Magical Weapons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magical Weapons

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 am

Quick question: If I arm a mounted High Elf character with the Star Lance (which says it can only be used on turns where he completes a successful charge) and an enchanted shield, can I also give him a great weapon to use on turns where he doesn't charge? Because he has a magical shield that he would use along with the lance on turns where he charged, is he forced to continue using that shield along with a hand weapon or can he switch to the great weapon after the first round of combat? It seems to me that he can but I can see it being questioned.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Magical Weapons

Post  squalie on Thu May 16, 2013 9:50 am

I think this is the same as a Paladin with a lance and a morning star. First turn charge is with lance (and shield) then next turn would be morning star (or great weapon) as you can't choose to default to a hand weapon. So, the next turn you would lose the shield as you're forced to use the great weapon.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 10:07 am

Except with the Bretonnian characters it specifically says that they continue to use their magical lance in subsequent turns. I was more wondering about the legality of having the character ditch his magical shield in favor of using a mundane great weapon.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu May 16, 2013 10:54 am

I believe it states that if a character has a magic weapon he must use it above regular equiptment
Not sure i would count a shield in the same way

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 16, 2013 11:18 am

I think I was misunderstood.

A lance is a "one shot" magical or otherwise. After that you use equipped weapon. If you purchased a GW you use that as hand weapon cannot be used if you have another option.

If you're using a GW, there is no shield, therefore no enchanted shield.

Maybe I'm confused as to what you're asking?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 12:12 pm

I was thinking about the "I'm using this one" rule where a character with a magical weapon always uses that weapon regardless of other equipment. I wasn't sure if it applied to only weapons but all magical equipment (ie: enchanted shield). If that was the case then the character would have to use his shield so could not use a great weapon. In reading further that is not the case, the rule only applies to magical weapons and since the star lance rules specifically says it can only be used on the turns where he charges then I think it's all kosher to use the lance first and then use the GW afterwards.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Im thinking its just a mis-typed thing goig on here Nathan. Im thinking what they ment to write was some thing like...
Lance. When he completes a successful charge this lance yada yada yada. For the point of can he be armed with a great weapon ? Id say no, The lance would just coint as a hand weapon. Now on the flip side is it just callled the star lance or is it classed as a lance in its description? If its not classed as a lance then I asume its just a hand wepon that conffers +2S in the round when he charges and maintains whatever effect the lance has in subsequent rounds of combat as well as the first. The second option seems more likely to me

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 6:49 pm

No, it actually says "the star lance can only be used in a turn in which the bearer makes a successful charge... If the bearer did not make a successful charge this turn, or if his mount has been slain, he must instead fight using another weapon." If anything I think it makes the case for a great weapon even stronger.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu May 16, 2013 7:20 pm

if thats the wording then by all means he can use the GW.... what kind of stupid retarded item is this star lance ? what does it do and how manny points ??

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 pm

+3 strength and no armour saves for 30 points it's a bargain as long as he can get off the charge.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top