Masters Round 4 "There can be Only One..."

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Masters Round 4 "There can be Only One..."

Post  Mhael on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 am

If you wanted to gain interest to the game a warband style would work way better. The regiments take away all characters, war machines, monsters, hordes (a big component of 8th edition) and magic as well as lining up charges the importance of ranks and command the ability of some armies shooting phase, the play of bulk models versus charging cavalry. Our game is not easy to learn but the complexities and variances combined with the randomness of the dice is why we play. This tournament is a farce and a misrepresentation of the game. Imagine being told you were going out to watch a hockey game and it turned out to be field hockey. If you wanted to use it as a tool to gain awareness fine but a MASTERS TOURNAMENT!!!

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 am

I am definitely not as emotional about this as Andre.

Events can be planned to play tiddly winks. Those who want to take the time to plan events can plan what they wish. They are investing the time so kudos to Geoff for putting in the effort.

I personally am not interested in this small scale Warhammer. There are other Skirmish style games which are MUCH BETTER. I play Warhammer for the rules, the fluff, and the feeling of being a general of an army. That is the reason why I will not be participating. I still likely will pop in and say hi to everyone!

As I said in another post, I think Flames of War looks real good as well if people are really looking for alternatives.

It almost feels like people are getting bored of Warhammer and are looking to branch out into this small scale rules, Flames of War, or other games? Am I way off here?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Totally not bored with Warhammer, I just thought that these skirmishing rules were a fun new way to delve further into the Warhammer world as an alternative to having a full-scale game. I love the large-scale battles and there is nothing more fun in Warhammer than seeing two fully painted armies on the tabletop battling it out.

These skirmishing rules give you a way to explore aspects of the Warhammer world that are otherwise not accessable. For every battle in the warhammer world there are probably dozens of small skirmishes between scouting bands or border conflicts between raiders and border patrols. Bands of treasure-hunters fighting their way through the undead guardians of a tomb or just plain, old fasioned tavern brawls. This system has got me interested and inspired to say the least and I don't see why it seems like everyone is against it. Just because it's a "Masters" tournament doesn't mean it can't be something different. The escalation tournament we did a while ago was a Masters tournament, as was the doubles tournament from a few years back. In fact, it seems to me that most "Masters" tournaments have been a different format than the standard 2500 point games we use in the league and I think they've been successful.

I will still be building my regiment and a snazzy display base for them, hopefully there will be enough interest that there will still be a tournament on the 20th. If not, at least I'll have had fun building and painting.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:53 pm

I've never liked this kind of stuff. Smells like Mordheim, etc. That's not to say I begrudge anyone else playing it as who am I to say what you should or shouldn't like. I'm just a stick in the mud, narrow minded Grognard.

I've always had the mindset that there is a finite amount of gaming time in my life. I've always been reluctant to "dilute" that time with other games or veering off from Warhammer - which I love dearly. It's the reason I didn't play Drop Zone Commander, Mordheim, Napoleonics (for gays) Warmanhordes, or even board games. Heck, I even think that playing 40K (love the models) would take away from my "Warhammer" time. Weird, but I can be a little single-minded sometimes. I am curious about FoW as it's something I am very much interested in as I've always been a WWII buff. Seems to be the exception to my rule.

Having written that, I'll still throw a handful of High Elves together and give this a try as I can't actually say yet whether I like it or not. I'm sincerely afraid that I might. I just don't want the "headache" of yet another game takin up Warhammer time.

Andre is totally having a hissy fit (love ya brother), but I love the passion behind his view and pretty much agree with it. Very Happy

Last edited by squalie on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:10 pm

The sad thing is I rewrote what I was originally going to post a few times bc the language and phrasing were too colorful. Don't get me wrong. For those who want to play; do it. For me its not warhammer. Let's do an all artillery tournament next and too bad if your army of choice doesn't have big guns. Then let's do a just magic game. Its a total misrepresntation of our game and should fall under the Mordheim category bc its closer to that than warhammer. This will be my last post on the subject I believe my view is expressed. I will not be attending.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 pm

I agree that this topic has been pretty much talked out. Andre, you mentioned something about warbands. Does anyone have the old warbands rules that GW put out once upon a time? Or, perhaps we should discuss what would be needed to make smaller-point games work, say 300-500 points or so.

I'll still be attending the Regiments of Renown tournament (if it happens) but I guess we should figure out something that appeals to everyone a little more next time.

Actually, what if it was a few rounds of the regiments of renown and then 2 2500 point games or something of that sort with wins and losses and whatnot in the skirmish games adding to your army in the 2500 point games? Is that something that would appeal to more people and Geoff, is that something that you'd be willing to run?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Instead of that, what about escalation. First game is at 500 points, second 1000, third 1500, fourth 2000. With obvious restrictions at each level, and maybe you have to have carry the same units forward into each list? 500 and 1000 point lists would make for pretty fast games.

I would like this type of idea more.

