Traitor!!... 40k questions

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Traitor!!... 40k questions

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:14 am

so some quick question's for you guys. if you played 40k what army would you play and why?
does anyone know kind of the levels of power for the 40k armies? Who's on top and who's on bottom ?
what are the least popular and most popular forces out there ?

Dom

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Traitor!!... 40k questions

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:46 am

From what I've heard, Grey Knights are near the top of the power level and Orks are down there closer to the bottom. Of course I have no idea actually and that's all second-hand information from people I talked to at the Den.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:04 am

Id go Chaos Space Marines cuz im original like that haha. Or the Tau because they just look different. I thought the Necrons were the strongest.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Right now in 40k Necrons are easily top dog, followed closely by grey knights. Most other armies are middle of the pack, but some are starting to show age by having very few competitive builds. The new edition had some balance problems early on with the introduction of flyers and none of the previous books having ways to deal with them hut that is being mitigated with every new book. I personally play orks and salamander space marines (I have a lizard problem).

The most popular armies tend to be the newest, tau eldar and chaos marines showing up in spades, but as alway has been the case the most played army is space marines of some variety. Oddly enough there are very few people playing imperial guard atm despite the fact that they are great.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 pm

If I ever played it would have to be Death Guard Chaos Marines followed closely by Dark elder.

I think the game "could" be fun if played with the right crowd.....but in no way would I want to play competitively.

Love the models and background.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 pm

I agree the right crowd of people would be important. Hmm if only we knew some cool guys that liked table top games...

Also i think if the games were smaller point it would be fun to pick up and play occasionally.

Id love to go orcs but way to many models for me good sirs

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Ah yes I forgot to mention I forgot mention the least played armies and weakest would be sisters of battle, followed up by tyranids, though I personally like tyranids and with a couple good spells from biomancy they can quickly become a devastating force.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm

I was gonna mention SoB haha. Silly nuns. How are Space Dwarves Very Happy!?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:55 pm

As it seems right now the only two armies that are even remotely appealing to me are tau and imperial gaurd. Hate hate hate most of the other models that I have seen thus far. And that is strictly foem a model and breif background of the armies, I know nothing of the rules and can make heads or tails of what other people say on diffrent sites.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Both imperial guard and tau are the best long range armies in the game. With tau having amazing mobility and imperial guard being your slow rumbling line of tanks and dudes. Dont mistake them for empire though, steadfast doesn't exist in this and combat rez is counted only by wounds doled out in cc, not even your reaction shots count. If a daemon prince or ork warboss touch virtually any unit in either of these armies they will be running. Also fleeing from a charge as a reaction isnt an option.

I would say go with tau, as I feel the mobility of their jump infantry and hover tanks make for a more dynamic game, where imperial guard everything but their transports and flyers move 6" a turn.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 pm

How are Deamons in 40k ? playstle, power, and such ?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm

I would play Eldar first, Tyranids a veeeeery close second.

I have a ton of Daemon stuff NIB if someone wanted to start them. Actually, it just occured to me that I could trade for NIB Tyranid or Eldar.

Hm. *very small gears tunring*

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Ha ha are we starting this now? I still wana play WHFB as my main game tho!!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Daemons in 40k are a very viable army, generally speaking flying monsters are great. They are hard to hit in the air and tought to kill while grounded. Flying monsters with decent armour and a ward save (bloodthirsters and daemon princes) are a nightmare to deal with. The daemon troops stack up too plaguebearers being ideal objective holders, horrors having a very respectable shooting phase and good cc units. The lack of d6 wound weapons also means tubby great unclean ones or insanely fast keepers are viable hq choices as well.

Currently daemon lists are popular for giant winged monsters, being able to cram 4-5 big fast beat sticks in a list want th minimum troops. On the flip side floading the field with cheap heralds and troops supported by the fast hard hitting elites and heavy choices work good too.

As a side note don I have a boatload of tyranids up for grabs.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 pm

As a side note don I have a boatload of tyranids up for grabs.

Dang.  Current stuff?

A bonus for me to choose Tyranids is because no one plays them. The same thing was mentioned in Regina.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:09 pm

stop it you guys:affraid: 

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:26 am

Yes its all current, I think it came from the battle force, so its some gaunts and a few warriors, primed black I think. NIB I have a trygon, gargoyles and I believe it is the metal tyrant kit (same sculpt as the current one), and a pyrovore I think.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 am

I own a Sisters of Battle army 65% painted.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:18 pm

And this is how it starts....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 pm

I personally didn't like 40k as much as Fantasy. My army has been sitting in storage for a few years. I had a few friends who played periodically so I jumped in to try it. I am not on the current meta, but honestly though, at the time my Sisters were pretty amazing. They won most games I played. I played an unorthodox list though... Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:06 pm

I wont lie, I've been having more fun playing 40k recently, though that might be credited to the copious amount of alcohol consumed afterwards. It also has a bit less random factor to it, even factoring in the changes in the new edition. Two different animals, thought I do often wonder how black powder cannons are more accurate and deadly than their laser and plasma spewing counter parts.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Both seem fun. But im more of a fantasy kind of guy. Sword shield bow and magic!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Here's the thing; I'm definitely a Fantasy player - as that's all I know. BUT, I'm often curious about 40k because I wonder what I may be missing as there must be_something_to the fact it's more popular than Fantasy. What deters me is all the Tournaments I've been to I've pretty much looked across at the 40k guys and wanted to punch most of them right in the face. Twice.

You look at a Fantasy tourny and it looks like a bunch of Dads pushing little Orcs and Elves around. Relatively normal dudes just getting away from the wife for a couple hours on their day off work. You look at a 40k tourny and it looks like a bunch of guys that didn't make it in the Matrix movies making waaaaay too much noise and sound effects. Their social skills just seem..........

..............different. Wink

I'll reiterate that I'd play 40k, but only within our group. Period. It's a scary 40k world out there.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 pm

I personally found the 40k rules to be very simple in comparison to fantasy. To me it is more like a Beer and Pretzels type of game, where you generally stand in one place, bunker down and shoot across the table with all your boltguns, lasers, etc. Some armies focus on melee and might come to you, others will orbitally bombard you, and some will get on their jump packs and jump across the table and assault your bunkered in troops.

Here is how I personally rate the games I play to the most strategic/tactical to the least based on my experiences with the games:
1) Flames of War
2) Warhammer Fantasy
3) Warhammer 40k

I think what attracts more people to 40k is:
1) Sci Fi theme
2) Numerous novels they release - even fantasy layers buy the 40k novels
3) Simpler rules to get younger players into the hobby
4) extremely large models (some around 1 foot tall), which also attracts younger players

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:06 pm

I agree i would just play 40k withthis group. Like small point battles as a b'reak from fantasy on a games weekend or something. But i love fantasy way to much

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top