The battle at Tor Yvresse

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The battle at Tor Yvresse

Post  Mhael on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 pm

In 2420 large bands of orcs and goblins roamed the country causing havoc everywhere they went. No waggh was ever so devastating as that of Grom the Paunch of the Broken axe tribe. Grom banded together a huge army of grobi-kind and razed the lands of men and Dwarfs. Being bold Grom then boarded ships and set sail for Ulthuan where his conquest over the elves continues. Our fight takes us to Tor Yvresse where the scattered elf captains try to organize and defend their beseiged city until the great captain Eltharion returns from war with the dark elves of Naggaroth. As the elves prepare war drums and horns can be heard through the thick blanket of mist and smoke.

This game will be a six turn pitched battle with a fog of war deployment. Each side consists of an army general with a 2500 pt list. The elves will be led by Eltharion and the grobi by Grom. No other special characters. To represent the nearly broken elf captains and the many tribes that have flocked to Grom's banner, all other participants will make a 1500 pt list. All friendly units may use their general's inspiring presence (range 18) and bsb or if out of range their own brigades captains presence (range 12). Only one reroll if close enough to both bsbs will be allowed.

The elves will receive first turn but Eltharion and two units may not enter table edge until turn two to represent the return from Naggaroth (also due to Eltharion's hatred of his dark cousins no dark elf armies are permitted) In addition each side will receive 1000 pts of free rare choices. The grobi will also receive an orc catapult and the elves a defended wall.

Magic will be a cumulative pool. Roll 4 d6 casters get the 2 highest dice dispellers get the middle 2 and all channelling dice are valid but can only be used by the caster. All dispell dice are community. No duplicate magic items, treat them as relics (run your list by the army general to confirm). Only the generals army may take scrolls up to two (this should help balance our turn phases and encourage close combat) let's cap the magic dice at 16.

Winner of the contest will be decided by victory points. One for every 1000pts of dead troops. One point for killing each captain and three for killing the general in combat (five if the opposing general gets the kill). There will also be five terrain objectives that the controlling side will receive 2 pts each for. A complete anhilation will be a total of 31 points. I have special rules for terrain pieces that will be revealed at game time but the features are a defended wall, an orc catapult, an elven waystone, a ruined wall, and an idol to mork or possibly gork.

The team generals are Carson as Grom and Nathan as Eltharion. Anyone who hasn't signed up and wants to participate please do so. If you don't have an army contact your preffered general and we should be able to accomodate some troops for you. Anyone who wants to check out this mega-battle come down to the den Feb 23rd doors open at 10 30 and game starts at 11.

Last edited by Mhael on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The battle at Tor Yvresse

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 pm

EPIC... Just... EPIC...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 pm

I just sent a pm to Andre asking just these questions.....so sounds excellent, can't wait....Grom vows to strike down the stinky Elf and consume him before the battle is over. Oh yes he will Twisted Evil

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 am

And that exactly how stupid Greenskins are. For goodness sake, you fear us Elves! ....well, at least the little ones do.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:31 am

I don't think they do if Grom is in the army.

There may be a few rule questions as people are making their lists. One question I have is what is the maximum number of Power/Dispel dice? The High elves have access to the banner of Sorcery which adds D3 power dice to the pool. Are items like this allowed in multiple numbers or should we limit them to one per side? Also, how many dispel scrolls are allowed? Magic and magic items are often an issue with megabattles and can sometimes result in over-powered combinations so I'd like to address some of these issues up front before gametime.

Last edited by nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 am

Check. Kill Grom.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 am

Luckily, Eltharion is well-suited to take him on in close combat.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 am

Yes Grom's grobi are so inspired by his fearlessness that they have also overcome their fear. Death to the elgi!

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 am

nathanr wrote:I don't think they do if Grom is in the army.

There may be a few rule questions as people are making their lists. One question I have is what is the maximum number of Power/Dispel dice? The High elves have access to the banner of Sorcery which adds D3 power dice to the pool. Are items like this allowed in multiple numbers or should we limit them to one per side? Also, how many dispel scrolls are allowed? Magic and magic items are often an issue with megabattles and can sometimes result in over-powered combinations so I'd like to address some of these issues up front before gametime.

I think we should take 6 Banners of Sorcery and just spam Flames of the Phoenix. After that, the few Gobbo's that are left we just bonk on the head and we're back home before supper!

