Recruting new players.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Recruting new players.

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 am

nathanr wrote:My feelings aren't hurt, I have no delusions of being a professional graphic designer!

Just making sure everyone's ok. You know how much I worry about other peoples feelings. Very Happy

I'd chip in also.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 am

yep, get a price and we'll make it work

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am

My mom is an office manager in a print shop in town here, and gave me a few contacts she knows very well and has dealt with for quite a while. There is one company in particular she recommends and gave me the owner's name. I should be able to get a very good price and get it done.

I will post a final graphic for you all to review before I bring him the hi res PSD file for printing. What are the dimensions of the Banner we need to print? Carson, did Darren tell you how much wall space he is giving us? Should we print a small banner and a large one? Should we print 2 banners?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 am

I'd say you should talk with Darren before printing it to see exactly where it will be going, plus it might help light a fire under his ass to start getting the trophy done and on display.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 am

Apparently Carson talked to Darren and he's pretty pumped about getting this started.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:04 am

Okay I will communicate with Darren and get this info.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Banner is to be 2' x 6'. Working on pricing now.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:36 pm

I talked with Darren today and he'd be ok with us creating a display for the case at the front. I didn't ask if the den would pay for an island of blood set but even if not I don't think it would be too expensive to get the minis on eBay. The real challenge would be painting them to a high quality and creating a suitable display.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Rather than a lofty goal of a display or anything I think perhaps creating a unit of mini's might work. It's less hassle, all inclusive too.

I thought of doing this way back when but the idea would be ofr everyone so inclined to paint up a mini or two on a 25mm base for a new regiment of renown called "the Ravening Horde". It could be used for mega battles letting the side that one last time use it. Special rules could be done up for it, special characters and rules based on league championship etc. also.

A nice banner for the unit advertising it as the Ravening Hordes in 28mm scale could be a nice sharp addition too. I'd contribute a mini or two to the cause. \

Just a thought.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm

I love that idea Scott, Could be any figs really, just mount them all on 25mm bases. A real Mercenary warband known as the ravening hordes.......awesome.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 am

Well it pays off to know people...

I just spoke with Kota Graphics. Because of my mom, he is giving me wholesale pricing on the banner. It will only cost us $72 + tax to print a 2'x6' banner on VINYL. He is adding eyelets to allow for easy hanging at no extra charge.

It will take 2 days to print, and the file resolution I have he said will come out great. I just need to find time to head out to the industrial area during the day with a flash drive, and it will be as good as done!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:19 am

Sounds great Trevor! I work near there so I could drop off the flash drive if you can get it to me, it would save you a trip if you'd like.

Scott, I love that idea too. I've got several Avatars of War minis and other random characters that I could throw in as well, we might even be able to make 2 units, one made up of "good" minis and one made up of "evil" ones.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

What if we each painted a character fig that represents yourself? Pick any fig that will fit on a 25mm and that's "you".

Or we could pick for each other.....Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 pm

I luvs the idea, lets do this....

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:05 pm

As this idea has taken off I'll start a new thread for it so that this one can continue with more ideas related to encouraging growth in the league.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 am

Update:

I am printing a 2' x 6' banner, and a 1' x 3' banner because it is so cheap. The banners should be done by the end of the day today for pickup. I think the 1'x3' would be perfect for the middle island display case.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Banners are done. They did a great job.
Very Happy

I can bring them to the Den tomorrow to be hung up by Darren. Maybe they can be up before the 40k tournament? Shocked

Or do you guys want me to keep them here so you all can see them on Saturday?

*EDIT* The total cost of both banners was $99 on the nose with taxes. He practically gave me the second banner for almost nothing.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:05 am

What does that break down to per person?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 am

I'd say get the big one hung and keep the small one for us to look at. Then we can decide what to do with it. It may end up travelling with members of the league if they go to out of town events (Adepticon), or get hung up in the back room when we are running tournaments or events etc.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:08 am

What does that break down to per person?
Depends on how many people are donating to cover costs.

I'd say get the big one hung and keep the small one for us to look at. Then we can decide what to do with it. It may end up travelling with members of the league if they go to out of town events (Adepticon), or get hung up in the back room when we are running tournaments or events etc.
FYI. Darren said he would either hang it up in the back, or by where the boxed miniatures are if we gave it to him.

He also said he would consider buying a 40k one if this works out.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:45 pm

I dropped of the big Banner at the Den and spoke with Darren. He is going to pick up the full cost of the banners. I just need to bring him the invoice. Also he said he should have the banner hung by the end of the day today.

