Fall and Winter 2013 League reporting thread

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fall and Winter 2013 League reporting thread

Post  Kuyp on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:55 pm

i had a game against Brent last night. we rolled blood and glory and three forests 2 buildings and a minus oe to LD within 6' thing.

he took turn one and moved every thing up and and gave everything within like 18' regen5+
my turn one i killed as a mounter hero along with about 5 knights, and managed to curse his skull-crushers.
his turn two his crushers and a unit of warriors charged my tree kin dealt a bunch of damage to me and ran me down leaving the warriors out of charge arc of some archers and the crushers sitting in a forest.
My turn two my wild riders charged his crushers and then cursed the crushers again and made the wild riders +1 T and S. no here's where the game really takes a turn for the worst and would set the pace for most of the rest of the game. his general on demonic mount was within short range of 24 glade guard, 10 more scouting glade guard, 10 way watchers, a lord with a no Armour save bow and another 12 glade guard at long range. my plan, pour every last arrow i have at him. so i started of with a unit of 12 glade guard at short range, they hit 8 times, wounded 7, he Armour saved 2 and ward saved one. dead general turn two against so many odds, and still the rest of my shooting was free to do as they saw fit.

Game was over right there but we played it out to see what happened. he manged to kill my wild riders scouting archers and two more units of glade guard, i killed most of the rest of his army with only a bsb, hell cannon and a skull crusher left.

Massacre for me first time we played and Brent was fully painted.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent_M on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:06 pm

I will add three comments:

1. Skullcrushers are sweet.
2. Waywatchers are jerks.
3. Rancid Visitations is a bad ass spell against Elves.

Brent_M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Brent_M wrote:I will add three comments:

1. Skullcrushers are sweet.
2. Waywatchers are jerks.
3. Rancid Visitations is a bad ass spell against Elves.
True. True. Very true.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Hey all you warhammer fans!

A classic match-up between the Orcs and their age-old enemies (but arn't they all) the vampire Counts led by Bob "the Grognard" Gonda

What a great game, Bob played the VampireCounts like a master, Keeping his patience and not committing until he had raised much Zombies and set up his late game set-ups. I did my best to counter his magic and engage some of his weaker units before he got to strong. I pounced on the opportunity in turn3 to charge his 5strong blood knights with a unit of 8 trolls. I smiled with the promise of victory until he mentioned to me that they carried a flaming banner:cry: 

Much chopping and hacking ensued, the trolls were demolished but I managed to take two of the bloodsuckers with them. Meanwhile my General on his trusty Wyvern and his sidekick da Big git (giant) continued to stomp and hack their way through a large skeleton unit while my Orc biguns bravely faced the GraveGuard and Vampire general.

The trolls demise gave bob the overrun into my biguns unit with a black coach and the remaining bloodknights but they came up a couple of inches short (THATS WHAT SHE SAID). Bob Had the game won at this point unless some miracle happened..........in walks the said miracle into the room as in the ensueing combat phase bobs troops whiffed and the grave guard crumbled leaving only a single wound left on the Vampire general. In walked a further miracle as Bobs general then miscasted and exploded from the magical feedback. When the dust settled it ended up a massacre for me. I was painted

Classic warhammer.

So far, in three games, the giant has been the star. I always maintained that they were no good in this edition but I really need to eat my words. Another key unit that enabled these miracles to occur was the simple Black Orc hero with a 4+ward save. He sucked up the Vampire Generals attacks for 2 rounds allowing the boyz to stick around and finally crumble the grave guard.

Until next time.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:47 pm

My Tomb Kings against Deckers Beastmen.

It was a fun game - just didn't work out like I planned. By the end of turn 2 There wasn't much left of the Tomb Kings. I should have known that the Beastmen would have been thrown into a frenzy seeing all those bones to chew on. Wink

We were both painted - massacre for Decker.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm

squalie wrote:My Tomb Kings against Deckers Beastmen.

It was a fun game - just didn't work out like I planned.  By the end of turn 2 There wasn't much left of the Tomb Kings.  I should have known that the Beastmen would have been thrown into a frenzy seeing all those bones to chew on. Wink

We were both painted - massacre for Decker.
You should have planned better like I did. I rolled snake-eyes on a break test exactly as planned, giving me the win (bottom of turn 1, my minobus had a break test at Ld3 with reroll). cheers 

Really fun game that was lucky to go my way. I had completely forgotten it was actually Blood and Glory until a ways after the game.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent_M on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 pm

I played Decker after he finished his game with Don. This was our second match and both armies had a few changes, standard pitched battle.

