Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Sorry guys. I didn't get to play any games this weekend at all! I was on vacation all week, and between massive painting stints, and spending time with the wife, there was yardwork to catch up on for spring! We bought a bunch of trees and other shrubs to plant, etc...

Playing games would have been way ore fun!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun May 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Damn, had a long reply written out and then my laptop died and it went bye bye.

Forget mostly what I said now but Im definatly planning to make it to every event as long as I know about it enough in advance that I can book the time off if need be.

So I too had three games this weekend.

Andre O&G

Barely won this one which was pretty fun. We played Dawn Battle, most of my stuff ended up in one little corner as did Andres, which always makes for a fun and different game. Lost full unit of dragon ogres half my Skullcrushers and a fresh chariot to Fanatics, defiantly no the best way to learn what kind of damage those things can do haha. Lost 5/6 of my Knights to a mangler, Andre warned me that thing was a wrecking ball and I definatly found that out. I had no shooting to deal with the giant so I had to go toe to toe with them. and they hurt one beat the crap outta my hell cannon. just pop gone. My DP took on his general a unit of Arr boys a unit of night goblins and a couple of trolls. which tied up our one flank for most of the game. First time I've gotten to face Andre and was quite enjoyable. Minor Victory Me.

Carson VC

As Carson already said he kicked my butt. I deployed awkwardly at the start which didn't help. His Varghiest yelled a skullcrusher to death turn one and then got charged by a chariot turn 2 that got lucky and managed to hurt him enough that he crumbled. My DP and his Vampire Lord got into a fun little stabbing match which I only managed to win last turn. Carson definatly out played me like a master. Crushing Victory for Carson

Dom Wood Elves

This was quite a fun game, and im sure Dom will have more to say about it. We played scenario where if u held the hill you got this Tornado of Doom Spell. so that made things interesting for turn one till we both controlled the hill so neither of us controlled the hill. I can honestly say this is the first game I've had someone literally throw dice. it was quite amusing. The game ended in a tie because we both had remaining units on the hill. I had a DP, 3 Skullcrushers. 20 Warriors with an Exalted Hero BSB and a chariot all beating on a unit of.... im not sure but Elves with lots of different weapons? but they beat on this unit for 3 straight turns without being able to budge it off the hill. Flesh to stone made it UNKILLABLE. so the game ended in a Draw with both of us having units on the hill. Quite a fun game Very Happy

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun May 19, 2013 11:18 pm

I think the low turnout was mainly due to it being a long weekend. I am in Medicine Hat until tomorrow otherwise I'd have been there for at least a few games. Don't let the low turnout dissuade you from hosting again, I always enjoy those weekends.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 20, 2013 11:02 am

I posted this at Ulthuan, so thought I'd share it here:

We got together for a gamesday and I thought I'd try pretty much my old list before I got around to opening all the new stuff I have. Not so much a battle report, just some thoughts...

My list and used High Magic:

Arch Mage, book, Talisman of Preservation. (Found I didnt need Talisman)
BSB, Enchanted, Dawnstone, Dragon armour, GW

29 Lothern Seaguard - Mage here
15 Archers
5 reavers (forgot models, so didnt even bother putting anything out)

21 Swordmasters
20 Swordmasters - BSB here
21 White Lions
5 Dragon Princes (Totally forgot ward save all games!!)
3 Bolt throwers
3 Eagles

Not having rerolls is so different that it brings out the whiny voice in me. Martial prowess doesn't hold a candle. Oh well, here we go.

Played against Wood Elves, O&G and VC. Massacre win all 3 games.

High Magic is better than most will give credit for, but their were times I would have liked fewer direct damage spells. I think with the shooting we have, an all/mostly Augment/Hex selection would have been better. Moving my White Lions 20" to go beside a unit of Black Orcs was a giddy feeling and the look on the Orc players face told me all I needed to know. The possibilities of this lore don't really smack you in the face, they kind of creep up on you. The new Vauls unmaking is very good and will get dispel dice. the 18" direct damage is just that - 18". It's crazy how short that is compared to 24". Frustrating actually.

