Flames of War

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flames of War

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:18 pm

So, if I were interested in starting into Flames of War, what would I need? I think I'd want an infantry-based British force but I have no idea as to the composition rules or anything like that. I've been looking at the flames of war website and I think I'd need the rulebook pack ($80) but then after that, how much will a full-sized force set me back? Would I need any other books? I don't think I'm looking to do it right away but it is something that I'm interested in.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm putting together a British force right now. There's a few guys in Regina, and of course Saskatoon, that have talked me into it.

I know NOTHING about FoW, but I did buy the mini rulebook (3rd edition?) and it's on my nightstand. Really, the playstyle and rules of Warhammer/40K seem to be mostly applicable to FoW.

We'll talk more about it at Carsons, he'll help us out. Simply curious - why British?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:48 pm

http://saskatoonfow.canadian-forum.com/

That's the local FoW site. We can help you further over there.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 pm

I think British because the infantry and equipment are closer to what Canadian forces would have had. Also, my wife's great uncle was a motorcycle mechanic for the British during the war, then came back to Canada and opened up a shop in saskatoon with his brother (my wife's grandpa) selling British bikes. My force would definitely have to include some bikers no matter how good or bad they might be in the game.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Flames of war is da bomb yo!

It actually is a great game . We've been talking about starting into it as an "alternate game" . I have an SS motorised company for the game.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 pm

I watched a few battle reports, and the game looks pretty cool. Much quicker games, and wouldn't take long to paint up an army. Especially if you have an air brush. Do you play early, late or mid war?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:43 pm

Late War seems to be the "go to" era. All the best toys.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:57 am

I am not a big WW2 buff, and no little about all the different tanks, special units, etc. But from what I've seen, I would definitely consider jumping in on this as well as a secondary game. The cost looks minimal, time spent painting looks minimal, and the game looks interesting.

It does not seem as tactical as Warhammer, but the mechanics look sound after watching a few battle reports and I watched all the BOOT CAMP videos from the Flames of War you tube channel. I think the tactics are surrounding the various ranges of the units and using the terrain around you for cover and digging in...

I just have NO IDEA what army I would play. NONE.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 am

Picking an army, like all games, is probably the hardest part. From what I gather, FoW is exceptionally tactical.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Well... I just had lunch with a buddy of mine today. We play Pathfinder 2 days each week. He is a WWII buff, and has a collection of models that would make your jaw drop. I mentioned that I might be interested in trying this game out, and with his knowledge of WWII if he could give me some suggestions as to what faction to start.

He said he had picked up the book months ago and wanted to try this out, but didn't know anyone who played... So I know another person who will likey jump in on this.

So it looks like I am going to be starting up an army at some point in the near future. LMAO! Still have no idea which army, but it looks like it is gonna happen.

Time to buy an airbrush I guess...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:33 pm

I've been doing a bunch of reading, and I am thinking of going Soviets... Going to be a lot of infantry (kind of like Skaven haha).
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Russian Rats. Has a ring to it...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Well I picked up the following from the Dragon's Den today:
1) Flames of War Rulebook
2) Operation: Bagration
3) Soviet Paint Set
4) Za Stalina Dice Set
5) Artillery Template

I decided to go with Soviets. I am going to do some reading. I am on the Flames of War Forum asking questions now.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:58 am

Played my first 2 games of Flames of War yesterday. One was a small 600 point, and the other was a 2vs1, American vs Soviet (we split the American Army to share).

Wow this game is crazy. Super tactical. Didn't look as tactical when watching Battle Reports, but once you are immersed it is very challenging. I played as Americans both times.

After talking to 3 of the people there, they convinced me to start Germans due to the low model count, and ease of learning, and then advance to Soviets if still interested. Cost to get into the game with Germans is significantly less, with less painting required. With the amount of Skaven I have to paint, it seemed pretty logical to me...

The guys at the Den were super nice, and though I told them I was happy to watch the games, they armwrestled me into playing. Very helpful and patient. Good group there.

It is a good thing I bought the German book when I bought Soviets. Saved a few bucks. I bought some German Markers, Soviet Markers, and Panzer Lehr dice tin yesterday.

I am going to make a few lists for others to review, and then pick up some Germans to put together and fight with. Will take a little while to fully learn the game. Though there are similarities with Warhammer, there are MANY differences. Definitely a very fun game. That was a good choice you all made to have a secondary game to get into. Looks like it has a lot of longevity and many players playing for years, and cost of models is significantly less than GW.

They invited me to play in the tournament in the end of the month with a borrowed painted army. I think I might do that to get a bit more experience. Need a few more games under my belt first though.

I am playing Warhammer on Monday and Tuesday to try out possible tournament lists for Saturday. Man, I am playing a LOT these days... Need to make time to paint!!!
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:17 pm

You're becoming a legend Trev! I think there might actually be 2 of you.....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:26 pm

The trick to all my gaming time is...

No kids and a wife that is not needy...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Trevor Y. wrote:Played my first 2 games of Flames of War yesterday. One was a small 600 point, and the other was a 2vs1, American vs Soviet (we split the American Army to share).

