January 12 - Painting and games at Nathan's

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

January 12 - Painting and games at Nathan's

Post  nathanr on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:11 pm

I am going to host a paint day at my place, starting at 10 and going into the night as late as people want. I have room for one table if people want to play games too. I have room for probably around 7 or 8 people so if there are more that want to attend we may need to switch the location.

If people would rather just play games then we'll need a different location as well since I only have 1 table and no room for more.

Edit:

Here's what I've got planned for the day:

- I'll have tables and such set up and ready to go by 10:00 am so y'all can show up anytime starting at 10.
- Painting/visiting/one active warhammer table all day and into the night.
- I have 2 beds and a couch available if anyone needs to spend the night.
- BYOB, I'll try to have some generic beer (Coors or some such thing) on hand so if you want anything more exotic you'll have to bring it yourself. I'll also have a varied selection of pop on hand.
- I am taking requests for snack ideas, I'll get a meat and cheese tray and some buns for lunch and we can order or make pizza for supper.
-Bring your own brushes and paint (and any other paraphernalia you might need). I have 3 lamps that I can lend out.

Here are the people that have said they will attend:
Trevor
Don
Carson
Scott (if he can find a babysitter)
Andre
Darren

Last edited by nathanr on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 12 - Painting and games at Nathan's

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm

I probably won't be painting yet. I will be in assembly mode... Lots of filing, gluing, basing and sprue cutting. So painful...
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Wanted to be a part of this but the wife is in Vegas that weekend.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:48 am

That sucks Scott, I was hoping you'd be able to make it. Hopefully this is something that works and we'll make it a somewhat regular event.

Trevor, assembly is allowed but at the rate you've been going you should be ready to do up some test models by the 12th!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 am

You might be right! Shocked

I expect to have a Clanrat box, and all the Island of Blood Skavens assembled in the next couple of days... They will be calling for me to paint them. I expect to have 20 of them totally done by next Monday!

I've actually flip flopped on my idea of albino rats after reading the Skaven Heraldry book and lore. It just so happens, that an all albino army, would go totally against all the Skaven fluff... I would have to rewrite history, or make a story that is totally off the wall to make it work.

I am now contemplating doing a combination of Clan Septik and Clan Pestilence paint scheme, and working on a more pestilency type Skaven army with lighter colored robes... I was thinking of making my heroes white rats, and aboms white albinos. This would be more true to the fluff. If I am not ready to paint, it is likely because I am indecisive. heh heh.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:59 pm

I made a Bretonnian army out of all Chaos figs. There are no rules. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:21 pm

squalie wrote:I made a Bretonnian army out of all Chaos figs. There are no rules. Very Happy

Don, you broke Warhammer... Shocked

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm

Yeah, grey and white are kind of important in the Skaven background.

Nothing to say you can't do it. It would just be like having all your Nurgle warriors painted red, and all your Khorne warriors painted green.

Paint is paint.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Maybe I'll see about getting a sitter Nathan.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 pm

That would be great if you can Scott! Hopefully there will be some more interest from some of the other guys (hint hint) but even if there's not, I'll make sure I have plenty of beer in the fridge and crappy movies on the tv, I find those make painting way more enjoyable.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 am

squalie wrote:We should invade someones home and have a painting day. Share tips, laugh at peoples figs, etc.

Carson wrote:We really should have a paint day. getting good results for tabletop painting is really all about technique and knowing the "tricks" of the trade.

Still waiting to hear from you guys about this, my wife is taking the kids and leaving town for the weekend so I'm going to be home painting anyway. You determine whether or not I'm naked while I'm doing it! If this isn't something that people want to do then you won't hurt my feelings by saying so.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 pm

I really wanty to do it. And in addition to this one I think planning for another one in advance is the way to go as well. Maybe we should bring back the ole' painting challenge or something else to help people get it goin'?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:07 pm

I've been watching this thread closely. My daughter and I have an appointment in Regina with SGI as her awesome driving skills got her in an accident. BUT, I've asked that she holds off on the appointment so she can keep driving the car.