First turn saw some hounds run off by centigors and the first direct Hellcannon hit on his Gor herd.
Second turn involved the centigors being smashed by skullcrushers which set up his Gorgon's flank charge into the crushers, thankfully they stuck around. Two gor chariots charged into the Khorne knights on the other side of the board, killing three before being chopped up by a hero and chased away. Decker's gor herd had reformed to six ranks and killed a pack of dogs but failed to overrun into my Nurgle warriors. Since his minobus had also failed their charge, I was able to get off a double charge of Chaos Lord and Nurgle warriors at his Minotaurs (with Gorebull and General) Thanks to some good fire breathing, my general cut down his BSB in a challenge and the warriors did what they do best. Decker failed his snake eye break test and his general was run down. The skullcrushers survived another combat thanks to Decker missing all eight attacks with his Gorgon, but they still fled. The hellcannon scored another direct hit against the gor unit, bringing it down to a manageable four ranks.
Turn four had the gorgon turn his sights towards the hellcannon, who destroyed another chariot. While the Nurgle warriors and remaining Khorne knights charged the gors (with Lvl 4 shaman and BSB with Beast Banner) Both characters had Savage Beast cast on them but the wizard was cut down in a challenge before he got to attack (6attacks, 6hits, 6wounds, 2 wd saves on 4+, who said the world was fair) and the remaining gors were annihilated by the warriors. Man of the match goes to the never miss Hellcannon.

Overall crushing victory for me, both painted. Look forward to the next round.

Brent_M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:41 pm

So Brent and I had a game on Friday night.

The game was very close all throughout, but in the end Chaos was victorious. The game ended as a normal win for Brent, I believe he was painted, I was not.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

My Tomb Kings against Franks Tzeentch Daemons last night.

I had:

Heirophant General in 28 Archers
Flying Necrotect
4 chariots
4 Chariots
5 Necro Knights
5 Necro Knights
10 Ushabti, command
Catapult
Catapult
Casket

Franko had (from memory):

Lord of Change
BSB on disc
4 X 12 Horrors
3 X 4 Screamers
2 Tzeentch Chariots
Soulgrinder

I got first turn, moved everythng up and lifted the lid of the Casket, with promptly smothered both Chariots (whew) and bit into some Screamers before the lid fell shut. I was hoping I could get rid of the Chariots as I really didn't have another chance before they would have melted half my army. Tomb Kings have a tough time chasing high mobility units...obviously. His other Flank had the Lord of change and the Soulgrinder...yeesh. I fired both Catapults and scored a direct hit ('ol Stonethrower Matwe) and took 4 wounds off the Lord of Change. Woohoo! Great first turn.

Franks turn had him moving the 3 units of Screamers obviously gunning for my Casket and both Catapults so I knew I had little chance for error. His magic didn't do too much, which was the theme of the day for him. Franks dice simply didn't cooperate and Tzeentch reeeaaaalllyy needs those dice. Soft turn for him.

Second turn I charged Soulgrinder with Chariots, just scratched them, but the Chariots held. Moved everything else up as best I could. rolled a 4 for magic and stupid Casket didn't help so didn't do much. Frank had 6 channel attempts, rerolling ones (which he rolled) and still couldn't come up with extra dice. He rolled 12 once for magic and that was the only really good roll he had all day.

His second turn the Giant magical chicken charged the Chariots to help out the Grinder and I scooped the Chariots. His magic didn't do too much but his Screamers were all over my Catapults and Casket. Casket had a wound on it already from a spell (not used to that) and all three simply sunk back into the sand with the Casket making a popcorn fart as it disappeared not doing a single wound to any unit.

My turn had me charging pretty much everything and pretty much all Horror units disappeared except for the ones hiding in a building. Frank rolled on the Reign of Chaos table and all Daemons had a 4+ ward. Kind of annoying as it's amazing after all the dice I rolld still only doing a few wounds, combat res saw the Daemons being sent back to the warp though. Knights charged the Soulgrinder and eventually "ground" it down. My unit of Archers reformed after winning combat with Screamers (woohoo!) and promptly shot one arrow of the Asaph right in the eyeball of the Lord of Change causing a 600 point wound! That archer has now been painted Gold.Very Happy 

By now the BSB was floating around on his own, got chargerd by Chariots, Ushabti charged the building full of Horrors and in the end there was not much left.

