Recruting new players.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recruting new players.

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 am

I was thinking about this. If we created a full color banner which could be placed where Darren sells all the Warhammer Fantasy minis, that promoted our group and league, it might help to attract new players.

When I was first deciding to get into Warhammer Fantasy, the biggest hurdle for me was whether or not there were other people playing it, and whether they were active. Also I am a little shy so how can I ease my way into the group and ask questions comfortably.

I think we could advertise the website on a beautiful banner, and like some nice picture and slogan on it. You can actually get 4x6 foot banners printed on vinyl for only around $100 and Darren might pitch in a little for it, as new players mean more sales.

We currently play too sporadically, there is no advertised league night, so there is no visible activity to pull others into this hobby. Playing randomly unannounced at the Den doesn't bring in new players.

I am new to the group, so I thought I would throw this out there for some of you long term players to see what you think about this idea or if you have any others. Or to see if anyone cares. Wink

Anyone interested in starting a recruitment drive?

Example of cost

Last edited by Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Recruting new players.

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 am

That is a great idea. We need to have our league trophy updated and should be placed in the front of the store with our club banner over it. Right now it sits in the back room covered with dust and many people in the city are not even aware of our club. I'm gonna take it upon myself to phone darren and see if this is possible.

We used to have a regular league night back in the day but these days with everyones busy schedule it is really hard for most of us to make a regular day. Speaking strictly for myself, its very difficult to make an evening event as I'm 2 hr's out of the city and have kids to keep me tied down as well. Days are much easier for me. My new years commitment is to really get back into playing more, every 2nd saturday is what I'm aiming for starting on the 12th.

Another idea that Don and myself have been rolling around is to host a large 2 day tournament such as the death or glory tournaments from a number of years back. Its about time that Saskatoon held a tournament that attracted out of town players again. 2 days, 6 games, huge prizes, 30+ players.....that sort of thing.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 am

I am definitely in favor of adding players. I made up a small poster at the start of last league and this one with tear-off tabs with the forum website on them, and had Darren put it up in the Den. I also ran an introductory night last league with some success. A league night is an awesome idea and I think it is exactly what is needed to add people to the league. The only problem is finding a night that regularly works for everyone and that is the reason we don't have a regular league night.

With that said, I think with Don making bi-weekly visits that gives us a built-in league day. If we all make the effort to get out and play games, especially on those Saturdays, we can start gaining some interest from potential players and grow the league. A banner sounds like an excellent idea as well, I could chip in some money and my photoshop/illustrator resources to make it happen. I think we have a great group here and I'd love to see it grow.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:47 am

This is great!

When I first started playing Confrontation, there were only 3 of us. I started a Wednesday night league, aggresively advertised the group, and within a couple of months, suddenly there were 12 players. Some of the players that joined had no idea we had a league, and there were a few of them just playing against each other regularly. It is like we joined the mini groups together. Some had 2 year old armies, and dusted them off to play.

I think all we have to do is make our group known, show we are active, and people will come. I can play nearly any evening during the week and weekends during the day except for Thursday nights, and Saturday nights, and would be more than willing to let a new player beat the crap out of my Wood Elves and walk them through games.

Most people who are shy and are interested generally look at when a league night is on, show up and observe. When they feel confident enough, or you look friendly enough, they will approach you and ask you questions. I know this, because that is how I started into miniature gaming as a whole. I never painted a fig before 2004, was scared to, and had lots of questions. Never played a miniature wargame before that. Now I can't imagine not playing one. I love the hobby, and to be honest, I really love Warhammer Fantasy, the fluff and the different army selections.

I am already trying to convince a few of my friends to start a few small armies.

I also think if the league point cost were dropped down to 1750 or 2000 it would help mitigate the cost of getting into our league. We can always play 2500 or 3000 point games in 'for fun' games. We don't always have to play league games. Warhammer is the most expensive miniature line out there. We need to reduce the sticker shock as much as possible. Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Another idea that Don and myself have been rolling around is to host a large 2 day tournament such as the death or glory tournaments from a number of years back. Its about time that Saskatoon held a tournament that attracted out of town players again. 2 days, 6 games, huge prizes, 30+ players.....that sort of thing.

I agree wholeheartedly! I wish we could do something like this and I think it is totally possible especially if we can grow our league first. Regular gaming events are essential to bring out players. For me personally, it was easier to attend a tournament than join the league at first since there were so many people and I felt like I could sorta just blend in. Plus it helped me get to know the guys in the league better and I realized that my closeted nerdy hobby was shared by some pretty stand-up guys. I'm hoping that the mega-battle in March will bring in some interest, I'd like to discuss some ideas and figure out some plans on the 12th.