Wow this game is crazy. Super tactical. Didn't look as tactical when watching Battle Reports, but once you are immersed it is very challenging. I played as Americans both times.

After talking to 3 of the people there, they convinced me to start Germans due to the low model count, and ease of learning, and then advance to Soviets if still interested. Cost to get into the game with Germans is significantly less, with less painting required. With the amount of Skaven I have to paint, it seemed pretty logical to me...

The guys at the Den were super nice, and though I told them I was happy to watch the games, they armwrestled me into playing. Very helpful and patient. Good group there.

It is a good thing I bought the German book when I bought Soviets. Saved a few bucks. I bought some German Markers, Soviet Markers, and Panzer Lehr dice tin yesterday.

I am going to make a few lists for others to review, and then pick up some Germans to put together and fight with. Will take a little while to fully learn the game. Though there are similarities with Warhammer, there are MANY differences. Definitely a very fun game. That was a good choice you all made to have a secondary game to get into. Looks like it has a lot of longevity and many players playing for years, and cost of models is significantly less than GW.

They invited me to play in the tournament in the end of the month with a borrowed painted army. I think I might do that to get a bit more experience. Need a few more games under my belt first though.

I am playing Warhammer on Monday and Tuesday to try out possible tournament lists for Saturday. Man, I am playing a LOT these days... Need to make time to paint!!!
Smile

You know, with all the respect in the world to your friends - I don't understand that logic. Of course they know the game better than I, but what difference does it make what army you start with? You'll find very quickly that if you play Warhammer, 40K, etc that alot of the basics to the game are transferable. That's like saying don't start with Skaven - get an Ogre army first to learn the game. what if I don't like Ogres?

Dunno, I hate when I hear that told me like I'm 12. I sincerely don't think that if someone starts with Soviets that after a few games they'd say they should have started with another army as it's "just not clicking".

I think you'd handle Soviets just fine.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:37 pm

I will get into Soviets in due course... I am interested in both armies, and no worries, they didn't pressure me at all. This decision came about from many questions and advice throughout the afternoon, and seeing for myself how the Soviets handle themselves on the battlefield. I kept flip flopping...

The one thing that swayed me the most if the sheer number of models you need to get for Soviets, and my Skaven are staring at me from their container, screaming 'paint me!' Soooo many Skaven...

Besides, now you will have some bad guys to fight!!! Achtung! I am hoping to have a force bought in the next few weeks, but it will take a bit longer to paint it. I ordered an airbrush and compressor on ebay to be able to do the tanks and camo real quick.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:36 pm

We'll I'm sitting with a painted German mechanized company, I'm bringing it to our next hobby weekend. It really is the perfect "secondary" game for us.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:39 pm

HA! I am going German Mech as well to start with!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Well I am putting my big order of FoW German stuff into the Den tomorrow. With it I can field a minimum of 4 different solid lists. 2 Mech, and 2 Tank Companies that I am interested in.
Smile Now the wait. Good thing I have a lot of Warhammer Games over the next week to keep my mind occupied!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Hey Trevor, you should post some pictures of your FOW stuff! I'd be interested in seeing it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 pm

I have a full Soviet Strelkovy Infantry Army (with tank and artillery support of course) and a lot of German Tanks and Mechanized infantry.  The Soviets are fully painted, and the German vehicles and tanks are painted (infantry and artillery unpainted).  There is so much though, you pretty much need to see it in person.  The next time you come over to play Warhammer, I can do a show and tell.
Smile

I am finding it is much easier and faster to paint the FoW stuff though.  It seems or feels like a lot, but there is much less detail and the small scale makes the basing more important than the infantry paint job.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:43 am

Pictuuuuuurreess!!!!!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 am

Oh god you have no idea...

In the last 3 days I did the following:
8 ZIS-3 Stands totally complete with 4 infantry on each stand.
4 Stalinetz Tractors totally complete with weathering effects.
4 Howitzer stands totally complete with 4 infantry on each stand.
5 SU-100 Tanks complete with weathering effects and ready for decals
Staff Team with 4 infantry
Komissar with 2 infantry
Command Team with 3 infantry
2 Heavy Mortar stands with 4 infantry on each stand

Count the number of painted infantry and you will see it hitting between 60 and 70, in addition to the basing, artillery weapons, and vehicles...  My back is sore...  They turned out real nice though.  I can field a very nice selection of Strelkovy Soviets now.  Lots of options.  My Germans are half painted.

Once I get my FoW stuff done, I will be going back to my Skaven and finishing them up.  I am reeeeally wanting to paint my abom...  Love the model.

Oh p.s. If you ever want to try FoW out, I have 2 playable armies (germans and soviets), and all the terrain in my basement to put a very nice table together. I have buildings, roads, fences, plowed fields, forests, and hills. The German army I field is a tank company and the only thing unpainted at this point are the 3 rocket launchers, its comand stand and observer stand. All the tanks are painted in 3 color camouflage. They just need decals.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top