Squalie's Tomb Kings.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Squalie's Tomb Kings.

Post  squalie on Sat May 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Ok, thought it's about time that I started a new army, and since I can't make a decision to save my life I'm going to commit to Tomb Kings and see where I end up. I have a game plan and a paint scheme - and that's half the battle for me.

Anyways, here's my planned list (subject to change depending on my fickle nature Very Happy )

Lords
LvL 4, Heirophant
LvL 4, Light lore

Core
15 Archers, LvL 4 here
15 Archers, LvL 4 here
3 Chariots
3 Chariots
5 Horse Archers
5 Horse Archers

Special
5 Necropolis Knights, FC
5 Necropolis Knights, FC
3 Sepulchural Stalkers
3 Sepulchural Stalkers
3 Carrion

Rare
Necrosphinx (Looove the model)
Casket of Souls

So, I'm going to go Deep Purple and Jade Green accents throughout the army and plan to have a "Dry riverbed" look for basing and try to avoid the typical desert theme.

Here's the army waking up. Believe it or not, that's a whole army.:

Here's the bases and I'll explain how I settled on this version.

Since I wanted a dry bed look, I did some Google-Fu and found a product called "Crackle Paste". It isn't the stuff I wanted, but since the stuff I wanted was only available in Europe and I had an itch to start, I settled on the stuff you can find in an art store, but it didn't come without it's trial and error.

You have to put an adhesive layer on your bases and I found that my regular glue didn't hold up:

Once the glue dried, it simply lifted of like a sheet of skin. I then simply tried every glue I had on the table and experimented. I found that two worked, but gave different results:

I actually liked the smaller cracking at the time but noticed that you couldn't see it unless you had the base in hand. I went for the larger cracking as it was easier to notice the effect and glad I did so as I now like it better anyways.

The adhesive and product for the effect:

Keep in mind that the thickness of the layer is relative to the size of the cracking. The thicker the layer, the bigger the cracks. I was going to primer the bases Brown and drybrush them sand coloured, but didn't really like the effect and work involved. Carson suggested just using a wash and it's much easier and looks way better, so hat's off to Carson for that. I have some "Desert foliage" coming in the mail so I'll put some character on these when they arrive.

As an aside: Doing homework, I found that plants you find in the desert or arid areas are more green than one would suspect. Still, I'm going to tone it down a bit and put in a more "dry" look as the vivid Greens contrast a little too much with the models.

Here we go and more pics soon. Plan to put some hours in this weekend.

Last edited by squalie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Squalie's Tomb Kings.

Post  ScottRadom on Sat May 19, 2012 3:36 pm

If interested I have some cracked eareth resin bases from Dragon Forge. Lots of 20mm square, can't remember if I got any of the chariot ones or not. Probably not. This is them....

http://dragonforge.com/for%20sale%20images/dforge%20items%20for%20sale/Gaming%20bases/parched_wasteland_square_base/20mm%20square%20parched%20wasteland%201.jpg

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat May 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Awww crap - coulda' used those! Maybe I'll try a few and see how they work. I noticed that the 20mm didn't seem to crack like the larger bases (makes sense).

I think I'm up the evening of Friday the 25th.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sat May 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Looks bad-ass.

Most appealing part is the low model count xD

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Looks awesome.....can't wait for some pics of the color scheme.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 pm

LOTS of detail and highlighting work to do, but I thought I'd at least post some pictures to show progress. Anyone that tells you Tomb Kings are quick to paint is lying to you. Very Happy Almost intimidating with how much work there is left on figs that are "mostly painted". Rolling Eyes

Amazed at how these look totally different in person. They look much more bluish in the pictures.

Carrion

1st Knight unit

2nd Knight unit

Modified Casket. Don't like the original Tomb Guard and I'm using the casket Heirophant as my general.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:28 pm

It looks awesome but the camera sure didn't do your paint job any justice. I think your banners could use an offsetting color now that I see them all together. Can't wait to see them in action this weekend.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 pm

I know, the camera really changed the colours on everything. It just looks, Bleh....

I haven't done any highlights or anything yet. Lots. lots of work to do yet and I hope that's why it looks so drab. I'm thinking I should have waited to post pictures after I was finished. The risk you take posting works in progress I suppose...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:49 pm

I think they're looking good so far, pictures never do the models justice but it's always nice to see people making progress on their armies. I know it inspires me when I see people getting their painting done.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Posting WIPS is the best time to get feedback and to look at your work critically. I mean, you can look now and make a decision to add more highlights to it, change this or that. Once you've completed a mini and mentally moved on any feedback you take can be taken on board and applied ot the next mini but it's often not that easy to do with a completely new project. Personally showing off a finished mini typically means that I get the same general feedback for the next 3-4 pieces before I actually start to show that I am trying to work on a tip i was given months ago. In the middle of a project you can just go bang away immediately using the advice given. WIP FTW!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Try this again. I still need to do some highlights as I think there are some parts of all these models that need to "pop" more, but here's most of what I have so far:

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:17 pm

I like this army, it almost makes me want a tomb king army. The whole army looks really sharp, just think of how many points you are throwing away in the league by not having your characters painted up!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:42 pm

I know. I took my winnings and picked up Khalida which just looks cool and Apophas, which I think I'll convert into a Death wizard.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Looks great, although in the flesh its even better. I agree with the "pop" comment you made. You need some eye catching color on each unit to draw the eye in....amybe on the banners?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Actually, the more I look at this the more work it needs. Remember me being reluctant to post pictures until it's done? This is why. Very Happy

Should I leave the bases bare or put some bushes and dead plant stuff on them?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 pm

The odd contrasting colored rock and some dead colored grass would look ace.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:24 am

I agree, do up a test model with one of your necropolis knights and see how it looks.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top