Octocon tourny lists!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Octocon tourny lists!

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

cmemate wrote:
My worst Warhammer experience is sitting down for a fun game and running into 17 power dice, not fun:(

But the 14 that squalie had in his original list is ok?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm

I would say so, yes.

For my army, I am considering switching up my kings swag to instead take the Cloak of Dunes and Destroyer of Eternities.
It would let me chop up enemy characters slightly easier, as my incantations of smiting would be much more devastating.

It would lose me the Crown of Kings, so his incantations would be less powerful, and the Scorpion Armour, so he wouldn't hang around long in losing combats, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Anyone care to chime in on that?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Octocon

Post  cmemate on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Srry I thought he had 12...alot but not 17 vs. Dark Elves / Dark Magic

Anyway I am am a Wood Elf player and am still fighting with Waywatchers to take or not to take.... What is your guys experience with them or against them. 7 with killing blow for me seldom seems to there points back as they are a big magic target and are either shot up or chased down.
Killing blow is good but with only 7- 8 they just don't seem to be worth it in my experience. What r your feelings on them?
thx cmemate

cmemate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Waywatchers are a great unit but they are a bit inconsistant. Sometimes they win the game for you and sometimes they are a waste of points. It all depends on where you deploy them and your opponent's army. I've found that a unit of 5-7 is big enough to make a huge difference (if all goes right) but still small enough that it doesn't matter too much if they do nothing (if all goes wrong). If nothing else they are a distraction for your opponent, forcing him to either deal with them (thus committing a unit that might be better spent elsewhere) or ignore them (thus letting them do whatever they want). Their worst threat is magic and template weapons that don't have to roll to hit so try to avoid that as much as possible. Other shooting shouldn't be much of a problem since they have the camoflage rule (-1 to hit), they skirmish (-1 to hit) and they will likely be in soft cover (-1 to hit).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Empire list for octocon

Post  Ddodge on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:18 am

Hello- I'm Dean,from Regina, and I've got a list i've never played, but I like the models and units so they are all in. Feel free to poke gigantic holes in it and slash it to ribbons. I don't usually play in lots of tournaments as I like to do campaign games and narrative games more often.

Arch Lector, Aldreds casket, meteoric armour, great weapon, dispell scroll ~ 220
Luthor Huss- ward save, causes fear ~ 180
Warrior priest doomfire ring, great weapon ,etc ~130
Captain-battle standard- griffon standard ~140

One flank- 23 halberdiers, 10 crossbow detachment, 10 militia detachment ~294
21 great swords ~240
10 flagellents ~100
20 flagellents ~200
5 pistoliers with musician ~113
24 swordsmen ~169
5 huntsmen ~50
6 knights inner circle , ~200
5 knights banner duty ~165
total ~2200
with the priests I have 6 dispell dice and 2 scrolls
casting(attempting) 4 weak power level spells a turn, plus a bound spell and stealing some spells with aldreds casket

So besdies the utter complete lack of a serious missile threat and a weak magic phase what else do you notice?
Thanks in advance,
Dean

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:50 am

RickyDMMontoya wrote:I would say so, yes.

For my army, I am considering switching up my kings swag to instead take the Cloak of Dunes and Destroyer of Eternities.
It would let me chop up enemy characters slightly easier, as my incantations of smiting would be much more devastating.

It would lose me the Crown of Kings, so his incantations would be less powerful, and the Scorpion Armour, so he wouldn't hang around long in losing combats, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Anyone care to chime in on that?

I don't think the destroyer of eternities is all that great, for 70(?) pnts. Can he take the flail, or is someone else rockin' that? The cloak of dunes I found mutch moire usefull on my Hierophant to get him outa trouble, or into better position to bring the units across the board if things are going well. I have noe experience with the scorpion army but I found the crown of kings to be indespensible. It makes your incantations WAY more effective, increasing the odds that your opponent must use 2 dispel dice each incantation or let them go.