Funny thing was that the only unit left when Frank extended his hand was a unit of Horrors created from a spell that didn't even give up VP's!

I scores a massacre win and was fully painted. Frank was not painted.

They Casket really helped at the beginning and Catapults still make me smile for their points.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent_M on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Played a game against Darren today, his ogres against my warriors. Pitched battle and he had the first turn.

After throwing his Maneater's as scouts on my left flank he moved his army forward and bounced a cannonball off my general's ward save.
My first turn saw a lucky 16" charge from my Khorne warriors into his giant, remainder of my army moved up in preparation for his charges. Some fluffed dice saw only two wounds against his giant, who summarily crushed my unit with jump up and down. They promptly fled despite steadfast.

Darren's turn two was all charges. Maneaters into hounds, giant and mournfang into skullcrushers, mournfang and bulls into chaos knights. Hounds were destroyed and his overrun killed the remaining khorne warriors. Crushers survived but he had +1 T on his units so not much damage dealt. Knights beat up on the bull and other mournfangs, chasing them all down on the pursuit.
I had a bloody turn two, charging my hellcannon into his maneaters, hounds into his mournfangs flank, nurgle warriors and general into his big unit of ironguts with butcher and BSB and remaining chaos knights into his cannon chariot. Maneaters drew even with hellcannon, skullscrushers with hound support won combat but nobody fled, nurgle warriors and general obliterated the ironguts unit, who were hitting on 6s thanks to Miasma. We both lost our spellcasters in that fight so no more magic. Knights ran down the chariot cannon.

Turn three carried on the skullcrusher and hellcannon combats. Crushers lost eventually and were chased down, allowing the giant and flying bruiser to charge into the hellcannon, who promptly died.
I charged my general into his last mournfang in turn four and moved the nurgle warriors, chariot and knights into better positions. Somehow my general failed to kill a lone mournfang, so he got to be charge by a unit of bulls, a unit of maneaters and a giant. He survived the combat and fled far enough to survive. After heroically surviving that turn, he was impressively shot down by maneaters' pistols... Darren's flying bruiser also killed my chariot.

Remainder of the game saw the warriors kill off the giant and bulls and my knights kill his mournfang and chase down his maneaters.

Not much left on the table at the end but I had a minor victory. Good ol bloodbath it was.

Brent_M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Mr Justin and I had a game yesterday. his horde of ratmen vs my daemons. haven't done this match up before.
I had turn one, managed to roll two 6's for power dice first time ever with daemons, giving me 10 free Plaguebarrers that i dropped right behind Justins army. 6 diced non-irresistable force on #6 lore of metal spell. turning quite a few rat men into Golden Statues. threw the next 6 dice at a Searing Bolt on some of his rat snipers. killing them. had one cannon in position to hit both his Abomination and his Warplightning cannon. only managed to get his Abomination with 1 wound. then my 2nd cannon only managed to destroy his warp cannon in one shot. phew. Justins turn had his doomwheel run up and throw out three str 10 shots. popping one of my cannons lucky for me my ward save kept my Soulgrinder alive for one of the shots and the 3rd shot only managed to do one wound. my plaguebarrers charged the rear of his unit with the furnace in it and got utterly destroyed, i had hoped they would last one turn but no such luck. this round saw some combat including a doomwheel vs soulgrinder. me managing to win by 1 but unable to chase down the doomwheel. my bloodthirster ran into his large unit of plague monks iwth the furnace and managed to rip down the furnace in the first round of combat. but poison globe throwing rats can shoot into combat so the thirster took down most of the horde or monks including a lvl 2 but one brave monk poked the Daemon in the eye for the final blow. had my horde of Letters in the flank of his bell pushing unit with his lvl 4. i made the mistake of challenging the Grey Seer who just ran away and sat ontop of the bell. turning into a long combat of me trying to kill a 6 wound tough 6 bell with a 4+ ward. and on the turn i would have killed it justin manages to ring the bell with tripple 6's. blowing it up and taking a good chunk of the now tough 2 bloodletters with it! almost like the clever rats had planned it! i managed to roll box cars again and got another 8 free Plaguebarrers that just sat in the corner failing charges haha. Justin had a unit of Super Rat Slaves that managed to overwhelm a Skullcannon. and finish my remaining Bloodletters. Ninja Rats! was definitley a bloodbath. justin had a unit of slaves and Globe throwers left. and i had my Herald on a Throne, my Daemonettes. my Soulgrinder and my free Plaguebearers left at the end. lots more happened in that game but my memory isn't what it use to be.

