Tooncon Rules

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tooncon Rules

Post  GeoffKlassen on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:57 pm

WARHAMMER FANTASY
The tournamnet is looking for the best Warhammer General around! Arm your troops and dig in for a 3000-point, 3 round slugfest. There is no comp score in the Big Brawl, so break out all your toys! This is the tournament to see how far you can push your lists and how badly you can crush your opponents.

• Valid lists: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Chaos Dwarfs (The Legion of Azgorh/Tamurkhan), Daemons of Chaos, Dark Elves, Dogs of War/Regiments of Renown: Indy GT PDFs, Dwarfs, Empire, High Elves, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, & Wood Elves.
• The Warhammer Fantasy Battles 8th Edition Rules and all relevant Games Workshop Errata and FAQs will be used. • Each player must create a valid 3000 point army. That is the army that must be played for the entire tournament without modification. Note: Do NOT use Grand Army rules. Only 3 duplicate Special choices, and 2 duplicate Rare choices are allowed.
• Units, Special Characters and the Chaos Dwarfs (The Legion of Azgorh) army list from Tamurkhan: Throne of Chaos will be allowed in the Warhammer Fantasy Big Brawl. Players MAY NOT mix Warriors of Chaos/Daemons of Chaos and Chaos Dwarf units. Players fielding units from this book MUST have a copy of the book and it MUST be made available to your opponent at all times. You will NOT be allowed to field any models or units that you cannot produce the most current set of rules for.
• All players are expected be on their best behaviour.
. • The models used in your army should be WYSIWYG and painted to a 3-color minimum standard, but we do not want to discorage the new players so it wil not be banned.
• Special/Named Characters are allowed. This includes named unit champions.
• Dogs of War are NOT allowed in non-Dogs of War armies, per the Games Workshop FAQs.
• Dogs of War count as Suspicious Allies. Dwarfs of Chaos count as Forces of Destruction. • Rhinox Riders are NOT allowed.
• Each player must provide four (4) PRINTED, not handwritten, army lists, one for each of their opponents and one to be turned in at check-in to the judges.
• All points, stats, and items MUST be present on each army list and each unit entry.
• This will be a closed list environment, but you must provide your opponent with your army list at the end of the game.
• If your army contains Wizards, the Lore that each Wizard uses MUST be declared in their entry on the army list. If an item grants you knowledge of a spell from a Lore that you may pick (e.g., Book of Secrets, Ring of Volans), you must declare that on your army list as well. In the case of Grey Seers, you must declare how many spells that they will use from either the Skaven Lores. For example, “Grey Seer – 2 Spells from Lore of Ruin & 2 Spells from Lore of Plague.”
• Building rules are in effect per the main rulebook. • All forests are counted as Mysterious Forests and follow all rules outlined in the main rulebook.
• Wood Elves are allowed their free forests, however they must be of the appropriate size (no bigger than 6" in diameter), fully painted and complete with trees (no pieces of paper). This forest will be considered a normal forest and does not have to roll on the Mysterious Forests chart.

Spoke with the organizers and no one has spoken to them about running the tourney next month so I will be running it. Please refrain from the appluase... I have linked the main rules i will supply the scenarios soon. I will be using this as part of the masters tourney this year. Let me know if I missed something.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tooncon Rules

Post  decker_cky on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 am

Thanks for putting this together. 3000 pts will be different...that's for sure.

Regarding armylists, we should have the stats for all our units on it?

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Would be nice so you don;t have to go through your book every 5 minutes.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:27 am

What are the scenarios going to be Geoff? It would help when planning my army list.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm

just paid and told i am the mid point, so half full so far.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:55 pm

There will 3 rounds each 2.5 hours, the missions will be Meeting Engagement, Dawn Attack and Blood and Glory. Points will be awarded as follows.

17 for a win, 11 for a tie and 5 for a loss. for a total of 51
Painting will be scored as 10 point for 3 base colour, and upto 5 additional points shading, basing, highlighting, banners, and conversions.
Sportsmanship will also be out of 10 for each game to a max of 30.
There is no compostition to encourage special characters and monsters.
5 point will be awarded for army lists that are done neatly and correctly with all relevant info on the sheets.

For a grand total of 101.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:06 am

It had to be Blood or Glory didn't it Mad . Oh well, I'm not changing my list. Whoever plays me last can have the win, all you have to do is kill 2 squishy units or my general. I'll do my best to hide them though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Blood and glory is just the easy way of saying have more than 1 unit.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Its all good, its my choice to play MSU Wood Elves with no banners in 8th edition so I have to live with it Wink .

Anyway, despite saying that I wouldn't change my list I was forced to due to some wording in my army book and the solution I came up with actually sets me up better for that scenario. I'm actually now counting 6 for that scenario so I'm laughing - killing my T3 general doesn't end the game automatically anymore.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Looks good Geoff, Can't wait.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:58 am

I'd like to make a motion to change the event from 3000 points to 2500 points. My arguements are simple and intended with all due respect.

