Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm

I know how you feel Dom, I just loved facing irresisitible force on plague wind 3 times with no ill effects to the big beast!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 pm

nathanr wrote:The points you put up there are a bit off Dom, mostly because it was a ladder challenge and Sean takes your spot. the points should be 6-3 since you each get an extra point for playing a ladder challenge and you each lose a point for playing each other a second time so they cancel out.

Don, did you get any games in this weekend? Sorry I couldn't make it out, my wife was sick of losing me to Warhammer this month so I decided not to push it and opted to spend the weekend with the family.

No worries at all - you made a solid choice.

My Tomb Kings got ball punched by kierans High Elves. I was painted.

Played a 2 on 2 after that. Kierans and Doms High elf/wood elf combo against my TKs and Sean's Warriors. I truly can't remember how we finished as we were running out the door at closing time and got to turn 3-4? Dom, Sean - do you remember?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Sry Carson and Dom. Thats just how the dice rolled. One day im sure my DP will get sucked into the vortex. But for now Plague Winds! Khorne wants more rat blood! Haha.

Don- pritty sure we ended quick combat on there 3rd turn after our 3rd. If i recall it wasnt exactly going in our favor. Double Dragon Elves worked quite well together.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm pretty sure we lost as I can't recall them having too much in the dead pool. My tomb kings looked like a whole other army at the end if the table!Very Happy

A horde of White Lions.....yeesh.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm

We had to call it on account of time. So tie game Wink. But i agree we kinda had nothing left. Skull Crusheres were out before they began and two dragons running around and my Warriors Block just reached an archer unit with about 1/3 of it left

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Andre and I had a game today. We played a fun version of battle line, were calling it " sask winds if magic " victory conditions are the same, the twist comes in with 4 "pillars" one in each section of the board. Each pillar has a different lore attached it in the start, in subsequent turns the pillars randomly switch what lore is attached to them with another on the table. A wizard within 6 can chose to cast a spell from a pillar by rolling a D6 and that is the corresponding spell they must cast(can swap for signature spell), if they do not cast the spell they roll that phase they suffer a wound with no saves allowed. So the game ....

TURN ONE
Dom wins deployment and first turn.
I placed wild riders, alter highborn, 30 eternal guard with bsb and level 4 of life, 12 war-dancers with war dancer noble (general), tree-man, archers, archers, archers with lv 2 athel loren, dryads, dryads, great eagle.
Andre placed doom divers,spider, orc arrer boys with orc shaman, night goblins with lv 2(1?) ,spider riders,three sets of two trolls,goblin warboss on a spider, more spiders, orc boz with orc bsb and orc shaman, giant, night goblins with lv 4 nightgoblin, orc boy,more spider riders, and another giant.

my turn i move the eternal gaurd up and the high born the eagle and wild riders move to the center and the war-dancers move to the hill (temple of skulls) in the centre. magic i did a tree singing and got of flesh to stone on my eternal guard.
Andres turn he moved up most of his army, magic didn't do much and one of his doom divers missed completely and the other miss-fired putting it out of action for two turns.

Turn 2
I started the turn with trying my luck on the temple of skulls and got killed by the chaos gods, rearranged some of my units for better placement, magic i got off flesh to stone again, put 4 wounds on the giant and 2 wounds on the spider in shooting.
Andres turn he charged his orc archers , nightgoblins 2 trolls, against my eternal guard block. the night goblins fail there charge, the trolls were on the flank. 2 trolls charged my tree man. magic he picked up one of his giants and moved him behind my archers, as well as misasmaed my war-dancers making them movement 2. combat saw the orc lose battle by a bunch, the archers ran but the two trolls held and i reformed to face him. the tree man killed a troll.
Turn 3
My turn i charged my dryads against the far orc unit and turned an archer unit to face the giant. magic i got of the enfeebling foe on the giant making him T3 and cast throne of vines and flesh to stone making the eternal guard T7. i put two more wounds on the spider in shooting and he was close to the haunted mansion (close building) and took 2 more wounds. combat the tree man and troll fight didn't do anything. the eternal guard break the trolls but just reform to face the nightgoblins and giant spider. dryads win there fight on the far side.

