Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Game #1 for Darren and I.
Ogres vs Skaven.
Neither were painted.

Ogres beat Skaven by 218 points.

It was a real close game, his dice sucked in the first half of the game, and mine sucked in the last half, so bad dice all in all we didn't feel was a factor. I was able to learn what some of my units could do in combat, and the game reinforced my ability to finally recall some of my special abilities, not having to look up absolutely everything. I went at the Ogres hard with my units because I wanted to test them against what I consider scary melee units. I think they did as expected. My plague monks and plague furnace ravaged one of his units early in the game, but late in the game losing the furnace to shooting, not having the unbreakable made me understand just how important the furnace is for a plague monk unit's survival. Now I know why some people don't take them at all in lists.

I did forget that I get a +1 to flee rolls, but it wouldn't have made a difference, and I forgot to challenge with my champ in one of my combats, which would have helped a little. I also was unable to shoot my brass orb. His units were able to snipe my character out of my unit. That Orb could have done some serious damage. My Doom Rocket did as expected.

My Hell Pit Abom was an embarrassment the whole game, killing nothing, and getting wiped out in combat against poison attacks, and whiffing on his feed roll. My Warp Lightning Cannons were the MVP on my team, killing his cannon, and killing one of his mages. Both died by the end, but they easily made up their points. My Doomwheel didn't do much either, but always makes him very scared nonetheless. It always has the potential. Smile

I am loving the playstyle of the Skaven far more than the Wood Elves, and am glad I started them. Lots of fun playing them so far.

Last edited by Trevor Y. on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring 2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:47 am

Glad you're having fun with the army. Would be a shame after all that work to realize they're not for you. Laughing

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:52 am

I think I would cry after all that work!

I still am looking forward to getting my Tomb Kings to a playable state as well. But I want to get my Skaven painted first, so it likely won't be until next year that I dust them off.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Want some advice? Don't put too much work into the Tomb Kings. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:55 pm

You think I should sell them off on ebay before I start and change armies?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Trevor Y. wrote:You think I should sell them off on ebay before I start and change armies?

I wouldn't say that exactly -- but if I were you I'd be open to other options. Wink Honestly, I really enjoy the army but it can be pretty frustrating. I just treat them like Beastmen - expect to lose, happy when I don't. Love the models though, kinda like a cruel mistress.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:17 am

That is how I feel about Wood Elves in 8th edition. Sad

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 am

Dom and I just played a Pitched Battle at my place tonight.
Dom's Ogres vs my Skaven.
Dom's were mostly painted except for his scrap launcher, and mine were not painted.

Quick Summary:
This was a weird game. First half of the game, both our Magic phases were terrible. I felt that Dom was kicking my ass pretty hard during that time. He got some pretty early charges off into my Slave units. I lost both my WLCs (one misfired and was taken out of the game), a Rat Dart, and he was in on all 3 of my units of slaves! I was dancing like a monkey with my skirmishing Gutter Runners, playing them like they were Wood Elves. I tried to make them as annoying as possible to draw attention, but am still not sure how well they performed. I couldn't wound his Scrap Launcher, and he had free reign to shoot me up. Luckily most of the game, his scrap launcher only ended up killing one WLC and some small stuff.

Once Dom got into my slaves, his Ogres were killing 20 models each round, in two units, and his Giant was killing about 6-12 each turn depending on his Thunderstomps. I think that is why I felt like I was getting destroyed. Luckily I had 50 models in two of those units and it took him 3 rounds to cut them all down. I also lost both my Warlock Engineers, but not before I hit him once with a Crack's Call, and a Brass Orb. One of my Warlock Engineers ate 3 bolts of Warp Lightning from my Doomwheel. To be fair, I think I should have earned points for that. Wink It was a failure of epic proportions in shooting...