As directed, I kept the smaller banner.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Wow, that's cool. Have to buy Darren a coffee with Carson's money the next time I'm up.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread so that we can keep thinking of new ways to introduce new players to the game and entice old veterans to come back.  I'll start it out with a few ideas:

1. This hobby is expensive for newcomers.  It is daunting to consider spending $400+ to get enough figures to be able to play a game that you don't even know if you like.  What if we put together a few armies that could be loaned out to new players?  We could keep them in a lockable case at the Den and give Darren the key.  I know many of us have a few boxes of unused minis laying around, for not much work we could assemble a couple fairly generic armies, say orcs and empire that could be used to introduce players to the game.

2. Have more events and game days at Dragon's Den.  Don't get me wrong, I love going to you guys' houses for games days and I don't want that to stop but if we could have more games being played at the Den it would show other people that there is an active Warhammer community in the city and it is much less intimidating for someone new to play at a neutral location than at somebody's home, no matter how accommodating that person is.

3. Paint days.  Scott may never pick up dice in anger again but that doesn't mean we can't learn some of his painting tricks!  I would love to have several paint days a year, as it is a huge part of the hobby and an area that I'd love to get better at.  Plus it is just more fun to paint with other people than by myself.

4. Introductory nights and Friday night tournaments.  I got into this hobby as a result of the old 1250 point tournaments that used to be held several times a year on Friday night at the Den.  I'd love to have those become a reality again.

5. Out of town tournaments.  I have never traveled for a tournament and I don't know if I'll ever be able to find the time to do it but if people from the Saskatoon league go to out of town tournaments then more people from out of town will come to our's.  Having out-of-towners at our tournaments could pose new challenges for us (sportsmanship scores might actually be required) but I think it would ultimately be a good thing.  In addition, we should start aggressively advertising our big tournaments on other community forums, facebook groups etc. (or at least find out what those forums are).  Advertising our tournaments outside of this forum with posters and such may also help bring in some of the local players who may not spend much time on this particular forum.

I talk a big game but I don't have enough spare time to do much of this stuff.  I can make posters to advertise tournaments, and possibly organize a Friday night tournament or two.  It is easy to maintain what we have but if we all put in a little effort I think we can grow this community a lot.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm

nathanr wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread so that we can keep thinking of new ways to introduce new players to the game and entice old veterans to come back.  I'll start it out with a few ideas:

1. This hobby is expensive for newcomers.  It is daunting to consider spending $400+ to get enough figures to be able to play a game that you don't even know if you like.  What if we put together a few armies that could be loaned out to new players?  We could keep them in a lockable case at the Den and give Darren the key.  I know many of us have a few boxes of unused minis laying around, for not much work we could assemble a couple fairly generic armies, say orcs and empire that could be used to introduce players to the game.

2. Have more events and game days at Dragon's Den.  Don't get me wrong, I love going to you guys' houses for games days and I don't want that to stop but if we could have more games being played at the Den it would show other people that there is an active Warhammer community in the city and it is much less intimidating for someone new to play at a neutral location than at somebody's home, no matter how accommodating that person is.

3. Paint days.  Scott may never pick up dice in anger again but that doesn't mean we can't learn some of his painting tricks!  I would love to have several paint days a year, as it is a huge part of the hobby and an area that I'd love to get better at.  Plus it is just more fun to paint with other people than by myself.

4. Introductory nights and Friday night tournaments.  I got into this hobby as a result of the old 1250 point tournaments that used to be held several times a year on Friday night at the Den.  I'd love to have those become a reality again.

5. Out of town tournaments.  I have never traveled for a tournament and I don't know if I'll ever be able to find the time to do it but if people from the Saskatoon league go to out of town tournaments then more people from out of town will come to our's.  Having out-of-towners at our tournaments could pose new challenges for us (sportsmanship scores might actually be required) but I think it would ultimately be a good thing.  In addition, we should start aggressively advertising our big tournaments on other community forums, facebook groups etc. (or at least find out what those forums are).  Advertising our tournaments outside of this forum with posters and such may also help bring in some of the local players who may not spend much time on this particular forum.

I talk a big game but I don't have enough spare time to do much of this stuff.  I can make posters to advertise tournaments, and possibly organize a Friday night tournament or two.  It is easy to maintain what we have but if we all put in a little effort I think we can grow this community a lot.

I agree about point number 3.  I even bought a portable lamp for doing some painting outside of my dungeon.  Summer is tough as it's golf season but later in the year it isn't so bad.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:25 pm

More people is always a good idea. I kinda like the idea about a loaner army. Can give people a chance to give the game a try. Droppin money on a beastman army right off the start was deffinatly scarry. Love the game 100% so im glad i did. Id be willing to chip in some models for those armys and build em. But not painting Razz

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top