Dropzone Commander

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dropzone Commander

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am

Has anyone seen anything on Dropzone Commander (http://www.hawkwargames.com/pages/dropzone-commander)?

Everything I've seen seems to indicate that this is a great game. I have ordered the rulebook, but it is still en route.

I'll post a summary of the game here if there is any interest.

Rules are supposed to be super clean, yet thematic. I, personally, find the miniatures to be gorgeous. Pretty incredible that rules and minis are the work of a single guy...

I know that I, like many other people here, need another game like I need a hole in the head, but it looks neat to me.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropzone Commander

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 pm

THAT, looks awesome. Let me know how the rules are as those models are F'n brilliant. His style seems to bleed a little between races, but that's a negligable quibble at best. Wow.

Now about that hole in the head you were talking about....

Last edited by squalie on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stupid auto correct)

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Miniatures are incredible. I've staved off ordering some to paint because of the hole in the head problem but I may have to give it a shot.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm

I totally dig the UCM and PHR. Very nice models.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:09 pm

I saw today that the stupid shipping company tried to "deliver" my rulebook on November 2. Without leaving a note, calling me or doing anything else, they've already started shipping it back to the UK. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer...

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:00 pm

Update on my rulebook:

Good on Hawk Wargames. As soon as I contacted them and told them what happened, they sent out a fresh copy immediately so I wouldn't have to wait longer than necessary.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Finally got the rulebook.

Great looking game. A 2000 point army (40-50 models) ends up being about ₤200 (so ~$320CAD). When you figure that's the cost of a decent unit of Blood Knights, it's really quite a bargain.

If there's any interest at all, I'm ready to drop cash for two armies (UCM and Shaltari) right this very minute.

By the way, the game balance right now seems to be outstanding. With only two units out of all the armies standing out (one too good, one too expensive). Feedback is that both will be fixed.

In the last few months, they've done 6 FAQ revisions, and look to be supporting the hell out of the game.

Aaaaaanyone?

Summary of how the game works:
Models are called "Units";
Units go in Squads;
Squads go in Battlegroups; and
Battlegroups make up your army.

There are different types of Battlegroups (HQ, Armour, Infantry, Special, etc.) that determines what squads can go inside them. You can have a max of 7 Battlegroups - you can't take everything you want.

I-go-U-go activation of BATTLEGROUPS. So you get to move all Squads contained in each Battlegroup, then play goes to other person until all Battlegroups are activated.

All weapons have decently long range, but most also have a much shorter range for units with Active Countermeasures (AC). The exceptions are energy weapons like laser and plasma cannons (which are rare). Pretty much all vehicles have AC, which cuts down on the range fights, forcing close quarters skirmishes.

With the exception of very light scout units (and the Scourge), most ground forces can only move between 2 and 4 inches per turn. In order to threaten your enemy or redeploy you need Dropships (hence the name of the game). Scenarios are largely objective based (but with a few pound'em battles), and infantry are needed to capture objectives. Objectives are in buildings, and you can destroy buildings if you want.

Morale effects are very limited, only occurring during infantry close quarters battles. Everything fights until it dies. Command units give you an area of effect for playing minor effect cards from your hand. Radius of command is increased by scouts, who also provide a bonus for indirect fire weapons.

The balance between armour/firepower/mobility is very precise. Particularly since units can not shoot the turn they deploy from a dropship.

The Shaltari race doesn't use dropships, but can teleport units from off of the table through their "Gates" and can even teleport from one Gate to another. Some realllly mean strategies there.

VTOL aircraft (gunships and dropships) move fast, but stay on board. Strike fighters and bombers move from off table to off-table during their attack runs. You can designate your fighters to intercept enemy fighters/bombers, in a stacking order. Only AA can shoot at aircraft of either type. Infantry can give up attacks to make potshots at aircraft.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:44 am

So I've proxied a couple games, and the rules are a treat.

Ordered two armies, Brent and Joe are going to get into the game, I think Don might join us if I twist his rubber arm, and I'm hoping to get some more players as well.