My HPA did nothing but wander around this whole game chasing the elusive Scrap Launcher, and rolling like ass with my 3D6 move. It finally did something useful in turn 6. The HPA ran into the rear one of his mages that was tied up with my Gutter Runners who stuck due to an epic leadership test the previous round. Unfortunately the Abom rolled an epic failure of FEED on his action table. Luckily it did enough damage to break his mage and run him off the table. The HPA lost most of his wounds crossing the river a couple of times. Why do I keep rolling rivers as terrain? I really need to start Lizardmen... seriously...

My Doomwheel did some serious damage this game, and survived with only one wound left. This is the first time I think the Doomwheel has survived a game. He ate quite a few Ogres today, as well as my Warlock Engineer and a few Clanrats and slaves. I think Dom might agree that he was my MVP. My Doomwheel didn't care if it was my units or Dom's, it just killed everything it got close to. Based on my last two Ogre games, I think Doomwheels perform exceptionally well. Having 2 of them in a list would be really cheesy vs Ogres, I think.

The most entertaining battle of the game was the Giant who in turn 2 charged a unit of 40 Slaves with musician (worth 82 points), and in round 6, with only 14 models remaining, the slaves roll the 3 they needed for Leadership to avoid fear (Leadership 2, plus one rank=3), and then with their new found courage, slay the Giant in Round 6 by delivering the final wound. The Giant toppled away and hit nothing. They earned their points this game!

When turn 6 ended and Dom said I had won the game, I had to do a double take. I didn't think I had won based on all my casualties sitting on the other table. Half of my models were off the table!!! But in the end most were only worth 2 points each.

I have to stop thinking I have expensive Wood Elves!!!

In the end the Skaven got a Crushing victory against the Ogres, who had a Scraplauncher, 4 bulls and a mage left on the table, and the Skaven lost around 700 points in models.

I felt that Dom's list was a little tougher than Darren's, even though I lost to Darren's list this week. Dom had a LOT of Ogres, and no Gnoblars. It was intimidating. I learned a lot from the first game I had with Darren, changed my list, and tried out the Screaming Bell for the first time.

The Bell really didn't do much except randomly blow up a Tower of Blood, which was coincidentally giving me Frenzy and Hatred, and I wasn't too happy with my Bell for doing that. >.<

Having the 360 degree vision, Unbreakable, 4+ Ward and MR(2), made me feel very comfortable through the game. I don't know whether I like the Plague Furnace or the Bell more. They each have their different benefits. Bell is Defensive, and the Furnace is Offensive. I think the Bell worked better against Ogres. Furnace probably will work better against lower STR and Toughness based armies with the Frenzied Plague Monks... I am really considering buying another box of Clan Rats... I also want to try out a unit of Rat Ogres soon. Need to assemble 4 more first though.

Lots of fun! Been able to play lots over the last few weeks, and am loving it!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am

Trevor vs Darren
Skaven vs Ogres 2500
Scenario: Watch Tower
Ogres got first turn, Skaven put a unit of 20 Clanrats in the tower to start

Turn 1:
Ogres misfired with their cannon, and rolled that it could not shoot for 2 turns. Magic put Flame Cage on a unit of slaves. Mournfang, Giant, and a few blocks of troops move up. Skaven responded by sucking ass in turn one. Rolling decent for magic phase, the Seer tried to cast warp lightning with 2 dice on his first cast, and rolled snake eyes. Yeah, awesome... Shooting was even better. Warp Lightning cannons do nothing, Doom Rocket misses, Brass Orb misses, Gutter Runners do 1 wound on the Giant. Doomwheel shoots my Plague Monks and fails to wound, because I failed Leadership. Epic turn for Skaven. Just epic! This is the randomness factor of the Army showing itself... lol!

