Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  nathanr on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 am

I was going to say that Sean probably didn't like the game quite as much because of the failed dangerous terrain tests. I feel your pain Sean. I seem to have the same sort of luck with my dangerous terrain tests.

I had a great time this weekend as well and even though I didn't manage to win a game, they were all fun.

I got massacred by Carson's horde of undead, Don got it right - the black knight bus was to be feared. It rolled up my army pretty much single-handedly. My questing knights and lord couldn't manage to kill a unit of spirit host despite their best efforts and that left them open to all sorts of pain while my 2 units of knights of the realm slammed into a unit of skeletons but once they had finished with the charge (winning combat by 7) they were reduced to tin-encased snacks for the black knights on their flank. My trebuchet managed to pick off one blood knight and that was its only kill all weekend. Of course the next turn that blood knight crawled out from under the rock, dusted itself off and got back on its horse so I'm not sure I can even count it as scoring a kill.

Next up was Aiden and his Warriors of Chaos. I brought all the guns out but Aiden was a master strategist and despite my best efforts he beat me at every turn. I couldn't get past his 1+ saves on everything and needing 26 6's to wound really hurt my chances. Massacre to Aiden.

After Aiden had finished me off I had some time to kill while Don was fighting Darren. I challenged Sean to a Regiments of Renown game and promptly lost that too. It was a fun game and went back and forth but Chaos Warriors with the mark of Nurgle are not to be messed with.

After lunch I played a game with Don, he's already reported it so I don't need to repeat him other than to say that it was great fun and had I remembered that we were playing blood and glory I would have beat him. I charged my pegasus knights over the flank of his general's unit of knights of the realm in order to charge his banner-less pegasus knight unit. I had already charged his general's unit in the front with a unit of knights of the realm and a double charge probably would have sealed the deal. That unit was worth 3 of his remaining 6 break points so it would have meant victory for me. Let that be a lesson to everyone! Remember the scenario!

Last was a game against Trevor. Spoiler alert, I lost this game as well. That said, I feel like I did a lot of things better. I made two big mistakes though. I should have remembered to vangard my pegasus knights back into charge range of his scouts. This would have saved my trebuchet. Secondly, I managed to get a 24" dwellers below off and I didn't realize that his grey-seer, bell and bsb clanrat unit was in range. Instead I wasted it on a unit of 50 slaves. It killed 26 slaves but I could have taken out the grey seer much earlier in the game if I'd thought things through a little more. Oh well.

I'm going to steal Don's unit evaluation edited with my changes:

Simply can't understand by looking at a Bret list and their stats how they win. I've now had 4 games and won 0. The armour and ward save is the only thing I've got going for me. The Lance formation is a beautiful military design and I can see how it should work in theory. It's just not a flashy army, with crazy rules and units. It's just a bunch of dudes on metal wrapped steeds. I'm flabbergasted at how easy it can be to remove a unit of 9 Knights from the table. I obviously don't give them credit or respect because they haven't earned it yet.

Trebuchets are 90 points and have 4 wounds. Of course, I have yet to actually kill anything with it so I might as well just say that I have a 2410 point list and leave it at home. I'll keep bringing it on the assumption that my bad luck has to end sometime, the law of averages means that eventually I'll get some hits. I look forward to that.

Grail Knights are still only toughness 3 but I noticed that a unit of 9, instead of 6, is funnily enough, more than twice as good. They still run when they lose combat though, even when they're steadfast.

BSB, Realm Knight unit is probably the highlight of my army. They tend to die less quickly than everything else so that's a positive. Sometimes they even kill stuff.

Heroic killing blow Bret Lord has a rep for a reason. What a versatile Lord. Doesn't matter what he's fighting a 6 sends it to the corner of the table in the deadpool. I look forward to rolling a 6 sometime.