Victory for me.

Neither painted (justin was almost)

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Sounds like a fun battle.

Its good to see Demons and Skaven...those armies were not that popular for awhile.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Had 3 games yesterday with my High Elves.

Loss against Justins Lizardmen - I was painted. Fiery Convocation took 21 Swordmasters in one shot and took a piece of my soul.

Massacre Loss against Sean's Khorne/Slaanesh Daemons - again painted.

Loss against Franks Mono Tzeentch Daemon list ( close game) - yup, still painted.

My Elves need some tweaking.

We played these at the gamesday at my house in little 'ol Moose Jaw. Smaller turnout than normal but we had a good time eating pizza and playing Warhammer all day.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Was.definitley a ton of fun. Thanks for having us Don! Was a good game too. Swordmasters didnt get to do very much.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 am

Me and Frank also had a game on saturday. his Daemons of tzeentch. vs my Daemons of Khorne. So lots of realm of chaos stuff going on. unfortunatly for frank that ended up with him rolling LOTS of 6's. which is the only one on the chart that hurts tzeentch. and he managed to roll this for all 4 of his magic phases. where as i managed to roll straight 7's which is where nothing happens. overall good game. lots of 5+ wards going on. haha

Crushing Victory for Me - Neither Painted

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 am

So Don had 3 games, Frank and Sean had 2, and Justin had 1? Is that it? If so, I'll update the ladder.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:32 am

nathanr wrote:So Don had 3 games, Frank and Sean had 2, and Justin had 1?  Is that it?  If so, I'll update the ladder.

You are correct Sir

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 am

The ladder has been updated with Sean knocking off Don and taking third place.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:04 am

Justin and I had a game on monday. his Skaven vs my DoC. Justin kicked my ass. couldnt break his two unbreakable towers. he just kinda shoved them through whatever daemons got in his way. his doomwheel ate some fiends on slannesh. pritty much end of game i had a bloodthirster (that had spent the game rolling 2-2-1 on his charge dice failing 3/4 of his attempted charges) and a unit of daemonettes left. was a good game, towers are mean.

Victory for Justin. neither painted

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:50 pm

I played 2 games on Friday night:

First one was against Andre's dwarfs. The Highlight for me from the game was a triple charge on a unit of slayers. It took every attack I had but in the end the final slayer was stomped into the dust by the mount of a pegasus rider. I also managed to take down a unit of miners who unexpectedly popped up in my backfield with a unit of knights of the realm pushing their human shield of 3 paladins in front of them. The game ended in a massacre for me, we were both painted I think and it was not a ladder challenge. (I had meant to issue my wildcard but I forgot to tell Andre that until the game was over!)

Second was against Zacks flying list of doom. Killing blow at S4 is a bretonnian player's worst nightmare and his ripperdactyls did not disappoint. Unfortunately for Zack, despite his best efforts I just had too many paladins for him to killing blow them all. Massacre for me, but it was not a league game since apparently Zack isn't in the league.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:38 am

Ran up against Justins Rat Towers last night with my empire. my men just couldn't pull it through. and Justin rolled like a boss on his bell ringing skills.

Victory For Justin.

Neither Painted

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Played Nathan A. today, 2500 pts of my beasts (all painted) vs his orcs (a couple of units weren't painted).

We used the random terrain table (with slight adjustments) and the random scenario. We rolled 8 pieces of terrain, one of which was box cars, which meant 3 buildings, 1 set of obstacles, and a banestone. We probably should have moved onto a 4x8 table at that point, since the terrain made it a silly game. We set the table up with a little wiggle room, then rolled meeting engagement (corners deployment, at least 12" apart). I won the roll for sides, which gave me a huge advantage since the angled deployment had one nice corner and one brutal corner.

We both used nearly the same lists as we used at the tournament last weekend - best overall vs best general.