In the interest of a cool battle, and to lessen the annoyance of multiple Dispel scrolls, we should just limit to one item per side. This certainly needs coordinating though.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 am

Also, can I post a picture of the map? It seems only fair that the Goblin side gets to see it as well so they can make their plans. The only thing it doesn't have is the location of the idol of Mork or Possibly Gork (which hopefully someone is making?)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

I will get an idol of mork or possibly gork which will be situated on top of the hill in the grobi right flank opposing the elf gate. I tried to get your table layout up here but am computer-stupid

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 am

Here's the map:

I ran out of styrofoam before I could build that small hill opposite the elven gate but I'll figure something out so that it is still there. If nothing else I have a multi-layer hill that we can use or we can use one of the ones from the Den.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

So far I have team Grobi Carson, Scott, Geoff, Darren, ddodge,the apothecary and myself. Team Elgi is Nathanr, Don, Dom, Eric, Trevor, Zach, and kickingkats if I forgot anyone apologies. Also could I get a volunteer for pictures and battle report (I just have my cell camera). Is there interest in pre-battle breakfast?

Last edited by Mhael on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 am

kickingkats has yet to play a game. He better get his butt in gear to learn the rules fast...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Frank is bringing 1500 points of Squigs and I have 3 bolt throwers to put towards the 1000 rare if needed.

I very much would like breakfast first. Best time to make fun of Goblin players.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 pm

The time of man (and stinky Elf) is at an end, a new power has arisen.............

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:22 pm

...and I have 3 bolt throwers to put towards the 1000 rare if needed

SHHHH, check your e-mail Don!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:33 pm

In case everyone missed it DON HAS 3 BOLTTHROWERS. Haha pointy ears

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:41 pm

I didn't get an email. And I was just kidding about the bolt throwers. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Hmm, I sent one to you and Trevor as those are the only e-mail addresses I have for the elf team (that is a subtle hint to PM me your e-mail addresses).

Check your junk folder as I sent it with an attachment and to multiple recipients, that would probably be enough to give most spam filters a heart attack. If you really didn't get it I'll try again.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:06 pm

I just went and looked. Got it at 1:02. Posted here without reading it, but to come to my defence, even stupid Goblins (and stupid Goblin players) know we only have big birds or stick flingers. I just thought I'd mention I have 3 on my shelf.

Ill make my list tonight, and offer goblin players a list of our forces and tactics for $50?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Better make it $100, as the Elf general I want a cut.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am

This is the rules governing our 5 main pieces of terrain
Defended wall
Toughness 10 wounds 10 grants hard cover and has a 1+ armor save
Template shooting causes d6 hits to anything directly under the hole.
If wall is defended models on the wall may throw stones on attackers. This will be a range 6" thrown weapon at users strength with quick to fire.
Chargers may make attacks against either the wall or units on top. Attacks made against wall automatically hit. For every wound the wall takes after 5 it loses one toughness to represent its weakened state. If the wall is reduced to zero it becomes a ruined wall and all units touching it take d6 strength 5 hits. Attacks made against defenders are at -2 to hit to represent the attempts at scaling the wall. Units with wall crawler ability do not suffer and giants being taller only suffer -1 to hit and may not make stomps. Units charging up wall must add 3" for vertical distance to their charge distance.
Combat resolution is based without ranks as there would only be a press of bodies against a solid obstacle. If the defenders win the chargers will be pushed back 1" if they fail their leadership test. If the test is passed they remain in combat. If the chargers win both remain in combat. The elves refuse to flee their wall and will defend it unto death. If the Grobi take control they do not benefit from this fight or die reaction and a subsequent combat could cause them to lose their hold and be thrown back 1". The elves having access to ramparts and stairs would only suffer -1 to hit modifiers in subsequent combats.
Point will be awarded for unit strength in base contact of wall or if no units for destruction/integrity of wall at game end

Ruined wall
Grants hard cover and -1 to hit modifier for chargers in first round of combat except wall crawlers. Point awarded for unit strength in base contact at game end.

Elven Waystone
Any wizard within 6" adds +1 to channel attempts. Elven units within 6" gain a 6+ ward save. Point awarded for unit strength within 6" at game end.

Orc Catapult
Stone thrower small template strength 4/8 causes d6 wounds under the hole. Range 12-60". Crewed by 5 orcs. Points for destruction/integrity at game end. A roll of 1 on misfire chart acts as if a 2 or 3 were rolled instead.

Grom's Idol to Mork or possibly Gork
Greenskins units within 6" are whipped into a Frenzy and thus gain frenzy. Shamans within 6" add plus 3 to casting attempts. Point scored for unit strength within 6" at game end.

If anyone notices something I may have overlooked or has scenario questions about terrain let's hash them out before game time.

Last edited by Mhael on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 pm

I am going to call February 5th as last day to sign up for our megabattle

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Mhael wrote:Template shooting causes d6 hits

This is referring to units on the wall correct? For example, a stone thrower lands on the wall which has a unit on top. The unit takes D6 hits (at the lower strength) and the wall itself takes a hit as well (with the higher strength value if the hole is centered on the wall or the lower value if it is a glancing blow).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top