Warriors Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warriors Review

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 pm

So I've had the weekend with the book, and played a bunch of games online with the new Warriors, and I have to say it's probably my favourite book yet. It did something I didn't think was possible - it made Warriors of Chaos interesting to play with and against.

I hate all the new models. Without exception. They're all awful.

Luckily, the rules more than make up for it (and I have a zillion old character models + a ton of BaneLegions/BaneBeasts stuff from before the Maelstrom meltdown).

If you like monsters, you will love Warriors of Chaos. Honestly, I don't see how the list can function without them. They're everywhere. Special choices, Rare choices, Lord choices. Monsters, monsters, monsters!

Expect to see at least one Chimera every game against Warriors. 230 points base, 245 with Regen (4+), and it's a flying S6 monster with 6+D3 attacks. Yes please. The drawback? W4 and Ld5. It's a Special choice, so you could see 3 of these flying Hydras every game.

Core chariots. People might go overboard.

Warriors cheaper, marauders more expensive. Marks on a per-model basis. All is right with the world.

Forsaken are Core now, come with Chaos armour, get a free random ability every combat phase and get D3+1 attacks per model. 20 points seems pretty fair for them. Dead choppy core.

The other big monsters are not great for their points, but could have their uses. Mutalith spell is strange. Slaughterbrute is easy to kill.

Daemon Princes are the biggest baddest daddies in the Warhammer world right now. They'll chop up anything short of a Bloodthirster and ask for seconds. They will murder blender Vamps and ASF Doombulls without breaking a sweat. They'll fly and cast magic while they're doing it. They can get a 1+ armour save or a re-rollable 2+. They are also actually Unbreakable. Not Unstable, not Daemonic Instability, not Stubborn. Literally, truly Unbreakable. If you let them get into combat they will mess you up.

That said, Daemon Princes are faaar from broken. Running nearly 600 points, they are more vulnerable than Greater Daemons since they only have 4 wounds, and aside from Tzeentch, can only access to a 5+ ward. This means that cannons and attacks that ignore armour saves will scare the shit out of them.

Magic lores are all balanced and interesting. Tzeentch is blasty (6 out of 7 spells are Direct Damage or Magic Missiles) but Warpflame rule makes it very strange. The Tz Lore attribute means that for every '6' rolled to cast, the caster gets an extra dice. Nurgle is a lot of buffs and hexes and the Lore attribute has you roll a dice after successfully casting a spell, on a '6' you gain +1W and +1T permanently. Slaanesh is very short ranged with a mix of damage and hexes (Lore attribute = roll a dice for every wound inflicted this phase, gives +1WS, +1A and +1I for each 6 rolled until start of next Warrior Magic phase).

Puppet is gone. 3+ ward save Chosen are gone (Chosen still get a free roll on the Eye of Gods table that applies to the unit, but other rolls only target characters or champions). Marauders are reasonably priced. Warriors are reasonably priced. Monsters are viable and will be common. Daemon Princes are restored to their rightful position in the Old World.

Best book yet? I think so.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warriors Review

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Cool, I look forward to playing against them. Monsters are always fun to play against.

I like that they have lots of options to make many different lists (like they did with the Empire book, Orcs and Goblins etc.), hopefully that is a trend that they continue. Of course there will always be the standard lists that seem to pop up on the internet for the new armies and people will say "this is the obvious choice" and they might be right but I like that there is the option to make a themed chariot list or go all warriors and knights or all mutated monsters etc.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 pm

The internal balance with Warriors seems to be much better than in Empire or Orcs and Goblins.

Chosen are too expensive at 25 points equipped, and the Slaughterbrute and Mutalith are a little underwhelming, but the rest is useable.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm looking forward to the book. Curious as to how my usual build will change. I've never been a real big monster fan but have always wanted to run a deamon prince in a warriors army....well see.....

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Well the list I've been running on UB so far is (something) like this (I keep experimenting):

Daemon Prince with: fly; Mark of Nurgle; Level 4 magic; chaos armour; flaming breath; scaled skin; poisonous slime; Other Trickster's Shard; Soul Feeder; Warrior Bane; Charmed Shield
545 points

Exalted Hereo with: Mark of Tzeentch; BSB; Disc of Tzeentch; Talisman of Preservation; Third Eye of Tzeentch; Enchanted Shield
235 points

16 Forsaken with Mark of Tzeentch

Chariot with Mark of Tzeentch

Chariot with Mark of Tzeentch

5 Dogs with Vanguard

5 Dogs with Vanguard

17 Chosen with: Mark of Nurgle, shields; halberds; full command; Banner of Swiftness

Chimera with Regeneration

Slaughterbrute with extra claws

Spawn with Mark of Tzeentch

Spawn with Mark of Tzeentch

So the Daemon Prince has: WS9; I8; -1 to be hit in close combat; fly, 1+ armour save; 5+ ward; 5 S6 poisoned attacks; you re-roll your ward save; every wound he does reduces your attacks by 1; a s4 flaming breath weapon; regains wounds if he rolls a 6 after inflicting any wound in close combat; and ignores the first hit against him on a 2+. Did I mention he's Unbreakable. He should grind anything to dust. Just killed a Black Dragon and ran down a Dreadlord this evening. Oh and every time he casts a spell, he has a 1 in 6 chance of gaining +1T and +1W forever. Neat.

The BSB flies and has a 1+ armour save, 3+ ward, and re-rolls 1's for his ward save.

Forsaken chop things up. Dogs have Vanguard. Chariots for fun. Chosen are overpriced, but dead hitty - and if you get ANY of the Nurgle buffs on them, they are indestructible. The Chimera and Slaughterbrute are extra threats that are hard to put down in one go. The Spawn have S3 breathweapons. If you don't kill them before they get to attack they'll do an unusual amount of damage to most enemies.

The Slaughterbrute is WS9 Ld9 until (unless?) the Daemon Prince dies, at which point it goes insane. Best to not be around it then, at which point it turns into something like a S7 Mangler Squig.

Quite fun to use.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Using Spawn? Interesting - are they any good?

Carson, you can pretty much keep using your old list - you just won't like it. Lots of cool new stuff.

I think I'm leaning towards Eric's view of the models. I still like them, but not as much as I did and a couple I almost think are silly. Whew - Dodged a bullet! Have to wait and see the Daemons next month. Hastings said the models are nicer than the Warriors.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 am

Spawn are terrible.

70 points for 3 wounds with no save is terrible.

But a breath weapon on a 'cheap' redirector is fun, and it gives me more useless deployment drops.

The idea is to have enough drops to hide from the cannons. Sometimes it works.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top