If I don't have to make that appointment I'm going to be there. I was interested in this as I'd like some ideas on colours for the Chaos Bretonnians.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:21 pm

I play Pathfinder on Thursday and Saturday evenings. If I come I could only stay for the afternoon.

Not sure if I could paint anywhere else except my home set up. My eyes are getting old, and I need a lot of light and my mag visor. Would have to bring stuffs like a paint cup, brushes, paints, washes, wet palette.

Never actually painted at a remote location before, only ever at home. It is possible that my army will be already assembled by then, but it is hard to say. Depends on distractions. I likely would be assembly line painting at that time, unless I brought a hero.

But I would love to hang out with you all and chat at the least for a while. I would like to get to know you all a bit better.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Trevor I have a pretty elaborate painting set up as well. I actually invested in a mobile lamp to take with me and I have managed to pair everything down so I can fit it in a gym bag. It's doable.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:06 pm

I'd like to make it in for this as well. Just not sure at this point ifs it doable.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Actually come to think of it, my lamps are all mobile too. They attach to a table edge using a plastic vice. I am probably just nervous about painting in front of others; especially if they are going to be naked... Shocked

Maybe I will assemble, prime and bring my Skaven BSB to paint. I was going to kit bash him first because I was considering giving him a bigger banner to try make him more unique and stand out more in the army.

Below is the model I was thinking of using, but attaching a Clanrat banner on his current banner pole with some freehand on it. Also I was thinking of removing the dead human head and adding it as a piece to a different mini in my army. Or do you think it is good on its own without conversion for a worthy BSB?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:50 pm

I think that a paint day such as this is best for painting a small project like a hero or two or a few test models. I have 3 18"x24" tv tables and a big folding table that I can set up with chairs around it if that gives you an idea as to the space available.

Sorry for singling out Don and Carson, I was getting frustrated with the lack of responses (either positive or negative) so I felt that a nudge was required. Hopefully we can have a full house and swap some tricks and tips.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 am

we all know i need it, and i will try to attend but i will see as i need a sitter and not working.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 am

This would totally be the best place for any new painters to ask questions. A few of us have been painting for many many years. You can totally get the basics down of basecoating, washes, highlighting, feathering, wet blending, etc. It will improve your painting almost immediately.

A few months after I first started painting in 2004, I was shown a few simple things and the quality of my painting changed immediately. From there you can experiment and develop your own style. Some people are satisfied with table top quality, others spend countless hours researching, learning and experimenting to improve.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 pm

[quote]Sorry for singling out Don and Carson, I was getting frustrated with the lack of responses (either positive or negative) so I felt that a nudge was required. Hopefully we can have a full house and swap some tricks and tips.[quote]

I apologize because I know what that's like when I post about gamesdays. Cuts deep. Smile. I think we're all good enough acquaintances that nudging is more than ok.

One thing I will mention is years ago Scott mentioned getting better brushes. Of course it makes sense, but the difference is amazing. I prefer Raphael over Winsor Newton. I find Newton brushes tend to split into 2 points. Raphael seem to have a better reservoir.

I think the very interesting part is seeing why we all have such different styles and how those are all done. I've seen effects produced by every one of you that I'd like to duplicate. I'd also like to see Scott paint in person and see how he does his metals and blending.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Well as a prelude to this epic event... Let's have a tools discussion. Here is what I use.

1) I use Windsor and Newton series 7 brushes (0 and 1 - some like #2's. I don't.). They hold more paint than synthetic brushes, keep their shape, and I've had great success with them. I've never tried Raphael.

2) The bulk of my wood elves were done with $1 craft paint (Americana and Ceramcoat). Most people would never be able to tell. I find the biggest difference between the paints in how much you can thin them down before the paint just breaks down, and how strong the color is and how big the 'grain' is in the paint. The more you water down the paint, the more this 'grain' will show.