I've never cared about the incantation of smiting, It's all about movement baby! with your chariots having an effective charge of 24" and your infantry getting 12" of range from incantations when I played all I cared about was moving my army faster. So I say keep it as first suggested.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:43 pm

Hey Dean. We'll your troops choices look ok, pretty solid defensively. Couple of things with the characters. The casket is fun but you have to be in range to use it....you probably won't have to many casters in range of your archlector if hes on foot, also I don't think warrior priests can take dispel scrolls. Also, your bsb should have some better protection as they get picked on first....at least by experienced players!
I've played Empire for a few years and I find that you have to have some shooting, without it your enemy will hit your lines intact.....which is bad new for humans.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:51 pm

So I've finally settled on my army list for OctoCon:

25 skeletons, FC
25 skeletons, FC
41 ghouls.....led by

1 vampire, Summon Ghouls bloodline (+1 to cast invocation on ghouls), flayed hauberk (2+armour save)

1 vargulf

23 skeletons, FC, cursed pennant of mousillon (for fluff only.....it causes wounds to the unit that captures it)
led by

1 wight king, mounted, bsb

11 blackknights, FC...led by

1 Vampire Lord, dreadknight and master of the black arts bloodline (+2 powerdice), helm of commandment (gives his weapon skill to one unit in range)

So thats it, small and compact. Looks pretty tame compared to most Vc lists that you might see but I think it has some real power behind it. Not many choices for an opponent. I'll place the skeletons with bsb up from to draw the initial attack.....backed up with the helm and nice combat resolution they should be able to handle almost any charge. counterattack will come from either skeletons or the blackknights depending on the target.

flankers will consist of the huge ghoul unit and the vargulf. These should cause big problems for most oppoenents.

Magic casting is pretty strong allowing me to replenish units that have taken casulties.

thoughts?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

WE for Tourney

Post  cmemate on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Here is my list for the upcoming tourney...for all of you with Woodi elf experience, pick away!

The BIG Green Machine

Treeman Ancient
Cluster of Radiants, Annoyance of Netlings 375

Spellsinger Lvl 2 - 260 or 245
Glamourweave, Unicorn,DS,Deepwood Sphere OR Glamourweave,Unicorn, Moonstone of the Hidden Ways

Spellsinger Lvl 2 - 175
DS,DS

Standard Alter - 158

GG - 2 Units of 10 - 240 pts
GR - 1 unit of 5, w/musc. - 129 pts
Dryads - 1 unit of 9 - 108 pts

Wardancers -1 unit of 7 - 126 pts.
WR - 1 Unit of 6 w/ std/War Banner - 199
Tree Kin - 1 unit of 4 - 260 pts.
WW - 1 unit of 7 - 168 pts.

cmemate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:49 pm

what does WW stand for? I can't offer any comments, 'cause I hate wood elves. Just curiuos.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wood Elf Army List

Post  cmemate on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:35 pm

WW - Waywatchers
WR - Wild Riders (I new a girl that remindered me of this once.....aww forget it) Twisted Evil

cmemate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:54 pm

cmemate wrote:WR - Wild Riders (I new a girl that remindered me of this once.....aww forget it) Twisted Evil

Kind of like the girl who reminded me of "Great Unclean One"

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 pm

The 'standard alter' doesn't have a battle standard does he? Because he can't. I'm assuming he is the standard version with the Hail of Doom arrow, Great weapon and helm of the hunt. Am I right?

I like the list, I'm curious about the unicorn-mounted spellsinger. Do you put her in a unit or is she by herself? Have you used one before? I've never done it before because it doesn't seem like it would be worth the points.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Seems Ok to me other than the "annoyance of nettlings". Nothing pisses off an opponent when he finds out he can only hit you on 6's. One of the biggest complaints I have with the WoodElf army.....in a long list.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Carson wrote:Seems Ok to me other than the "annoyance of nettlings". Nothing pisses off an opponent when he finds out he can only hit you on 6's. One of the biggest complaints I have with the WoodElf army.....in a long list.

Nettlings isn't that bad. It is ANNOYING! And you know something is too good when every wood elf army has it (Hail of doom arrow, nettlings). I actually find it in the spirit of the wood elf army a little bit, unlike that DE item ward save thingy!

