Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  Kal on Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Excuse me nathan. Or it could be my years of experiance and wisdom!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 7:24 am

You're right, Don I wouldn't feel too bad. You did lose to the reigning Fragcon champion after all.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 am

nathanr wrote:Interesting analysis Don, hopefully it was just a case of bad match ups and lack of experience with the new book. I'm very interested in hearing your opinions after a weekend of games.

Definitely a bad match up as Warriors are solid as a rock. Lack of experience of course and probably a bad list - although that will sort itself out over time. It won't change much though as it had nothing to do with dice rolls or combo charges, etc. If your opponent gets to hit you at the same time, you're in trouble. Not rerolling misses (I know - Wambulance) you are hitting half the time instead of 80% and you're still toughness 3. It was a very eye opening experience. Elves needs to minimize the swings coming back and it can't be done now - except for Phoenix Guard.

I'm bringing the same list this weekend to flog it to death. I'm very curious about it.

I have no doubt that this is coming across as whining, but it's not that at all. at least that's not my intention anyways. It's my job to beat another army, not his job to bring a softer list - and his list wasn't broken anyways - it's simply Warriors are good. I was just so shocked and surpised at how different Masters and Lions are in combat now it simply blew me away. I literally couldn't even talk for a few minutes, I just sat there dumbfounded.

after this weekend, I WILL be opening all my new toys and changing the list. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 7:53 am

Are you using High Elves in the league now?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 am

Is that bad? I can totally glue together my tomb guard and play TK. I have a ton of fun with them. Almost did anyways. Really loving the Tomb Kings, kinda my favorite army now. Plus, it'll help me finish the whole army by painting that unit. Hmmm....

I also thought about what I'm going to do with my High Elves. I tried to be lazy and keep the stuff I have painted. My characters I think need to include a prince or at least a mounted noble in a unit of silver helms, which I was REALLY trying to avoid. Just don't love the models, but how can you argue with 2+ armour save, WS 4, ASF core that march 18"?

A frost Phoenix and a skycutter would have made a Big difference also. A unit of Phoenix guard to replace Swordmasters (sigh) is another next step.

The defensive High Elf army won't work anymore I don't think. Most armies have monstrous cavalry and other things that are just too fast. Couple that with the fact that HE can't do enough ranged damage fast enough that most of our shooting will be almost pointless. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think so. I've always liked bolt throwers but for the same price of the 3 that I have I can get a Phoenix. I know the bird would be more exciting and have the potential to do more in more games.

Again, very excited about the new list possibilities, just brought to my knees how different High Elf combats are going to be.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 am

Phoenix Guard do what exactly? I keep hearing how good they are but idk what exactly they DO

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 16, 2013 11:22 am

Kal wrote:Phoenix Guard do what exactly? I keep hearing how good they are but idk what exactly they DO

They have halberds, so retain their rerolls, initiative 6, cause fear and most importantly have a 4+ ward - which of course is huge. For elves they're very hard to kill. And NOW be ause they get rerolls, mathimatically do more or almost same damage as masters and lions.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 am

O wow... Yeah u need those. For sure

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 12:05 pm

put them in a horde of 40 and all of them can attack too.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 pm

... Ouch... Ouch ouch. What weapon skill?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu May 16, 2013 12:41 pm

I have one spell for them... Plague. Nothing else in my army can stand up to that. I also heard that with one of the dragons, you can make your lord and dragon have a 2+ ward against magical attacks. Most of my army has magical attacks, and so do Wood Elves. That combination, makes that unit near broken against the two armies I own.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Its not a dragon, its the banner of the world dragon. A 50 point magical banner that gives the unit a 2+ ward save vs. magical attacks and makes dragons within a certain range stubborn. I doubt you'll see it used too often, it seems to be unofficially banned by the Warhammer community.

And Sean, the phoenix guard are I6 and WS5.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 pm

You will not see that banner in my lists. Period. You will see Phoenix guard though. The more I think about them the more situations I see them being great. $40 a box. Ugh.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Run the banner mates! A wise man once said its not there job to make a softer list but its our job to beat the list! Plus i wana see what i can do against it. U need to get yourself some Guards Don. Hitting before Warriors at the same skill. Scarry. One attack each ?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm

After hearing it first hand from Don I went to the High Elf book, first thing that jumped out at me were the Phoenix Guard. They won't be killing enemy figs by the handfuls like the swordmasters used to but they won't die in droves either.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm

They sound... Painful. Theyll win combat for sure

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 am

Darren and I played a game last night, Ogres vs the Knights of Bretonnia. I changed up my list a bit, taking 2 trebuchets and a second caster with the lore of beasts. We rolled blood and glory but since we were both trying out new lists we elected to switch it for battleline. I always forget that we're playing blood and glory anyway so it was probably for the best. The game started out with Darren cautiously advancing, his sabretusks advanced aggressively to threaten my trebuchets. They were quickly dispatched by knights and pegasus knights. My trebuchets were in fine form this game, dropping rocks on his maneaters with precision. They managed to soak up everything I threw at them though and when they got into combat they were more than a match for anything that I could throw at them. My general and his questing knights ate a group of mournfang cavalry, heroic killing-blowed a giant and chewed through a unit of bulls before charging into the final combat between what was left of my knights and Darren's maneaters. Surrounded on all sides by angry knights, Darren's maneaters were finally pulled down and he conceded the game.

