Monthly Painting challenge, May

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Monthly Painting challenge, May

Post  Freezingoon on Sun May 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Hey guys, I'd like to start up a monthly painting challenge around here, mostly to motivate myself to start getting some more stuff done..

The format is going I had in mind was something like this:
-1 point for completeing the challenge
-1 point for basing the model(s)
-1 point if the models your using are from the army your are signed up in the league with
-1 point for writing a tutorial about your proces, 2 points if it has WIP pictures, and 3 points if you make a video tutorial
-1 point for most improved (vote)
-1 point for best painted (vote)

Every time there is a masters tourney, I'll tally the points and the winnerwill get a prize. Anyone who completes the challenge will get a masters point.

This month, the challenge will be to paint a single fig anything you want, three color minimum. The bonus challenge (1 point) is to paint a whole rank of said models, so 5 for infantry or cav, 3 for chariots or MI and so on

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monthly Painting challenge, May

Post  nathanr on Mon May 13, 2013 7:30 am

Cool idea! I like it a lot. I'll be painting 4 silverhelms (as long as their horses arrive in time) and touching up my loremaster conversion (I made an arm swap on an already painted model so I need to paint the new arm). Depending on how ambitious I'm feeling I may also convert another eagle out of an IOB griffon. I'll try to do a tutorial for the silverhelms.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 am

It will be a few months before I get back to painting my Skaven.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 13, 2013 10:52 am

The thing I like best about this challenge is that there is very little emphasis on who's "the best" painter. That is only 1 point out of a possible 8. It makes it accessible to painters of all skill levels. The thing that really matters is that it gets people painting.

And Trevor, I'm sure that even with your busy FOW painting schedule you can find the time to knock out a single Skaven figure! Show the rats some love!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon May 13, 2013 11:07 am

I actually don't mind what models people paint. There are some extra points for choosing models from your current warhammer army and the bonus for doing a rank but I would consider the challenge comple if someone painted a FOW model, 40k, warmachine, whatever gets you painting.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 am

Well this week I am painting over 60 vehicles/tanks for Flames of War. Will that count?
Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon May 13, 2013 11:29 am

I shall make an attempt!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon May 13, 2013 1:39 pm

I'll knock out a rank of skeletons with command for my league army.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon May 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Im going to be trying to get 5 dwarf miners done for my mordhiem treasure hunters.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Im gonna.... Try to get 5 Warriors Done. Just rank and file

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Just finished between 40 and 50 armored vehicles for Flames of War (included: 11 Half Tracks, 3 Pumas, 10 Stugs, 10 Panzer IV, 5 Panthers, 1 King Tiger). Started them on Monday. They are being varnished now. Whew, that was a fricken lot of work. I can almost run a full tank company fully painted now. Just need to finish my Nebs!

I have to admit, I really like the early/mid war paint scheme with the Panzer Grey, more than I like the late war camo.

I still have more Germans to assemble, and haven't painted my infantry and Motorcycle Scout Platoon yet. Once done, I will not be limited on lists. I will be able to do Infantry, Mechanized Infantry, and Tank Companies. I've played about 12 games now, and really like the game mechanics. Your brain is burning thinking about all the options you have every turn, and how the dice change your plans on the fly. Solid game.

I am focusing on painting Flames of War right now, because unlike my Skaven I can actually finish painting this over a couple of months. And you know how I like to play painted armies. Skaven will take me a while. So many to paint!!! Once I am done, I will be back at my Skaven.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 am

this is my may entry. i wanted to do more but i have been to busy lately to do every thing i was going to.

after a primer of whatever colour i have, I start off by "mapping" out the fig by putting the paints i want in the places i want them, this is a rough job nothing fancy happens and often i overlap paint on to other sections of the fig that aren't getting that colour. after i have the fig covered with this rough job i go back and paint all the sections again slower and neater, giving some larger areas 2-3 layers of paint. normally while i wait for this to dry i will work on my bases. for this particular one i used a Rocky type basalt over the whole area and then some grass flock in a few spots usually like 1-2 for a small base like this one. the colours i used for this mini (and the rest of the unit that i didn't finish) were...zandri dust for most of the clothing, death world forest for the other cloth areas, dawnstone and chainmail for the spear, kislev flesh for the skin, leather parts were in balor brown, and then a few accents with scorched brown and all the "leafy" parts with blazing orange. then the whole fig gets a heavy wash of agrax earthshade. finished they look like this ....

