed me to give his general and hammerers and not worry too much since I was S5/T5 with my ungors). A huge failure was in the first shooting phase he overshot on a cannonball for the gorebull BSB (4+ ward and 4 wounds with no look out sir is pretty risky) then next turn he rolled a 1 to wound my doombull (only had armour, so no save).

This was a wildcard ladder challenge.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:27 am

My dice weren't great but Ive got to give Clark credit, he played a solid game while I made some bad choices. I'll get you next time Clark!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:43 am

I played five games this weekend with the new dwarf book and the dwarven gunline still works. I played a unit of thirty thunderers two runed up organ guns a flame cannon two gyrocoptors a unit of 25 longbeards 35 ironbreakers and some characters.
First game was a ladder match against Don and his high elves. With gyros taking down tough 3 elves thunderers decimating fast moving units and war machines ripping through his hordes Don extended his hand turn five. Massacre for dwarfes.

Next was a wildcard challenge against Justins lizards who fared no better. Ironbreakers held firm in both games while longbeards softened the middle before dying. Justin extended his hand another massacre for dwarfs.

Darren brought his ogres to fight and while turn one my organ guns began tearing apart his units a late generaling error let his ironguts get the flank. My gyros couldnt dish out the damage against the ogres toughness but the ironbreakers held the last combat but Darren still got a minor victory.

Nathan R tried his 1500 dark elves which i dropped my ironbreakers and flame cannon but even with lots of fast movers (forgotten vanguards by Nathan) proved incapable of closing ranks. Dark elves were completly wiped for another massacre.

Franks druggi tried to avenge at 2500 pts. My ironbreakers finally fell to a magiced up unit who swapped leadership as strength. However only one dark elf was fleeing to warn of the dwarfen skill. Another massacre.

So 4 massacres and one loss the new book will work. I will be interested in trying out some of the other units particularly slayrrs who get a deathblow attack.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks again for all that came to visit for the games weekend. You guys are great to game with and I'm constantly amazed and proud at what a good gaming group we have. I got a record 9 games in and they happened as follows (in order) NOT painted in all games (except 1).

Game 1: Massacre LOSS vs. Andre and his new Dwarfs. As Andre stated, I put my hand out turn 5 as there was not much left to my poor little Elves. Andre will find much happiness and success with the new book and I'll do my best to challenge better next time.

Game 2: Massacre WIN vs. Sean and his Empire.
Game 3: Massacre WIN vs. Justin and his Chaos Dwarfs
Game 4: Massacre WIN vs. Dom and his Lizards
Game 5: Massacre LOSS vs. Nathan and his DE (1500 points)
Game 6: Massacre Loss vs. Nathan and his cursed DE. (1500 points) I used TK and was painted this game.
Game 7: DRAW vs. Carson and his O&G.
Game 8: Massacre WIN vs. Darren and his Ogres.
Game 9: REGULAR WIN vs. Barcley and his Daemons.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 am

I played 7 games on Saturday:

Massacre loss to Andre
Massacre loss to Darren
Massacre win vs Don
Massacre win vs Don
Victory vs Sean
Massacre loss to Frank
Massacre win vs Dom

I was painted for all my games. Thanks to all my opponents, they were great games. I got to try out my dark elves and I liked how they worked. So much so that I'm going to continue building and painting them to 2500 points rather than switching focus to my dwarfs.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:31 pm

I got massacred by don
massacred Sean
won against Barkley
Got massacred by nathan
and had a tie against Justin

I was not fully pained all weekend

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 am

Ok, here are the games that I have.  I'm guessing at the order so if you see a game out of place or want to add a game to the list please let me know:

Friday
1. Andre massacred Don
2. Don massacred Sean
3. Andre massacred Justin
4. Don massacred Justin
5. Darren beat Andre

Saturday
6. Andre massacred Nathan
7. Don massacred Dom
8. Darren massacred Nathan
9. Nathan massacred Don
10. Nathan massacred Don
11. Dom massacred Sean
12. Andre massacred Frank
13. Dom beat Barkley
14. Don tied Carson
15. Nathan beat Sean
16. Frank massacred Nathan
17. Don massacred Darren
18. Nathan massacred Dom
19. Don beat Barkley
20. Dom tied Justin

I know there are more games out there, Darren played more than this and so did Carson. If you could please complete this list I'd appreciate it so that I can update the ladder for the final push to playoffs. By the way, the league will end February 28 so get those games in. I believe Clark and Andre still have the top ladder spots and they are going to be tough to shift from those spots.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top