Andres turn the nightgoblins and giant spider charge my eternal guard unit as well as his general(who failed due to space) also the orc in the centre charge the war-dancers and a giant charges the dryads engaged with the orcs. magic and shooting aren't much as far as i remember. combat the orcs chase down the war-dancers the dryads win there fight again(giant fell over) and the eternal guard win and break both units running them down.
My turn 4 the eternal guard charge the orc arrerboys, my wild riders charge his general on spider my alter highborn moves in closer to help the tree man. my shooting killed a bunch of spider riders. combat i won the eternal guard fight reformed to face the general on spider and some spider riders. the tree man and troll are still fighting to achieve nothing, the wild riders win and the giant spider stays. the dryads get beat and are run down.

Andres turn 4 his orc boyz turn to face my archers two trolls charge in to help the other fighting my treeman, his doom divers killed my eagle and he almost killed my alter highborn with the caress of lampinth (?). combat the troll fight was a wash, my wild riders stay put

My turn 5 really put the nails in the coffin.. my eternal gaurd rear charged his general, my alter highborn charged the troll fight and my last dryad unit charged the orc unit on the far flank. magic got of throne of vines and flesh to stone on the last 2 wild riders. combat started with the eternal guard chasing down his general and running in to the troll fight, beating the trolls and running them down taking the eternal guard and tree man in two the flank of his orc unit with bsb and the high born ran right past all this. the dryads got beat and were cut down.

Andres turn five the orc bsb unit was cut down as well as some spider riders with shooting. no need for a turn six

Massacre for me, third time playing, neither was painted, i defended my ladder spot.

this was a really fun game with the addition of the magic pillars, i would love to have more games like this if anyone is interested

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Nice battle report! We should do more of these. How do you like the eternal guard? They seemed to perform well in this game, have you used them before? I like the look of the models but I have never used them in a game before.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

nathanr wrote:Nice battle report! We should do more of these. How do you like the eternal guard? They seemed to perform well in this game, have you used them before? I like the look of the models but I have never used them in a game before.

well without the magic they are pretty meh, nothing to special but they arent bad. with magic support thought they are just great. for exsample in this game when his nightgoblins and aracnorock charged them and i only took two wounds .... they dont kill much but they did stick around well, so as long as the combat res goes in my favor they will run units down left right and center.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Nathan and i had a game last night
Game type: Battle line
Doms spells: (lv4 life)flesh to stone(FTS), dwellers, regrowth, throne of vines(TOV)
(lv2 Athel Loren) the hidden path, the twilight host
Nathan spells: (lv4 heavens) Ice shard Blizzard, Comet of Casandora, curse of the midnight wind, urannons thunderbAolt

Deployment: Dom wins deployment and first turn
From left to right Dryads with branch wraith, archers, archers, archers with level 2, eternal guard(EG) with lv 4 and bsb, wild riders, treeman.
Nathans side right to left. (doms) way watchers Pegasus knights,Treb,Knights of the realm(KOTR), KOTR with lv4 and bsb, knights errant, questing knights with lord, grail Knights.

Nathan vanguard moved his Pegasus knights to face the way watchers, and i moved my wild riders on top a hill on the left flank.
Turn one: i moved some stuff around, magic i got off FTS on my EG and the twilight host on the dryads giving them terror. shooting didn't do anything.

Nathans Turn one. Pegasus knights charge my way watchers who made a stand and shoot causing a wound, and the knights failed the charge. magic killed an archer and put the curse of the midnight wind on another archer unit. shooting killed 8 more archers with the treb.

Turn 2. lv 2 and his archer unit go in the tower. magic i got off throne of vines and he dispelled regrowth with a scroll also causing a wound on my lv4. in shooting i killed 2 KOTR.

Nathans turn 2. Pegasus knights charge my way watchers who flee, and the knights failed the charge. errant knights charge the EG and fail and the KOTR with lv4 charge the EG and make it , the other KOTR charge the building and make it. shooting killed a wild rider with the treb. Combat the KOTR win combat but the EG hold. KOTR win combat and the archers hold the tower.

Turn 3: i charge the flank of the Pegasus Knights with my dryads and make it .the treeman charges the errant knights and makes it. archers charge the flank of the KOTR beside the building. Magic was big, i got off regrowth on the archers in the building bringing back 5 guys, the twilight host on the archers attacking the KOTR, and FTS on the EG making them T7! shooting put 3 wounds on the treb. combat the dryads whiffed hard and lost but passed the break test. the EG win combat but the KOTR held. the archers won combat and the KOTR held. the treeman killed 5 knights, but they held.