A victory for Bretonnia! Neither of us was fully painted and it was not a ladder challenge. Darren brought a very frightening list and it could have gone very differently, I got lucky in a few key places and Darren missed a few key dice rolls that would have swung the game in his favor. I like having 2 casters, it gives me way more options (Of course when I rolled for spells I ended up with all the magic missiles from both lores!). I also am growing to love my trebuchets. They can cause some serious hurt when they hit. I guess I'm going to have to keep the second one in after all.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri May 17, 2013 8:12 am

Man, I hate to say I told you so..... Oh what am I saying, I LOVE to say I told you so!

Trebs are the bees knees. I've waffled over having an extra caster but she always ends up back in my lists somehow. I always forget magic resistance.

Tell me about the questing knights. Keep them?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 17, 2013 8:39 am

Honestly? No. Questing knights are bad. The heroic killing blow lord is great and he makes the questing knights look much better than they really are (in 1 round of combat the Lord killing blowed 2 ogres and did 2 more wounds for a whopping 8 wounds). I would have done just as much damage with a unit of knights of the realm or knights errant with him leading them. I'll keep them around anyway though, if nothing else they add variety and I like using units that everyone says are crap.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri May 17, 2013 8:47 am

nathanr wrote:Honestly? No. Questing knights are bad. The heroic killing blow lord is great and he makes the questing knights look much better than they really are (in 1 round of combat the Lord killing blowed 2 ogres and did 2 more wounds for a whopping 8 wounds). I would have done just as much damage with a unit of knights of the realm or knights errant with him leading them. I'll keep them around anyway though, if nothing else they add variety and I like using units that everyone says are crap.

Id say if you want to see them do well nathan, dont put them in the lacne formation. they dont benifit form having lots of attacks when they charge they benifit from having lots of attacks period. i think they are ment for the long haul so a unit of say 12 in a 6 wide formation getting 12 attacks all time or a 3 wide formation getting only 10 attacks on the charge and then 6 in subsequent rounds. give your lord a stuborn item if your worried about them fleeing. i think you will like your results better

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri May 17, 2013 11:12 am

I have a love/hate thing going with my Grail knights. There is no middle ground with them. As much as they can tick me off though, the strength 4 in following rounds is nice.

I'm just thinking for the points why not just use Grails?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 am

I've got 9 of them in my list as well. I love them, even when they don't perform as they should.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun May 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Played 3 games at Andre's on Saturday - but I played High Elves, not Chaostonnians. Just too excited to try out the new HE.

Won all 3 games against Dom's Woodies, Andre's O&G and Carson's VC. All massacre. I was not completely painted.

The most important part:

Andre put out one hell of a spread and it's sad that only a few showed up. There was 5 guys and Andre had enough delicious burgers (seriously, they were huge) for 3 times that. I think the guys that put on a Gamesday weekend deserve a pat on the back. It isn't cheap and it's disappointing that only 3 guys and your brother show up. Personally, I have almost reconsidered hosting another event as the turn out was less than stellar, so you wonder what the point is.

But, back to Ander - thanks again for being an awesome host and next time I'll make sure to drag even more up.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun May 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes thanks for having us all out Andre! Tasty burgers and tons of fun. I too had 3 games but will post about them when im not on my cell phone! Thanks again Andre

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 19, 2013 7:52 pm

It was a good time, nothing better than throwing dice, eating burgers, and whinning about the game.

I had 3 games as well, victory against Seans Warriors, massacre loss to Doms WoodElves, and Massacre loss to Dons HighElves. Tried out the TerrorGhiest and was not to impressed by it. Its deathshriek is very cool but the beast itself is way too vulnerable to shooting, lost it by turn 2 in all 3 games. I'm going to try out a unit of varghiests, as hunters, and a unit of ghouls in the future. Artillery and massed shooting really showed up the weaknesses in my present build. Looking forward to the 8th for the masters. I'm playing hopefully.

There are SOoooo many players and casual players in the city its really a shame that we can't get better turnouts to games days and tournaments. Its such a good time, even if you don't play but just hang out, drink, eat and talk shit.

Thanks Andre for hosting, food was awesome.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top