Nathan had some bad luck in magic (never got a spell off with 3 magic phases on a L3 mage), which meant my herdstone powered magic phase was very significant in the game. Overall, the key dice rolls didn't really go Nathan's way with shooting being underwhelming (3 war machines shooting most of the game) and key combats which were essentially 50/50 (arachnarok + 30 black orcs and BSB vs my 39 gors + BSB) going my way. In that combat, I challenged with my beast banner BSB to protect him from black orcs. Nathan's BSB was T5, 2+ save and had a great weapon vs my 3 S5 attacks, which dropped him in a round. Had his BSB stayed alive and caused 1 wound, it would have been a draw or 1 CR win for him. Had he killed my BSB, he would have likely steamrolled me by dropping my unit to S3. My BSB on 3 rerollable S5 attacks killed his BSB, showing I was truly favoured by Tzeentch on this day, and giving me a narrow win (then the next turn with some hot dice I killed both the arachnarok and broke the black orcs).

Game ended with my L4 wizard charging his wyvern general on turn 6, then turning into a greater fire dragon. His attacks bounced off my T8 2+ saves, I burned and tore apart his wyvern (wasn't able to wound his general) then I ran down his general who had broken from combat.

So unfavourable terrain and some key bad luck led to a massacre in my favour. I definitely owe Nathan a rematch.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:39 pm

The ungor raider scouts reported to Maugrim that there was a host of chaos warriors coming directly towards the beastmen force. From the description, Maugrim surmised that this was the host of the Chaos Lord who had recently had a crushing defeat against Maugrim's own force. Seeing his forces depleted from his recent battles, the tzeentch beastlord knew he would need reinforcements. He set his Raughaf the Ageless, his force's Great Bray Shaman to binding some beasts from the wild. On the day of the battle, Maugrim's force arrived, supplemented by a pair of Jabberslythes - providing speed to overwhelm the Chaos Warriors while driving them mad.

Played 2500 pts of my Beastmen (fully painted with two new Jabberslythes) vs Brent's Chaos Warriors (fully painted with a great looking new warshrine).

The game was meeting engagement. Brent didn't have much in reserve (just marauder horsemen I believe), while I had two units of raiders, a jabberslythe, a L1 shaman, and a big block of ungors.

Brent had 11 T5 chosen of nurgle with a chaos lord, another unit of nurgle warriors with a BSB, a L2 nurgle sorceror, 5 khorne knights with a hero, 5 slaanesh marauder horsemen, a hellcannon, a shaggoth, a chariot and some hounds. I had 40 ungors, 30 bestigors with my beastlord, 40 gors with AHW and BSB, 2 jabbers, 2 units of raiders, 2 razorgors, 2 L1 shadows and a L4 death around the herdstone. Very importantly, my bestigors did not have a musician.

For deployment, Brent was pretty far forward with everything aside from the hellcannon. I deployed further back, knowing I had a bunch in reinforcements. Gameplan was to try to snipe off his BSB, and to try to have the jabbers knock off a few wounds here and there as they swooped around to take out his support units. I had the two non-leadership sniper spells, soulblight, and doom and darkness (perfect spell selection for me IMO).