Nathan turn 3: magic he cast ice shard blizzard on my EG. shooting killed 6 more wild riders. In combat the archers beat the KOTR and they run and get away with just 2 models so they can still rally. the tree man lost combat but holds, and the EG win again but the KOTR refuse to give up. the dryads amazingly kill 2 Pegasus Knights and win combat, the Pegasus knights ran to the edge of the table with the dryads trialling close.

Turn 4: Dryads charge the fleeing Pegasus knights off the table, the last wild rider charges the treb, the archer unit charged the fleeing KOTR< who flailed a dangerous terrain test reducing the unit to only one wound, the archer unit then redirects into the flank of the Knights errant locked with the treeman. magic i got off FTS again on the eternal guard. this combat proved to much finally for the KOTR and they broke and lost the bsb and some more knights due to dangerous terrain. the wild rider whiffed his attack but won through attrition and turned to face the KOTR with lv4 (fleeing + below 25%). the tree man fight was a draw.

Nathans turn 4: he charged the flank of the EG with the Grail Knights, the flank of my tree man with the questing Knights and lord. the KOTR with lv keep fleeing, the last KOTR also kept fleeing and tripped on a tree branch. combat the lord Heroically killed the tree man and ran down the archer unit. the grail knights win but the EG hold and change facing to meet them.

Turn 5: the wild rider charged the KOTR with damsel and ran them down. magic i got off FTS again but only at T5 this time. shooting killed of the reaming knights errant unit. in combat the EG win but the grail knights held firm

Nathans Turn 5: the questing knights charged the building . they won combat but i held the building also putting 2 wounds on his lord. the grail knights killed my bsb this round and won combat but the EG Hold.

Turn six: the wild rider charges the flank of the combat with the grail knights the archers scatter and abandon the building leaving the questing knights to face an empty building. Magic i got of regrowth on the wild riders bringing back 3 guys . the EG win combat and the wild riders Chased down the grail knights.

We didn't play Nathans turn six as there was nothing he could really do.

Game result was a massacre for Dom, first time we played, not fully painted and not a ladder challenge.

Dom 8 Nathan 2(?3?)

Thanks for the game Nathan, it was fun. looking back now i thought i took more photos of the game. i noticed that i missed some important stuff in the notes i was keeping to. oh well next time i will have to do a better report!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks Dom for posting these reports, we need more of these type of things.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Agreed. Very detailed. And i usually forget my games 5 mins after ive finished them

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 am

I agree, great report Dom, this game was basically a clinic of how not to use Bretonnians. The only thing that I did right was to heroically killing blow his treeman. The Trebuchet also performed well for the first time this league, I may have to keep it after all. Dom played the game masterfully, and pretty much controlled the game right from the start. Getting flesh to stone off pretty much every turn on his eternal guard also didn't help my chances. I love the Bretonnians but I'm starting to think that they don't really fit my style of playing. I'll keep trying though, eventually I'm going to get it right!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 09, 2013 8:50 am

Nathan, if you don't have 2 Trebs you're only hurting yourself. There are 2 things that I can attribute to me winning with Brets; Trebs and Dwellers below. I almost feel guilty using Dwellers ( not really) and guilty using Trebs (not really). I have to make enemy units manageable before a smash into them.

I don't use peasants so I need to whittle stuff down before I send my Knights in. Heck, that doesn't even work sometimes. Warmachines are inherently inconsistent so you need to double up on them. I mean, for 90 points each there is no single reason to not have 2 in your army.

If Brets rely on the Knights to do the dirty work, we'll never get anywhere! Sure they have decent saves, but we're a low wound unit. As soon as I lose a few, it just gets exponentially more difficult to win combat. I seem to stick around in a losing combat - but that's just delaying the inevitable.

Plus, Dom seems to have these f****** Wood Elves dialed in so he's making a win against WE's even trickier. Good job on the HKB against the Treeman! Love that stuff.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am

I agree that I need a second one, $75 for a model is too expensive though! I'll try my hand at scratch-building one but in the meantime would anyone be really offended if I used an old dwarf catapult as a proxy? I'd crew it with men at arms.

