Doms Vampires: a tale of undeath

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doms Vampires: a tale of undeath

Post  Kuyp on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 pm

so I'm starting Vampire counts and I decided that i should do a project thread showing my progress. I'm going to try and tackle this army in units before i move on to the next one. so here to start I'm going to do up a large unit of 60 skeletons!!. I have 40 models and the other 20 is going to be filler on mullti bases.

Last edited by Kuyp on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Doms Vampires: a tale of undeath

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I totally missed this Dom. Good on you for doing 60 Skeletons! But let's be clear...you're doing 40. Razz

So your Empire army became Vampires and Skeletons huh?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:36 pm

Dom! Thanks to your wiggly out of focus picture I think I now have autism. Thanks for that.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Hope the pictures get better but I'm excited to see this army get built.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:44 pm

well i got 20 (bases) put together. im liking the way its looking thus far but the true test is when i pick up a brush... anyway hers before primer

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Man, those are sooo much nicer than the Tomb King skeletons. I notice that they die so fast that you have them in groups of 20? Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 pm

i have been trying out basing stuff mostly cause i cant paint worth shit. here's the best result i have got thus far. im planning on adding some taller cat-tail like stuff as well once i find some.

I would like to start painting some stuff but i cant paint worth shit and the figs i do paint end up looking so cartoon like its horrendous, any tips to knock out decent looking figs with out spending countless hours on each one ? also any ideas as to what paint scheme i could use for this army ? i know what im thinking of in my head and it looks ultra cool but i cant seem to find a way to make it a reality. i picture this damp swamp that has consumed an ancient battle field with lots of fallen warriors trudging through it, they all seem kinda grey-scale almost like in some movies where everything is black and white except for a few things that the director really wants you to pay attention to... anyway that's my rant ANY help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:22 am

For my Tomb King Giant. I primed using bone primer. I did a wash of Gryphonne Sepia. Then blended up the bone color adding a teeny bit of white into my bone paint for the highlights. Did another wash of Gryphonne sepia to balance the whole look. Done. Takes almost no time...

Depends if you want whiter skeletons or bone looking ones. But it is the same concept if you go white. Just use a wash that you like for the shading. Washes could be anything from a purple. blue, black, or even devlan mud depending on the look you want.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:40 am

Wow - a Dom rant. Kinda cool, you should do more of them. Anyways, we've all talked about painting days but they never really happen. We should invade someones home and have a painting day. Share tips, laugh at peoples figs, etc.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Like my pink ogre

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 am

Mhael wrote:Like my pink ogre

Is that what you call your dewie?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:35 am

I think a paint day at someone's house is a grat idea, the only problem is that once you get more than one warhammer player in a room together with their figs a game inevitably breaks out.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:24 am

Try this out Dom.

Spray your figs grey, paint the armour in metal, cloth in your choice of color, wash the entire model heavily in agrax earthshade. done
If you want a rusty look to the metals, lightly drybrush orange onto the metal surface before the wash.

quick and easy...works great for undead and grimey armies. Oh and the basing looks good. To get swamp water effect simply put down a thick layer of white pva glue, let dry and then wash with a purply green wash.

We really should have a paint day. getting good results for tabletop painting is really all about technique and knowing the "tricks" of the trade.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 am

I think I could probably host something like this, I can set up a 4'x6' table if someone wants to play a game, I have tv tables and lamps for 4 or 5 people to use for painting too. I'll bring the idea up with my wife and see if I can figure out a day that could work sometime soon.

Sorry Dom, sorta hijacked your thread. I love the base and I think some water effects like Carson suggested will complete the look nicely. I do think that you should put some paint on the sand, a quick basecoat of graveyard earth and a drybrush of kommando khaki will make it look less like sand glued to a base and more like actual dirt or mud. If you want a darker looking ground go with scorched brown as the base and graveyard earth as the drybrush (or something similar). As for the skellies, spray or just brush on a basecoat with dark grey, drybrush with codex grey or some other mid-tone grey, very lightly drybrush with a light grey or even white, wash heavily with Devlan mud or black (I'd prefer Devlan mud because it will give it a hint of color). Pick the armour and cloth out before the wash and hit them with it too. I love Devlan mud, it is the best of the washes.

Edit: If you want a cool weathered metal color on your armour try using boltgun metal as a base and then brush on a devlan mud wash. Then when that is dry, brush on a purple wash. It gives a cool color that I almost used for my high elves. It might be difficult to get a consistant tone out of it (that's why I didn't use it) but if you experiment with it you might like the results.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 pm

weeeellllll, before i read Carson and Nathans advice i did up two guys, i started with bone primer, picked out the cloth and such, other details yada yada put a black wash over all the bone and then when all dry i hectically brushed on a some what wash of grey over the entire fig. i don't think it turned out too terribly bad and each fig only took about 20 minuets per... Im gonna try and take some decent pics of them here tonight for some CC

pic...

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:10 am

Those look great! I'd like to see them in person but they look like what you were ranting that you wanted in your previous post. Nice work! 2 down, the rest of the army to go!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:02 pm

I think those look pretty good. 38 more to go!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 pm

How are these coming along? Since Carson stole your thunder by starting his copycat army you haven't posted anything!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:14 pm

They kinda got put on hold for now, I did paint up like 10 more but that's about it. I'm trying to get the woddies pAinted up right now. I have almost finished up 12 of them but I realized after I painted the first few thpat I think they may look simalar to yours nathan, but I can't quite remember how they look. I was not shooting for a fall theme but it almost looks like it l. I will tpost some pics when I get them baseed

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Autumn is the best scheme for Wood Elves! I like it so much more than the standard Green/green scheme although I have seen that done very well also. I look forward to seeing them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:47 pm

If I didn't do winter, I would have done Autumn. The only reason why I did winter, is because in 2006, I only saw one or two armies painted like this on the internet, and they were done poorly... Autumn is amazing with Red orange, browns and yellows. You can actually buy these little leaves you can use on the bases that look amazing as well and are not expensive.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Update: I put together 80 Skeletons, 3 varghishts, bassed, and primed ready for the brush...

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Awesome. I can't wait for you to start playing this army.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 am

Nice! Can't wait to see pictures.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:21 pm

Sponsored content