The arch Mage is alive and well, and I never lost her in any game. Magic phase is weird without Banner of Sorcery, but the book is so damn good that I quickly moved on to a new era. Holy crap is that book something else.

BSB, is actually pretty frail. certainly compared to the true Hero stats of a chaos BSB.

I love, and will keep Lothern seaguard. Often, having 5+ ward and a few times 3+ ward. After a few games the lightbulb goes off - and you go "waaiiiit, a minute". 3. Plus. Ward.

Archers were meh actually and will be replaced with Helms as soon as they're glued. The only issue I had was that if you wanted to charge my LSG that there may not be any counter threats. Actually considering 2 units of 8 Helms. One on each side, and leave one behind for implied threat. Archers are gone anyways. A lot of dice rolled that made no difference.

Reavers weren't put on table, but I paid attention to see what they could have done. I would have enjoyed that unit of 5. Very Happy

Swordmasters. 28 attacks (7X3) is very nice and theses guys still work. You can call me a Wambulance about not having rerolls. I really don't get peoples thoughts about small units of SM's. You win 8th edition by not having units die. MSU SM's would have melted away in the games I played and would have given points. I never lost a complete unit in any game.

White Lions. Actually had to use stubborn a few times as no rerolls, only one attack each - that after combat it was tight. Anyone that has used Treemen knows that stubborn on only ld 8 isn't reliable. You BSB can only be in so many places at once.

I love our infantry and will still use both.

Dragon Princes. I bitch and moan about these guys, but continue to use them as I love the fluff and models. They actually stood up better than I hoped and even forgot the 6+ ward! It's the rerolls I tells ya! Wink If they were strength 4 (easily explained) they would be in every list.

Eagles. Sigh. Still in love after all these years. If you even kinda know what you're doing with these things they're brilliant.

Bolt throwers. They didn't die at least. The only really thing they did was put pressure on the VC army (especially Black Knights) but I could have done that with a Phoenix. Which I'm going to trade these out for.

The army still works, and so does Martial Prowess. It just isn't Speed of Asuryan.

Out:
Archers
Bolt throwers
One unit of Swordmasters

In:
Silver Helms
Frost Phoenix (drool)
21 Phoenix Guard
Skycutter Chariot

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 21, 2013 8:03 am

How are you running your Eagles Don? 1 by itself and the other 2 together or all 3 in a single unit? I'm interested in how well units of eagles would work. Also, did you upgrade any of your eagles with AP or ASF?

Keep in mind that you are only allowed 2 rare units of the same type so 3 individual eagles would be illegal.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 am

So for this past weekend I've got 7 games reported:

Don vs Andre - Non-league victory for Don
Don vs Dom - Non-league victory for Don
Don vs Carson - Non-league victory for Don
Carson vs Sean - Victory for Carson
Dom vs Carson - Massacre for Dom
Sean vs Andre - Victory for Sean
Sean vs Dom - Draw

Are there any games that I'm missing? Also, the order of those games may be important for ladder standings, right now I've got Carson taking Sean's ladder spot but I don't know if that happened before or after Dom beat Carson, I'm guessing after. If there are other games that didn't get reported then it gets even trickier.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 am

Nathan, I had someone point that out to me on ulthuan. Never even occurred to me that i could only have 2 single Eagles. Wow - my very bad. All 3 games were illegal, but I did pay for Reavers that never got fielded. Forgot the models.