I'm not as discouraged as I probably sound, I love the Bretonnians and I've seen them be successful so I know it can be done, even with an army list very similar to mine. I'm going to keep sticking it out and I'll try to continue to do it with a smile. Its a big departure from the high elves so I may just be in the wrong mindset. Don may be having more success this league because I think Brets are maybe a step up from Tomb Kings. At the very least, he's been having to worry about getting into combats weighted in his favor and whatnot while I had the luxury of sending my high elf units into whatever I pleased, knowing that if I had bitten off more than I could chew I could always just cast the mindrazor in my magic phase.

Once Dom gets all the results from the weekend to me I'll update the ladder.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 am

Actually believe it or not i had a BLAST that game. i was definatly blinded by the quantity of the stuff i was killing not the Point Values or actually finishing off whole units. i just wanted to see how many rats i could kill. Again it was a learning experiance lol. but it was a definate blast and Trevor was polite the whole time even when blasting my Skullcrushers in the face with Twisted Rat Doom Bolts of Death lol. I have just decided to avoid forests completely, 100%. during my game against Dom i lost a Skullcrusher to a forest too. Lesson learned!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 pm

The people on the interweb who say that forests do nothing (usually in a ranting post about why wood elves) has obviously never lost 5 cavalry models on the charge to dangerous terrain. I avoid forests like the plague, especially with my bretonnians!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Kal wrote:Actually believe it or not i had a BLAST that game. i was definatly blinded by the quantity of the stuff i was killing not the Point Values or actually finishing off whole units. i just wanted to see how many rats i could kill. Again it was a learning experiance lol. but it was a definate blast and Trevor was polite the whole time even when blasting my Skullcrushers in the face with Twisted Rat Doom Bolts of Death lol. I have just decided to avoid forests completely, 100%. during my game against Dom i lost a Skullcrusher to a forest too. Lesson learned!

You won the rat killing award this weekend. Hands down you killed more slaves and clanrats than any of my other opponents, by probably double!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 pm

nathanr wrote:The people on the interweb who say that forests do nothing (usually in a ranting post about why wood elves) has obviously never lost 5 cavalry models on the charge to dangerous terrain. I avoid forests like the plague, especially with my bretonnians!

I hear you man - i can feel your pain - Forests have killed more knights then my opponents have. i lost some knights on the charge against Carson's VC. I will never enter another forest again for as long as i have Cavalry. lol

Rat Killing Award! Awsome, thats all i can ever hope for more Blood For The Blood God! looking forward to trying to kill more sometime! lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Hey big thanks to everyone who came down for the weekend and especially to those who humoured my Son with some "games". He has a passion for the hobby that I really appreciate......can't wait for him to be old enough though to know the rules.

I had six games this weekend with my new Vampire army. One thing I noticed over the weekend was how everyone's skill level was evenly matched. Noone was using a power list to win and the difference really came down to someone making the first big mistake. Thats probably the best thing I took away from the weekend. Simply cool beans.

game 1 vs Trevor/skaven....a true skaven army, hordes of rats with a bunch of tricks. an early mistake by Trevor in positioning his doomwheel allowed me to isolate alot of his blocks of rats. This gave me the opening to get at the meat of his army. A marathon of a game (4hours). Toughest part of his army and a real eye opener for me were the plague rats and furnace....bad ass. Black knight bus was deadly but the biggest dissapointment for me was the vargulf. It had an early chance to whack out his bsb and grey seer. not only did he fail to kill the unprotected bsb but took a clan rat spear to the face to seal his doom. minor victory for me

game 2 vs darren/ogres.....Darren tries out a maneater deathstar against the dead. trouble with that was that he had so many points in this unit that the rest of his army was easy pickings. turn 6 so his solo remaining deathstar surrounded and then pulverised by combined charges of bad things Very Happy massacre for me

game 3 vs nathan/brets..... tough one for Nathan here. His combined charges into my blocks failed to dent my skeleton hordes but the turning point was a 2 block spirit host holding up his lords unit. These failed charges gave my black knight bus thre opening to flank and roll up the bret lines. massacre for me.