Highlights:
-Every shot (5 times I believe), his hellcannon hit. I never panicked from it (Ld8 without reroll a few times, and Ld7 with reroll a few times).
-Every turn, I had all of Brent's non-immune to psychology units covered by the aura of madness. Only once did he fail, losing two wounds on his chariot and killing it on a turn I'm not too sure would have mattered (removed a charging razorgor from a multi-combat). Fun to make the tests, but general's leadership + BSB reroll made it insignificant (and my sniper spells didn't do damage until turn 6).
-Turn 1 I miscast, rolled a 3, but my shaman was out of the unit. On a big template of S10, there were 3 failed rolls to wound, and a 4+ look out sir meant only a single ungor dies.
-Turn 2, Brent miscast channeling at arcane ruins. S6 hit, which failed so only removed one power die.
-I basically won the game on one big magic phase. I managed to get off miasma (-3 weapon skill) on his chosen + lord who were in combat with gor horde to the front and jabberslythe in the flank. Doom and darkness on the same unit. Miasma on his nurgle warriors who (along with chariot) were in combat with my ungor block. Finally, bubble soulblight (Brent used all dice to stop this and failed). That resulted in a dead general unit, a combined charge overrun with a jabberslythe into the rear of the warshrine (in combat with my other jabber), and almost no wounds against my ungors who consequently held for an extra turn.
-On the next turn, where he would have broken my big ungor block which was frustrating his nurgle warriors block, Brent miscast, rolled a 3 and lost 8 or so warriors. One less rank to negate my steadfast meant one more round of combat.
-The first jabberslythe that was in combat with the warshrine lasted 3 rounds (1 rear charge so no carrier guy attacks) after getting charged by flail marauders. It later charged the hellcannon and survived through three rounds with 2 wounds left, surviving the game with a wound (I charged the hellcannon since it was unlikely to kill me in a round, but lasting 3 rounds of 5 S5 and 3 S3 attacks was ridiculous).
-The jabberslythes were fun. I took them because I figured they could do well against warriors - if anybody. Aura was surprisingly useless aside from the chariot, which was pretty handy I think. The tongue attack is useless because you can't march and shoot. Spurting blood wasn't too bad - it creates a neat eye for an eye situation. If my gor horde hadn't made their 7 to charge the chosen, the jabber was in base contact with the chaos lord and 1 chosen. 5 chaos lord attacks would have meant a hit directly on a WS9 (rolled +1 WS as a gift) nurgle chaos lord for each wound caused. Probably doesn't cause much, but it's not a threat that can be ignored. They were good enough for me to test them again - in some ways, just how hard most units were limited the effectiveness of them. They should be good against any armies that don't have many war machines.
-My two main combat units were at basically no fighting capacity at the end of the game, but they didn't give up any points, which meant massacre for me. Overall, the game was really close. Multiple spells either went off by 1, or were dispelled by matching scores (both ways). I made a few 7-8" rolls for charges at key times, and I made my panic test rolls for the hell cannon every turn.
-Brent played a great game. The only thing I think might have been a mistake was that he was a little overaggressive turn 1 and put his shaggoth in a vulnerable position which cost him the shaggoth. On the other hand, that took my general way out of position, and without a musician in the unit he couldn't swift reform to move back, so it worked out quite well, and could have easily cost me either my general's unit or my BSB's unit on a hellcannon shot.

So basically, my lucky horseshoe continues to function.

Result: Massacre for me.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:02 pm

2 games against justins Lizzy men in the last week. vs my empire

first game we rolled Watchtower, and me having no core under 20 models made it so i couldn't occupy it at the beginning giving Justin first turn allowing him to get 40 saurus warriors into the tower before i could get anything there. halberders are not up to the challenge of knockin 40 saurus out of a tower let me tell you, ouch. i managed to wipe EVERYTHING else off the board but couldn't budge that tower and on turn 4 we rolled a 6 and ended the game. stupid watchtowers

Victory for Justin Neither Painted

2nd game was straight battle line. Justin running a very combat heavy lizard list. i must say pure combat with only buffing spells is very fun warhammer. we just got to focus on moving our units around and didn't have to worry about losing a horde to a 6 diced spell. little shooting on both sides allowed a massive blood fest. i must say tried a pigion bomb on my engie. and it managed to go off the first 2 times i fired, taking about 10 saurus with the poor little pigion each time. unfortunatly testing the str 2 mortar against T4 lizzys was not spectacular so they didn't do much untill they got eaten by a Old Blood On A Carnosaur (scarry tough general) the Carnosaur also ate my general and the altar he was on haha. Also found out un supported Greatswords dont match up well vs Saurus Warriors but stubborn allowed me to hold out to a man! Steam tank is so many fun, i understand the benifit of random movement now, means i can charge w/e i want. but its not so much a steam tank as it is a steam battering ram. fun game. we ended 1500 lost from me and 1000 lost from justin.

Victory for Justin Neither Painted

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Played Nathan A today. 2500 pts of my beasts (painted) vs his orcs (still a few units unpainted, but it's progressing).

Once again random terrain rolling one of the cities (3 buildings, 1 obstacles, 1 dwarf brewery). Also a banestone and a scree slope. I also rolled meeting engagement for the third game in a row. Once again, I won the choice of sides. I picked a corner that wasn't really ideal, since it put the banestone right in the center of Nathan's deployment zone.

