Masters Round 3: And a hero was born .....

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Masters Round 3: And a hero was born .....

Post  Mhael on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 am

Just noticing the sign up. Wat to showcase our hobby lots of different armies coming out.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 am

anyone care to share what they are bringing this saturday?
In the event of an odd number of players, i will be playing this ...
12 dryads
12 dryads
16 glade guard
15 wardancers
14 wardancers
treeman
War dancer noble

BOOM!!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am

Lich Priest
20 archers
4 chariots
5 necro knights
5 necro knights
Skull catapult
Skull catapult
Casket of souls

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:44 pm

6 ironguts
7 ironguts
6 leadbelchers
Dremer-bruiser
Bashtard-bruiser
Eviscera-butcher
Firegut-firebelly

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Mounted WarriorPriest
WarriorPriest
Battle Wizard
10 crossbowmen
10 crossbowmen
great cannon
great cannon
4 demi-griffon knights
9 Inner Circle knights
39 halberdiers

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Empire huh? Chickensh**! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I can't make it anymore, BOOO! but this is what I would have brought:

Hero on Pegasus
BSB
16 peasant bowmen with braziers and defensive stakes
8 knights of the realm
12 knights errant with errantry banner
grail reliquae and 24 battle pilgrims
3 pegasus knights

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 pm

30 warriors
30 warriors
Cannon
Bolt thrower
15 iron breakers
BSB
Rune smith
Thane

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 am

I will be coming out, but not to play. I want to watch a game or two. Especially to see how the Tomb Kings work, which is my next army...
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 am

Just curious, but why not play those fancy Wood Elves?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 am

I'm sure the organizer could arrange for you to face an army of tomb kings so you could see how they work first hand!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am

heh heh. No that is okay. People in Tournaments get a little too hardcore/serious for me. I don't find them at all enjoyable to play in. I am more of a League/for fun type player.

I look forward to seeing all the armies that will be fielded tomorrow though!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 pm

People in Saskatchewan definitely don't get too intense in tournaments.

Not from what I've seen anyway.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 pm

I agree, I think in the past it used to get a little more intense but especially in the past few years it's become pretty laid back. Take this thread for example, almost the entire field has posted their army list!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Wizard;
Wizard;
Engineer;
Captain BSB;
8 IC Knights;
24 Spearmen +5 +5;
6 Reiksguard;
5 Outriders;
1 Cannon; and
1 Helblaster.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:44 pm

This was my first and last tournament experience summarized (5 years ago in Saskatoon):

1) This was my first tournament, and on my first game, I mistakenly kept referring to my Noble as a Lord. I had been playing a solid 3 weeks prior to this tournament (maybe 6 games of warhammer fantasy ever), so I never thought twice about it. I still didn't have a full grasp of the model/unit names. My Treeman Ancient was my General in that game. At the end of the game, we were counting up points, I massacred against the Dark Elf player, and he mentioned that he got 100 points for killing my general, and I said, "What do you mean, that is my General (pointing at my Treeman)." Then he said 'but you were calling that other elf hero your Lord the whole game.' In shock, I said, "but that is what it said on the blister when I bought him, what is he supposed to be called." I looked at my combat sheet, and said, "he is called a noble." I checked my army book and showed him, "it says my general would be called a Highborn so either way I wasn't calling him by his rightful name." I offered for my opponent to look at my sheet to see the details of my army. He got very upset, gave me a dirty look, and said, he didn't want to see it. I said, I promise it was not intentional, I will mark you the highest value for sportsmanship, and apologized to him. I also said this is probably only the 6th game I've ever played of Warhammer so I do not have a full grasp of the names yet. He marked me the lowest sportsmanship score, and gave me dirty looks the rest of the day.

2) Game 2. My opponent told me he could do something (it was 5 years ago, I can't remember exactly what it was), I challenged it and asked if we could look up the rule quickly. I would have let it slide, but it would have made a HUGE difference in the game if he was right. He had a big demon on the table. He gets all mad that I questioned him, he started to rant about how he is pissed that I think he is trying to cheat. I tell him, 'I don't think you are trying to cheat, I am just pretty sure the rule is different'. A judge happened to be walking by so I call him over, we explained the situation to him, and he ruled against the other player. The other player was a total prick the rest of the game to me, and rated me a 1 for sportsmanship.

3) On my third game, someone had moved the terrain around before the match. We didn't know this until round 3, and it really messed up our match. I was playing against Ogre Kingdoms, and I was Wood Elves. The judge comes to our table, and we complain about the table set up, and how I am ripping into his army with arrows, and he can't get across the battlefield because of the terrain, and how it is so one sided. The Judge said, well the terrain was moved by someone, it is not supposed to be laid out like that. I got rated a low sportsmanship score for some reason, and I think it is because I was shooting the hell out of him, and not charging him. Well Wood Elves are not charging ogres... duh... Plus the terrain was so congested that it took many turns just to get halfway across the table.

4) I think I had a 4th game, but it was not memorable. If I remember right, I wiped him off the table. I received a very low sportsmanship score for tabling him if I remember right. Nothing special happened and it seemed like a nice game other than the wipe out.

5) I won best painted army. (still have no idea how I beat the Ogre Kingdom. He had a display and had won best painted army in the tournament in Winnipeg prior to this one). But this was the high point for me and a total surprise.

6) Note: In every game I was rated the lowest score possible in sportsmanship or in the bottom third.

