Onslaught in Edmonton

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Onslaught in Edmonton

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 am

I of course ran into the infamous net warriors list that featured the pimped out nurgle deamon prince and an exalted on a disc with 3+ward and reroll 1's shit. Those two characters killed my entire army by themselves other than a khorne chariot that killed my Arachnarok.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Wow sounds nasty guys. no fun

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:34 pm

I played with an Empire list that was selected by my wife, so by no stretch was I coming with optimised tools. Overall though, I think Onslaught has a good mix mix of guys who are there to WIN games, and guys there to PLAY games. As a participant you have to know you could either type of player. I'd say 3 of my 4 games were against guys who wanted PLAY. For those wish to win, you have to bring right stuff.
To illustrate what I mean by that, let's use the old addage "You can't bring a knife to a gunfight". "You can, however decide if you want to shoot for the kneecaps or the face."(That last bit is my own quote)
Dom happened to face 2 guys that were there to put the boots in. Good guys generally (i've known them for over a decade), but at tournaments, they want to be the winners. The overall winner, Cory Burns, is good enough to realize when 'Enough is enough', and that's why he won overall. He brings the filth to the table, so that he has the tools to match up against any opposition, but doesn't necessarily employ it to its fullest if he doesn't have to. He has an excellent gauge on the flow of the battle, and is better than most of us at being able to assess who's winning and losing, even before it is blatantly obvious. That allows him to back off a bit. So, when not going for the jugular, it curries a bit of favour in his opponents so that they still get some enjoyment from playing Warhammer with him.
When thinking about tournament play, this is what I strive for, and hope that others do too.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the weekend. All 4 of my opponents were good, friendly guys that I'd have no problem playing again. This tournament just reminded me again of what an exceptionally great group of gamers we have here in Saskatoon.

I fully enjoyed my first game and while he beat me in points, I managed to win due to the blood or glory scenario. My opponent was a good guy and while I could tell that he hated to lose that game he wasn't a poor sport about it. He had a hard empire list with 2 units of tricked out knights and a bunch of war machines but I don't think it was broken in any way.

My second game was against the same chaos warriors list that Carson met in the first round. It is hard to go into a game knowing that you most likely don't have a chance of winning. I did give it my all and it nearly worked, I even got lucky and killed his disc-riding character but my luck ran out and his daemon prince ran out of things to kill.

Third game I lost because I was stupid. My opponent was playing a very tricked-out Bretonnian list (if such a thing exists) and I pretty much let him charge me. I let him outmanouver me and my luck failed me as well. That said, my opponent seemed like a great guy and it was nice to see the Brets do well for a change, even if it was against my army!

Last game was against a great dwarf player with a list much like I'd run myself. He was clearly there to have fun and play the game. I ran into some bad luck when my silverhelms charged and failed to wound a lone dragon slayer on his last wound. That opened up their flank to a unit of great weapon-wielding warriors that otherwise would have been stuck without an opponent for the rest of the game. A well-aimed stone thrower rock cut my swordmaster unit in half the turn before they were to charge which pretty much sealed my fate. I also fully enjoyed playing this game even though it ended in a massacre.

I still prefer the local tournaments here only because the participants generally have a much more laid-back approach. I've always seen a tournament as nothing more than a fun day of Warhammer and I participate for the fun of playing the game that I love. I'm not a huge fan of competitive Warhammer if only because I've seen the sometimes ugly side-effects that sort of mentality can create. I went to this tournament quite naively thinking that it would be much the same as our local tournaments. I guess when you get that many players with their eye on the prize you are bound to get a little more competitive. The next time I come to one of these I'll definitely be more prepared.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Interesting indeed. so are you saying for the next tourney it would be a smart idea to bring a harder list? or would that be frowned upon still or?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

If I attend another out of town tournament I will bring a harder list. Business as usual here in Saskatoon though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:28 pm

i think if i was going to an out of town tourney i too would want a harder list. good to know. but agreed in our group nice friendly lists work for me!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Like Khorne Daemon Princes instead of Nurgle right? Only 3 skullcrushers instead of 4!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 pm

My second game vrs the dark elf player seeing his list I knew fron the start I was going to have a tough time, however I did have a plan of the start and the special points I could not have executed better if I tried. That said I shot myself in the foot with my deployment, it made for a long treck across the board facing that much magic. Also I didn't give my opponent enough credit for being a good player of the start, I fully underestimated his skill level and that made me make a poor choice turn one that put the nails in the coffin before turn two it was just a matter of time before I would surly lose.
Not to mention that my luck was awful from game two on, and that made my games really un-enjoyable