To be honest, I am not interested at all in Regiments of Renown. But I do to want to take the fun away from those that do! If you want to do that, great! I am just not interested in it. I joined the League to play Warhammer Fantasy Battles!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm

We've done that before, it worked fairly well. I'd prefer a straight up 3-4 round 2500 point tournament to doing that again though.

My absolute favorite tournament I've played in was the doubles tournament.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:19 pm

I would love to do a doubles tournament. I think that would be fun as well!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:32 pm

I'd play in a doubles tournament as long as my partner did exactly as I say. Exactly.

Anyways, I don't want to take away from anyones fun either which is why I'll give this a go. If I hate it - prepare yourself. If I love it....I'll probably scream even louder. Very Happy

Just packing the car for Carson's so I gotta go!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:52 pm

With respect to Regiment of Renown, I think the rules are great, and I've played it and it's a ton of fun.

I do have to agree with Andre that it is beyond stupid that this is a Masters tournament though. Especially since these games are fun, but are nothing but random. Brent and Joe and I played 4 or 5 games this week, and Joe's Waywatcher killing blowed 6 leaders.

It is especially stupid since it looks like it will be giving away so many Masters points as to totally invalidate the rest of the season.

As an aside, there's been a creep with the amount of Masters points given away at events. When it started it was pretty much event appearances and finishes. Now it's win any game, capture an objective every game, kill a general every game.

It's a little silly. Basically I'm saying the "Masters" is a bit of a joke at this point.

Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:56 pm

I'd play in a doubles tournament as long as my partner did exactly as I say. Exactly.

Haha, I hear you. That's the only problem with doubles tournaments, if you don't have a partner that you work well with it can all fall apart pretty quickly.

In other news, Dom texted me and it seems as though he's going to be heading up there sometime tonight as well. I already made other plans for tonight so I'll leave first thing tomorrow morning and drive myself. I should get there around 8:00 AM or so.

Edit: I guess Eric posted while I was writing mine, I can see why some people would not like the format for a masters tournament, what if the masters points to be given out were toned down? At this point I'll just be happy to get this Masters series over with so we can start fresh with the next one.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:31 pm

I agree with the masters points....point.

Also, just got to Regina and having a bite. I can honestly say the highway is the worst I've ever seen. Crazy.

Not worried though, have tons of beef jerky, chips, pop and Netflix. Almost hope I hit the ditch.

**edit**
Apparently Trevor is already there and he said the roads get better. Just an FYI.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:05 pm

The reason I decided on this format is that the Warhammer is more than just a strategy game it is a hobby that we all enjoy. This gives everyone a chance to create something small but enjoyable to play. It gives new comers a chance with only spending 50 bucks on figs instead of 1000 dollars. The masters tournament is not about playing 4 tournamnets all at 2500 point we can do that anywhere it is designed to take a player outside their comfort zone and push them to their limits to find out really who is the best general and the best at the hobby. I mulled over doing a doubles tourney but they don't work well in this kind of a format when you only get 5 teams it kinda sucks every team only gets 2 games in a day instead of 3 and your not judging who is the Master of the hobby but who can build the most disgusting force they can come up with. Now I know 100 points is not ideal and makes it so you can't take characters but you do get to take a unit champion and turn him into a god...

Most of all this for fun, so lets all have fun and have a few laughs abouts who's rank and file guy killed that ogre... or what dwarf beat up three High elves :-)...

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I know when I Am wrong, (thanks for the heads up Nathan), so a full change of the rules has been done lets enjoy a nice 2500 point tourney and I will judge while eating my crow.. Sorry guys that liked the reg of the renown! Please let me know if there are anymore issues and NO BLOOD and GLORY!!!

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Sign me up with dwarfs.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm in with Empire

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Very mature and admirable response Geoff, Can't decide what I'm bringing. Maybe last hurrah for High Elves?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm

I love your high elf army don't retire it, just put it away foray ear and play again!

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 pm

GeoffKlassen wrote:I love your high elf army don't retire it, just put it away foray ear and play again!

I should have been more clear; I meant one last shot with the old book before the new armybook and models next month. Actually - that's a good idea.

High Elves.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 am

Guys I don't think I am going to play in this one.

My games at 2500 points tend to last much longer than most other games. I am not sure if it is because of the volume of troops I have, the time to deploy my numerous units, or just that I am still slow playing with them. It also takes me a lot of time to get my casualties organized and to set them up for the next game.

I think it will be very frustrating for both me and my opponent if we are unable to finish the game within the allotted time.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 am

That's too bad Trevor, it seems like a pretty lame reason to not participate but it's up to you. If you feel like you won't have fun it probably isn't worth it.

If you don't show up I'll just assume your rats were afraid to face my dwarfs Razz .

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 am

Oi i want to slaughter some rats!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am

nathanr wrote:That's too bad Trevor, it seems like a pretty lame reason to not participate but it's up to you. If you feel like you won't have fun it probably isn't worth it.

If you don't show up I'll just assume your rats were afraid to face my dwarfs Razz .

Do you think so? I've been averaging about 4 hours to end one 2500 point game...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:13 am

Our game wasn't 4 hours and there was a lot of close combat grinds to deal with. Like I said though, its completely up to you.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top