What I learned about tournaments:
1) You can't question anyone when you know they are making a mistake on a rule, or they will hit you hard in sportsmanship, or be a prick the whole tournament to you.
2) Make sure you know exactly what your models are called by the book. If you call it something else, your opponent will make assumptions and if he is wrong about those assumptions, he will punish you for that.
3) Make sure the terrain is set up the way it is supposed to be prior to starting up the game. You can be at a serious disadvantage or advantage depending on your side or objective.
4) Don't win games. Try and draw them. If you win, they will mark you low on sportsmanship.

I had a very bad experience the first tournament I ever entered. And I have never entered one since. I find the League Games, and friendly for fun games to be more my style. People are not as uptight. The only reason I remember a lot of these details, is because of how terrible a time I had at the tournament, and how uptight many of the people were.

Actually, I think it was shortly after this tournament, I took a long break from Warhammer.

Last edited by Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm

What I learned about tournaments:
1) You can't question anyone when you know they are making a mistake on a rule, or they will hit you hard in sportsmanship, or be a prick the whole tournament to you.
2) Make sure you know exactly what your models are called by the book. If you call it something else, your opponent will make assumptions and if he is wrong about those assumptions, he will punish you for that.
3) Make sure the terrain is set up the way it is supposed to be prior to starting up the game. You can be at a serious disadvantage or advantage depending on your side or objective.
4) Don't win games. Try and draw them. If you win, they will mark you low on sportsmanship.

None of that is really true in the Saskatoon tournaments.

The players are the same guys who come out at league nights. They tend to bring the same attitude that they bring to casual games. Aside from me, we don't have too many really bad assholes. Tournaments, particularly the smaller 1500 point tournaments like this one, are, in a large part, intended to help introduce new players to the game. I think most of the people signed up will have reasonable patience with any rules dispute or disagreement that occurs.

I think I remember the tournament you are referring to 5 years ago. I believe there was a large contingent of Calgary players attending, and I think I can safely place a lot of the blame for your experience on their shoulders (Carson could correct me on that if I'm wrong).

I heartily encourage you to sign up for this tourney and roll some dice if you can. It's going to be a good time.

You can't base your idea of a tournament off of a single bad example.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Oh you were there?!

There was a lot of Calgary players there yes. The player in my first game was from the Saskatoon area though. I don't remember the name. He likely is still on these forums and likely will remember this. Either way, this tournament experience made me not want to play Warhammer for quite a few years.

I think you can still consider me a new player, considering in total I likely have played less than 15 games of warhammer fantasy in my life (though I own 3 armies). I really do enjoy the game, and I hope things turn out to be a lot of fun in the league or in future special events. I've only played against Wood Elves and Lizardmen so far, and have won 3 and lost 1. All games were fun, even though Darren last night killed my army in turn 2 with a miscasted Dwellers that took out 2 expensive heroes and half of a powerful unit.

I am still quite gun-shy when it comes to tournament play after that last experience, so I hope you all don't think less of me for not playing in it.
I will come and watch for support though! I want to see those sexy Khemri on the table and maybe learn a few tricks.

p.s. Keep in mind I am choosing to spend some time with you strangers out there on my birthday... I turn 42 tomorrow.
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Looks like a lot of the problems you had were from simple inexperince. Also, in larger scale tournaments people really do go bringing thier A game with hopes of winning. It can be quite competitive, especially when out of towners are involved. Noiw that I think of it, I havn't been to a large tournamnet that din't have some sort of controversy. It indeed happened at that tournament you mentioned, actually over the painting title which alot of peeople take very seriously. I'm sure the Ogre army was painted by Paul Ting and the Calgary contingent were upset that you won the trophy over Paul. I've judged alot of painting challenges and I'd still argue your army was better technically painted than his even though I felt in overall appearance they were dead even.

But hey the expected controversy is half the fun.

Anways, Saskatoon's tournament is totally laid back and is a great bunch of guys, even Eric Very Happy

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 pm

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone at the tournament tomorrow. I likely haven't met 90% of the players who will be there, being out of the game for the last few years!

Sorry if I derailed the thread. I definitely don't want to diminish the great event that is being planned here, and that everyone is so pumped about! I hope to see some really nice painted armies tomorrow while observing the tables. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Wow, this thread exploded. Trevor, I'm giving you a 1 for Sportsman.

Seriously though, Eric said it right; Don't judge tournaments by one bad experience, and everyone, and I mean everyone can say with confidence that it is so far removed from what you described that you probably wouldn't even recognise the game. So, it's time to stop paying for Warhammer therapy and get back on that horse and play. If you enter a tourny in the near future and don't like it, I'll offer to pay your entry fee and take the Wood Elves off your hands as you won't be playing Warhammer anyways. Very Happy

Come on out. It's fun.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 am

Don't worry I will be there tomorrow. I will be watching your TK and learning a little from how you play them. Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 am

Saurus Scar-Vet - General
Saurus Scar-Vet - BSB
Skink Priest
15 Skinks
25 Saurus Warriors
22 Temple Guard
3 Salamanders

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:42 pm

Today was a lot of fun. It was great to meet everyone, and see some old faces from 5 years ago. Thanks to Dom for all the hard work putting this together!

Sorry I couldn't give you all more of a challenge today. The Woodies were pretty powerless against some of your army compositions, but I learned how some of the units worked in Empire, Tomb Kings, and the Dwarves which I really hadn't played against before. I am looking forward to fielding a Tomb Kings army in the next League. I hope I can get a 2500 point army painted up by then.
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:24 am

Thanks to Dom again, it wa s agood day - lots of fun. Good to see some new faces and had a couple guys watching and asking questions. Always a good sign for growing the hobby and filling the talent pool!

Glad this tourny experience was better than your last one Trevor. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top