40K Ork Guy project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

40K Ork Guy project

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Now that summer is winding down I want to get back on the painting horse. I have picked up the brush pretty infrequently over the last couple months and I am incapable of doing things I used to take for granted. I am going to try to get back into shape and paint up an Ork mini with some Kromlech stuff (head and backpack) 'cause I like painting Orc's of all varieties. I have a picture in my mind of what I want this mini to look like when I am done which always makes it easier to work on and most importantly makes it easier to finish. It won't involve much in the way of flashy colours and most of what I am hoping to put on their are colours I used to be pretty comfortable painting. The purpose of this thread is pretty self indulgent. I just want to track the progress in steps and record what I do right and what I do wrong. I find putting up a couple threads helps me keep motivated and any advice and tips I get are always appreciated.

There was a time when I did fairly well in Online comps over on WAMP and a few other painting sites. I haven't put anything up that's managed to crqack the top ten or sometimes even the top half of a comp in well over a year. I'd like to spend the winter pushing myself so I hope this first mini goes well. Sorry for the ramble. Here's the start point...

I kept the left arm off so I could work with less space restrictions on the inside of the gun, right arm, and chest.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 40K Ork Guy project

Post  Carson on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Good stuff, a real indepth step by step would be great to learn with!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm liking forward to seeing this too. Good to see you painting again Scott!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:48 am

A lot of work to the base and started blocking in some colours. Boots mostly finished and the pants are near there. The pants are German Fieldgrey highlighted up with deck tan then some ivory in a spot or two. Boots are my usual brown leather.

Base was basecoated Stone grey (The colour the cement blocks are) then washed heavily with a ton of pigment washes which I sealed in quite heavily after. Took a long time to get the cement colour back in the bricks as I washed them too. The gears and barbed wire will be basecaoted in GW dark flesh and brought up to bright orange for a rusty look I think with a bunch of bluw shading I think.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:32 am

Progress but lots to do. from the crappy pics I can tell I really need to smooth out the transition on the left knee. Mostly pleased with how the base is turning out. I tried adding some metalic to the edges and not sure I liked it. Might leave it all bright orange.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:10 pm

I like the metallic edges, it's just a hint but it makes the base a little more interesting. If you really want to go crazy try picking out a few of the larger grains of sand with a little lighter brown or gray to make them look like pieces of broken concrete or something.

The highlighting on the left knee (and below) should be re-visited a bit to try to make the blend a bit smoother, also the inside of the fold above the boot should maybe be a bit darker? Not sure but that's what I'd do.

I like how this is shaping up, really like the wrapping on the gun barrel and the boots.

If you really want a wow-factor you could add a shell casing exiting the gun's ejection port on the side, maybe try to create a muzzle-flash at the barrel as well. I think it's the little details like that which will make your models stand out. It isn't something that would be on a gaming mini since it would fall off or break the first time you went to move it but for a display piece it shows that you put in a lot of time and thought into it. I think that every model that you spend that much time on should have some sort of customization modelling-wise that makes it unique.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Good points about the shading, will do both suggestions. As far as the gun barrel idea, I like it! I won't do it on this mini. I will add some shell casings to the base but on the next one I do like this I will add the muzzle flash (A company makes those for cheap) and I will see about some shell casings from the gun too. Thanks for the suggestions!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:14 pm

The end is in sight! Better then half way done now. Worked a little on the left knee and got the backpack mostly done. I hope the left knee looks better in the pics, I am more happy with it in the hand then previously. Thanks to Nathan for pointing it out and making sure I go back and fix 'er up!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 pm

The leg looks good, much better than before. The bedroll looks unfinished, I'm guessing that it is, it's a bit of a focal point so it should have some extra attention. Maybe a polka-dot patch? That might give you an excuse to add a splash of color.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:02 pm

My goal is to have the bedroll not be much of a focal point. I am keeping it drab and dull. My thought is to keep the only real colour on the mini to the face. Blue eye lenses and some red on the tooth pattern thingy on the gas mask. Theory being if everything else is painted in the sorta scheme I got going that it will help pull focus to the face. The polka dot idea is a good one but I am aiming to have the Ork look more like a regular military mini. I did buy some Mexican Ork bandito accessories so I do think I'll use the polka dot idea on one of them soon. It's a good idea I think! Thanks for your response Nathan. Yes, the bedroll is merely basecoated with a wash put on for the first bit of shading. When finished I want it to look very similar to the main colour of the uniform only slightly different. If that makes any sense. If I don't like the way that turns out I will likely do it up in a khaki colour.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:01 pm

what was your tech on the gun wrapping. Its really well defined and I would sure like to make mine like that. The bedroll needs some form of highlights. \right now it looks unfinished in comparison to the rest of the gear.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Bedroll is just basecoated with a single glaze of US olive drfab for shading. lots of work to do on that part yet.

Gun wrap, rope, and the shit on the top of the boots is all done the same.

Basecoat of VMC Green Brown
Plenty of layer of shading of a mix I have of 1:1:1 GW Badab black, Devlan Mud, and Water. Probably 4-5 layers of this.
Start redefining the base colour on the top 2/3 of the wrap.
I did about 3-4 step of adding some VMC Buff to the Green brown and just keep applying it on less and less of the wrap focusing on the top. Finish with pure buff and then a few spots of VMC Ivory.
Also used thinned Badab Black to redefine between the wraps. Kind of like black lining each of the strands of cloth. And used the thinned badab black around the bottom on the part of the wrap on the inside of the gun between the gun and his chest to shade it down some more.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:22 pm

So I would call this guy done, but I want to sit on him for a week and think if I need anything else. Also if anyone sees any glaring errors that need fixing I'd love to hear them. Things I see I need to fix...

-Skull emblem in the middle of the helment looks awful. Needs to be redone
-The rim around the gas mask goggles needs more definition. I will broaden the black line around the lenses esp. at the bottom to try and make it stand out more.

Anyone see anything needs a fixin' or more work?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:19 pm

I like it, top notch....now add it to the Orc commisar you painted and then keep going. Another 60 or so and you'd have an ork army. I dare you.......I'll even do a deathguard army to match ya.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top