Continuation of Discussion about armies...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Continuation of Discussion about armies...

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 am

squalie wrote:Well, there's no denying that WE's aren't winning many tournaments right now, but they can show up and represent sometimes.

Dunno. Maybe it's inspiration to finish your TK's OR start Skaven like you were talking about. They would be, By far, the most competitive army you would own.

Being out of Warhammer for a little while, I am not sure which armies are competitive, or can hold their own in tournaments. I usually pick an army that has fantastic sculpts (i.e. Tomb Kings) or inspires me to a theme I am interested in painting (i.e. Albino Skaven), and then just play them once I am done painting. In 2006 I thought painting a Winter themed Wood Elf army would be fun so that is why I started collecting them. Heck, when I started collecting them, I didn't even have a plan to play Warhammer. I just liked the sculpts and wanted to paint them. I was already running a Confrontation league and tournaments and had 4 Confrontation armies in that game on the go! Two of them are still half painted, and I am using them for D&D minis now since that game is now dead.

Do you think the Skaven would be more competitive than Tomb Kings from a tournament perspective?

I have no clue what is good in their army so I don't even know what to buy. I've read that Warplightning Cannons are a 'must buy' from some forums, but not much else. If the Skaven were decent in tournaments, I think it would be fun to build a diorama of the white Albino Rats with pink skin coming out of the Empire sewers. A fluffy themed Skaven army that could hold its own. I actually played Skaven in Mordheim and still have some minis from back then, so I always liked the whole rat thing.

This is a picture of a real albino rat. Note the red eyes and white fur. I think they would look sharp on the field...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Continuation of Discussion about armies...

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 am

I like the idea of albino rats and big units of skaven leave lots of room for unit-filler dioramas. You could end up with a really cool army. Hell pit abominations are a very strong choice and give you the opportunity to paint up a large monster or two. I'd say knock out your tomb kings quick and then use them while you take your time with the skaven.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 pm

FYI. I am looking at another army already, because I know my Tomb Kings will be very quick to paint. Skeletons are super easy and fast to paint, and look good even though you put no effort into them. Especially with my P3 Bone Primer!

Any ideas on what skaven special/rare/support units are worth buying? Would one get a Doomwheel, a couple of Warp Lightning Cannons, a Bell? I don't know what is good for support with Skaven. Are there other special/rare units that tend to perform well?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:43 pm

I am looking at another army already, because I know my Tomb Kings will be very quick to paint. Skeletons are super easy and fast to paint, and look good even though you put no effort into them.

You'll see. One of the hardest armies I've ever painted. I'd paint a Daemon army again in a heartbeat (I am), but this will certainly be all the TK I'll ever paint.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:20 pm

As luck would have it, I ran into a little extra coin this week. Thinking of buying a bunch of skaven before prices go up again...
Smile

I noticed the Island of Blood has a bunch of Skaven in there, and when I priced out the Skaven models alone, the price of the box was cheaper than buying these models. As well you get books, and elves as well. I am not really interested in the High Elves though.... :/

If there are any players experienced with or against Skaven, what boxes would you buy and why if you were starting this army to get a solid 2500-3000 point army?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:46 pm

No matter what you end up going with you'll need clan rats almost guaranteed. I think you can make a really solid list with only clan rats, slaves and an abomination or two. If you want to go more shooty pick up the warp lightning cannon kit and some weapon teams. Really, you should get the army book and go from there.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top