The future of army books?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The future of army books?

Post  nathanr on Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 am

There is an interesting discussion happening on Warseer in this thread: Link. It seems that come 9th edition GW could be changing the way they do armybooks. Instead of each army getting their own book it's been said that they'll release 2 books - one for good and one for evil. Not sure where the neutrals will fit in but I'd imagine they'd be put into one or the other. These books will be updated more regularly, say every year or two. It also seems as though the limits of what you can take in an army could be more relaxed and that an army may be able to consist of units from multiple races.

On one hand I like the idea because it means that I won't have to wait 10 years for an updated army book (Wood Elves, Bretonnians), but on the other hand I'm worried that armies will look like an all-stars game with the best units from each race cobbled together into an army with no weaknesses.

Thoughts?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The future of army books?

Post  Galadros on Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Whether this actually comes to fruition is obviously debatable, but elicits some discussion.
At times I have wished that army lists were included in the basic rulebook. This could certainly have been made possible with the 500+ page rulebooks that they have created over the last couple of editions. There is always plenty of background fluff and unit descriptions already. They would probably have to dedicate 150-170 pages to do it justice, but certainly possible. In the early days of Warhammer (3rd edition was the last time), they created a Warhammer Armies volume thay contained all army lists.
This is how I'd like to see it done. The implication is that they'd have to plan all armies at the same time. Supposedly, this could mean a better balance between armies with none of them being vastly skewed toward the top or bottom of the spectrum. Downside... would likely lead to a series of White Dwarf updates and errata that would make it tough for a player new to the game mid-cycle to get caught up. However with the interwebs as they are, this might be only a mild inconvenience that I'd be happy to suffer through.

As far as your concerns about 'racial blending', I don't think it will be much different than it currently stands. We already have the availability to take allies in Warhammer. Storm of Magic also introduced scrolls of binding to include monsters and undead. Even if they make these a bit more liberal, I'm sure it would still require soem structure to the allied contingent that would make it tough to created 'cherry-picking' the best from all races.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Ill wait to see if more people post on this, but I would be very comfortable with this change. Bottom line, I think it's a good idea. Also, if its Hastings talking about it, it's pretty much guaranteed so just get prepared.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon May 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Demon Princes in my Skaven army! WOOOOT!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Isn't a Vermin lord close enough?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Vermin Lord is poo. Actually, I think he eats his own poo...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 13, 2013 4:24 pm

If they do it in 2 books, good and evil, I'm all set because I only own forces of good. I may actually save money with this hobby!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top