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:42 pm

nathanr wrote:Like Khorne Daemon Princes instead of Nurgle right?  Only 3 skullcrushers instead of 4!
hey now. I could be worse. plus I have already said im not bring Daemons Princes anymore and for the most part not my WoC cuz no one has fun facing them lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 pm

I went in knowing I had a soft list but was hoping for 2 wins. After seeing the armies there I knew I would go 0-4. That being said, both of my opponents were good guys, I just wasn't expecting the armies there to be as tough as they were. Too bad I got sick as I really wanted to play,

The Chaos army I faced though really was garbage. purely a cut and paste list. Can't see how anyone could have fun in a game against that. Everyone knows you can make a winning chaos army without resorting to that extreme.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:16 pm

My experience:

Very much enjoyed myself and I think I got a little lucky with my match ups.

First game was against another Tomb King army! He had a pretty normal list with Ramhotep that was a nice influence on his unit of Necro Knights. I was doing very well against his list, but since the scenario was Blood and Glory, his Spirit Leech on my General (rolling a six) was enough for me to extend my hand and give him the win. Super nice guy and a fun game. Never felt bad about it at all.

Second game was against the coolest guy at the event. Inexperienced player with a Wood Elf list but just wanted to play Warhammer. My first shot with my Catapult lit his Treeman on fire and I just kept rolling forward after that. By turn 4 he didn't have a model on the table but was the guy that got my Sportsman vote. Really nice guy and a very fun game as he took a loss better than anyone I know.

Third game against a pleasant guy with a 2 Phoenix, big block of Phoenix Guard, with a character filled horde of spearmen. He was a nice guy until his winning turned to him starting to lose around turn 5. His demeanor and attitude changed dramatically when the tables turned to my favour. Still wasn't a bad game but didn't deserve the sports score I gave him. Felt good about the win. He had a hard list for High Elves.

Last game was against a pretty nice guy (again) playing a Thorek warmachine list with a horde of Longbeard Rangers with great weapons and strength 5 throwing axes. Holy moly is that a tough unit. Really good game though as barely a model left on either side by the end. My catapult single shotted the Thorek anvil which made me cog my Catapults. Rarely fail me that crew. I did get a little whiny during this game as so many things surprised me in that list that I just stood stupified half the game. A little embarrassed about that but that's the kinds of things to expect at a bigger tourny. No one to blame but myself and my lack of preparedness.

So I went 2-2 and at the end during awards ended up 3rd for presentation and 2nd for sportsmen (out of 34 guys?). I had a really good time and any criticizms I had about the weekend had nothing to do with the Warhammer tourny.Very Happy 

I will definitely do this again and more often. It will only get cheaper and easier with a little more planning. At the pub later in the evening I was told by a few guys that since the Saskatoon fellows seemed like such nice guys that there would be a few guys from Calgary and Edmonton that would offer their homes for the next weekend. I think that says a lot about our gaming crew. We left a good impression.

What more can you ask for?!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:02 pm

For those that missed it, here's some pictures from the Onslaught. You guys were really missed, it was a fun time and enough things learned to make next year even better.

Very, very nice Bretonnian army.  Worth buying actually.

Cool looking Ogre army owned by a rude dude. This fellow won best overall.

Neat idea for a Cauldron.

Picture doesn't do this Giant Night Goblin justice!! Very themed army. Some guys were there just to have fun.

Paul Tings Khorne army.

Dom s***faced and Scott trying to look introspective.

Kieran and Nathan. Nathan reaching for his wallet - man, this guy paid for everything! Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Nice pictures Don! I should have taken some pictures, there were some really nice-looking armies there. It was really cool to play in a tournament where the armies were required to be fully painted.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 pm

armies look like they had alot of customization to them too eh?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Results were posted on the facebook page today for those interested

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:20 am

Great Pics....Tings army looks crazy

Love Tournaments and mega battles.....have to build up my forces and get back to the table soon.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:27 am

Derek, where have you been?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:54 pm

Just moved back from Vancouver.....lots of gaming out there...I really got the itch again.

Miss my armies....oh well...building a new one now.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top