game 4 vs sean/warriors......crazy crazy game. Seans khorne army (plus a nurgle deamon Prince Shocked )really didnt have to worry about fear. The prince kept throwing 6 dice at vortex spells, getting irresistible force and then escaping the resultant miscast....Sean that luck can't last forever....that being said i figured I had the game in the bag as my knight bus had a flank charge lined up on his lines and my blood knights were squared off against his 3 surviving chaos knights. The dice didn't agree though....The 3 chaos knights slaughtered my blood knights and my bus completed whiffed and then evaportaed from comabt resolution and his crazy dice rolling. Oouch. Thats why we roll dice hey. Good to have you aboard sean. massacre for Sean

game 5 vs Dom/wood elves.......A real cat and mouse game. Neither of us willing to commit too early and make a mistake. I again felt I had the game in the bag as my knight bus flank charged his tree man which would open up the rest of his army to doom. The tree man shrugged off most of the attacks, surviving on 1 wound and then promptly stomped my general into the ground. crumble crumble and superhero war dancers saw off the rest of the dead. Real difference here was Doms bsb who kept his army in it a key moments. Well played Dom, good game. massacre for Dom

game 6 vs Don/tainted brets.....Let me tell you, Don is a very good player. paitience was the key here as he kept his blocks back long enough for him to isolate my bus and then combo charge the rest of my forces. I figured we were pretty close on points as I had killed alot of knights only to discover that I actually hadn't killed any complete units though. This was the toughest loss for me as I felt I really didn't play right in this game. probably a hang up from 6th and 7th edition but I'm always intimitated by bret lance formations and tend to react to what they are doing. I should of got up in his grill early on with my generals knight bus. Don had 3 really good chances to take out my necromancer.....silver mirror, feed back scroll, ad suicide charge by bret peg knights......somehow he survived. massacre for Don

so....learning points. Vargulfs are not very good...I'll probably switch out for a terrorghiest. I can't let my army get isolated from its casters and never let darren stand beside you when your playing a game....his funk smell can kill Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Nathan, awesome use of my evaluation! Honestly laughed out loud.

I used to care less about Forests. Now, I hate trees. It's unsettling how many horses trip over trees....and how many forests end up on gaming tables. scratch

Yes, Trevor is a very pleasant opponent and a treat to play against. I've yet to see him crack under pressure. Looks like I have work to do... Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:37 pm

The other thing forests have going for them is that ranked infantry can never be steadfast in a forest. I know Andre and I danced around a forest in our playoff game last league for that exact reason, we both wanted the backup of being steadfast and neither one of us wanted to give it up.

I think having forests on the table really ups the strategic element in the game in a good way. Even though I fail about 50% of my dangerous terrain tests I'm all for having lots of forests on the table.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Carson wrote:
game 4 vs sean/warriors......crazy crazy game. Seans khorne army (plus a nurgle deamon Prince Shocked )really didnt have to worry about fear. The prince kept throwing 6 dice at vortex spells, getting irresistible force and then escaping the resultant miscast....Sean that luck can't last forever....that being said i figured I had the game in the bag as my knight bus had a flank charge lined up on his lines and my blood knights were squared off against his 3 surviving chaos knights. The dice didn't agree though....The 3 chaos knights slaughtered my blood knights and my bus completed whiffed and then evaportaed from comabt resolution and his crazy dice rolling. Oouch. Thats why we roll dice hey. Good to have you aboard sean. massacre for Sean

That Prince did roll like a boss, every time i threw 6 dice into the pool i fully expected to be saying goodbye to my Prince, but he kept getting away with only a scratch if anything lol. Haha im sure ill learn my lesson when i turn one poof my 500+ Point Demon. maybe then ill stop. maybe. Definatly was an awsome game i appreciate you fully explaining each of your units to me as you placed them, because i am new to this game. You didn't have to but you did all the same ty. Was an awsome game i quite enjoy VC, except the ethereal stuff i can't hit lol! Thanks for having me guys

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Big shout out to Carson for hosting us, great weekend fun with lots of good games going on. I recorded all the games in order played and who won for the ladder to make Nathans task a bit simpler,,,