Turn 2:
Mournfang charge Slaves, Giant charge Plague Monks, another block of Ogres with character inside charge slaves. Cannon charges Hell Pit Abom. One small block of ogres attack tower. Magic turns his only mage into a level 0 casting a big version of flame cage on my slaves. Shooting kills one Warpfire thrower. Ogres grind down the Slaves with few casualties. Ogres bounce off of the tower losing a model. Plague Monks lose combat, and their frenzy. Skaven respond by casting Blessed with Filth on the Plague Monks, Ogres scroll the Wither, Seer casts Howling Warpgale. Gutter Runners move and shoot and do some wounds to an Ogre shooty unit. WLC blast into a unit attacking slaves, and do a few wounds to the Ogres, and then hit the tower with a template killing 16 Clan Rats. Ouch. I am killing myself more than the Ogres are! Doomwheel shoots Plague Monks again, but misfires. However, I roll a 6, and the misfire adds +1D6" to my Doomwheel movement until end of game. Woot! 4D6 random movement! Combat has Ogres grinding down the slave blocks. Hell Pit kills the Ogre Cannon and reforms.

Turn 3:
Ogres have no magic phase, takes a long shot at a free unit of slaves, doing some wounds. Small unit of two ogres sit in the forest setting up a charge instead of attacking tower again and using it for cover against the Gutter Runners. Combat sees more grinding of slaves and Plague Monks. Not going good for Skaven in the Combats. Losing 12-20 models per combat phase. Ouch! Plague Monks do a few more wounds to the Giant, and the Giant beats up more monks. Seer casts Warp Lightning into the 2 remaining Ogres in the unit hiding in the forest by the tower. It kills one, but since it was in a Blood Forest, the Forest attacks them, and leaves the unit with one wound left. It panics and flees, taking a Dangerous Terrain test, failing it, and the forest eats the last ogre... Seer gets a second Wither off on Ogre unit with characters in it, reducing it to Toughness 2. Skaven turn has Warpfire Thrower shooting into Slave Combat, and hits Mournfang with Template, taking one down. WLCs do very little, WLC shoots into Mournfang, and kills another (now down to 1 Mournfang). Slingers shoot the Ogre shooty unit and do a few more wounds. Hell Pit fails to Charge Ogre shooty unit by one inch.

Turn 4:
Ogre shooty unit charges the HPA, and kills it. Death Counter is left on battlefield for end of turn to see if Abom resurrects. Ogres hero takes slave unit down to enough models for it to explode a whopping 1", doing a final wound to the unit before dying. The Plague Monks kill the Giant, and the Slaves finish off the last Mournfang. All reform. Skaven cast Bless with Filth on the 11 models left fighting his character block which is now T2. Yes, now the slaves need only 3's to wound! WHIFF. Missed all 11 attacks needing 4's to hit. Nice... The Doomwheel moves closer to the enemy. The Dead Hell Pit Abom rolls enough to bring 3 Rat Swarms into play which now face the Ogre Shooty unit's flank. We roll to see if the game ends, and require a 6 to end it, since it is Turn 4. We roll a 6. Game Over.

Skaven Control the Tower at end of game with a block of 20 Clan Rats

Skaven Victory. Neither Army was painted. Was a very close game. We estimated that Ogres lost maybe 200 more points than Skaven total during this game. Over 130 Skaven Models hit the graveyard this game. The dead pile was massive. Very close and fun game.

If we were playing a Pitched Battle it is hard to say who would have won. I had his most expensive block down to T2, and my Doomwheel was at full health. My Plague Monks still had 2 ranks in Horde formation, and did not activate the Plague Banner yet and still had the Plague Priest, there was a unit of slaves with around 40 models left, and a block of 20 clan rats with a BSB and seer. He still had his characters, and most of his points were in the two remaining blocks, though the Shooty unit, only had 5 models left, ad the main block only had 5 left at Toughness 2.

Very fun game!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 am

I went and visited Carson on the weekend. You guys missed out - great food and Aiden's (Carson's son) love for the game is pretty cool.

Anyways, took my Bretonnians and Tomb Kings. He played his Dark Elves all weekend. Both armies unpainted.

