Winter 2012/2013 League Reporting Thread

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Winter 2012/2013 League Reporting Thread

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I don't own one. The Den never stocks one. If they did that would mean I had to paint 13 more minis instead of 12. So many negatives for a BSB!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Always take a bsb I say!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 pm

grrr. Now you are making me want to buy one... You just want me to keep playing Wood Elves, so you can continue to beat on me...
Sad

update: I have one on order with the Den... Now I have 13 minis to finish... Shocked My poor Tomb Kings are waiting in dark boxes...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:09 pm

You could mount your bsb on a giant eagle, then you'd only have 12 models to paint...

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:53 pm

nathanr wrote:You could mount your bsb on a giant eagle, then you'd only have 12 models to paint...

Very interesting thought... Would the range on the bsb increase from 12" to 18" for being on a monstrous mount? If so, this is a very good idea. Can keep up with the melee units and not be stuck in my Glade Guard unit mostly useless. I would have to convert the mini but I think I could make it work. You think he would be too squishy?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Needs to be a "Large Target" to give 18" range. I was actually thinking Nathan may help with the Wood Elves. Honestly, I think your success rate will go up with more 8th experience and list tweaking.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 pm

I sure hope so Don.

After playing Nathan last night and talking tactics, I have made a couple of lists that I think are an improvement to my previous ones. The two lists I made up tonight are totally different from each other, each having different magic lores and totally different tactics so I can mix it up and not be predictable. Both lists also have an answer to some units that cause me serious grief in 8th edition.

I still have no answer to a heavy flaming/magic attack based army. I get no ward saves or regen saves against this, and most of my army get no armor saves to start with. So they rip through me like a knife through butter. For example Darren uses the Engine of the Gods standard in his lists, and that thing cannot be dispelled. When he does 'The Burning Alignment', every turn against my Treekin, because they are forest spirits, it does STR 5 hits, no armor save, and though it does not say they are magical attacks, because it is in the magic phase, I think they are likely considered magic attacks so there also wouldbe no ward saves (but he plays it so I get a ward save because he is a good guy, though I think they don't). So wound my Treekin on a 4+ and no saves every turn (I lose my 4+ armor save, and 5+ ward) and he can cast that every round in the magic phase before combat. Dryads are dying like mad on 3+ wounds. That is just one example. Salamanders are another, but I can usually intercept them with Dryads or shooting. All other armies have some item that does serious stuff to my forest spirits. Whether they be flaming War Machines that do not need line of sight, flaming banners, or every damage spell in the game which I get no save against... There is an amazing number of counters to the Wood Elf army available to everyone.

I really want to enjoy my Wood Elves, while I am busy painting my Tomb Kings up. I don't like playing non painted armies, so I don't plan on playing TK until a list is fully painted. So I have quite a few months of Wood Elves to suffer through. I am trying to make the best of a bad situation.
Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 am

Well, there's no denying that WE's aren't winning many tournaments right now, but they can show up and represent sometimes.

Dunno. Maybe it's inspiration to finish your TK's OR start Skaven like you were talking about. They would be, By far, the most competitive army you would own.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 am

Dom and I had two games over the holidays. First dawn attack which dom got a victory. Second was battle for the pass in which I got a massacre after Dom made a terrible turn 6 choice and my dice got hot.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Played a non-league game with Bob and his new VampireCounts army over the holidays. GraveGuard are tough motherf****kers. Managed to score a minor victory with my Orcs, mangler and squigs were the stars of this one.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Played against Kelly (new fellow) and his Warriors in a non league game last night. By the time it was my turn 3, I only had a Necrosphinx left on the table slowly crumbling away. I extended my hand as Kelly only lost his Hellcannon (Go-go Casket!) and a few dogs. He Curbed stomped the TK in his first Warriors game ever!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:24 pm

played a game vrs darren, he won a crushing victory, not fully painted . and then a game vrs trevor where i got a crushing victory he was fully painted

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Our game was so close. Came down to one combat... Was a really good game. Both sides had barely any models left on the field.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Dom and I had another two games aboit a week ago where we traded massacres. Our armies are building some serious animosity

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:11 am

In a non-league match, our little crew out here in Asquith add another to the fold. in a 2v2 battle, me and Ethan battled Jarrod and Evan with me and Ethan coming out the winners. Evan has rounded up some Deamons and will continue to grow his army and we will teach the game we all enjoy.
All not painted, crushing victory for me and Ethan, good times, and no beers.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Great! Keep getting them some games in.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 am

On the 12th in the spirit of paint day I had 2 games! First off was a high elf civil war against Jarod. It was pretty back and forth with both of our swordmaster units doing what they do best but in the end it was a victory for me. I was fully painted while Jarod was not and it was not a ladder challenge.