My list was identical to last game against Brent (2 jabberslythes). Nathan's list was very similar to last time we played, just with a L1 NG shaman instead of a spear chukka.

My 2 L1's had miasma, and my L4 had spirit leach, caress of laniph, soulblight and doom and darkness. Nathan had the two orc sniper spells and hand of gork, along with curse of the bad moon on his L1 shaman.

Nathan was really unhappy with his magic. I basically got what I wanted, though the sniper spells tend didn't do too much. Considering my characters were quite lightly protected, Nathan's two sniper spells basically meant I was letting him get off hand of gork whenever he cast it. Twice, it was a total waste because he rolled really low on his 3D6", and the other time, he moved to flank my bestigors if they charged his arachnarok in turn 6. So he was hurt by his rolling there. However, with me having soulblight and miasma (bubble miasma turn 5 and 6), I was really able to dominate combats at key times.

It was a bit of a strange game. Nathan started the game without his general on the table, but my deployment didn't let me take advantage of it. Turn 1, my jabber swooped within 12" of his wolf riders on a flank, which nuked them (rolled an 11, so 5 wounds out of 5 models). The other one swooped forward behind a building, since his night goblins were screening his war machines. Nathan's army was basically bunched together on the back of the table. There were some gaps that his arachnarok and wyvern filled. His rock lobba misfired and died turn 1.

Turn 1 and 2, his black orcs and savage orcs were slowed by miasma and barely moved. Turn 1 got doom and darkness on his night goblins, and he only got 4 power dice in the next phase so left it on. The night goblins were within 6" of the banestone, and not within 12" of the BSB, so they needed to make a Ld5 test without reroll when my jabber charged them. That went through the general and through his doom diver, and off the table (with the shaman, but there were no fanatics).

Next turn, the arachnarok charged and killed my jabber, who only did a single wound. The game was really cagey for a few teams, with me advancing slowly.

A highlight was turn 4 I believe when I tried to combo charge his black orcs with my gor horde and my jabberslythe. My gors didn't make it (needed an Cool, but my jabber did. I expected the worse, but my jabber killed the BSB with his 5 attacks, took 4 wounds (bled 2 wounds back on the unit), then thunderstomped 6 times (3 wounds I thing). Nathan had used great weapons, which meant that in the next turn, I got full attacks and a thunderstomp before dying. That left the black orcs free crippled (I think 10 or so total Black orcs were gone) and Nathan's army without a BSB with my chance to countercharge.

In turn 5, I charged Nathan's black orcs with my gor horde supported by a bubble soulblight that affected all Nathan's models on the table. They hit the black orcs, broke them, and overran into Nathan's general on wyvern (but Nathan came within a parry of killing my BSB).

Nathan had held some boar boyz off until turn 4, so they were ready to go in turn 5. They made a big charge and hit the rear of my gor horde. It was a draw round 1, but I killed the wyvern from below Nathan's general, and killed a few boar boyz while my BSB survived. The fight went 3 rounds without either side failing, with the boars being affected by soulblight turns 2 and 3 (I think I lost round 2 and 3 - rear is a big bonus to make it back from). My unit was down to 2 ranks, Nathan's general had taken a wound, and there was only a banner left for the boars.

Turn 6, Nathan also set a trap for my general and bestigors. He angled the arachnarok in front of them, with the savage orcs ready to countercharge me if I did. He left just enough space, that I could swift reform and move out of the charge path of the savage orcs. That left me wide open to a rear charge from the arachnarok, though Nathan didn't go for it. He wanted to take the last wound of my wizard with a sniper spell, which was probably more reliable to collect points.

In the last turn, Nathan rolls 12 for magic, with no channeling. I say "your wizard is going to get sucked into the warp". Nathan first snipers one of my herdstone shamans with 6 dice, miscasts, kills the shaman, and rolls dimensional cascade for the miscast! Rolls to see if his wizard is sucked into the warp....3. No more wizard to try sniping my GBS.

We count up the points (not much of substance was actually dead), and Nathan had 1110 pts, while I collected 1250ish pts. A win of the narrowest margins for me. Had Nathan not had his great shaman sucked into the warp, he would have won by 105-110 pts. Very good game - amusingly, neither the savage orc unit (+ shaman) nor my bestigor unit (+ general) reached combat all game. Just that kind of a cagey game.

Result: Minor win for me.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top