First game was a win for me, but barely. SO barely in fact that we had to double check as the models on the table visually was deceiving for the point tally. There was a huge point swing for both of us turn 6. He flank charged a unit of Realm Knights with damsel which ended up taking another unit of Realm Knights with the lvl 4 Prophetess right off the table. Booooo. I responded by convincing the stubborn black Guard unit to not be stubborn and I ran them down for the win.

Next game was a little more convincing as the tainted Knights showed the Dark Elves that 8th edition didn't leave the Bretonnians behind. A very convincing win for the Chaostonnians. Massacre for me!

The first game was a regular game and except for the cool battles turn 6, was pretty uneventful. The second game though I will readily admit that Trebuchets and Dwellers below won be the game. Period. And I feel that may be the theme for Bretonnians. Trebuchets are gross (as I never misfire - or even miss for that matter) Ol' "stonethrower" Matwe they used to call me in school. Wink And Dwellers below is the single reason to take life. Er me gerd, is that an amazing spell - especially against Dark Elves. That makes it 7 - 0 with the Bretonnians so far! Woohoo!

Third game I played Tomb Kings, so non league, but Carson beat the pants off the Tomb Kings. I was actually thinking a was looking good, but my magic was shut down, almost completely and that's never a good sign - especially for TK. I charged both units of Necro Knights into his 50 spearmen with reverse ward master. I rolled like a sissy with gave the 30 strong unit of Witch Elves a rear charge and after those chickies had done their thing (28 wounds I had to save!) there wasn't much left for me to try to recoup the game so I extended my hand to Carson. He promptly spit on it and laughed maniacally - apparently enjoying the massacre. I was painted, he was not.

Wow, are Bretonnians a different army in the 8th edition realm.

Also, off topic; Carson may kill me for telling you this, but he's in the hospital apparently with a case of pneumonia. He was pretty sick (as in very) on the weekend when I was there and just got worse. Send some positive thoughts his way and politely (or forcefully) remind him to slow down and rest every once in awhile.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 am

Damn! Get well soon Carson! Sad

Great to see the Chaostonnians doing well so far. Bret's are supposed to be mid tier in 8th, where TK is bottom with Beasts and Woodies, so you should see more wins from them. Nice to see the games being played already.

Get your bros to join the league, tie them up, and throw them into your trunk every couple of weeks on your trip to Toontown. Let's get more games rockin!

I can play nearly every weekend, and my house is always open if the Den is busy with an event.

Matt has his core on order so he should be sporting WoC soon.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 am

What's the list he's thinking on running? I think we'll have 3+ WoC armies looking virtually identical. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 am

I have no clue what he has planned. He basically went through the book, looked at the models, and put an order in. I know he did buy some of the models based on how they looked, so hard to say. He was supposed to come over last weekend to run some lists through army builder, but he hasn't done that yet. Not that I know much about Chaos at all. Never played against them before.
Smile

I think the Ogres are prone to the same thing. Hmm. 1-2 units of Mournfang, 1-2 Scraplaunchers, fill in the rest to taste because the rest don't matter... lol! I don't mind playing against Ogres, my army can handle them. Ogres toss my slaves around like rag dolls killing 12-20 each round. My slaves don't like it much, but they don't have a vote, because they are slaves... I've been having some pretty close/fun games with Ogres so far.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:06 pm

That's what Slaves are for. You should praise them for doing their job well! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Actually, according to fluff, Skaven eat their dead bodies after battle. They taste good.
Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 pm

That's kinda cool actually.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Trevor (Skaven) vs Darren (Warriors of Chaos)
Neither painted
Blood and Glory
Skaven had a general, BSB and 3 Banners, Trolls had General, BSB and 2 Banners.

Darren tried out an almost all troll army with special character and some fast cav. I don't want to go into too much detail, because the Skaven wiped out most of his army and only lost one Warp Lightning Cannon (90 points due to misfire), and two rat darts (46 points total) as unit losses in return.

