Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  squalie on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Does anyone know what Chaos Warrior tears look like?

I do. Very Happy 

Carson came to visit this weekend which created a little impromptu games day of about 8 guys.  I played my Bretonnians against Seans Warriors for our league playoff game and when the dust settled, Sean extended his hand and I hadn't lost a single unit. (Booyah!)

I will say that my memory is a little vague because all I can think about is how awesome I am, (I'm totally loving this) but his Daemon Prince got KO'd by a Trebuchet and the Chimera didn't get the job done either.  Having lost his DP early game was huge for me.  I will admit his dice weren't spectacular, and my Grail Knights ran through his Skullcrushers like a razor egded sword (Lance?).  Seans normal enthusiasm was a little softened, but he was a good sport about his Warrior army getting absolutely destroyed by the Chaostonnians. Sean will hear about this for awhile.  He was hoping the playoff game would work in his favour but I prayed like crazy and the Lady listened.

I'll say here that Seans placement of 2 Warhound units were a lot of the reason I could take advantage of well placed charges that favoured where I placed my units in contact.

MVP: Trebuchets + Grail Knights.
Neither painted

the night before I had a game against Carson's VC with my High Elves.  Carson extended his hand when the HE just kept surrounding his army and there was little place for him to go.  A first turn Frostheart Phoenix with "Walk with worlds" or whatever was cast on it, put the big frozen bird directly behind his army and forced the tempo enough that he couldn't respond to everything.  His winds of magic was not strong and he couldn't move and raise fast enough to get back.

MVP: Frostheart Phoenix (Will be in every list)
Neither painted.

Next was my High Elves against Allan's Dwarfs.  Very, very active game and at the end we couldn't tell who won - not even a guess.  We even added each others list twice to find scrap points to sway the favour.  In the end, he stole 1109 from me and I stole 985 from him.  Dwarfs get the win in a very hard fought, back and forth, not a clue who won game.  No crazy dice swings, or weird "this never happens" events that you could make excuses from.  Just a perfect game of warhammer - just how it should be.  Absolutely a rematch in the future for these 2 long bittered enemies.

MVP: Frostheart.  Eventually died in combat, but got through 2 Cannons, 2 Bolt throwers and 2 Stone throwers - all pretty much with "some rune" or other on them.  Yep, you read that right.
Not painted.

Lastly, was my High Elf army against Franks new Dark Elves.  Another great game, even though I bitched about the Pendant dreadlord on Pegasus.  Holy Jeebus, is that thing annoying.  And when I say annoying, I mean effective.  And when I say effective - I mean broken.  Things looked locked for Frank in the beginning when he had a couple units of mine either fleeing from panic, or diluted enough to make me nervous.  After a few turns, my tainted brothers were feeling the hurt, as I rallied to make the battle interesting. In the end though, dead models don't always equate to dead units and this is 8th edition.  Kill them all or lose.  He took 1700+ from me and I could only claim 500+ from Frank.  Big massacre win for the Piece of S***, stab you in the back Dark Elves.Very Happy   Was actually a good game and a very good lesson of not giving up.  There were a few momemts in that game where we distinctly remember that rolling just one more 4+, or one more point on the Winds casting would have changed things for each of us in a profound way.  Play this game 10 times and not know who to gamble on.

Thoughts on this game:  Dark Elves are still hella good.  I mean - really good.  My 2 complaints are; the unkillable Dreadlord, the Cold one Knights with base strength 4 and toughness 4 (compared to Dragon Princes) and the fact that DE get hatred rerolls against HE, while HE gets psychology rerolls from DE?! That's it?  All that means is we get a second chance to not run away from them beating us up!  Ok, that's 3 things, but whatever.  Was a fun game though.

MVP: Frostheart again. even though the poor thing eventually died to the dreadlord, it took Shadow Magic hexes to help.  Love the cold bird!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 am

Sounds like a great time, sorry I missed it. With that, Don and Dom are into the finals. Who would have guessed we'd have wood elves vs bretonnians?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm

I get away weekend for me to Dons turned into an imprompt games day. Great fun.