The $1 craft paints are difficult to blend with, but I've shown that it 'can' be done to a decent effect, but you have to use a 'feathering' technique. It is extremely difficult to wet blend with them. When you water the craft paints down they turn almost 'chalky'. The Vallejo Game Color (I used to use Vallejo Model Color as well) I use, are smooth when you water them down, and they blend much nicer, not showing water ring edging as much, allowing you full flexibility on using pretty much any painting technique. I prefer them, and pretty much use them all the time now. For all you new painters out there, if you are on a tight budget, the $1 craft paints will do, and you can get a crapload of different colors. I used Americana and Delta Ceramcoat from Michaels, and waited for their $1 a bottle sale which happened a few times each year. I now use those paints for terrain building! I recommend getting a few bottles of the expensive stuff though, just so you can see the difference.

3) Magnifying visor. 3x magnification. It makes a HUGE difference and when your eyes get old like mine and you cannot focus anymore. You will love these things. You can paint eyes much easier as well as other small details and awkward crevases.

4) Robart Pant Shaker. I love this. It saves my poor old wrists and arms from constant shaking! I actually own two of them though I only use one. Ask me about this in person if you want a little story.

5) Citadel Shades/Washes - I love these. Saves time, and the consistency is fantastic, though they smell like ass when using them.

6) Inks - they are great for changing a shade on something, or for washing.

7) Lamps - I have 2 lamps which shine at opposite angles to reduce shadows and provide more light so I can see better.

8 ) Laminated white paper. I use an 8.5" x 11" laminated piece of white paper as my pallete. I mix paints on it, and make small washes on it. I can throw it away or clean and reuse it when done, and use both sides. Because it is white, you can drag a loaded paint brush on it to see how much paint you have on your brush, or to see if you need more water for thinning.

9) Paint on Varnishes. If you do not want your mini to look plastic or shiny with spray gloss, but still want one or two items on your mini to show some reflection, paint on satin, gloss varnishes really work well after a dull cote spray. I like bullet coating. 1x Gloss spray, 2x matt. Then paint on gloss if I want specific things shinier.

10) Cup of water for mixing. If you ever do metallics, make sure you clean out the water cup and not use it for your other colors, or they might look a little sparkly or have a little sediment on them from the metallic residue. Metallic paint is different than normal paint. I actually have a second cup of water that I use for clearing my brush of metallics to keep them separate, because I am too lazy to clear the water as often as I should. Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm super low-tech.

- I sit in a big easychair with a reading lamp behind me with a daylight bulb.

- I have a red plastic solo cup for my water (I use the same one all the time, I keep it by the sink when I'm not using it).

- I have a folding tv table that I set up and haul out the paints that I think I will need and then I'm good to go.

- I try watering down my paint a bit, mostly by dipping the brush in the water before I dip the brush in the paint.

- I use a #2 windsor newton brush that I've had for the past 4 or 5 years, it is starting to wear out but it still works for now. I also have a #1 or #0 windsor newton brush that I use for really fine details, I find myself using it more often these days as the #2 is not holding as fine a point anymore.

- I basically have my stand-by color recipes that I use in different combinations for my different armies, I usually try something new when I start a new army. Sometimes I experiment with a character model or some such thing but I'd definitely say I'm stuck in a rut with my painting.

That's about it for me, you can see my technique in all its glory on the 12th if you'd like although I'm sure there will be more insight to be gained from some of the other guys. I'm intrigued with Trevor's mention of "wet blending" and "feathering". These are not things that I'm familiar with so it will be a learning experience for sure.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I use feathering more than wet blending. As soon as I am done the base colors I start feathering them up. I will show you when I am there. I can demonstrate on a fig you are currently painting with you paint and color to show you the difference it makes if you like. I use it because I feel in control of hoe bright I make the highlight, and it provides a solid looking blend that is noticeable on the tabletop.

I am sure Scott can show us all a thing or two. I am not sure which technique he uses for blending, but I am curious to find out.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 am

I should be able to make it and do have a few figs that need something to really make them pop.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top