The breaking point was his Troll death star horde rolling stupid on a rerollable 8 on turn one, shambling forward, then being forced to charge a rat dart set up with a terrible angle for his overrun on turn 2, and being unable to overrun very far. This set up a flank charge from a horde of Plague Monks with a hidden assassin (who accepted the challenge from his BSB and killed him outright before he could attack back), and an opposing flank charge from the Hell Pit Abom, breaking the unit and it bouncing through his mage on disk (who was also fleeing due to losing combat from a charging slave unit in the same round) off the table.

My Warp Fire Thrower, finally did something after 3 games, burning up a lot of dogs, and some Slannesh cav. Skaven shooting and magic did minor damage even when hitting with Crack's Call, Warp Lightning, and Warp Lightning Cannons. The major damage was due to breaking the blocks through combat resolution.

Skaven victory, taking out all banners, losing none in return. His Demon Prince General chose to flee a counter charge from my Skaven Slaves after failing to charge my Grey Seer, so he was fleeing at the game end.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Trevor (Skaven) vs Darren (Ogres)
Blood and Glory
Neither Painted

I tried a new fluffy list adding in two units of Rat Ogres (which are thought of as the worst unit choice Skaven can make), and pulling out my Plague Monks. On paper it looked like this list would work well and I had a solid strategy for it.

This game was over by the end of turn 3.

Turning point in the game: On turn two magic phase, my Grey Seer on the Bell fell into the warp due to rolling a 4 on the miscast table, and my awesome Leadership 5 and less units all ran off the table or broke from all combats by the end of turn 3. I was able to take out a unit of Mournfang this game before he rolled me.

This was the first game that I did not take an Earthing Rod, and the first game that I miscast with a 2-4. I figured that the odds were low that this would happen, and of course it did... Murphy's Law.

Win for Darren and his Ogres!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Played a game with my brother last night. I let him use my high elves while I tried out the brets. It was a bad matchup for the brets and I did not play very well. In the end it was a massacre for my brother.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Darren (Ogres) vs Trevor (Skaven)
Pitched Battle
Neither army painted

I tried a balanced list consisting of close to 290 models. No Bell or Furnace. Darren tried a new list as well. Terrain consisted of 6 hills, one forest, a marsh. Yes this was rolled randomly... LOL.

Not much to report here. Highlight of the game was the Giant rolling his random attack, and had to pick up a slave. The Giant had one wound left, and the slave got one chance to attack him before he died. I needed a 4 to hit, and a 6 to wound. The Slave Rolled what he needed and slayed the Giant. The slave poked him with his pointy stick.

Darren had his General and one Scourger remaining on the table at the end of the game (500ish points left alive). All other ogres were dead. Skaven lost a Doomwheel, 2 Warp Lightning Cannons, 2 units of Skavenslaves, 5 Gutter Runners, 1 Warlock Engineer (1861 left alive).

Massacre and Victory to Skaven.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 pm

This is turning into the Darren/Trevor League. Jealous of you guys!

Whatever happened to the good ol days of "Dom vs. Andre" league? Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:20 pm

I would play every day f I could! Smile

Darren and I decided to play at least one game every week regardless of whether or not anyone else does. We are trying out different lists, some fluffy, some are potential tournament lists. Dom and I got one game in so far, but I think it was against Ogres, and he switched back to Wood Elves. No one else has been able to play yet.

I can't wait until you guys can come up more regularly, now that spring has arrived. It will be nice to not have to play OGRES!!! They are really hard to beat with Skaven! They seriously beat the hell out of my slaves eating my tarpits like they are small speedbumps! Losing 15-20 models each turn per combat is scary. Stomps are not nice either...

