Traitor!!... 40k questions

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Traitor!!... 40k questions

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:58 am

Agree with all of the above points made........so when do we start?Very Happy 

Maybe we should do like a group project for laughs and a break from fantasy building......say 5 figs or 1 vehicle per month on a devoted thread. Nothing too time consuming but just a small side line.

Or maybe I'm having a nervous breakdown right now.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I have a nervous breakdown everyday over this hobby.

Ok, this is for Zach as he seems to be our resident 40k guru. I would like to play Eldar and use as many "wraith" units as possible. Not sure how boring it would be and I could be talked out of it as I'm basically building an army that I think would look cool.

I'd also like Tyranids as they are bugs with fangs! Seriously - that's awesome. I also love how they look, and think they'd be fun. Are they reall that uncommon of any army? I like the idea of playing something few others do.

Hm, was trying to decide, but I think I just did. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:29 pm

One really cool thing 40k is doing now is the codex supplements (by cool I mean money grubbing greedy bastards cutting army book content to later release it for more money). The first one to come out was iyaden, the eldar craft world that was devestated by tyranids and so now relies on their wraiths to fight. The supplement come with a bunch of Iyadn specific fluff and a few new army entries, like shadow councils instead of seer councils, or taking a wraithknight as your warlord, as well as making wraith guard/blades troops instead of elites.

Then again you've got tyranids, who ruined said craft world, with all their tyrants trygons, mawlocks, carnifex, tyrannofex, tervigons.....and so on. Oddly enough you may end up with more pyskers as tyranids than eldar, and biomancy was tailor made for them. They dont really get to modify their troops though, so you'll be stuck having to field some gaunts. Though if I remember right each unit of gaunts unlocks a tervigon, a big beastie that can take a spell and spawn more gaunts AND buff said gaunts...

So how about them lizardmen, I hear they are the August release.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:28 pm

This sounds confusing. But small side line project i agree with!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:22 pm

I just love Sundays that rain.....here I've been eating, painting, and checking the net all day instead of working for an animal that I eat as often as possible. wait a minute....I'm talking about cows not any other type of animal if you know what I mean.

my kind of day, but they come too little.

Yeah, I'm looking at Lizards for my next army...maybe

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Freezingoon wrote:One really cool thing 40k is doing now is the codex supplements (by cool I mean money grubbing greedy bastards cutting army book content to later release it for more money). The first one to come out was iyaden, the eldar craft world that was devestated by tyranids and so now relies on their wraiths to fight. The supplement come with a bunch of Iyadn specific fluff and  a few new army entries, like shadow councils instead of seer councils, or taking a wraithknight as your warlord, as well as making wraith guard/blades troops instead of elites.

I think what zack is trying to say is yes you can make an army that only consists of wraith knights, guard, blades and wraith lords. Take a look through the Iyandin book next time your down at the den. An all wraith army would be a good place to start if you like eldar, a low model count elite army. Nothing wrong with starting there.

Check out Saskatoon's 40k forum huntersofthewarp. Lots of discussions and posts to read on eldar and 40k in general.

Dana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:14 pm

And Dana out of left field to ruin the odds of unloading my bugs. But yes listen to him I only have vague understanding of armies armies not named after lizards or not painted all green.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Glad you had a god day there carson. What would be a good way to start a Chaos Space Marine army? Or orcs... orcs seem fun but way to many models in40k right?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Are the Killteam rules still around? I remember reading about those one time and that was really the only time 40k has ever appealed to me. I'd do an imperial guard Killteam if that was something the fantasy guys were doing.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Don't worry too much Zach. If eldar is common and no one plays Tyranids that's actually a bigger draw for me. Rumour has it a tyranid book is coming in a few months anyways.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:48 pm

For a chaos army I would start with the army book. there is quite alot you can do. There are some real winners in the chaos dex and some real stinkers for unit entries. IF you want to go themed like burgle/tzneech/slanesh or khorne I would hold out for a bit due to all these new supplements coming out. Chaos space marines could get god specific supplements.

Tyranids are due up for a new dex real soon so id hold out for that to drop. I think space marines are next. Not to sure whats after that Imperial guard, orks and nids are oldest dexes so they will be up sooner than later.

As far as kill team I dont think they have any rules for kill team in the new 6th ed rule book but there are rumours around that Inquisitor will be being put out and it will be the the skirmish type game for 40k.

Dana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:15 pm

Ic so waiting is a good idea eh? Chaos seem fun.