Before the weekend Dom vrs Andre: Big ole draw 5-5
Carson vrs Trevor: Carson win, 6-4
Dom vrs Aiden : Dom win(and by his rules yet!) -2-2
Dom vrs Don: Dom win, massacre 8-2
Darren vrs Sean: Draw 5-5
Dom vrs Sean: Dom win, massacre 8-2
Carson vrs Darren: Carson win, Massacre 8-2
Frank Vrs Trevor: Trevor win, massacre 2-8
Carson vrs Nathan: Carson win, massacre 8-2
Dom vrs Frank: Dom win, 6-4
Nathan vrs Aiden: Aiden win,2-2
Zach vrs Trevor: Zach win,6-4
Don vrs Darren: Don win, massacre 8-2
Dom vrs Zach: Dom win, massacre 8-2
Sean vrs Nathan: sean win, 2-2 (ROR)
Sean vrs Crason: Sean win, massacre 8-2
Don vrs Nathan: Don win, 6-4
Carson vrs Dom: Dom win, massacre 2-8
Trevor vrs Nathan: Trevor win, 6-4
Don vrs Zach: Zach win, 4-6
Trevor vrs Sean: Trevor win, massacre 8-2

That is all the games i had written down sorry if i missed any Smile

All my games were fun and quite a few i just had the right list to get me the win, namely against Don and Sean. the only game i thought i did not have a chance in was against Carson's vamps, i had a plan right off the start that i thought i may have a chance in but didn't really think it would work to well, and then Carson's tactics kind of threw me for a loop meaning i had to abandon phase two of my plan (phase on of my plan only worked %50 and that was close to not working) moving out of the safety of the woods and sacrifice my dryad unit after it caused as much damage as it possibly could to the skeletons. knowing is half the battle and i could not have asked for a better flank charge on the blood knights after they were forced to chase down the last 3 dryads, really good tactical game, probably one of the best I've had for quite a while now .

i only didn't get a chance to face Nathan and Trevor, for Nathan that was probably for the best (just ask don what 20 waywatchers do to brets), for Trevor... well lets just say i get to keep my untarnished WOOD ELF WINNING STREAK.

Thanks all for the fun weekend

Last edited by Kuyp on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 pm

One minor correction. Carson only scored a minor victory, not a massacre against me. Otherwise the other recordings of my games look correct.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Unless I'm blind, you missed my Massacre over Carson. It's very important to me that that one, more than any other, gets posted. Make sure you get that one....

....you know, the one where I massacred Carson.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 am

I thought I won that game....are you sure

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 am

LOL!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 pm

So it was a massacre for Carson?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Darren and I played tonight.

Ogres vs Skaven
Dawn Attack
Ogres got first turn.

I played my Twin Tower list that I lost to Carson with. I pretty much had the massacre by Round 3. My shooting was fantastic early on, my Doomwheel did what it does best even though he died in round 2, and so did my Hellpit. Darren had a lot of points tied up in a gutstar which I was able to threat with my Hellpit, and make it dance around for a few turns. That being said, once it got into combat, he broke a unit of 50 slaves on the turn he charged. One fight he did 33 kills in one round of combat, killing my steadfast, and making them explode. That was some serious fire power. I personally think if he took some of that power and spread it out, the list would do better. It is too easy to tie up one expensive unit with chaff for most of a game.

Win to Skaven, massacre, neither army was painted.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Darren and I played tonight.

Ogres vs Skaven
Pitched Battle
Ogres got first turn
No one was fully painted

The game was super close until turn 4. On turn 4, Skaven did some serious ass whoopin', and won the game. My Grey Seer made 4 miscast rolls this game, and survived without losing any levels, and had no wounds on him at the end of the game. Booyah!

We will be playing again tomorrow night. We are running experimental lists, and trying out new combinations and units. Pretty fun.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Darren and I played tonight, testing more stuff.