I've never whined so much in my life over an army but man...I am having a hard time "figureing" out the Vampire Counts. Numerous army list changes and lots of complaining have netted me the exact same results. Anyway,the next few games after Don went a bit better. A game against Seans "weak" Chaos list resulted in a tie after my Vampire lord died to a warshrine in turn 6 completeing a late come back. Yes even the feared Vampires can't stand up to a warshrine:affraid:

Next I squared off against Allans Dwarfs. The Dwarven shooting lit my undead up like christmas trees for the first few turns, but once They made it into combat my Vampires finally showed what they are made of and saw off the dwarfs. Massacre for me

Last game I faced off against Franks new dark Elves. I figured the Elf lord would have the pendant so I tried to avoid him but in the end our generals squared off for 6 combat phases. neither getting the final blow in until turn 6 where we both killed each other. I then promptly crumbled like a bitch and lost most of the rest of my army. I had the upper hand until that point but had to extend my hand with the loss of all my characters.. Great game for sure.

So...its back to the drawing board for yet another list.....

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Carson, I wouldn't change too much right now. Just get a feel for the army. With a Ghoul King (C'mon, what are the chances of the Warshrine thing happeneing again?) a big block of Ghouls and a block of Grave guard, just tweak the rest and I think you'll have an army that wins most of the time. The Blood Knights have to go.

A Ghoul king in a Ghoul horde, a Grave Guard horde, with Wight BSB and a Terrorgheist, plus, etc, etc. What else do you need? Very Happy 

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:27 pm

double post

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Definatly was an awesome weekend.

Don kicked my ass so hard. it wasn't even funny. My army showed up in Footie Pajama's with Foam Swords. seriously they couldn't get an armor save against a box of declawed kittens. that being said im not taking anything away from how Don played. definatly out generalled me (is that a word?) so it was a well deserved victory. side note Warriors Army for sale. CHEAP! just kidding.

Me and Carson squared off just doing a straight Battle Line and as the match started I realized I have nothing at all with magical attacks except my General Chaos Sorc with a magic sword. and only one truly offensive damaging spell that I rolled with Slannesh. So I immediately knew that spirit hosts were going to be a pain. and that they were. gotta say tho Warshrine with a 3+ ward definatly a combat champ XD Chosen and Warriors fell left right and center to that Ghoul King but not that Shrine, survived with one whole wound.

Carson I agree with Don, your list seemed to do quite well, it did what it needed to do and you would and should have had that match entirely except for that Boss Level Warshrine.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 am

If you dont have any magical attacks try to out combat res the spirit hosts and hope they go away before getting charged ny something else

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

Yeah definatly a learning experiance. Unfortunatly one combat was with a spirit host and an unbreakable Chaos Spawn. So no one was going anywhere haha.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Most of the list is getting the job done. Grave guard and ghoul hordes are great. Spirit hosts are really, really, good. The rest of the list needs work though. I wasn't impressed at all with crypt horrors...even when buffed with the mortis engine. magic still continues to be a problem, thought I might have solved it with the addition of the mortis engine.

Can't wait for the next game so I can try out some more things.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:13 am

Grave Guard are quite scarry. I never expect them to do as well as they do. The Mortis Engine is good, did i even end up killing it?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:51 pm

the mortis engine is good but not sure on it yet. It seems by the rules that it would be very impressive but in game terms dosn't live up to the hype. I can see why most undead forums recommend 2 of them, but then youv'e spent so many points that your limited in certain builds. It was killed in all 4 games over the weekend. twice to shooting, once to a hydra and you killed it with your sorcerer lord.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 pm

O rite rite i remember now. Did it die after it did its job or way to fast? What kind of save does it have? Just a regen?

Side note. Could we possibly start a new report thread? Just on my phone i have to scroll through and load all 10 pages to see new comments. Pain in my arse

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 am

I think there may already be a new thread started for the summer league. Sorry guys, I'm a bit behind on my duties. I just got back from a week in Peace Riverso I'll get everything sorted this weekend.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Don and i managed to have our playoff game this weekend. In a show down between the chaos brets the wood elves dons unfortunate luck from a game with Carson carried over and kept on running. both his trebs did nothing the first turn and that was the last thing they did but die. dons knights were bouncing of my alter highborn, and were getting ripped apart else were by my war dancers. don called it in turn five as he didn't have much he could do with only a handful of knights left and plenty of killing bow to go around. a win for the wood elves.

I'll possibly do a better full report latter when i have more time.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:16 pm

And with that, Dom wins the league. I'll let Darren know.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Grats Dom!! Ya cheatin pointy ears! Haha jk

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:38 pm

Sponsored content