Flames of War

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Flames of War

Post  nathanr on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:33 pm

I will take you up on that sometime if you can suffer through trying to teach the unteachable (me) how to play!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:42 pm

nathanr wrote:I will take you up on that sometime if you can suffer through trying to teach the unteachable (me) how to play!

I've played about 20 games since starting this game. There is definitely a LOT to know. I am hardly a rules expert, but I've learned quite a bit now. German tank company is the best way to learn I think as well as playing with smaller point games, as larger point games tend to favor infantry a teeny bit more.. Less rules to worry about, and lots of firepower!

Even the players who have been playing for years look up stuff every game. I had a game today with my newly painted units, and squeaked out a victory. I thought I had lost halfway through making a terrible tactical error due to inexperience with the army.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Whelp...I just bought this:

http://flamesofwar15mm.blogspot.ca/2009/08/3rd-canadian-division-rifle-company.html

Looks like I'm going to give this a try. I realized that I have nothing but free time and 5 Warhammer armies completely painted (Rolling EyesRolling Eyes), so to fill the void and escape boredom, I thought I'd give Flames of War a chance!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:18 pm

I was just blowing the dust off my FoW stuff this week! Small world!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I was just blowing the dust off my FoW stuff this week! Small world!

Had lunch with Rob (Dark Elves) the other day and he hasn't played Warhammer in years, but was very intrigued about FoW. He then talked to Mark (Ogres) afterwards who said he would trade his Ogres for a FoW army.

Guess we'll see...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Just as long as it doesn't cut into your Warhammer time Don! It would be a shame if you disappeared into the FOW scene.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:26 pm

I actually find this kind of funny. I was just talking to my friend and he has bought an early war polish army and another friend has bought an early war German army. After talking to them I may myself be starting a early war French army ...... maybe .....

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:58 pm

nathanr wrote:Just as long as it doesn't cut into your Warhammer time Don! It would be a shame if you disappeared into the FOW scene.

Never, ever, never. I loves my wizards and Dragons too much. Just a few guys pestering me to play, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's only money.....Rolling Eyes

That's funny Dom, I heard not many play Early war. It's mostly mid/late war. Where all the toys are....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:34 pm

They seem to want to do all of them just start with early war. Seems about right I guess it is where it started

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:35 pm

I promise to host at least one FoW day in the spring or early summer. Their campaign system is very good. Also I like that you can just throw money at the terrain instead of having to invest the time to make and paint stuff.

I've always enjoyed the mid war period more than the late war one but it appears I was overruled by the majority of the earth. Mid war battles always felt like more of a struggle for either side where as once late war rolls in I can just sorta feel the hopeless idiotic nature of carrying on as an Axis player. I also like the tech curve of mid war more. It feels like you have to make more of a decision with buying units. Do you want a tank that is fast or that hits hard or that is durable? Late war you can just take a tank that does it all for much less points then something in Mid war would cost.

Still my fave rule set I've played though.

Of course I have had a hankerin' for an old school multi session campaign style game and I picked up World in Flames the other day. Fuck me, there is some complexity there! It sounds like a total war scenario of that game takes about a year to play out.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:39 pm

That's good to hear! In that case it looks like you've got yourself a great force and to my untrained eye it looks very well-rounded.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 am

So recently I've become the proud owner of some British forces and I've got a few questions:

1. How important is artillery? Am I dumb to not take any?
2. How accurate do I have to be with my infantry units? Can I use rifleman models to represent paratroopers or do I have to buy the paratrooper models? I'm mostly going to be building an Airborne Armoured Recce Army but I may also want to have the option to take a Parachute Company.
3. I've been advised against using airplanes but I can't help myself, I've got to take them. Is this dumb too?

Don't worry, at the same time that I bought my FOW models I also picked up some stuff for my wood elves so I'm not leaving Warhammer!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Model is accuracy is as important in FoW as it is in Warhammer or any other game.

For me I wouldn't care so long as I can't confuse unit x with unit y. If ALL your infantry are paratroopers then I can deal. It's if someone has a unit of say regular riflemen and a unit of commandos represented by the same miniatures. Then I get pissy.

And certainly with the smaller scale I personally find proxying a little easier to take. Especially as someone is trying out the system. SO I say rock and roll!

Artillery is pretty good from my memory, don't brits have some special rule making them even better? But it depends on your army type I think. I mostly played tanks and artillery was a huge waste as was air support as you can't fire on enemies when friendly stuff gets to close.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks Scott! If I were to use them as paratroopers I definitely wouldn't have any other type of infantry in the army. And if I decided that I really wanted to go with the paratroopers in the long run I think I'd end up buying the right models anyway.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Stupid Den still doesn't have the FOW stuff I ordered 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm tempted to order it online myself to see what comes sooner.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 pm

I f you ordered plastic soldier company it can take 4-6 weeks, he is slow at ordering....

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Played in my first Flames of War event today. More of a get together than an actual tournament.

The game really is exceptional. Lots of strategy and even though it shares a lot of phases that Warhammer has, it's quite different from the game we play. One of the more interesting things is what constitutes a victory. In Warhammer there's pretty much always a winner and a clear cut loser. In FoW there may be a game where you have half the points of your opponent and you have to see how long you can defend. You're actually never really going to "win", but the fun and challenge turns into how long you can last or get an objective. It forces you to really think about strategy instead of simply comparing unit profiles and smashing things together.

The game is also VERY particular with measurement, line of site, movement, etc. Cover modifiers are pretty much guaranteed as terrain is ev. ree. where. There is zero "close enough" stuff in FoW and using the enemies skill to determine if you hit or not is an interesting change.

Seems a nice group of guys and I'll keep playing.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:17 am

Found some sweet terrain here

http://www.4ground.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=302

From what I can tell, they come unassembled but prepainted. Not terrible pricing but I don't know what shipping is like. They've got a ton of different buildings though. I think I'm going to buy the hotel complex and maybe some smaller pieces as well. If anyone else wants in we can maybe share the shipping.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Even better, orders over 75 get free shipping. The stuff I want is over that but if anyone wants just one or two pieces let me know and I can add it to my order. I'll probably order it later this week or early next week so let me know soon. There's also warhammer-scaled buildings that are pretty nice.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 pm

I'll take a look but Ive already got a sizeable collection for FOW

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh no, my poor wallet. Sad

I'm actually like these better than the battlefront terrain as it looks lived in. I always thought the actual FoW stuff was too clean looking. PLUS, even with the exchange these are waaaaay cheaper than the den.

I'm going to make a list and see where it takes me.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Ya, I'm planning on getting the hotel complex, the church and two stone bridges and it comes to $150. The hotel complex is 4 buildings! If I went with battlefield in a box stuff it'd be well over $200 to get the equivalent.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:41 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top