These games are really teaching me Skaven. It is a really complicated army book. So many random tables, so many rules to remember, including 7 pages of FAQ. I made up cheat sheets for most of it, but every game I still find myself having to look up the odd thing here and there even with all these games under my belt. Shocked I do love the playstyle. Every game is entertaining and random, though due to all my units and special rules, I take a little longer each turn than an average Ogre player would. Wink

I finally found a tub to transport my minis in. But I can't bring my WHOLE army in it. Too many models! I will have to pick a list or two for the weekend and stick with it.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Just got back from Carson's and let me tell ya, if you want a cheap holiday, then just stay over a friends for the weekend and play Warhammer with a bunch of good guys. Very theraputic and the Chili and Pancakes (not together) were great! Don't understand why we don't do this every weekend. Very Happy

So, to my games:

- First game against Dom and his Guerilla Wood Elves. The sneaky buggers had bows that found all the soft spots in my Bretonnian armour. It became apparent that his killingblow/armour negating arrows weren't going to stop until I admitted defeat. I figure if I had 500 more points and 3 more turns, I coulda had him. Oh well, next time. Massacre win for Dom, neither army fully painted.

- Next game was against Darren and his Ogres. A massacre win for me and neither painted. Ogres are obviously a tough nut to crack and I may have had some luck, but I'll take it.

- On to the civil war! Nathans nice Brets against my tainted Bretonnians. His army was painted, mine was not and a win for me. We rolled Blood and glory (his fortitude 10 Shocked , mine an 8 ) which we promptly both forgot we were playing until Nathan realized turn 6. we counted and found I had already won. No matter how much I slapped his army around, they wouldn't tell me where the Grail was. I think that they might not even know themselves....dummies. Really, really, good game and so much fun we totally forgot what we were playing and just kept rolling dice. Not often you see Bret against Bret. Pfft, I keep telling everybody the dark side is stronger.

- After that was Zach and his Lizardmen. Regular win for Zach and neither painted. This was a great, very close game. the kinda close game where you add up the points twice hoping for a standard or something to swing the difference. Very Happy My armoured horses were locked in combat with 3 Ancient Stegadons (Yes, that's correct) and I just couldn't shift those stubborn, 3 dice ld test buggers no matter how hard I tried. At the end I got 1374 from him and he got 1572 from me. I realized writing this that all weekend (and this game)I forgot that I was steadfast when I was taking modified break tests! I'm such a dummy and I guess I just need more practice with the Brets.

- Last game fittingly enough, was against Carson and his VC. Neither army fully painted and a massacre win for my tainted Bretonnians. Another good game and I actually thought that I was going to be target practice for the powerful VC. At the end of the game all I lost was 2 Trebs and a unit of Peg Knights. (375 points?) He lost his (7!)Blood Knights to a combo charge from Realm and Grail Knights (insert sun beams and heavenly music here) and I dissolved a unit of skeletons with Wight BSB. I tried to keep his Vamp lord, Black Knight bus busy and away from my army as best I could. that's just too much muscle for me. It worked, I won and can't wait for another weekend like this. Probably my house in about mid/late may for a heads up.

After thoughts and unit evaluations:

Simply can't understand by looking at a Bret list and their stats how they win. I've now had 13 games and won 11. The armour and ward save is a beautiful thing and I actually do better against tougher things. The Lance formation is a beautiful military design and I'm appreciating the army in very subtle ways. It's just not a flashy army, with crazy rules and units. It's just a bunch of dudes on metal wrapped steeds and there's a quiet charm in that I suppose. I'm flabbergasted at how hard it can be to remove a unit of 9 Knights from the table. I obviously don't give them the credit and respect they deserve.

Trebuchets are beyond good at 90 points and 4 wounds. Add that to the fact that Ol' "Stone Thrower" Matwe is at the wheel and they rarely miss.

Grail Knights are still only toughness 3 but I noticed that a unit of 9, instead of 6, is funnily enough, more than twice as good. 382 points though - might change that up for 2 units of Knights and Archers.

BSB, Realm Knight unit is an eyebrow raise to opponents. I may only do a couple wounds, but still have a combat res of 9 from standards, BSB, warbanner, ranks etc.