Personally, I have no intention of making Eagles more expensive. Their only job is to be sacrificed. I think the ASF upgrade could be something to explore, but I'm already finding it difficult to find enough points for everything I want. Smile

Rerolling attacks may be cool for eagles as they only get 2. Hm.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 21, 2013 11:16 am

One might almost say they were. illEAGLE

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 pm

-2 league points for that Sean. Very Happy

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

You know you loved it Razz.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue May 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Game order was ..
Don-dom
Sean-andre
Sean-carson
Don- andre
Dom-carson
Don-carson
Sean- dom

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Kal wrote:One might almost say they were. illEAGLE

Actually that was pretty funny.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Nathan and I had a game last night. He usedhis wild card chchallenge to try and take my spot. Nathan started his turn one charging head long in to my treeman who was behind an obstacle. The following combat would set the tone for most of the game. His knights errant swung at the tree bit only hit it once and caused no wounds. Treeman did some damage back and heald o his stubborn test. My turn two my highborn on forest dragon charged the flank of the knighta errant. I cut all but two down and the dragon caught the last two.else where my archers were rapidly picking apart the grail knights the way watchers were randsacking a treb and some dryads, wild riders and an eagle were making two units of knoghts question what they were doing. Nathan did manage to make a comeback though, by heroically' killing the Dragon, cutting the treeman in to logs and mopping up all my waywatchers. Game ended in a victory for me. Second time we played ? Defended my ladder spot and neither fully painted

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:43 am

Andre and I played a game last night at his place. We tried out our 1500 point tournament armies which meant I was playing high elves for the first time since they got their new book. I'm not using much of the new stuff, just a loremaster. In the game everything went my way or rather nothing went andre's way and i ended with a crushing victory. I'll write up a proper report along with my impressions on the new high elves when in not on my phone.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 am

Nathan, I'm very interested to hear your unit evaluations about the new HE. I know you're up at dawn every day so get to it! Very Happy

**edit**

Sean, Frank, Barclay, Jim and Jim's friend are coming over today for a few games. a mini games day if you will. Sean wants to try the Bretonnians so my Bret lord's going to be eaten by a Daemon Prince. Sad

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:53 am

Nom nom. Tasty Lordling Flesh Wink. Not gonna lie im intimidated by yout knights. But on the otherhand my guys are men after all. Dont u have Heroic Killing Blow?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Ok, its time to feel sorry for myself..............why oh why can't I get to play more often...stupid living in the country thing!

Thats it I'm selling out.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Yeah man! Must play more HAMMER!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:59 am

So Andre and I played a 1500 point meeting engagement. I used High Elves and Andre used Orcs and Goblins. As we were using the lists we are planning to bring to the tournament I won't tell everyone Andre's list but I brought a unit of 41 spear-elves with a BSB, a unit of 20 swordmasters with a loremaster and 2 units of 5 dragon princes. Needless to say, my army looked very small compared to Andre's. Still, I was confident and things started going my way from the start with a big block and character of Andre's being held back in reserve and animosity and stupidity hobbling another couple units. Things kinda kept going that way for Andre all game as he miscast twice, both times getting the large template result which devastated that unit (killed a total of 24 orcs between the two detonations) and sucked the caster into the warp. Animosity at key times also hurt Andre as his unit elected to squabble instead of make a juicy flank charge into my spears late in the game. In the end I lost both dragon prince units while Andre lost his army.

Now onto the analysis:

Spear-elves - these guys are as good as ever. Nothing much has changed and I still like them. They are more than a match for an equally sized unit of night goblins Wink

Dragon Princes - The same only better. The 6+ ward is a nice addition, it even saved a couple in this game! Plus the fact that they're cheaper makes them worth it in my mind.

Swordmasters - Still deadly even without re-rolls. You are throwing so many dice that the laws of statistics are in your favor. It is extremely unlikely that you will have a "bad" roll when you are throwing 29 dice at a time. Of course you probably won't get a "good" roll either, you'll get average and that is probably for the best. It means you know what to expect. A full unit of 21 (3 ranks of 7) should get 19 hits resulting in 12 wounds (hitting and wounding on 3's). And 12 wounds is nothing to sneeze at.

