test figs for my planned adepticon army......feedback please

Last edited by Carson on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carsons Hobby thread

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Carson, those look awesome. I wouldn't change anything really, and I also like the snow and tree bits, etc. I think when this army is all together and done it'll win prizes.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 am

Make sure you make some cool unit fillers for the big units, I really like the skeleton and the dirty robes on the black knight. This army will look great when it is done, keep us updated on the progress.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:46 am

Well done! I think some stronger highlights neearing white around the eye sockets on the skeletons would take around 6 second to do and I think would be worth it. These units will look great when they hit the table. Does this mean you guys are going for sure? If it's all locked in I'd like to see about going my own self with you, if that's cool.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:58 am

I'm still not convinced with the snow bases as it seems to run together a little "to much" with the rest of the model. I want to do them in a monochrome style with just a hint of color. Your spot on with the highlights though Scott.

Yup were locked in for 2014, good times await. It would be awesome if a whole crew of us were to go down. We havn't decided on wether we are driving or flying but were starting to prepare now.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 am

2014 I can do. No way do I drive, that is for assholes. I'll be flying. Have fun driving assholes!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm not too sure about the eyes. I really like the diluted, dreary look these have. And honestly, unless Scott's giving you advice on Goblin's or Orcs, or anything covered in green and brown, don't believe a thing he writes. Very Happy

I'd rather fly myself, but roadtrips are awesome! And a car full of assholes sounds epic!! I can actually picture it now; I'm driving, with Carson in the passanger seat - we can finally hear ourselves think now that Scott's in the backseat, passed out covered in empty beer cans and throw up sitting beside a car tire. That sounds like fu........

........We should fly.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm

I vote against unit fillers.

Hate those things.

Why put stupid fillers in when the models look that good?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm

I think unit fillers are almost a must to attract the eyes of judges at large conventions. A well done unit filler can make an eye catching addition.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm against stupid unit fillers like giant rocks or pillars. I love mini-dioramas and unit fillers that add character to the unit without looking like they were trying to save money by buying less figures. Usually unit fillers do suck like Eric is saying but every now and then they are amazing. Make yours amazing Carson.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I think unit fillers are almost a must to attract the eyes of judges at large conventions. A well done unit filler can make an eye catching addition.

Build a display board.

Cover it with themed terrain.

Keep the filler shit out of the units.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:43 am

Here is an example of good unit fillers:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?349798-Coven-of-the-Withered-Maiden-a-Lahmia-VC-blog

Here's an example of a bad one:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42310

The first one is more like really extravagant basing (like you've already done with the skeleton fig but on a larger scale) while the second is blatantly trying to get away with buying less models. I wholeheartedly agree with Eric that a display board is also needed but with the unit fillers you can continue the terrain features from the display board into the units and really make it look like something special.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03 am

A display board does nothing once the game begins. Go for the unit fillers Carson!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 am

Just last night Sean (Warriors) was playing Frank (VC) and Sean won combat against Franks Zombies. Frank has a bunch of headstones in his unit, unit fillers of course, and Sean, being new to the game was confused. After winning combat and Frank taking 5 crumble wounds, Sean asked "But how many headstones does that work out to?" Laughing

I have a strange relationship with unit fillers. Never used them and probably never will. Just seems wrong in most cases and although I have seen some beautiful examples, they're usually there for fiscal reasons....and that bugs me. I completely get the zombie situation, where you may need 150 (but do you really?) but throwing down some headstones and dead branches to save the $25 is just, I don't know - I probably shouldn't even mention it as I don't even have a dog in this fight. I'll leave by saying that unit fillers should be quite rare and of comparable value/effort to what it's replacing or it just looks suspicious.

Feel free to completely disregard everything I just wrote as my opinion on this may change by the end of the day anyways.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Loads of examples here:
http://imagination-incorporation.blogspot.ca/2011/08/armies-on-parade-us-games-day.html

A couple other examples:

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeesh, that Tomb King army is amazing.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:04 pm

A display board is also a must if you're seekign a competitive paint score for sure, I just also feel the addition of using "unit fillers" gives another boost that also translates to on board appearance during game play.