Back to the army, what's the plan Stan? How are you going to win games? From first glance it doesn't have enough shooting to do that thingy, not enough infantry or cav to break the enemy, and not overly magical assaulty. Not hackin' here because I know less than NOTHING about wood elves, or how to win with them, but I am curious.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:11 pm

The annoyance is a nasty thing to put on a treeman ancient, but you can still kill it with heavy cavalry, war machines other monsters (basically anything that can't issue or meet challenges) so it isn't really that cheap.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:38 pm

nathanr wrote:The annoyance is a nasty thing to put on a treeman ancient, but you can still kill it with heavy cavalry, war machines other monsters (basically anything that can't issue or meet challenges) so it isn't really that cheap.

And let's not forget you can still REFUSE challenges. People only seem to remember that rule when they're fighting my tooled up Great Unlcean One.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:03 pm

Exactly. And anyone who has played a wood elf army knows that the Treeman Ancient is going to have that so it shouldn't be much of a suprise!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:54 pm

No you guys are right, but its the whole idea that you need 6's to hit the sucka. Much the same as the dark elf pendant....real annoying!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:41 pm

I've played this list twice, and it has faired MUCH better than my previous one. It has two victories; one over Dark Elves (sorry, Carson) and one over Lizardmen. It's legend has grown so much that a certain Wood Elf player is in hiding *cough -Alex, cmemate, cough*

Doombull, hvy armour, sword of might
brayshaman, scroll, lvl 2
herd 7/9, full command
brayshaman, scroll, lvl 2
herd 7/9, full command
4 X chariots
5 Mino's, GW - Doombull unit
4 Mino's, GW
4 Mino's, GW
4 Mino's, GW
4X Fiend of Slaanesh
2 X 5 Warhounds.

Provided I can get this painted, which would sure help my Oct painting, this is basically the list I'll play. I may do 2 units of 4 Mino's and 3 units of 3, leaving the Doombull on his own, but I've liked how the Doombull unit has held up so far. Almost 2200 exactly.

Pick away, my friends, pick away....... Very Happy

Last edited by squalie on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:36 pm

Now this is a list I like. Killer in combat, nice magical defence and some casting, very very manouverable! You should do really we'll with this.
All around balance. Don't worry about the Darkelves......as they were not MY Darkelves.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Carson wrote:Now this is a list I like. Killer in combat, nice magical defence and some casting, very very manouverable! You should do really we'll with this.
All around balance. Don't worry about the Darkelves......as they were not MY Darkelves.

I agree with Carson, don't worry about dark elves.

This list looks like fun, is designed with a great theme in mind, and still has enough tooth to it to be challenging for your opponent.

I am concerned first and foremost with the amount of magic I expect to see in Calgary. Is it possible, or even helpful to change your minataurs into khorne dudes for dispel dice?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:15 pm

I could run a Khorne Mino army, but I remember when I played your daemons, Scott that I thought what I needed was just a little magic to make a difference. I have toyed with the idea of one more herd with Shaman, but the points sure are hard to come by.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Don, what did you wind up taking to the con? Also big congrats on making it to the finalist table for army appearance. A very well painted army indeed!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:22 pm

My plan was for the Khorne Mino army with a touch of Slaanesh. I had to paint enough for Rob's and Alex's army that I didn't have time to paint 9 Mino's, a Doombull (converted), 2 Spawn, or 1 Giant.

My list ended up being one out of necessity, as I just used the figs that I had painted. Not even close to what I wanted to take, but there's always next time. I went 1 and 3, and got owned against TK (Casket smeared my army) and O&G. I was having a pretty good game against HE's when I got called to put my army on the painting table. Never even got to finish the game. I should say that this list was recommended on the Herdstone, but after the tourny I completely disagree, and I knew it couldn't compete against the big-hitters. Magic did very little, except against the HE army. Beast cowers on the Dragon was gold.

Anyways, here's the list;

Wargor; Sword of Might;Pelt of the Dark Young (General)
Shaman lvl 2, scroll (herd 7/9 full command)
Shaman lvl 2, scroll (herd 7/12 full command)(Wargor herd)
GBS, Slaanesh; Crown of Horns;Chaos armour
4X Chariot (1 marked slaanesh)
2X5 Hounds
2X4 Mino, und, GW
2X5 Centigors, mus, shield
2 Spawn slaanesh
1 Giant, mutant monstrosity

2198 pts.
10 casting.
6 dispel.

You say anything about the power dice, Scott, and I'll kick you in the shins....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top