Wood Elves vs Ogre Kingdom 2500 points

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wood Elves vs Ogre Kingdom 2500 points

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Well Darren and I faced off in a 'for fun' match today. He brought a very scary Ogre Kingdoms army to face off against my cursed Wood Elves. I was able to try out my new 'ice dice' for the first time, whose color scheme is a nice fit for my winter theme.

I tried a new list after getting some advice from Nathan the last time I played against him. My list was not specifically designed to fight Ogre Kingdoms, since I really hadn't fought against them since 2006, and even then, it was in a tournament, and we never engaged in melee the whole game due to a mess up in the terrain. So it was interesting to see how this was going to go, since my luck with dice has been horrendous, and I really didn't know how my changes would fare against an army that had both strong shooting and melee.

We rolled a pitched battle and 8 pieces of terrain, including one that reduced leadership by 1 in a 6" radius, and one that a character could make an init test and get some ability. The only one that really came into play was the leadership one, where we both fought the most important battles, and it had an effect as you will see later.

It started out predictably. Darren got first turn.

Ogre Kingdoms Turn 1: He cast a spell to reduce the strength and toughness of my Treeman, then nearly one shotted my Treeman putting 4 wounds on it with his big cannon (I am starting to wonder whether I should invest 300 points somewhere else!!! He almost always gets one shotted!). His scouts successfully charged a unit of Dryads, and then overran into my Great Eagle. Oh yes, it was starting out very well for the Ogre Kingdoms...

Wood Elves Turn 1: Spell casting was non existent. Ogres dispelled everything. Shooting was able to provide a few wounds. Army moved up. My Eagle died horribly in combat from the overrun. My Scouts charged his cannon, and failed.

Ogre Kingdoms Turn 2: Spell casting was non existent. I used a dispel scroll, and then dispelled everything else. His shooting was scary. I was waiting for my Treeman to die. He hit with the Cannon, but rolled a 1 to wound. So the Treeman caught the cannon ball, and threw it on the ground mocking him. He shot my Glade Guard unit with like 20 shots, and killed only 3.

Wood Elves Turn 2: I rolled double ones for the Magic Phase. Yaay me. However, I was able to roll a 5 and 6 on those two dice to cast the Amber Spear and he decided to scroll it, since he only had one dispel dice. We both closed the gap and set up charges.

Ogre Kingdoms Turn 3: His big main deathstar unit with his General, BSB, and other scary models charged my Treekin. EEEEP! A small 3 model Ogre Unit charged my dryads. Dryads were killed down to 3 models, but held with a good leadership roll. His super killy block made my Treekin roll for leadership (I lost one treekin model), and I was successful. That one was very close, and I only lost by 1.

Wood Elves Turn 3: He used some magic item that gave me a miscast after the winds of magic were rolled, but before spells were cast. I rolled a 6 on the miscast table, and killed only 2 Glade Guard and my Weaver took one wound. I rolled a few ones for wounds. ha! A unit of Dryads charged the flank of the 3 model Ogre unit. My unit of Wild Riders charged the flank of the big Ogre block of doom. My scouts finally got a successful flank charge off on his cannon. I started with the 3 model unit of Ogres. I killed them all and overran into the big Ogre block of doom. Since that fight hadn't been done yet, I had a big block of Treekin, Dryads and two ranks of Wild Riders pounding into him. My Wild Rider Noble challenged, and lost 1 wound, and whiffed on all his attacks, but in the end I did enough wounds to break his deathstar unit, and overrun it with my Treekin (my dryads came up short). My Wild Riders held position and reformed. The scouts lucked out on wound rolls and got one wound. He killed only two scouts. So with a charge, flank, and wound, he had to make a leadership roll at -1, with no General or BSB. He failed and I pursued. I came up short.

Ogre Kingdoms Turn 4: He lost two spellcasters in that deathstar, and only had one left. He was unable to cast anything. He shot into my Glade Guard unit to try and finish it off and my weaver with it. He rolled over 20 dice, whiffed and I took no casualties. My Treeman who only had 2 wounds left was charged by a block of 7 or 8 ogres on the flank. Out of luck he whiffed on all wound rolls, and I was able to do a couple of wounds in return. He made his leadership roll.

Wood Elves Turn 4: Dryads charged the flank of of the 7 model Ogre unit that was fighting the Treeman. On a side note, we both forgot about Terror the whole combat. My unit of Treekin charged the scout unit that killed my Eagle, Dryads, and have been harassing my Glade Guard the whole game. The Wild Riders, BSB Mounted on Great Eagle and a unit of Dryads set up for a charge against the same unit. My Treekin made every save against the Ogre scouts, and then managed to kill a few models, breaking the unit. One of my beat up Dryad Units charged his cannon, and it fled off the table. And his final block of 7 Ogres broke against the onslaught of the Dryads and Treeman, which got some pretty amazing wound rolls.

End of game. I lost a unit of Dryads (96pts.), and a Great Eagle (50pts.) this game Many other units had casualties but were still on the table. Ogres had nothing left on the table...

At the start of the game his dice were hot, and mine were not, but by turn 3 mine got hot and his cooled down. This was my first real game vs Ogres, and I went balls to the wall melee against it with my squishy Woodies. They were lucky to hold up and get a victory out of it. I learned a couple of things from this game, and I made some more adjustments to my list to try and strengthen it a little more.

Thanks Nathan, those changes we spoke about were one of the main reasons I got a victory in this game. I had two start units in this game, and they were the new ones that I added to my list.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wood Elves vs Ogre Kingdom 2500 points

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Congrats! Maybe the Tomb Kings and Skaven will stay on the shelves for a bit huh? Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 pm

God no. Ha ha.

I don't like playing unpainted armies, so I likely will have to play woodies for at least one or two more leagues before I will be able to field an army of painted skaven. Sooooo many models to paint. Slave assembly starts this week.

It is really rewarding when I actually win a game with these elves. Felt good to break my 4 game losing streak especially against an army like ogres. Got a little bit of confidence back in the army. I felt with this new list I could control the combats more than my previous lists. In my previous lists I would have had no answer to those big 3 to 4 ranked ogre blocks. In this game I went right at them with my melee. In a more controlled manner.

Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top