Daemons rules review

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Daemons rules review

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:18 pm

I won't comment further on the models, but I picked up the new Daemons book today.

I have to say, they have gone from the most reliable army in the game to one of the least reliable armies.

You can't even choose what upgrades your characters have. You simply buy access to tables of benefits that you roll on before the start of the game, like selecting spells. Daemonic Instability has had a huge change. Double 6's banish the entire unit, double 1's mean they take no wounds, AND all wounds they took that combat phase (including slain models) are replaced.

Every time a Daemons player rolls for the Winds of Magic, some crazy random event happens, based on the total of the dice.

If your General or BSB is from one god, you can't use their benefit on units belonging to other gods. So if your General is Khorne, Tzeentch units can't use his Ld.

Magic is the same as for Warriors, except all the lore attributes are pretty poor. Basically every wound you inflict you get to roll a D6, and on a 5 or 6, you can place a core model back in a unit. Nowhere near as good as Warriors Lore Attributes.

Heralds lost their default locus abilities, but can pick them up for a hefty investment, making Heroes more expensive to fill the same role as the last book. On the other hand Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons are significantly less expensive. The Keeper lost ASF, which is awful.

We'll see the new Skullcannons in every list. Won't see many Flaming Chariots, but Plague Drones are pretty good. Points costs for everything seem decent, although the Skullcannons are a bargain at 135 points - but cannons are always a bargain in this game.

Overall, I think it's a decent update, but it will be interesting to see how all of the random stuff really effects the army. I don't like the Daemons list nearly as much as the new Warriors book, but it's better than the 7th edition book, and all the no-brainer choices are gone.

Nurgle is a beast.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Daemons rules review

Post  nathanr on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:51 pm

That is interesting, I look forward to see how the army acts in a real game. Hopefully the randomness does not take over the game and instead acts more in the background. I'm excited to see more nurgle as nobody but Scott ever took them before.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top