I only speak for myself, but I'm trying to paint up 2500 points of new army and I'm reluctant (or possibly unable) to paint 500 points extra that I may use only rarely - if ever.

Also, what are the odds of anyone consistently finishing a 3000 point game in a regular tournament round?

Simple as that and would like to hear others thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Don.

*edit* Looking at the homepage for Tooncon, I couldn't find a list of registered people for the event. How many are allowed and how many slots have filled? I paid my registration and have no confirmation for doing so. I also noticed that the 40k event is a regular 1500 point event. Just sayin is all......

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:31 pm

I kind of like 3000 pts, since it takes people out of the comfort level they have with 3000 pt lists. My 3000 pts isn't really any bigger of an army than my 2500 pt list, it just includes more expensive stuff in it.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:44 pm

I think Don has keyed in on two important points. In past tournies even finishing a game could be tight. A lot of games come down to turn 6 and if we are only getting to turn 4 or 5 I think we are cheating ourselves. Also in trying to draw new players who are less experienced and may mot know the game as well descions take longer and at 3 grand really puts pressure on them to obtain more models or bow out completly. While I enjoy games of any size my vote would be for 2500 as I am looking at army lists that can be hurried to get through all 6 turns.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:56 pm

The point isn't about 3000 point games in general, it's about 3000 point tournament games - and the painting involved if it's a new army. I'll agree that an extra 500 points isn't a whole army, but it can be a moderate change for some armies.

How many one day tournies (emphasis on tournament) have 3, 3000 point games?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:14 pm

I am in favor of the 3000 point level. I think that you raise some good points Don but they probably should have been raised earlier. I know that for myself, I have been busy modelling and building onto my wood elf army in order to have the models painted to be able to field 3000 points and I won't be able to use them if we move back down to 2500. I am guessing that there are others in the same boat and it wouldn't really be fair to negate that effort by changing the format 2 weeks out.

I know that 3000 points is a stretch for some people but I'd be willing to offer up the use of a 3000 point dwarf or bretonnians army if anyone just can't get the models together. That said, this tournament format is not favorable to beginners, especially with the tight time restrictions for games. There is open gaming during the rest of the weekend though and I'm sure that there will be more than enough opportunity for people to get games in.

I'm fine with whatever Geoff decides to go with, I'm just looking forward to playing some warhammer.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 pm

It actually doesn't matter anyways. I was reminded that I'll be in Regina for Russell Peters that night, that *I* even bought the tickets for. So I won't even be making this event.

Having said that, anyone want to buy my registration off of me?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:54 pm

The 3000 points is o stretch you army to the limit and to encourage special characters, each round is 2 1/2 hours so time is not a factor. 500 points is easy to make up, change you general or add an additional Mage, the points could add as little as 1 fig.

By the way Russell Peter has already told me warhammer is more important. Current registration I believe was 8 already, with a max of 16.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Is the registration for WFB all full up?

Edit:

Just realized it was under "Large Miniature Game" instead of one of the "day" options.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:47 pm

The 40k is also running 1500 point lists because the new edition came out recently and people are still getting the hang of it. Not to mention games are a bit longer now.

Typically it would of been 4 -1500 games or 3 -1750-2000 point games but Ryan decided to make it easy on everyone and have a more relaxed event this year.

Just wanted to offer some perspective. I think anytime you can break away from the norm is fun though... And having 3000 point armies on the field will sure look good.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Can someone bring me an extra Tomb Kings Wizard or something appropriate tomorrow? I left mine at home... Sad

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Gotcha covered man.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks Geoff.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:35 am

Cuh-maaaawn, what happened?!

Russell Peters was ok. Not awesome, just ok. Would have rather been at Tooncon.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 am

It was a good time, definitely better than Russell Peters. I learned that 3 stag-riding nobles in a unit of wild riders with the razor banner is not a good use of points. I kinda figured that but now I at least have the models if or when stag cavalry becomes a unit for the wood elves. I think Carson was the overall winner and Eric won best general. There was a good turnout with some new faces which was nice and promising for the upcoming league. Thanks Geoff for running a great tournament.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Good turnout for a great event.

The only quibble I have is that perhaps there was insufficient time for 3000 point games to be played. I ran into a severe time crunch in my first game, and only ended up getting 4 turns in. My opponent was new to returning to the game, so I don't fault him too much, but it would have been nice to have an extra half hour.

Games 2 and 3 went faster (and we would not have needed the extra time in either of them), but that's more an artifact of how those games went than anything else, and I know other tables were struggling with the time limit.

All in all, a good time, good to see all everyone, including a certain Mr. Radom.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top