Winsor & Newton Series 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winsor & Newton Series 7

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:26 pm

So after surfing the boards on CoolMiniOrNot.com the general consensus is that the very best brushes in the world are Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. The top mini painters all say that using anything else would not allow them to achieve the results they get. I am not going to get into to much of the detail but the people in question all have valid reason for not using sythetic brushes and have made well explained arguements why these brushes are the best in the world. So I thought I would hunt some down and give them a shot. I thought I would write a sort of mini review, not on the quality of the brushes themselves, but whether they are worth the extra expense for middle of the road painters. Here goes....

So I got mine at the store Colours on 2nd ave downtown here in Saskatoon. It was kind of a wierd experience as I asked for these brushes by name, and then the lady sort of breifly grilled me on what I needed them for. After a small back and forth she turned to another girl behind the counter and said "Show them to him". This next lady brought them out from under the counter. I honestly feel that if I hadn't satisfied the first lady with my answers I would have walked out empty handed. Crazytown.

So first off price. I was expecting the "best brushes on earth" to cost everything I had. I bought a 0 and a 000 and they were 30 and 25 bucks respectively. I usually pay about 10bucks a shot at michaels so this was less than I was prepared to spend. These brushes are supposed to last forever and a day so I thought it was reasonable. I mean if 15-20 bucks each is all that separates the best equipment in the world from middle of the road stuff I can personally live with that, especially if long term it saves on buying new brushes. So far so good...

The brush quality is of course excellent. I am comparing these to the other natural and sythetic brushes I have used. I will never blame the equipment I have been using for keeping me from winning a "Slayer Sword" or anything but truthfully if someone had snuck these brushes into my jar without my knowledge they would be my favorite. They distributs color much more evenly then my previous favorite brushes. I can scoop up what feels like the same amount of paint as I used to with my old equipment and make more strokes at a time. Also using slightly thinned paint with my old brushes I felt I had a harder time controlling the application of my paint then I do with these brushes. Really impressed with using these.

Now while I've only been using these for a couple of days it's impossible to talk about the shelf life of these brushes. I have started using a liquid brush soap at the end of every session to help maintain the brushes and especially the points. I haven't seen any signs of wear or "Curl" after using these for maybe 8hrs total. I have seen some signs of wear on other brushes I have spent as much as 15$ on in this time frame in the past.

So all in all I would agree and say that even if you aren't going to games day to win a trophy any time soon I would reccomend picking up a couple of these brushes. They're good. They won't make you a better painter but I do think they'll let you(me) try some new techniques a little easier than I could with my other brushes. Give 'em a shot if you like!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Winsor & Newton Series 7

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Well after about a week plus the brushes have been used quite a bit and look and feel great still! My verdict is that everyone who has been considering upgrading their brushes, or even just buying new ones should try and order some of these. They really are worth the extra cash.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:12 pm

I was reading back through old topics and I stumbled upon this one. So after several months is your verdict the same? Have you worn them out yet?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:49 pm

Good question Nathan!

The WN7 are still intact..... but I switched (mostly) to a brand I prefer. Raphael 8404 are the same quality kolinsky sable but they have a firmer bristle (more SNAP!) which is good for my abusive style of painting. The price is comparable (high!) and after only 3 months I wore my Raphael 8404 down so it doesn't have a point that can do eyeballys or fine detail. Still my workhorse brush, but I have to switch for fiddly stuff.

I still reccomend the WNs7 quite a bit. A size one, 0, 000 should keep any painter looking to step up and wear the daddy paints very happy.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Up until recently I used the double-pointy-ended toothpicks to do eyes. Worked just fine. I have graduated to brushes, but still feel like using pointy toothpicks...

Anyways Scott, I don't want to threadjack, but I'm curious about the paints you use. I have about 90 GW paints and when I started doing these Mino's I noticed that half of the @$%^#$ colors have dried up. Some of them are almost worth saving, so is there a pro way to save them?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Could'nt tell you about saving them at all. That's why I switched to dropper bottles. I have had soem issues with dropper bottle drying up, but the paint is still accesible by taking the top off the dropper (easy to do).

I think you're fooked. I have really taken a shine to the Vallejo series. Vallejo game color rips off the name and colors of the GW line. They're the full range of colors from the twist lids before the flip tops so they've got more of the crazy blues, purple, and some of the faggier greens and stuff. The paints, like GW are formulated with somethign in them (a weak resin I think?) which gives them the semi gloss finish just like GW.

The absolute gems of my paints are the Vallejo Model color. Lots of historically matched colors which is great for historical games but also I find the "real" colors look super cool and dark/gritty when applied on our game setting mini's.

Unfortunately our LGS doesn't carry them. If you open your shop I'd seriously look into carrying them and selling online as well as I can't find a good canadian supplier I like. I currently get my re-stocks from one of the two eShops outta eBay depending if one is in stock or not.

Also they make a range of airbrush paint pre diluted and specially formulated. They're thin and really useful for brush painting too!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top