Recruting new players.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Recruting new players.

Post  Pud on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 pm

i have an extra book for Lizards and would be willing to leave 2000 points worth at the den for 1500 point games. Third Fridays each month kind of thing for a mini tourney, smaller numbers or tag team matches and of course mini maga battles. and painting would be best for winters, leave it for when peoples want to hunker down and keep inside.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm

more smaller informal tournaments did work very well in the past. alot of players were brought in that way......but they just never stayed. More visibility at the den is also a must to bring in new players. When the league was really large there was always someone down at the den throwing dice.

The problem that has always faced the fantasy group is apathey and the fear that most game nerds have in venturing out away from thier present groups. What can a guy do about apathey...nothing really. Having run alot of events it always stuns me how people can profess to love a hobby, spend tons of doe on it and then "sleep in" or countless other excuses used when something for that hobby is going down.

fear, thatcan be dealt with by having introductory events but these need to be schedualed on a regualr basis. The 1250pt intro tournaments you refered to Nathan were run that way, always brought in alot of players and generally worked well. I've been trying to keep the veterans xcited about the game with the masters series so it would be great if someone else was willing to take something like this on.

Another issue that needs to be raised is to be more proactive with people that often come to watch the game, mention they have warhammer stuff, and then wander off. We need to take the time to talk, introduce ourselves, get contact info and invite them out for events.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:00 am

Lets try to reinstate regular Friday night tournaments then.  If we manage to bring out a bunch of new people and one or two become league regulars then we are ahead.  If nothing else we should get more attendance at the masters tournaments.  I don't think we'll be able to do it every month but we should be able to figure some sort of regular-ish schedule out.

I'll run the first one and as soon as I figure out a Froday that works I'll post something.  Let me know if there are any Friday evenings in June and July that work or don't work for you.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 am

Damn curse being in MJ

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:12 am

To be honest i think our problem lies with our regular players here in Saskatoon. I don't think that our regulars play enough games to promote our hobby to new comers. if we
start playing regular games it might help, i have no problem setting aside Thursday and or Friday nights for games and even then my number is on this site if anyone wants a game at another time during the week, chances are that im not doing anything.

Its also difficult to get new players to get in to the hobby if they see the people who are in to it as big scary foes with these fantastic looking armies and they feel that they have to create something of similar fashion, i know that was a difficult part of getting in to the hobby for my self, also part of the reason why i started with TK ... skeletons can be ridiculously easy to paint to an "okay" standard.

This being said i am available all day today for games cause of the rain and can even get some games in tomorrow morning if people want to ... heck even if some MJ boys or Carson would like a game(or a few) that could defiantly be arranged.

we cant just talk the talk we got to walk the walk. Nathan if you want i could run some of the 1250 point games, those were also some of my first games played at those events and i found them to be a great learning experience

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:18 am

I totally agree with you Dom, and I'll definitely take you up on your offer to run some of the Friday night tournaments.  I've sent an e-mail to Darren at the Den so hopefully we'll have a date for the first one soon.  When we do I'll post it in the appropriate thread.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Every other month for a friday night tournament would be workable I believe. I find smaller point games to be alot of fun and they definitly look more appealing to new players. Advertisment at the den and in Regina is also key (I fail at this miserably).

Every league I say I'm gonna play more games...but don't. I really have to make an effort to come in on regular intervals. Thats my new years resolution....starting now! That being said.....I know the drive sucks but anyone wanting to play, have a meal etc, don't be afraid to call. I can make anything work in the late afternoons. This weekend I'm stuck at home with the kids as the wife is out and about.

Something I've been wondering about is the league fee. Maybe we should raise it to 10$ in order to have something actually worth striving for. When the league was big there was actually big dollars fought over. Not sure if its a good idea or not but thought I'd throw it out.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Kuyp
To be honest i think our problem lies with our regular players here in Saskatoon. I don't think that our regulars play enough games to promote our hobby to new comers.

This.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I think that raising the league fee would be both good and bad.  Good because it would give the league champion a prize worthy of the title but bad because it is hard enough at $5 to get everyone to pay, raising it to $10 seems like it would be more of a deterrent to be in the league.  I'm thinking that we should just do away with the prize for second place.  Make it winner take all.

I'll make the trip out for a few games sometime this summer Carson, I know how hard it is for me to find time to play a game and I live in Saskatoon.  I can only imagine adding a long drive to that.

Trevor, are you still playing warhammer or have you gone full flames of war?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:30 pm

I play less of everything in the summer, and I have D&D, FoW, Warhammer, wife, Yardwork, etc. all vying for time.  All my gaming slows down in the summer.  Right now, I am playing less Warhammer, but I am definitely not out.  As it is, I have only played FoW once every 2 weeks so far, but I am currently giving it priority because I am trying to learn the rules. 

Will play more when winter comes again, and will still pick up the odd game here and there during summer.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 pm

I hear you, this summer is crazy busy for me too.  Just make sure you and Darren get that playoff game in!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:38 pm

I forfeited the game to keep things moving, because I am too busy to play in the playoffs right now.  He is moving on to the next round.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 pm

The two sweetest words in the English language: De Fault!  Ok Darren, you made it past the skaven, now you just have to take down the Elves and you're into the finals!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top