Speedy Dwarfs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Speedy Dwarfs?

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Sorcerer Prophet with: level 4 upgrade; Black Hammer of Hashut; Enchanted Shield; Talisman of Preservation; and Lore of Hashut - 385

Bull Centaur Taur'uk with: Blackshard Armour; great weapon; and Crown of Command - 220

Infernal Castellan with: BSB upgrade; great weapon; The Mask of the Furnace; and Luckstone - 205

31 Infernal Guard with: full command; and Banner of Swiftness - 419
10 Infernal Guard with: full command; Fireglaives; and Naptha Bomb on Champ - 206

6 K'daai Fireborn - 330
3 Bull Centaurs with: standard; musician; and Standard of Discipline - 180
Deathshrieker Rocket - 100

K'daai Destroyer - 325
5 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders with: musician - 65

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedy Dwarfs?

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 pm

I don't know enough about the chaos dwarfs to really give an opinion but this list seems to have some of everything. You've got your big block of infantry, some monstrous infantry and cavalry, strong characters, magic, shooting and supporting units. By the names of the units alone it sounds terrifying to face!

From the title of the thread I was expecting a discussion on how regular dwarf armies can be surprisingly fast but this actually seems like it is a legitimately fast army that can take the fight to wherever you want on the table.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Mark 2 already (I only posted Mark 1 so I could send the link to SmithF on the Warhammer forum for help with it):

Sorcerer Prophet on Bale Taurus with: Black Hammer of Hashut; Charmed Shield; Talisman of Preservation; Lore of Hashut; and level 4 upgrade - 610

Infernal Castellan with: great weapon; BSB upgrade; The Mask of the Furnace; and Luckstone - 205

32 Infernal Guard with: full command; and Banner of Swiftness - 431

20 Hobgoblins with: standard; and musician - 102

20 Hobgoblins with: standard; and musician - 102

6 K'daai Fireborn - 330

3 Bull Centaurs with: standard; and musician - 165

Deathshrieker Rocket - 100

K'daai Destroyer - 325

Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Is there a bsb in this version? It might be something you'll wish upuhad, especially in a blood& glory scenario and 2 units of hobgoblins holding precious standards.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 pm

The Castellan is still a BSB.

Updated to show that.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 pm

version 2 looks pretty solid. No real wastage on points there. The Hobs will be good tarpits for a turn or two to hold down some enemy units or to protect your warmachines (don't forget they have throwing knives in the off-chance they are recieving a charge!!). You are within your % limits for composition and the characters look solid too. You've also got the right idea with musician only for the wolf riders, and putting champions in the hobgoblins is kind of a waste of points, so good job leaving it out. Your Castellan with the BSB and mask + luckstone will really aid that unit too, not to mention he's stubborn, so there's very little chance of that unit ever fleeing.

And yeah... Lv4 on Taurus with LoH... plus the black hammer. Great combo. And if you can get Ash Storm, between the hammer and your K'daai you'll be raedy to decimate!!

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm thinking that my 3000 point ToonCon wood elf list would be hard-pressed to deal with this. Of course I also think my 3000 point list is pretty soft.

I think the weakest part of your list is the hobgoblins but they give you some extra infantry models on the table for not a lot of points so they don't have to be really hard. They soak up some hits that would otherwise be killing valuable dwarfs.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Do you have the book so that your opponent can read it?

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Yup.

Gorgeous book. Have Monstrous Arcanum as well. Forgeworld is really hitting the ball out of the park with Warhammer Forge.

In fact, I am not sure I'd let any of you put your grubby hands on it though. Maybe I'll bring gloves with it.
Wink

The Hobgoblins are definitely the weakest link. They give my opponents targets to shoot at with bow fire. The Hobgob cav is pretty essential though.

Not convinced about the Hobgob infantry. But they are extra deployment drops, and you don't get many Iron Guard for 200 points.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 am

Do you have the models for this army or are you still in the planning/proxying phase? Are you bringing them to the tournament on Saturday?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:35 am

I don't have the models yet.

I have played about 50-60 games on Universal Battle with Chaos Dwarfs, so this is what I've hit on for now.

They're going to be my next project. Likely aiming for the new year.

I have put money down with the 2 Black Dragons (http://www.the2blackdragons.com/html/black_dragons_english_htm.html), to sculpt my Destroyer based on this concept art from Guild Wars 2:

The estimated delivery date for that thing is early December, and it will be approximately 24cm tall. I'll be having it delivered straight to Golem Painting Studios, and I'll get them to buy the rest of the army from FW for me around the same time. I'll also be getting them to get me some extra stuff, because I can't seem to keep my mind made up with the Chaos Dwarfs.

I've got Golem working on my Empire army comprised of Perry Miniatures historical Samurai models right now. Those should be arriving soon.

I'll be bringing the Daemons to the tourney. Small chance I might bring the Tomb Kings.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 am

Cool! That concept art is very bad-ass, if they can come up with something that resembles that it should fit in well with the fireborn models from Forgeworld.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 pm

I noticed the Tau'ruk disappeared. Not working out?

I like the second list, closer to what I had in mind myself. I don't think the hobgoblin core is an issue as they don't cause panic which you could consider built into their points, which I find reasonable anyways. After your thoughts about the Taurus though I'm surprised its still in the list.

I still feel an offensive IG unit is more usable. Hand weapon/shield just means you're fighting not to lose. Great weapons means you're fighting to win. Stubborn goes a long way I'm sure.

After your artillery has done all it can do what happens to the IG when they're in combat? I'd like a unit to be nervous about charging them. All theory I'll admit.

Love your pic of the big boy. Not impressed in the slightest at Forge Worlds offering - which is the nicest thing ill say about it.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:08 pm

The Tauruk was amazing. He could hold down a flank all by himself.

The problem is a distinct lack of points.

The Iron Guard have simple shields because they are my anvil. My Fireborn/Destroyer/Taurus/Centaurs are the hammers.

The Taurus came back because of conversations I had with SmithF. With list 1, if I lose the Destroyer early, I am reduced to playing 3 block Warhammer with a disadvantage. With the Taurus, fragile though he may be, I have another legitimate threat. Sure I won't throw him against 3+ ward save chosen, or an Ogre Deathstar, but he is a fairly capable unit, assuming he doesn't get shot to pieces first. And as to the last, I have a plan for that. I think I can keep him safe from cannons now.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Did you ever get that necrotitan (or whatever its called) from the 2 black dragons? I'd be interested in seeing the final product. I'd actually be interested in seeing some of the painting commissions too if you have any finished.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 pm

I'll bring some with me this weekend, and the Heirotitan.

It is not painted yet.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top