Pitched Battle
Ogres got first turn
No one was fully painted

I made a lot of mistakes early on this game. I made a deployment mistake, and then a few movement errors. I thought I was going to lose due to them, but in turn 3, the game started to turn in my favour.

My Hell Pit flank charged into a big block of ogres, and broke them, running them down, but ended up in a mist wreathed swamp due to rolling a 16 on his overrun. whoops! Not good. On turn 4, he killed my redirector and overran into my Hell Pit (who was in the swamp). My 50 man slave unit charged his flank, pinning his General's unit in the mist wreathed swamp. His Wizard who happened to be a Hydra at the time didn't fare so well in the movement phase. Needing a 2 on the INI test, he failed, and his model was removed. Also 3 other ogres perished in the swamp in the movement phase due to failed ini tests. My Hell Pit survived the INI test, but died in combat to the remaining ogres due to some pretty amazing whiffs on my regen saves, as well as rolling FEED for the 3rd time that game and not doing much... However, I broke his remaining ogres due to ranks, charge, flank, and enough wounds. My slaves victoriously overran his General's unit.

I am considering promoting my slave unit to clan rats... Bah! No I will just whip them for being so cocky!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:11 am

Nathan and I played a game tonight

Trevor (Skaven) vs Nathan (Dwarves)
Pitched Battle
Nathan fully painted and Dwarves got first turn

Was a very close game tonight. Turn 6 saw both of our armies sway 600 points. He popped my Grey Seer, and my Doomwheel, and I popped a Runebearer? and remainder of a really wounded unit with my Warp Lightning Cannon on my turn. The Dreaded Thirteenth through miscast went off mid game and hit his General's unit very hard. Turning 17 out of I think 25 in the unit into Clan Rats. Nathan killed 1,111 points of Skaven, and I killed around 1800 points of Dwarves in the end. It was actually a draw until my turn 6! Skaven victory.

Thanks for the game Nathan! It was a nailbiter, and good practice for the tournament. I made some deployment errors yet again, and though I recovered, my two hammers were not killing anything most of the game because of it. I need to think harder at the start of the game.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:17 am

Andre and I had a game today. We played one of the scenarios from the back . Basically we had a multi part piece of terrain in the center each step up was worth more and more victory points. Game ended turn five when andre called it as all he had left was some spiders and trolls. I actually like that scenario. Lots if maneuvering and waiting for when to strike. Neither was painted and it was our second game 7-2 for me

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:19 am

I had a game with sean yesterday. Let me tell you if that stupid daemon prince doesnt die soon.... 4 misscasts , 4! And still alive to tell the tale with two extra wounds and T7! Come on man.

Anyway sean got a victory from me breaking my streak. I took a "just for the hell of it" list and it didnt do very well a flank charge on some Dragon ogres ran thwm off and a dwellers plus shooting plus shield of thornes fillaly got rid of a large unit of warriors and bsb. My just for fun was a highborn on great eagle with the dunce cap.. oh look lucky me I got lore of life, the same one I can allways take...

Second time we played
Sean 5
Dom 3

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:10 pm

God i love my misscasts! Hasnt steered me wrong yet! And it makes me STRONGER. It was a fluffy list but still fun. You kited my Crushers like a boss i swear i dont think they swung their axes once before they died did they? The highlord messed my hellcannon up for a couple turns. With u usually winning combat. Was a fun game thx Dom. Im sure your next list against me u wont go easy on me or my Prince!

Last edited by Kal on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Advice time: No more Lol's. Ever.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 am

The points you put up there are a bit off Dom, mostly because it was a ladder challenge and Sean takes your spot. the points should be 6-3 since you each get an extra point for playing a ladder challenge and you each lose a point for playing each other a second time so they cancel out.

Don, did you get any games in this weekend? Sorry I couldn't make it out, my wife was sick of losing me to Warhammer this month so I decided not to push it and opted to spend the weekend with the family.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

Oh noes! Chaos is climbing up the ladder!!! Someone stop them, they hurts Skaven!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:57 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top