How about orcs? How might i start them?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:37 pm

They actually did a kill team update for an event they had earlier this year. It looks pretty fun, I'd like to give it a try.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 am

All this 40k talk and I missed out.

Zacks got a good assessment going. Necrons are still a bit goofy.. And while Grey Knights wree.pretty strong.. Every new codex they release dials it back.

The most impressive thing happening these days is the bombardment of updated codexes followed shortly by these supplement releases. Add in that every faction can now take allies (except nids.. They get none) and you and have an infinite amount of customisation avaolable to you for a list you want to.build.

Lots of news on the forum .. huntersofthewarp.formakers.com

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:55 pm

In the current meta Cron's have been sitting near the top as long as they have largely as a side effect of just how good fliers are and the fact that their "universal" dedicated transport is a 100 point flier. Eldar with their new Wave Serpent tech is about to upset a lot of builds, though.

Sisters are sitting at the bottom of the list last I checked, but 'Nids largely benefited from the transition to 6th, with Flying Monstrous Creatures being amazing and super mobile, along with gaining access to the BRB psychic powers. Monstrous creatures now also have AP2 melee attacks by default, and can half their attacks to swing at Str 10 if they really need to smash open a Land Raider or some such. Not being able to charge off of outflank was a kick in the junk for Genestealers, though. New Nid dex rumored for November, I think.

Squad building has changed somewhat with the introduction of challenges, so a Power Fist Sgt. isn't always the best go to. Grey Knights also took a big nerf with all generic power weapons becoming AP3. Along with that change, the kind of power weapon you model your dude with matters now. If it's a sword, you swing at init with AP 3, an axe drops you to init 1 but you get +1 str and AP 2, and mauls keep you at init, +2 str, but only AP 4.

Wound allocation is done closest to farthest now, instead of 5th's silly "unique wounds" shenanigans.

Chaos Daemons are all over the place with all their random rolls and charts, but once you get into the grove with them, they're fun.

Missions have in-built secondary objectives now, which helps to break ties. "First Blood" has been getting stale, though, as more often than not it's a free victory point for whom ever goes first. Over on Hunters we've compiled a big list of alternate secondaries to keep things fresh.

Orks are actually rather solid in 6th, Snap Fire being a huge boon to them. Who cares about being dropped to BS1 when you started with BS2 and a high volume of fire. Charging into a large blob of Boyz can be quite scary if you don't have enough wounds to weather the Overwatch.

Chaos Space Marines is the codex everyone likes to complain about not being strong enough, but it's decent if you recognize it as it's own thing rather than "Space Marines: Chapter Chaos".

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Interesting this teaches me many many things. Chaos sound fun. But Space Orks sounds fun as well. Lots of shooty seems very fun. I like rolling dice. I have no concern for quality of shots just quantity Smile!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Oh, and are there ever opportunities to roll lots of dice. I had to bust out one of those appoc dice cubes they have down at the Den last week so I could roll all 75 scarab charge attacks in one go. I do love me my Scarabs.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Which army is Scarabs? Space Tomb king? Do lots of people play orks?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Scarabs are the domain of Necrons, or the "Space Tomb Kings" as they were. Canoptek Scarabs, basic codex fair, will contact a vehicle and wreck it by shredding it's armor value down to 0. Charnel Scarabs, their psychotic cousins from Imperial Armor 12, trade out their tank hunting ways so they can feast on flesh and Rend, Rend, Rend!

Another new big thing in 6th is Fortifications, which are available to all armies in their own 0-1 optional FoC slot, though 'Nids are unable to man any guns that might come with. They range from things like a Defense Line that can sport a AA gun, to an automated gun emplacement that can't be manned and thus just auto acquires targets of it's own accord, to Imperial Fortresses and bits of Tomb World. So far there is only one army specific fortification, being the aforementioned bit of Tomb World. Some who play IG are fond of putting their men behind the Aegis Defense Line, having them go to ground on the enemy shooting phase for a 2+ cover save, and then burn their orders not to do anything special, but to simply stand back up and shoot as normal. Perhaps a touch annoying to play against, but makes sense thematically, at least. Baring the Defense Line, cover is more abundant in this edition, though with less general value per instance, with generic cover going down to 5+ from the previous 4+. No more rolling for Night Fighting sight range, either. Range brackets simply confer bonuses to cover saves now in the form of Stealth and Shrouded.

Oh, and flamers finally got a decent defensive quality. When you overwatch with a flamer, you create a "wall of death" that inflicts d3 automatic hits, as opposed to everyone else shooting their guns at BS1 and hoping for 6's.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top