I tried out the lore of heavens this game, I didn't like it. It just doesn't mesh well with the Brets. I think light would suit them far better actually. Life is great too but I'd like some other options.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Can you take metal?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Hell yeah still a warmachine man! Pew pew

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Little late in reporting this, but I didn't know if I was suppose to post the FragCON games here or not. but apparently I am. so here are the 3 games as best as I can remember them.

Round 1: me Chaos, vs Allen Dwarves

Pritty straight forward game, he tried to shoot the head off my DP many times, he didn't succeed. Didn't roll Plague Wind in my spells so couldn't throw tons of irresistables at it so that was unfortunate. He wasn't running a terrible shooty list, only one unit of Xbow men with GW that he vanguarded up at the beginning so when I went first turn one I move right in close with my Knights and he charged me turn two so didn't get any shots in with them. Dogs occupied some of the warmachines and did pretty well. DP got into CC and didn't ever rly cast. The game ended I wiped him out completely and he didn't actually kill a single unit on my side. So went pretty well. Major Victory for Me

Round 2: me Chaos vs Matthew Vampire Counts.

This game was a lot closer. Again didn't roll Plague Wind so wasn't able to have fun with that Crying or Very sad. But I definatly had a red haze over my eyes because I ran my crushers and my DP with 2 chariots into 2 large blocks of skeles and a giant block of Zombies, which successfully held me up for a couple turns. because of which the real meat of his army was able to beat the crap outta my other units including Knights and Ogres. My Warriors were extremely Cowardly this game. got charged by a banshee and some sprit somethings (guys with scyths) all ethereal so they won combat and my Warriors fled immediately. and then for the next two turns all they did was fail leadership and flee little bits at a time. the Banshee and Spirit guys chased em down a bit but never actually caught them. lucky for me as they neared the edge of the table and near my hellcannon failed leadership and charged forward right into his ethereal guys killing them to a man. so saving my warriors. after my Crushers and DP took care of the hordes they ended up sweeping into his other units and killing most of them. Vampire Lord and Demon Prince had a pretty good clash for a couple turns both ending up causing no wounds with his VC magic and my Soul Feeder. but was still a pretty good clash. So by the end of the game which ended on turn 5 I narrowly won by 295 points. Victory for Me

Round 3: me Chaos vs Neil O&G

Very fun game. Neil was a great opponent and both of us being fairly new to the game made it even more interesting as we were constantly explaining rules to eachother. Again didn't get my favorite Plague Wind spell so no fun with that. but my hellcannon shot a unit of Goblin Archers doing a couple wounds but they failed their LD test twice and fled right off the table without firing a single shot. His unit of 10 Wolf Riders with a Character and my unit of 3 Dragon Ogres literally spent the whole game fighting eachother on the left side of the table. Combat always resulting in a tie or close. I charged into his Trolls with my Knights and their Flamming Banner, unfortunately losing two to dangerous terrain in the river. He picked up a unit of Black Orcs with the Hand of Orc God spell and dropped it behind my DP which was dealing with a Bolt Thrower that almost took his head off first turn. DP was able to turn around and keep the Orcs in check till they fled off the table on our last turn. Skullcrushers charged a unit of 30ish Big Un's by themselves and did quite well. His general took a direct Hellcannon shot to the face and died on my turn three and game was over turn 3. He surrendered. The game awarded extra points for Characters killed. which killing a wizard, his general, his bsb and his Wolf Rider guy helped with. In the end i believe he only managed to kill my two units of Hounds and most of my knights and Dragon Ogres but never finished those units. so Crushing Victory For me.

Again sry first time actually posting results so not in the greatest of formats. also was a while ago and my memory aint what it use to be. so this is as close as i recall. All were extremely fun games. Good Weekend.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Trevor Y. wrote:Can you take metal?

