Return to the tournament scene

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Return to the tournament scene

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 pm

So this year has saw a definite drop off in game activity and enthusiasim. Its too bad since we have a great community of players in the city with alot of hobby skill.

I'd like to get things rolling along again which will of course be easier with the end of summer approaching. The first thing we need to do is to get regular tournaments up and running again. Not only does this get people fired up for planning, building, painting, etc, but brings our community together.

Next, I'd like to challenge everyone to make an effort to attend events, stay active on the forum, and participate in the league as much as possible. Hey, I know everyone is busy, but if we all make it a priority to maintain our community we'll all benefit. Its not that hard to take 1 or 2 days a month to ensure we have a hobby to enjoy. Personally I think its pure bullshit when someone says they don't have the time. I have a family, a ranch to run as wellas working a second job as a mechanic and live 2 hours from the city. If I can find the time, everyone can.

Another point to work on would be all the former players we have out there. Saskatoon has a ton of players that need a shove to get back into the swing of things. Lets reach out and bring them back.

I'd like to get the ball rolling with a tournament. Are there any plans?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Return to the tournament scene

Post  decker_cky on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 am

I know for myself, with normal gaming I'm a lot more likely to play if there's a regular gaming time (tournament or not). If there was a day where people dropped in to play consistently (weekly, bi-weekly or monthly likely) I'd try to make that more often than not.

Another idea would be to follow Tooncon with another intro night (or do intros there). That's as good of a recruitment location as you can get. If you say "come by the Den next Sunday for our intro day if you want to play a game" or whatever, I'm sure we could get interest flowing again.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 am

I am still holding an event at my place sept 8th. All are welcome.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks Carson, I've sorta dropped the ball when it comes to setting up league nights recently. My summer has been crazy busy but as you said, that's not a very good excuse. I'm totally down for more tournament and introductory nights. I can't promise that I'll be able to run anything but I can definitely provide pre-built armies if someone wants to set up a demo or introductory night either at Tooncon or elsewhere.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm up for a paint day at the Den on a Sunday, especially at the end of golf season.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Personally I think its pure bullshit when someone says they don't have the time. I have a family, a ranch to run as wellas working a second job as a mechanic and live 2 hours from the city. If I can find the time, everyone can.

If that doesn't put things into perspective I don't know what would.

It's seemed a little dry here lately and it's surprising how little it takes to stir things up. It's not that my enthusiasm for the game has dropped and I think there's a stellar crew to game with in Saskatoon - every last one of you, and I mean it. I think for me it's just been "One of those Summers".

Heck, my wife and I have been half-joking about moving to Saskatoon as we love the city and I could game more. True story.

Last edited by squalie on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey, all good ideas.

Small point games are great fun and help to bring fringe players in. A paint day would be great too, I for one would like to learn how to blend properly and its amazing how much you can get painted when you devote a day to it. As to a regular gaming day/night, why don't we have a monthly games day at the den.....every 3rd Sat for example?

I'll be at Andre's fo sure, Can't wait.

I'm talking to myself as much as everyone else. I've missed a few events and have slacked off on blog posts and forum banter. As to a tournament......is there room to run a small one at the den before toonCon?

Oh...I got my first birdie this evening while golfing with the in- cheers laws

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:21 am

As to a tournament......is there room to run a small one at the den before toonCon?

There's always room for a small tournament. I'm in for whenever. Probably a friday nighter would be better for me than a full day tournament. The only weekend that doesn't work for me is the 7th/8th/9th of september.

I'm up for a paint day at the Den on a Sunday, especially at the end of golf season.

I'd definitely drop in for at least some of that, I might lose interest in painting after a while and pick up a game but that would be ok too.

As to a regular gaming day/night, why don't we have a monthly games day at the den.....every 3rd Sat for example?

I think that if we can set up a time that works for 3-4 people at first and keep consistent with it, other people will start to make the time to come out on those days and we'll end up with a regular gaming night/day. The problem is getting it to work those first few times. It kinda fell flat this summer when I tried to set it up for every other friday but I take most of the blame for that because I only really pushed for the first one and only one guy showed up so I gave up.

I am still holding an event at my place sept 8th. All are welcome.

Its things like this that make me happy that I play Warhammer in Saskatoon. Too bad I'll miss it but I'm sure a good time will be had by all who attend.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I tried to stir up interest in a tourney before tooncon but got apathy, I have been wanting one for a while now, so please lets get one going. Do we want to do a 1500 point tourney on a friday night or Saturday or Sunday?

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Saturday or Sunday works a lot better for me.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:42 pm

its like the field of dreams Geoff.....plan it and they will come. You never wait for overwhelming responses before you decide to plan something.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:45 pm

I accidentally let the campaign die too.

I think I will kick it back into gear, and maybe replace any players that won't be active in it, if there is interest.

(or maybe restart it?)

We'll see.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Would anybody be opposed to me organising a 1-day tourney about a month after tooncon? I had some fun ideas that I've wanted to get out there. It'd probably be 2400 pts.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:18 pm

If it's ETC rules (which I have no basis for, but simply springs to mind at 2400 points) I'm opposed to it on principle.

Otherwise, I am all for it.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 pm

No - ETC isn't Warhammer. 2400 pts is mostly to force people to tweak armies a bit, and to make it harder to fit 2 loaded lords in every army.

I have a few scenarios based on 6th edition scenarios that I wrote for a campaign I ran back in Vancouver the Summer before I moved out. Nothing off the wall, just very different feeling to the standard ones, though pretty balanced from what I saw. I'd post the scenarios shortly after tooncon so everyone knows what's going on.

I was also considering allowing storms of magic scrolls to be taken as rare choices, but I was going to throw that to a vote.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm

decker_cky wrote:No - ETC isn't Warhammer. 2400 pts is mostly to force people to tweak armies a bit, and to make it harder to fit 2 loaded lords in every army.

Phew. Right on brother. My opinion has always been to fight them over there, so we don't have to fight them over here.

I have a few scenarios based on 6th edition scenarios that I wrote for a campaign I ran back in Vancouver the Summer before I moved out. Nothing off the wall, just very different feeling to the standard ones, though pretty balanced from what I saw. I'd post the scenarios shortly after tooncon so everyone knows what's going on.

I was also considering allowing storms of magic scrolls to be taken as rare choices, but I was going to throw that to a vote.
I am very intrigued. And my vote is yes.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:40 pm

I'd be up for it

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:31 pm

What is ETC?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:47 pm

I just googled it and it is European Team Championship. It uses some crazy composition rules, way way more than we've ever used around here.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?p1jisyedcydjbr5

There's the current ETC ruleset.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm

ScottRadom wrote:What is ETC?

Not to be glib, but it's an abomination on Warhammer.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top