Heroic killing blow Bret Lord has a rep for a reason. What a versatile Lord. Doesn't matter what he's fighting a 6 sends it to the corner of the table in the deadpool. Love him.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Yeah this was a fantastic weekend. Tons of fun, and the first time I ever got to play VC and Warriors of Chaos. Also the first time playing against Zach for a few years.

My Quick Summary:
Carson (Undead) - I tried my Twin Towers (Bell + Furnace). Carson scored a minor victory. I learned a lot from this game, including the fact that I should be taking Ruin and not Plague against VC. His army looked amazing, and really makes me want to make Undead. I am wanting too many armies!!!!

Frank (Ogres) - Frank had me on the ropes the first half of the game. I thought he was going to break the Horned Rat's back, especially after making me roll on the miscast table for all my wizards and bad things happened. Then suddenly, in one or two turns, I was able to overrun his General, and he barely had 3 units left. Though it was a massacre for me, it did not feel like it, and taking out the General's unit was definitely the turning point in the game.

Zach (Lizardmen) - Zach pulled off an epic 18" charge to get into my Seer's unit right in turn 1. This put me on my heels the whole game, and I wasn't able to stop this powerful unit the whole game or break it. The Slann had the magic phase clinched in his slimy fists. It was blood and glory, and as soon as he popped my Grey Seer, the game ended.

Nathan (Bretonnians) - The last time I faced Nathan's Brets, I was playing Wood Elves, and the game ended on turn 3. I was really worried going into this one. My Gutter Runners were able to kill his Trebuchet, and tie up his Peg Knights for long enough to break a few units of Knights. Also two of his knight units, failed 2 seemingly easy charges, which bought me extra time. Two carefully placed Dwellers Below spells finally killed my Grey Seer, and threatened the Leadership of my whole army, but they stuck, and the Skaven ended up with a minor victory in this game. The Hellpit Abom, and my Plague Monks did most of the damage, while my Slaves did a great job tying the rest of the Brets up. I was able to one shot his General with a Warp Lighting Cannon while he was fleeing from a charge from my Plague Monks. It was a clear illustration of a General literally taking a lightning bolt up his ass as he was running away. haha. Awesome game Nathan those knights were tough as nails!

Sean (Wariors of Chaos) - First time playing against WoC. OMG, this was a bloodbath! I lost close to 250 models in this slugfest. Even though I was able to wipe out a whole unit of Forsaken with the 13th spell and turn them into Clanrats, I cast Plague on his big block of warriors and it bounced back to two of my slave units killing over 50 slaves!!!! How could I roll 1 twice in a row?!?! I found that I lost two important tarpits because of this, and his army was quickly breathing down my neck. I was able to bounce back from this by sniping his unit of 4 Juggernauts with my Warp Lightning Cannon and my Doomwheel. They were vaporized off the battlefield before they could enter combat. My Doomwheel also one shotted his Demon Prince who was trying to cast vortexes into my Mage Bunker. As soon as that happened, the game turned back into my favour, and I ended up scoring a massacre. It did not feel like I won a massacre, because of almost 300 rats, I had only like 40 left scattered in various units, barely hanging on! This was probably the most fun game of the weekend, because of how the forest helped kill most of his knights. Of his 7 starting knights, he failed 5 dangerous terrain tests, I killed on Knight in combat, and after he was setting up his final charge with his last knight, my Warp Lightning Cannon shot a Strength 10 into the lone model vaporizing it. Unlucky day for that knight group...

Great weekend, fun games, and I only wish it could have lasted longer so I could have played against Dom and Don! Maybe next time guys!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 am

Definatly an awsome game. I too have never faced Skaven. Was definatly a painful lesson for me. Warp Cannons and Doom wheels need to be taken care of asap lol. Or they punch big holes in my armor. Also my units do NOT like to go through forests, they are a clumsy lot. Was a blood bath Trevor. Blood For The Blood God. GG

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top