If anyone is interested at taking a look, check it out here:
http://www.4shared.com/office/jxZOFxMj/DZC.html

2 of the pages (the ones dealing with transports) didn't scan right, but I'll re-scan those.

Please don't share this too far.

Hawk just announced the first expansion for the game which will include two new units for every race. The full rules for the units will be released in PDF for free on the Hawk website in January.

The only two units which were out of whack with respect to points have been changed. Hawk puts out a new FAQ every couple of weeks as things pop up, they're officially supporting a free to download army builder program with full stats and rules for the units (http://www.dzc-ffor.com/) that is updated whenever there's a rules change.

Anyone else in on this?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 am

There are lots of games that I'd like to try (ie: Flames of War, 40K, and now this one) but I'm hesitant to do that because I can't afford to get hooked on another game system, I have too much invested in Warhammer already! That said, I'd be down to try it sometime.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

Well, that's why I picked up 2 armies!

Also the prices are quite reasonable (well relatively) because it's a 10mm game.

Full 2000 point army for less than $300 should be doable.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:49 pm

I ordered the PHR army deal today. Not sure how many points that works out to table wise but the mini's looked good and the rules OK. We'll see if these boys ever hit the table!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Oh geez...now I might have to jump on the train...say it ain't so.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 pm

If you got the PHR Mega battle army, you will have enough to make a reasonable 2000 point army.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:53 pm

I own that movie.

I'm actually reading the rules right now and it seems like a damn fine game. Models are so cool.

Anyways, much like everyone else, if this cult takes off I'll join. We should have a demo day in the Toon sometime.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:58 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:If you got the PHR Mega battle army, you will have enough to make a reasonable 2000 point army.

It was the 170gbp's one. Is that the mega sized jobber?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 pm

That's the large army with a case.

With Commanders and upgrades, could possibly do 1500 from that.

The Mega is 220 without a case, 250 with.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:41 pm

what's the typical game size? I'll see how I like what I got then maybe expand up if 2K or more is the norm.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm

There are 3 composition levels in the game:
Skirmish: 500 - 999;
Clash: 1000 - 1999; and
Battle: 2000 - 3000.

So 2000 is the lowest level to fight a battle.

This lets you use a full battlegroup. I figure 2000 will probably be the most common points level, since it gives you the full flexibility, while still preventing you from taking all the toys. The full battlegroup can be used at 2k, but can't be filled, leading to those hard decisions we know and love.

If you want to point out what you bought, check out the army builder program that Hawk released:
http://www.dzc-ffor.com/

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:04 pm

I just thought I'd put down my first impressions on what I purchased.

I bought the PHR army deal. It was 170gbp's and after duty worked out to around $310 cdn to my doorstep. My army deal came with a nice shiny metal carrying case with pre-cut foam inserts for my stuff. This was very nice. Delivery was 4 working days, that was very nice.

First impression on the mini's - The look of the faction I bought I love. When I saw the litle ED-209 lookin' mother fuckers I knew this was the army for me. I was also able to pick out a colour scheme I'd like to try on the army quickly which is a bonus. I've bought a lot of stuff I really like the look of but can't imagine how I want it to look and hence I have some overflowing shelves full of beautiful sculpts sitting in boxes. I knew how I was going to paint these guys. The casting on the mini's I've gone through has been not real good. For the scale of the stuff having any rough spots in the cast is going to show up pretty menacingly once paint hits it. Also there was a really wierd decision on the Juno AFV transports for my army. The tanks have been split in half down the middle which means I was faced with either commiting around 30 to 60 min each to smooth out the surface or just sorta trim em up and leave 'em be. I left it be as I fully intend for this to be a gaming force and I am gonna try to relax a little with the painting standard on this stuff and try to get it table ready quickly. I would seriously only rate the casting quality at around a 5-6 / 10. That is unfortunate.

Price wise. Man, $310 calhouns is no joke. I sure wouldn't say I was impressed at the volume of resin I got for the cash, but I wouldn't say it was terrible either. value for money seems like I'd put it at around a 6/10 as well. Also since I did SFA for research before purchasing (sometimes you just gotta do shit, then ponder after!) I'd guess I need to invest another $100 or so to get to a 2K army. I don't know if this is ahead or behind the dollar to point value curve for armies in the game but there it is anyway.

