An Empire Middenland army, 2500pts, for next month's tournie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

An Empire Middenland army, 2500pts, for next month's tournie

Post  Beastie-gor on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Please comment, on my Blue on light blue Middenland army.

Lords
Grandmaster - general, GW, the White cloak of Ulric (Ihave the white wolf grand master)
Battle Wizard on Pegasus - power stone, Life? Death? Beasts? (may swap this out for Bathasar Gelt. Gelt has lore master Metal)

Heros
Captain - BSB, FP, shield, Dawnstone
Warrior Priest - Armour of Meteric Iron, GW

Core
38 Halberdiers, FC (WP and Captain here)
 9 swordsmen (3x3 detachment)
 9 swordsmen (3x3 det)

10 Archers
 5 archer (det)
 5 archer (det)

9 Inner Circle Knights (white wolf)- GW, mus, Standard (grandmaster here)

Special
5 Reiksguard Knights
3 Demigryphan Knights, mus
2xCannon

Rare:
Steam tank

This comes too around 2375 therefore there is room to add some pieces.  Please take a look and leave your comments below!

To play this army I would place the archer units and the halberds together.  This provides ample supply of chaff around the halberds.  I am hoping that with them I would be able to pick my target... I see that I missed adding the crown of command which I think that I want to add to my warrior priest (or upgrade to Arch Lector).  The stubborn halberds would pass stubborn to their swordsmen detachments. The swordsmen would then become a pretty decent speed bump.

Using Cloak of Ulric and white wolves with Great Weapons would be a fluff thing.  However, I think a pretty powerful choice at S6 and 2+ armour save.  I am a bit concerned that the unit might be a bit small to be a good main combat unit.  I am leaning towards beasts for the Wiz on Pegasus.

Beastie-gor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Empire Middenland army, 2500pts, for next month's tournie

Post  squalie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Good to see you here Rob!

Not too much wrong with this list, and I'm not sure what to fill the extra 125 points with. What other modeks do you have for options? You could pump the Reiksguard up to 10 if you have the models.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beastie-gor on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

I have an assortment of just about everything that predated the new release - infantry, cavalry, artillary, and lords/heros.  Unfortunately, I have to convert some things if I want to include them (halberds, Knights) soooo... I have converted two old bretonian Cavlary into two more white wolf... and they actually look... ok.  

I am thinking about making the White Wolf a unit of 12, up from 10.  I have them currently as inner circle Knights which add +1S to the unit and gives them a chance to take a magic banner.  Not sure if this is too worth while as they already come with strength 5 due to the GW.  Since I can take a magic banner I do want to make use of it.  Perhaps the Steal Standard which helps with movement and charges is the best?  Or the leadership banner would be better since the unit includes the general?

I am strongly considering taking the Grandmaster with the following magic items: Rung Fang (85pts) and other tricksters shard (15pts).  This killing machine would have a decent +1armour save, high I and WS with 4 Attacks that auto wound with no armour save possible.  The shard would then make models reroll their ward saves.  This is the best character killing build that I can come up with.  The weakness is that this GM would have no ward save of his own.    

Main question at this point:  How big of a difference do you find 6 Strength over 5S on 10 attacks?  Is it worth 33 points to get this S bonus?  
Also: With a powerful character killing lord would you added the steel standard to his unit (to help him make his cavalry charge)?

Beastie-gor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:53 pm

If your going to have great weapons on your cav don't get the inner circle upgrade. S6 is way better then S5 but the loss to armour and increase in points I personally don't find it worth it. Inner circle is for dudes with lances that way they become better on the charge and can still dish out some okay damage after that all the while keeping that 1+ save

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beastie-gor on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:44 am

For the tournie, I will be playing Battleline, Blood and Glory, and Battle for the Pass.

Same basic list with the following changes and suggestions that you made:
I will drop the Knights down to the S5 GW and not get the Inner Circle Upgrade as suggested. I think that adding two knights to this unit would be prudent investment. I will add the crown of command to the on foot warrior priest (halberd unit).