Unit filler - hate that term. Like Don says we've all seen the el cheapo unit fillers meant to stretch a dollar further. The ones I like to see really enhance a unit simply by lumping a larger sized project into a unit. Something that won't work with a 20-25mm base. Paul Ting -my personal hobby hero- had an Ogre army with a little shanty town unit of gnoblars. Nice looking unit!

This is the type of stuff I think can REALLY seperate an army from the competition...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/11028?browseid=3832914

I think the zombie example is one of the most common. I think at best you'd call that proxy more than a unit filler though. Remember that retarded army that dude was trying to sell on this site with the hands on square bases? That's the worst example I've seen.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Wow this took off. I both hate and love fillers. I love the fillers that incorporate a story ot "picture" that enhances the unit, hate the fillers that are there simply to fill bases.

I have two blocks of 56 skeletons 7*8 in this planned army ( lets not worry about whats better in an undead army right now). Each block has a filler consisting of very small ruined pillars or wall sections. Each only takes the place of 1 or 2 skeletons. They are there purely for theme/story/judges points. I'll post em up and then you guys can tear into them.

In bigger events, a display board is also a must. In fact some of the painting score is allocated for the display board.

I've actually decided to go against the snow bases and will instead use plain old drybrushed ground but will add lots of skulls and skeletal remains, tomb stones etc. The only color I want on the figs other than monotone colors are some slight glowing eye effects.

I'll post up pics and we'll go from there. I appreciate the feed back for this project and I want to really put some work and thought into this army.

Inspiration for this army comes from my favourite painter. Google Julian Bayliss and check out his work. His Vampire army and unit dioramas are amazing. I personally dig his dark gothic feel to his painting.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:04 pm

slight glowing eye effects

Be careful with that and practise. I've seen that effect in amazing quality and " Whisper Pines Mental Home" quality.

And Scott, the fellow that has the bases with bits on it played beside me against Dean Dodge the other day (My first seige game btw). Anyhoo, I'm "gently" nudging Maeson away from that abomination of a VC army and "reminding" him that it's simply rubbish. The bases are worth more than the bits - and when I say bits, I mean ribs not the cool valuable stuff. In this last game he put down 6, 40mm bases in a 2X3 formation. I asked, "What's that?" His reply was they were Crypt Horrors. They had, literally, a hand, a rib, and a bit or two on each base - not even flocked mind you. Hm, I thought. He then placed, no lie, 5X 40 mm bases side by side, to which I asked "More Crypt Horrors?". Nope, these were 20 "skeletons" 4 on each 40mm base, which looked exactly like the "Crypt Horrors". I couldn't contain myself and said what I felt about devaluing what I put on the table by putting that "army" down. I say this knowing that's it's likely Maeson will read this thread, but feel 'It takes a Village" and all that.

Last edited by squalie on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had a chance to calm down. :))

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:09 pm

That shit wouldn't fly with me.

He would get no game.

Fucking ridiculous.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Ok, here is the black knight version 2. I dropped the snow on the base, re-highlighted the face with skull white. the base was drybrushed with a greenish white color to "look" ensorcelled or magicky from the presence of the undead, skulls added to base.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 pm

I love it. It looks very creepy.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 pm

I like the snow bases better - especially on the skeleton tree guy.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:58 pm

I prefer version 2.0

I felt that the snow was done well and would work with a different colour scheme. As it was the white of the base overpowered the near white highlights on the bone and the cloth. I think the new version showcases the models first with the base looking like part of the miniature rather than being the primary point of focus.

Either way the army will look strong, but I like 2.0

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree, I think 2.0 is creepier looking. The snow almost adds 'purity' to the model making it less creepy. I like the rock coloring a lot.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top