So I was NOT blown away by the casting quality or volume of resin to my dollar value. Do I feel it was worth it? Sure do, and I will buy more for my existing army and likely a second army as well. I just wanted to put a post up with my initial thoughts out of fairness to anyone looking at buying some of this new game. I don't know if Eric feels the same way but I'd like to hear if his mini's came in a similar condition to mine or not.

So it seems that the game cost is below what an investment from scratch would be to play Warhammer (either flavour) but more than a Flames of War army. So it's in the middle, maybe a little closer to the GW cost of things. I wil get to painting and post up some of what it looks like painted and talk about the individual mini's a little more for those interested.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Eric what armies did you buy?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:24 pm

I've got a Shaltari army and UCM force. But I'm having Blue Table Painting do them up for me, so I can't comment on the quality of the resin or the miniatures yet, as I don't have them in hand.

I likely won't have them until mid January.

UCM Army
Battle: 1993/2000 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1993/2000 pts]
    • Field Command [567 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(General) [248 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Squad Leader) [143 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor(+Missile Pods) [176 pts]

• Armored Formation [495 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor(+Missile Pods) [176 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: Sabre(Squad Leader), 5x Sabre, 2x Condor [319 pts]

• Legionnaire Corps [214 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
      • Falcon Squad: Falcon [54 pts]

• Legionnaire Corps [214 pts]
      • Falcon Squad: Falcon [54 pts]

• Special Ordinance [257 pts]
      • Gladius Squad: 2x Gladius, Condor [149 pts]
      • Scimitar Squad: 2x Scimitar [108 pts]

• Air Wing [246 pts]
      • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]
      • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]
      • Seraphim Squad: Seraphim [112 pts]

Shaltari Army
Battle: 1996/2000 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1996/2000 pts]
    • Gate Group [316 pts]
      • Gaia: Gaia [76 pts]
      • Eden Gates: Eden [45 pts]
      • Haven: Haven [15 pts]

• Court of Elders [452 pts]
      • Coyote: Coyote(Warchief) [205 pts]
      • Ocelot Squad: Ocelot [95 pts]
      • Yari Squad: 2x Yari(+Light Ion Cannon), Yari(+Microwave Gun) [76 pts]
      • Yari Squad: 2x Yari(+Light Ion Cannon), Yari(+Microwave Gun) [76 pts]

• Swordpoint [228 pts]
      • Tomahawk Squad: 3x Tomahawk [114 pts]
      • Tomahawk Squad: 3x Tomahawk [114 pts]

• Warrior Clan [192 pts]
      • Braves: 2x Braves [64 pts]

• Warrior Clan [192 pts]

• Warfist [200 pts]
      • Jaguar Squad: Jaguar [100 pts]

• Warfist [200 pts]

• Arrowhead [216 pts]
      • Warspear Squad: Warspear [108 pts]
      • Warspear Squad: Warspear [108 pts]

I've started picking up N-scale terrain. Cheap shit from Japan is pretty easy to find.

Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:18 pm

I still like the miniatures, but the casting is not good. Whoever did the casting for Spartan Games is amazing, the Dystopian Wars stuff I have is ridiculous.

I look forward to seeing some Blue Table stuff looks like in the hand. I'm always skeptical of painting services until I see them up close!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:23 pm

My instructions were to paint the UCM like this:

And the Shaltari like this:

With the observation domes painted like this:

They're using Golden Acrylics colour travel and interference lenticular paints, so they should actually get the weird pattern effects.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:28 pm

I was very much considering the top camo pattern for the PHR stuff I got. But then I decided to go with a deserty DAK scheme. 'Cause I always wanted to paint an Afrika Korps army but I hate WWII desert warfare so this was a good opportunity. Look forward to seeing that Shaltari scheme.

I might have to pick up some Scourge stuff just so there is some of it in the city if I ever get to really playing the game.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top