This gives me about 100pts to add to the list. Here are some options:

1) add a lvl1 Wiz on foot to the archers and Dispell scroll.

2) add a mounted warrior priest with some goodies to the Knights with GW. The Grandmasters items will have to be modified to create better syn-energy between himself and the WP's prays

3) add a new unit: motor (100pts), 10 huntsmen (archers with scout, 80pts), pistoliers (vanguard, 90pts)?

4) Changing the Reiksguard Knights into inner circle kngihts (saving a few points in the process) and adding 4-5 more knights. Would then be looking for the points to give them a standard and mus which might be a problem. An advantage is that this unit becomes survivable and will help in the Blood and Glory scenario. The biggest problem I see with this is that the Reiksguard knights at current are a chaff unit and with the change the knights are no longer chaff.

Beastie-gor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beastie-gor on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:01 pm

I spent the points for the Rieksguard knights and full command.  FC on my Halberds too.  I am hoping to save my vanilla Warrior Priests with the champs (accept challenges) for at least a round of close combat..!  A champ isn't needed with the Grandmaster as I think he can handle his own with this build.  What do you think?

Lords/Heros
Grandmaster - general, Giant Blade, 5+ward talisman (2+armour save)
Battle Wizard on Pegasus - lvl4, 4+ward talisman (Beasts)

Captain - BSB, FP, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield
Warrior Priest - HA, Sh
Warrior Priest on barded horse - HA, Sh

Core
38 Halberdiers, FC (WP and Captain)
 Det 9 swordmen (3x3)
 Det 9 swordmen

10 Archers
 Det 5 archer
 Det 5 archer

9 Knights (white wolf)- GW, mus, Standard (Grandmaster here)

Special
9 Reiksguard Knights - FC (Warrior Priest)
3 Demigryphan Knights - mus
2xCannon

Rare
Steam Tank

.... Oh ya... I have come around and I think that Don might have it right. The Reiksguard Knights might be better as a bigger unit! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Beastie-gor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beastie-gor on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 pm

[quote="Beastie-gor"]I spent the points for the Rieksguard knights and full command.  FC on my Halberds too.  I am hoping to save my vanilla Warrior Priests with the champs (accept challenges) for at least a round of close combat..!  A champ isn't needed with the Grandmaster as I think he can handle his own with this build.  What do you think?

Lords/Heros
Grandmaster - general, Giant Blade, 5+ward talisman (2+armour save)
Battle Wizard on Pegasus - lvl4, 4+ward talisman (Beasts)

Captain - BSB, FP, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield
Warrior Priest - HA, Sh
Warrior Priest on barded horse - HA, Sh

Core
38 Halberdiers, FC (WP and Captain)
 Det 9 swordmen (3x3)
 Det 9 swordmen

10 Archers
 Det 5 archer
 Det 5 archer

9 Knights (white wolf)- GW, mus, Standard (Grandmaster here)

Special
9 Reiksguard Knights - FC (Warrior Priest)
3 Demigryphan Knights - mus
2xCannon

Rare
Steam Tank

.... Oh ya... I have come around and I think that Don might have it right.  The Reiksguard Knights might be better as a bigger unit!   Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Thanks Kuyp for the tip on the Inner Circle Knights. That was a big help with working out the points.

Beastie-gor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:53 am

Couldn't the Grandmaster have a 1+ with a simple sheild? Other than that looks fine. I never understood the Giant Blade, but then again I've never tried it. Just seems soooo expensive.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beastie-gor on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks Don for pointing that out.  A shield is 4pts but the charmed shield is 5pts so I will modify to carry that.  To make it fit I loose the R Knight champ.  I then had enough points to take GW on both warrior priests.  I think this will make a more powerful lists.  I will just have to remember to caste the pray for the 5+ward more often then not.

Edit to add: Oh ya... giant blade... I havent' tried it either. However, most of the people that I am expecting will be bringing tooled up Rn'F killers. I am hoping that my GM can hold up to a flying Daemon Prince or Vampire count on Pegesus??? Quality of attacks over quantity Crying or Very sad 

Beastie-gor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:07 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top