Noble - I gave this guy a great weapon but I'm not sure if that is the way to go anymore. While the swordmasters are throwing enough dice to cancel out the chances of a bad roll, 3 dice is not a large enough sample size to do that. I was regularly only getting one hit with this guy. Although I like the high strength that a great weapon gives, I may have to re-think how I've got him kitted out.

Loremaster - I like this guy. He has a lot of spell options and he's as killy as a noble. I rolled poorly with him in my game with Andre but I saw the potential that he has. He probably can't handle the magic phase on his own in a larger game but at 1500 points he was in his element.

After the tournament I'll be able to talk about more units, I'm not trying out any of the new fun units but I've got some other tricks up my sleeve.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

Had 2 games last night. First against Sean's broken as f*** Warriors army. Warriors have an answer for pretty much everything. Whole army is tough, strong, great weapon skill with lots of attacks, fast and great armour saves. And flying. My first experience with a Chimera and all I can say is - I want one. Although at the end of the game my Bret units just wouldn't go away because of my cool characters, I could only kill a chariot giving Sean the massacre win. I enjoyed the Brets and immediately put into work a different list. I think the Grail Knights just have to go. Too many points for toughness 3. Nurgle Daemon princes should be errated. Period. Give them stubborn instead of unbreakable (?!?!?) and I'd be totally cool with that.

Next game was against Barclays Daemons with my High Elves. First game against the new Daemons and I have mixed feelings about that book. The reign of chaos table didn't do too much but I could see how it could completely screw up a game. The Game was a good game. White lions melted to the Great Unclean One. I failed most of my fear tests during the game and I DIDN'T like that! Beasts of Nurgle really are Beasts and Swordmasters make very short work of Daemonettes. I gave Barclay first turn, the very last turn of the game went to me and the Dragon Princes made a courageous charge through the dead bodies of the White Lions, Swordmasters and White Lion chariot to make the lucky strike they needed to kill the Great Unclean One in the very last roll of the game. Epic indeed. Victory for the High Elves!

Love the models, but Bolt throwers have to go. White Lion chariots are cool with stubborn. The thing is they aren't alive long enough to be stubborn! Very Happy it's made me rethink the whole chariot thing for High Elves. I want a Skycutter but don't think it'll do any better than a White Lion chariot. Phoenix is being tried next game.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Was a good game Don. Didnt expect your amry to be that defencive. I couldnt do anything to them! First few turns it was going well but then it was like running into a brick wall! And you didnt rly get a strong magic phase right off the bat.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14 pm

andre and i also played a 1500 pt game. not much to say about this game, andre's bad luck from nathans game transfered over to our game and then some, killed everything but one unit of orcs and i didnt lose any points. massacre for me, played a few times and not painted

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:29 am

Darren and i played our playoff game last night.

the terrain had lots of special things like 2 wizards towers, sphinx, tower of blood...so on, giving lots of options for benefits across the board.

i had my work cut out for me from the start, i had a pretty standard elf list and Darren brought the pain with a lv4 beasts, lv2 gut, bsb , 9 bulls 9 guts a few tusks and a horde of man-eaters (18)Shocked i started the game concentrating all shooting and my main combat units to take that unit down, shooting killed the back rank before they closed on my treeman and killed him outright in one go overrunning in to some archers. else where i was running down the bulls units with wild riders and an alter highborn. about turn 5 and lost all my archers a unit of dryads, war-dancers, and war-dancer general, i finally managed to bring down the man-eater unit and chase it down ( two turns of war-dancer characters with savage beast of horrors can take quite a bit down.) and in an attempt to get more points (before i had beat the man-eaters) my alter highborn charged in the iron guts and challenged his lv4 who at the time was a hydra, and managed to beat him down.

the game ended with a win for me

Don Sean have you guys had your game yet ? results ?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 am

Holy crazy sounding game! Sounds like it was fun. Lots of fancy terrain. No we have not had our game yet.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:36 am

Our game is tomorrow. I am praying to the Lady already.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:33 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top