Where to buy Vallejo paints?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where to buy Vallejo paints?

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 pm

I bloody well hate the new GW Golds. I've read that Vallejo has a couple really nice golds - among other colours.

I think it's time to throw off my GW fanboy Poncho and try some other resources. I've seen a few Privateer Press paints that looked pretty good too. I know the Den has some P3, but don't know about others.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Where to buy Vallejo paints?

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:53 pm

P3 metals are shit. Anyone who tells you they are good is either a fucktard or a Privateer Press employee. Maybe both.

Vallejo Game color and Vallejo Model colour metals are not much of an improvement vs. GW. The Cat's ass are Vallejo Model Air metals. I use them and can't imagine switching to anything else.

http://www.thewarstore.com/VallejoModelAirColors.html

The place i used to buy them from doesn't exist anymore. I gaurantee that if you don't like them I will buy them off you. Best investment any painter looking for better metals can make!

PS! If you do consider getting some Vallejo stuff get some Game Colour "smoke" ink. It's awesome for dirty metals and for doing gold stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:28 pm

What a coincidence that I'm painting my white lions, hating the Golds, came on here to post about it and found this! One year later!

The Gehenna's Gold is BRUTAL compared to the old Shining Gold. Gehenna's just seperates into a heavy gold flake and a "red" oily looking substance. If I water it down - even a little, when I apply the paint it's basically a red wash unless I put it on thick. Makes me crazy.

GW is really pissing me off with the new paints. Love the colour selection (more money!) but the paints are noticeably inferior to the previous equivalent colours.

Watch this thread same time next year!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:45 pm

i have that gehenna's gold on my WoC and found that it sepearated all the time, i just assumed i was mixing it wrong with water or just not applying it fast enough. is there any way to make it stop doing that? im using it for detail so i don't rly want to put it on tooo thick and lose the detail...

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I shook my gehenna's gold for like 20 minutes and it seems to be mixed well enough to use. In spite of that I used a base of balthasar's gold and auric armour gold to pick out the highlights on my dragon mage's attire.

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:23 pm

I just use boltgun metal and then wash it with a yellow and/or brown. I can do hilights by using Mithral silver before the washes.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 pm

To respond to your original question, the den now carries Vallejo, so you should be able to get the gold you were after.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks decker! My last few pots of GW paints over the past 6mos or so have been dried out (dumb that I didn't check before buying). I agree with the general sentiment that GW quality is going downhill.. and with the last pot of completed-dried-into-a-solid-chunk GW paint from a month ago I'm now done with them. I was just wondering where to get Vallejo, so it sounds like the 'Den is going to be getting a mammoth purchase from me this weekend (payday and all), plus I've heard negative things about GW paints and airbrushes.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm in town this weekend and I think I'll spend a bunch on the Vallejo. Thanks for the heads up Decker.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:58 pm

It's my go to line of paints, I do prefer the Vallejo air metals though.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:21 pm

got my Xmas present from my wife a little early (airbrush, etc) and about $100 worth of Vallejo paints today. I'm off to the races... wish me luck with the airbrush, it's my first. Fingers crossed the Vallejo colours I have are going to do the trick!

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 pm

On a similar tangent, does anyone know of a good line of paints for clear coat colours and where to get them around here? I want to try my hand at value painting and some airbrush effect shenanigans, but I would need to find some good clear coats to work with first.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Planes wrote:On a similar tangent, does anyone know of a good line of paints for clear coat colours and where to get them around here?  I want to try my hand at value painting and some airbrush effect shenanigans, but I would need to find some good clear coats to work with first.
What? What the hell is a clear coat paint? What the hell is value painting?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Also known as candy coat, it is paint with high saturation value, but drys transparent, similar to washes, but without the whole just pooling in nooks and crannies. Value painting involves going and simply painting the desired values (ie: greyscale) on the model, and then using washes and/or clear coat to get nice transitions within the same color. I largely found out about the process through video tutorials such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y6TlMIYXWw&list=FLQ5LgB4bMqmox1q67cHY5lQ&index=38

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:57 am

That technique looked goofy, and I've never heard of any of the terms you've just mentioned. I don't think you'd need to buy special paint for what you're describing though, controlled use of an airbrush should probably be enough. Though I am no airbrush fan generally.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:24 am

I didn't use any clear coat paint, but I did something similar with a selection of skaven test models using the previous generation of GW washes. I primed them white, then washed them with black, then drybrushed them white to have a nice greyscale model. Then I washed using various colours. I think boltgun metal is the only actual paint used on these models, and that was turned into a wash (watered down and with a tiny dab of dish detergent added).

It was an interesting experiment if nothing else.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 am

It seems to have worked out well enough on your skaven. It is a shame, though, that I can't seem to track down the other value painting tutorial I recall seeing before. I was for fantasy Ogres, and thinking back, it might have been in the MWG vault back when I did a free trial with them.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 am

Here's where I took the idea from:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209588-More-fun-with-washes

Read through the thread and you should get enough to test it out.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 am

Dang Clark, those look really good!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:53 pm

yeah really solid looking rats. love the blue cloaks.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Its amazing what you can get with washes

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:18 am

Apparently Hobby World carries the paints I was looking for, as Tamiya has some clear paints for basic primary/secondary colours. I did a basic grey scale gradient on this guy with my air brush, and tuned and tweaked it with a wash of Nuln Oil and some dry brushing of white. Spraying on the clear red gave be a pretty spiffy base to build off of for this guy.

I've known about doing a similar effect with washes for a while now. I did up my Noise Marines/Warriors of Chaos squad using it, got some really rad capes out of the deal. Using clear coat paint seems to be more of the air brush version of the same basic forms.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:35 am

How did 40K models get in this thread?

Anyways, went to the Den this weekend and they had a good selection of Vallejo paints - but no Gold. Figures.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top