Beastmen list

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beastmen list

Post  Kallidon on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:28 am

I've got a Beastmen army that I've never played before, but have created and am at a point where hopefully I can take them out for a spin. Here's what I have modelled so let me know what you think. My primary mission is to use ambush as much as I can and have fun.

Beastlord - Pelt of the Dark Young, Dark Heart, Tuskgor chariot - 240
Bray Shaman - Lev 2 Death Lore, Bray staff, dispel scroll - 141
Bray Shaman - Lev 2 Beast Lore, Bray staff, dispel scroll - 141
Beast Herd - 12 Gors, 8 Ungors full command - 151
Khorngors - 16 full command (I do have 20 now, just can't remember cost of each one) - 249
Tuskgor Chariot - 85
Tuskgor Chariot - 85
Tuskgor Chariot - 85
Warhounds 5 - 30
Warhounds 5 - 30
Centigors 5, full command, throwing axes - 145 ( I also have 6 now)
Chaos Giant - 205
Spawn - Khorne - 75
Spawn - Slaneesh - 75

That brings me up to just under 1900. I have a few options for my remaining points. I can shave some points around and field another Beast herd thats a bit smaller, a wargor with a battle standard, or I was thinking about throwing in a unit of 5 Fleshounds of Khorne... although I don't believe I can use them as a special pick anymore.

I have no real theme I'm going for besides just plopping down alot of models. I've got 7 ambushers right now, but with the wargor I can get both beastherds and warhounds coming in on ambush.. which would be awesome fun.

What do you guys think? I'd prefer not to use Dragon Ogres (hate the models and no time to model my own), Minotaurs (again, hate the models), or a Shaggoth (lots of points!). Actually, I'd have no problem using a Shaggoth, I just like the idea of having the character zip around on the chariot. I've never used any of the big tough guys in Warhammer fantasy before, and would be scared to send into something alone.. but with all the small units (chariots, fleshounds) he shouldn't have to many unsupported charges. I could always move my Beastlord to a Wargor on a chariot if I did decide to take a Shaggoth. I think I just like the idea of using a Beastlord.. no one else tends to use him.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Beastmen list

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 am

Looks okay to me.

One thing I would consider is to either make your beastlord on foot and add him to a herd or get a second fighter character to go with at least one herd.

I think your army is aces for maneuverability and can really take advantage of weak spots in an enemy formation. However the only unit that has any real hitting power on it's own is the bestigors, and they're going to recieve a lot of attention from enemy magic and shooting. If you can find a way to make at least one other unit capable of hitting an enemy unit on it's own with the support of a chariot or a spawn then you'll have a better chance of one of those units making it intact.

That's my thoughts!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

army design

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 pm

[quote="Kallidon"]I've got a Beastmen army that I've never played before, but have created and am at a point where hopefully I can take them out for a spin. Here's what I have modelled so let me know what you think. My primary mission is to use ambush as much as I can and have fun.

Beastlord - Pelt of the Dark Young, Dark Heart, Tuskgor chariot - 240
Bray Shaman - Lev 2 Death Lore, Bray staff, dispel scroll - 141
Bray Shaman - Lev 2 Beast Lore, Bray staff, dispel scroll - 141
Khorngors - 16 full command (I do have 20 now, just can't remember cost of each one) - 249
Tuskgor Chariot - 85
Tuskgor Chariot - 85
Tuskgor Chariot - 85
Warhounds 5 - 30
Warhounds 5 - 30
Centigors 5, full command, throwing axes - 145 ( I also have 6 now)
Chaos Giant - 205
Spawn - Khorne - 75
Spawn - Slaneesh - 75

Keep the beastlord on foot as chariots can die quickly and need support to break units. Khorne spawn are too slow, they will not keep up with the herds. The slaneesh spawn are fast and can tie up units too allow chariots to then charge in. The chariots will give you hitting power when used in support of other units. The ambushing will keep enemy off guard. The giant will soak up a lot of shooting.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:27 pm

For starters; Unless you really don't care, do not put your Beastlord in a chariot. He is simply too much of a target. Hide him in a herd, or that unit of Khorngors.
- If you have the models, reverse your Gor/ ungor ratio. Make units of 13, 17, or 21. It maximises your chance to avoid a panic test (which you will make plenty of).
- Make your unit of Khorngors 17, if you expect to put a character in them. You will have 18 and make the unit 6 wide, 3 ranks. You need to make up the loss of a rank by killing more stuff.
- If you have the models, try to have 4 chariots as they work better in pairs.
- Don't bother with full command on the Centigors - it's a waste of points for a unit that runs a lot. Musician for sure, never a champ, and rarely a standard. Do not make them 6 as 5 is just as effective, better points and panics from the same amount of wounds. Most people will tell you that throwing axes are a waste of points because they can't march and shoot, so you're wasting the Centigors incredible movement rate. I HAVE had luck with throwing axes, as they are strength 5, but people soon become wise to this and really, this isn't the Centigors role.
- Try the mutant monstrosity on the Giant. Sure, it won't stop cannons, but it has saved my giant from Skinks, and Dark Elf losers enough to justify 20 points. The arguments against this simply aren't strong enough.
- Unless you're playing fluff, there is no reason to have any other Spawn than Slaanesh. Spawn are a tar-pit unit and giving them extra strength when their WS is crap just doesn't help that much. What does help is 3D6 movement.
- The shaman are perfect. Although, either give them more scrolls and make them caddies (which I hate), or give them each a power scroll and try for that one spell to make a difference. Don't bank on this as you simply don't have enough power dice to make much of a difference.
- Your Beastlord: Dark Heart sounds neat, but doesn't so much, especially with this build. If you want to ambush, you herds (that are ambushing) shouldn't be bigger than 13, probably 10. A Foe-render is mandatory in tghe ambushing units for the leadership tests and he is the best unit champ upgrade in the game. Ambushing units don't often end up where you tell them to go, so you need many small units. Keep the Beastlord simple and remember he cannot go toe-to-toe with most Lords nowadays. Pick your units as carefully as you can. Give him the 5+ ward/+1 rally armour and a sword of might.
- This list totals around 1800+, so you have enough points for a Wargor, and also put him in the unit of Khorngors. Give him some trinkets, or even make him a BSB and this is your hammer unit. Be careful, though as this unit can be easily flanked.

That's all I can think of for now, so good luck! Just remember your usually testing on leadership 7, or worse, so make most of your decisions based on that.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top