No, only life, beasts or heavens on a lvl 4. A lvl 2 can only have beasts and heavens I think? I'm unsure as a lvl 2 is always Beasts - just to get wyssans

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Nice Sean, did you end up winning the tournament with 3 wins? That's a good record! I should get everyone's results from Fragcon so I can add those games to the League Standings.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes, moose jaws own prodigal son - Sean, won Fragcon 2013 in his very first tournament! The fact that he is mentally challenged makes the feat all the more impressive. Very proud of our little corky.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Yes i did, thanks Nathan. It was quite fun. Im a prodigal son eh? Not bad on the first try. Begginers luck. Whens the next touney ;P. Hey now only a little challenged. Blood for the Blood God!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed May 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Me and Don had a match on Sunday afternoon. Battle line. Me WoC vs Don trying out new High Elves for the first time. I got turn one. Marched forward. DP used Rancid Visions (spelling o so wrong) killed 8 sword masters with that. Hellcannon missfired and ate its dwarfie crew. His turn one his group of WL charged my Skull Crushers. His Dragon Princes charged Dragon Ogres. And he gotoff a nasty burning death spell that killed 7/21 of my Warrior block. His Dragon princes won that combat but didnt catch my ogres. My Skull crushers won combat but he didnt flee on stubborn. But Dons face after that combat was that of complete and utter disbelief. He just looked stunned beyond compare! It was amusing. Um... My turn 2 i charged a block of 21 Sword MAsters with my remaining 14 warriors and again to Dons suprise my lesser warriors won combat and almost chased him down agaun Dons face was like wth just happened!?. O and my DP got an Irresistable Plague Wind off on his whole back row. And then i rolled a 7 and nothing happend to my Prince except +1W +1T. Yay. Don has more to add to this im sure but that was the just of it. We finished end of turn 2. Crushing Victory for me

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Well, Warriors are the new Daemons (as someone famous once said) and High Elves are going to be interesting....sort of.

Pretty much how Sean described was pretty much how it happened. His turn 1, His Knights, Dragon Ogres, Dogs and Skullcrushers marched 14", his Prince flew 20" and even his darn warriors marched 10". What happened to Warriors?! Not one single unit is slow - and even his Hellcannon moved 15"...but I'll get to that.

He moved, spelled up and I was thinking good thoughts. I had 2 units of 21 Swordmasters and a unit of 21 White Lions all in 7X3. Woohoo Martial Prowess!

Like Sean said I charged everywhere, even on my own first turn (that's how fast CHAOS WARRIORS are now) and made all charges. Worked some magic, miscast, rolled cascade but missed falling into the void and didn't even get a good feel for the Book of Hoeth. Did lose half my Seaguard though.

In combat, since I now no longer get rerolls my 21 strong Masters went against 14 Khorne Warriors, which go at the same time. He hits on 4's and me on 3's. My BSB hid from his BSB as my "hero" stats aren't even close to his true hero. We both rolled like we should and after the dust settled he only had a champ and his BSB and I had my whole front rank and BSB. I still lost by so much I needed snakes to stay...and started running. I couldn't believe what happened to swordmasters without Speed of Asuryan. Gets better.

My white Lions swung at the Crushers, at the same time and no rerolls. I did 2 wounds even after rolling average. The look on my face must have been priceless as my jaw dropped at how much WL's didn't do. Swordmasters are supposed to go after elits and White Lions after Monstrous. Not sure what to do now as my units melted so bad it was embarrassing. His Cannon screamed across the table and wis in combat right from the start. Too much flying, 1+ saves and unbreakable on the table.

I asked sean if we could redo that combat so I could show him what White Lions are capable of in the old Book. I did 10 wounds after saves and it had a profound effect on me how much Martial Prowess pales compared to Speed of Asuryan.

After his turn 2. Turn 2. I had 3 bolt throwers left and a few few screaming, flaming Elves trying to crawl under the nearest rock.

Un. Be. Leave. Able.

Carson, coincidentally, phoned near the end of the game and the poor fellow had to listen to me rant about broken warriors and not getting rerolls, or even striking before Warriors. I would have been happy just striking first. even then though, After I roll to hit on 4's, then wound, and after saves, I'll still only do a couple wounds to Warriors or similar. Even THAT is workable, but the friggin Warriors army is so crazy fast you get one chance to shoot and then the party's over. Amazing.

I'm bringing a list this weekend with none of the new stuff but I have a feeling Phoenix Guard are the new bad boys, Frost Phoenix is going to be very solid and it's going to take a few more games to figure out what models I need to glue.

I was painted. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed May 15, 2013 10:55 pm

AHem u werent painted. U never have been its all a LIE !!! Your BSB's shield Wink jkjk. Screaming Flaming elves trying to crawl under rocks. Now that made me laugh.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Interesting analysis Don, hopefully it was just a case of bad match ups and lack of experience with the new book. I'm very interested in hearing your opinions after a weekend of games.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top