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 30, 2013 9:26 am

Very nice looking.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 am

That looks good Dom, good to see you painting!

I've glued together 16 Silver Helms, 6 Crypt Horrors, a Phoenix (lovely, lovely model) a Sky Cutter chariot, 5 Ellyrian Reavers and started on a Warshrine because I couldn't help it! I also put 5 metal Shadow Warriors in their bases. Hey, it's something!!!

No paint. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 30, 2013 10:06 am

I started out by cutting metal swordmasters at the waist. I just used some clippers and brute force to cut them just below the breastplate. I then used superglue and a small piece of greenstuff to make the connection to a set of old metal silverhelm legs. The plastic ones work too but I think the scale and style of the metal legs works better with the metal swordmaster torsos. Once that was dry I basecoated with black.

The bases for my High Elf army are from Dragonforge but I didn't have any more cavalry bases so I had to make my own. I used greenstuff and rolled a thin layer over the base then scored it with a knife into an irregular cobblestone pattern. The base was then basecoated black. The bases are then painted with kommando khaki in several layers to get full coverage and then bleached bone. The cracks between the cobblestones were given a black wash with a thin brush to make them stand out better. The grass tufts are Army Painter brand tufts that I got at the Den but anything similar would work.

The horses are straight out of the High Elf chariot kit, They can be purchased from Hoard O' Bits at the low price of $2.50 for 2 horses. The halves are interchangeable so if you get 4 you can make 4 different poses which is nice. I basecoated the horses black as well. In painting the horses I used graveyard earth, Kommando Khaki and then a drybrush of bleached bone. The white areas are just pure white in several layers to get it nice and smooth. The metal areas are boltgun metal followed by either a blue wash or a highlight of mithril silver depending on whether it is a blue metal or silver area. The gems are 3 shades of blue (I don't remember the names) with a white spot-highlight. The same colors will be used on the riders. Here is a picture of the 4 painted and based horses with the unpainted riders. The completed model on the left is one that I'd already painted and was using for reference.

And here are the completed models for this month: 4 silverhelms and a loremaster. The 5th silverhelm was painted previously and is only there for reference.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:58 pm

entry for may

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 pm

So, what's the word Zack? What are we doing for June?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 pm

So for tis the month of may there will actually be no voting points because I had meant for best painted and most improved to offset eachother. The painting challenge I think is going to stay basically the same every month. Paint a fig get your points.
For june however we are going big. Paint a monster, warbeast or monsterous cav is the bonus worth 2 points.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 am

I cant really post a pic until I get out of camp and resize my picture but here is my blog witg a pic of a miner I got done for this. http://bodnarnewmarines.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Well here is my entry, a far to large half cut off pic of a miner I got done. One day I'll actually get my camera up and running so I can post normal decent quality pictures.

Anyways for this guy I started with a black primer. For the beard I went with a handy tutorial I think nathan showed me. Starting with skorched brown, then layering up beastial brown, then vermin. Each layer I try and get less between the strands. The last layer was a new color a yellowish brown, then some pale fleshy color as a highlight. The chainmail was ironbreaker, then a was of black to get into the links, wipe it off the surface, and wash again with devlan mud. The skin I start with beastial brown, then dwarf flesh, highlights with the same light fleshy color in the beard, then wash it with devlan mud. The sleaves of hus shirt I start with enchanted blue, then ice blue drybrushed on top, followed by a was of asurman blue.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:31 pm

I think the beard especially looks great! The picture is a bit blurry but it looks like you're making great strides in your painting.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:29 pm

It's a bit late but here is my entry for the Monster category:

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Holy shit that looks amazing! Fantastic job on the washes!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 pm

here is my july entry

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 am

Sponsored content