Other than that, a regular-ish hobby day like we will have on the 12th might be a good draw for the more paint-oriented hobbyists. heck, we could even expand it to include the 40K guys if we want. I have a lot of the same time-problems as Carson, working and 2 young children but I will do my best to make it for the game days/nights and tournaments as often as I can.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't think everyone has to play on every League day/night.

Even if there are only 2 players playing on a League day/night at least there are two people there to help answer someone's questions, and show how friendly we are and how fun the game is. Some people may only be able to make it out once every two weeks, others can make it out every week. We need some regulars who tend to always show up. I can be one of those regulars, but I need an opponent!

It needs to be advertised that it starts at a certain time, and at least 2 people need to show up!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:19 pm

I could be wrong but can't league games be played at any point value?

Just last night I had 2 new guys playing at my house, with Frank and I. They both have WoC armies and I got crushed playing against Kelly so now he's really pumped about the hobby. Very Happy When I come up every second weekend, it looks like I may bring three others to join (Frank, Kelly, Sean). I know of around 6 guys in Regina that play regularly in the Regina league (which needs some tweaking IMO). My goal is to have enough players to support a larger event. We (Dean Dodge and I) went from 6 guys to 14 in just one year for the Fragcon event and I sincerely believe that we could double that for this coming year.

I had a goal to try to attend more events this year, but they're all so far away. Carson and I were talking and figured we could start larger events around Regina and Saskatoon. The Fragcon will grow, Toon con, etc and it's reasonable to assume that Leagues and events feed off of one another.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 am

League games can be at any point level. When playoffs come around the points are fixed at 2500 and lists can't change from one playoff game to another.

If I am making a banner, what should I put on it and how big should it be?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 am

Here is my opinion for what it is worth (wording can change, this is just a first stab):

1) insert a cool Warhammer Fantasy picture that bleeds Warhammer (Needs to really illustrate Warhammer Fantasy and not be mistaken with 40k),
2) As the main text on the banner: "Ravening Hordes Saskatoon Division",
3) smaller but very visible at bottom of banner: "Information for New Players, League and Tournaments at http://raveninghordes.forumakers.com"

If you need any help with this or want any feedback or want to bounce ideas of someone, I used to commercially do design, digital painting, illustration, etc, using photoshop, illustrator, standard inks, pencils, etc. I used to sell commission works online.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 am

Ok sounds good, I can do up some drafts and post them here but I only dabble in photoshop and illustrator so if you want to do the banner feel free, it sounds like you are far more qualified!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:09 pm

I know you are busy with the terrain for the upcoming event. Once I am finished my Doomwheel I could whip something up.

It doesn't take me long to do this type of stuff. I have some ideas. I will post something up tomorrow night or Wednesday for you all to look at.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Here's something I whipped up:

Is this the sort of thing that we want?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:56 pm

All graphics used have to be hi res so it will not print pixelly (i.e. Warhammer Logo pixelation). You are on the right track here. I have the font at home that Warhammer uses (Caslon Antique), and know how to make that logo effect so it can be printed cleaner. When you blow things up bigger, it exaggerates any pixelation you have.

The banner needs to also be long and narrow so it takes up less vertical wall space.

I will take a shot at it tomorrow when I am done my Doomwheel. Then you guys an tear it apart and criticize it. Request modifications, etc...
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:27 pm

I like that banner alot Nathan.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:24 am

Just whipped this up before work.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:54 am

Looks good! I contacted Darren with the names that need to be added to the trophy, hopefully we can get everything put together and on display at the den relatively soon. One other thought that I had is that we should really get some stuff put in the display case in the window that would get people interested in Fantasy. Some sort of a diorama or two small armies facing off against one another with some interesting terrain. Maybe paint up an island of blood set or something. I could talk to Darren and see if we could get a shelf in there dedicated to Fantasy.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 pm

I like that idea Nathan, but I would want our club name on the display. Maybe we could pull darrens arm to donate a box set that he could keep for display but our club would paint.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 pm

That sounds like it would require some sort of series of "painting days" Wink

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Any other feedback on the banners? Changes? Other ideas? Font changes? Colors? Don't like it? Good to go?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:50 pm

i like both, the orc screaming is cool. so if i had to choose one it would be the second

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am

I think the area behind the text should be a bit darker and muted so the text pops a bit more. It doesn't need to be a lot, just a shade or two darker. Other than that I like it, I'd say get it printed unless there are other suggestions.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 am

You have my approval. In Nathan's defense, he did just whip something up to get the juices flowing.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 am

My feelings aren't hurt, I have no delusions of being a professional graphic designer!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 am

I don't know how we do this, but if we were able to get a banner made and hung PRIOR to the battle next month, I think it would help with promotion. How is this going to work? Is Darren going to get it made with our artwork? Do we have to do that leg work and upfront the cost?

How does the next step work?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:26 am

I would guess that if we want it done quickly we are going to need to do it ourselves. I can chip in $20.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top