Next up was a nail-biter with Carson. We rolled blood or glory which Carson promptly forgot. He only had 5 break points so literally all I had to do was kill his general so I spent the first few turns goading him into a charge and then the last several turns was spent with our generals locked in a challenge. My High Elf Prince could not get a wound past his ward save for anything, luckily my ward save was equally good so it was largely a very impressive pillow fight until the black orc on a wyvern decided to pack it up and run for the hills. I was unable to catch him and my general then died as his horse tripped on a tree root (dangerous terrain). Carson then mopped up my final few banners for the win. We were both fully painted and it was not a ladder match.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:49 pm

I keep forgetting to report games...

Played against Justin and his Orcs and Goblins (Another new guy!) Thought I was going to lose early in the game as my dice rolled poorly (to me anyways) and thought I was done for. By the end of the game, one good casket phase (Man, I love that thing) and a decent magic phase in turn 5 mostly sealed the game in my favour. By turn 6 there was barely any models left on the table, but mine counted for a lot of points. He stole 1595 from me and I got 2400+ from him. I will mention that he didn't have Manglers or Doomdivers. Still amazed at how many characters O&G can put into a list.

I charged my Necrosphinx into his Giant knowing that it wasn't the thing to do but "just wanted to see". Rolling Eyes In 4 Combat turns he rolled Scream and Bawl, which was actually ok as he rolled Thump with club on the 5th round and beat the ever-lovin Jebus out of the Sphinx. (8 auto wounds?) Even though the Necro has Heroic killing blow, chasing large targets isn't its job. With init 1 and Large targets denying Thunderstomp, they really are best for infantry unit flanks.

Justin lives in Regina, but he'll be out to Moose Jaw with Rob and his Beastmen on Feb 9-10.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Darren and I played a non-league friendly game. The scenario was the one where you have to kill their banners and General. Of course both of us forgot this by turn 2. By Turn 5 everything was looking good, then we remembered what the scenario was... Uh oh, I suddenly went from winning to almost lost the game. Then in turn 5 I lost my General, BSB and a standard... We played another round for fun, and by end of turn 6, his army was wiped out, except for his 4 trolls. I still had about 1300 points on the table.

must... remember... objective... Shocked

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 am

I only managed 1 game yesterday. My elves faced off against Don's Tomb Kings. I effectively shut down his magic phase and shot his necropolis knights down to manageable numbers. At the bottom of turn 6 his lone model surveyed the battlefield and the angry units of elves arrayed against him and promptly crumbled into the sand.

Crushing victory for me. Both of us were fully painted and it was not a ladder challenge.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 pm

I managed 2 games, scored 2 minor victories against Trevor and Frank , Only Trevor was fully painted in our matches. Ladder match vs Trevor.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 pm

How'd everyone else manage yesterday? Thanks Trevor for hosting, I'll pick up my table and terrain sometime this week if there's an evening that works for you.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Had 2 games. First one Nathan's High Elves destroyed any evidence that Tomb Kings even existed. At the beginning of turn 6, the only thing left was my High Lich Priest general staring at Swordmasters, Spearmen and a Mounted Prince. I rolled my crumble test and it came up 12. My general then exploded in a spiteful puff of sand. Seemed a fitting end actually.

My second game was against Trevor and his Woodies. We rolled Blood and glory and both forgot until Trevor realised after his generals unit with BSB was killed by Necropolis Knights.

One crushing defeat and won victory. All armies involved were painted.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:00 am

nathanr wrote:How'd everyone else manage yesterday? Thanks Trevor for hosting, I'll pick up my table and terrain sometime this week if there's an evening that works for you.

I am off work and painting Monday and Tuesday. Come any time.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 am

I'll stop by after work today, say around 4:30 or so if that works for you.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top