Campaign Thread

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Campaign Thread

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Hmm, tha'ts a shame. Other question; can you pimp out unit champs of regiments of renown that are able to take magical items like the temple guard champ with those bonus magic items?

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Do you want to take wound rolls every time the champ dies?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 pm

I can see it now, a heroic mission to save my captured unit champ! Your right sounds like a hassle, plus I'd end up pretty screwed if he got incapacitated and I couldn't take a revered guardian for a game.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:50 am

Brent I am going to be at the den this Saturday doing some repairs for Darren. We could have our games afterwards about noon I should be done.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 am

Ok, I'll give it to bullhorn then, he'll get the rune of preservation and a rune of luck giving him a re-roll on a single to hit, to wound, or armour save.

Edit:
How does the magic item thing work for Dwarfs? Do I need to stay within the rules for runes - ie: max. 3 runes per item, no duplicates between characters (exception being the rune of stone), 1 master rune per item? Can I add runes to existing items as long as I stay within these rules?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Nathan,

I would say to stay within the normal rules, and no adding new runes to old items.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 pm

Well, then I can't add anything so the points are lost. Dwarf characters only have the option to have 3 types of runic items - Weapons, Armour and Talismans. My characters already have all 3.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b.kevinsen on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 pm

That sounds good Andre, catch ya round lunch-ish

b.kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah I agree with Nathan my characters are kitted out with all three runes too. What about adding a hero level character that has to be taken along the general/lieutenant of the army and cant switch from that army. Or taking a new weapon and having to declare which one the general is using in that battle.

Also in Brent and my upcoming game he has 2950pts and I have 3688pts so do we make a list based on the 2500pt values and then add the extra pts however we want or does Brent have to make a list based on under 3000pts special and rare choices while I get to take up to 4 of the same rare choices etc? (the second way doesnt seem fair not that I have a list in mind yet but wanted to be clear)(also who said war had to be fair lol).

Brent I will see you at the den.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Brent has a normal army, you have a grand army.

As to the Dwarf rune issue, I don't see an easy solution. Other characters are limited to their normal equipment options, and they can't switch anything out.

What do the other players think?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:40 pm

whats stopping you from putting more runes on a diffrent item? as far as weapons go i think that's pretty sure that he can only have the one, but for dwarfs cant you take 3 runes per item? if so then just say he has a new amulet or something in addition to what ever he already has and call it good.... if ya know what i mean

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 pm

I think adding items to other heroes to make them heroes of legend similar to regiments of renown would be cool. Also for the dwarfs I don't see a problem with adding runes to existing items as long as it doesn't break rules for rune creation

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Tough call on the rune thing. It could become foggy on where the line ends if being allowed to add on to existing pieces in regards to other races. I have a set of magic armor, whats stopping me then from getting a magic helmet and magic shield (UNLESS you're a ghoul king, then you can't take any magic armor... even if you find it... I digress).

I guess dwarf magic items work a bit differently from the other races (is that an issue with an out of date book?), but so do vampire bloodline powers and ogre big names.

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm

The only issue I have is that all other characters can have 4 magic items (weapons, armour, enchanted & talismans). While we can only have three

My proposal is that we can add runes to existing items. I would assume that we would still have to follow the rules for runic items so for my general, he could add 2 more runes to his armour and 2 to his talisman. At that point he would be full.

I'm ok with whatever everyone decides as I am quite happy with what I've got on my characters as it is.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Following the rule of three one item can only have three runes. You can only carry one weapon, also it states that a dwarf can only have three runes on his armor. That being said there is not really anything preventing a Dwarf from taking more than one runic amulet/ring etc so I propose that the only extra items with runes would be talismanic with each talisman abiding by the normal rules for runes.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 am

I agree with Nathan and adding to items. I however do not think that one should be able to take multiple talismans (each with 3?).

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:44 am

The dwarf talismans are not overly effective. One can only be put on dwarf lords for 100pts makes them immune to fear and terror (pointless now) 4 can only be taken by runesmiths (dispel scroll types) one is a 4+ ward but it is a master rune (character cant take 2 master runes) one is a one use 2+ ward against the first unsaved wound, one use only forces a charge by one pre-nominated enemy unit, one use only leadership test stops all units tested seperatley from charging one turn again master rune, one lets a character deploy with scouts,one use only gives a reroll to a failed armor or ward save, one gives magic resistance, and one gives fire protection. All in all there are no dwarf talismans that are very dangerous you would most likely be looking at the magic resistance or a one use ward save, the others are costly runes. I would put a limit on dispell scrolls maybe. My runelord is already kitted out with what he can take.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 am

Andre the dwarf army book clearly says that you can't have more than one runic item from each category. (page 43 under the heading "number of runic items"). That same page has the rules of the runes, I can scan that page and post it if people would like to see them. Basically they are as follows:

1) 3 runes max per item.
2) weapon runes only on weapons, armor on armor etc.
3) No 2 items in an army can have the same combo of runes.
4) master runes can only be used once per army and no item can have 2 master runes.
5) apart from master runes, runes can be used in multiples to gain cumulative effects.

I would say that we need to follow these rules for sure, regardless of what we decide to do. An alternative option would be to allow our dwarf characters to take magical items from the big rulebook but that opens up all kinds of potential balance issues.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b.kevinsen on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:03 pm

The Elves out numbered in each battle preformed admirably but ultimately succumbed to the larger dwarf forces. With the larger battle raging to the north a smaller battle was waged ahead of the relief force traveling to the wizards tower. A small assault force led by Bilgarim's Moon Dragon, swept down onto the tower. This force was predetermined as the rescue mission was organized to be comprised of fast moving troops to catch the tower guard off guard, the moon dragon Elihidrian, two young dragons, and 10 Great Eagles. They faced 2 units of Iron Breakers, a unit of slayers, a unit of quarrelers, a unit of thunderers, 3 bolt throwers, 2 organ guns and a runesmith.

With the element of surprise non existent the dwarves shot first, a withering hail of lead and steel hits the monsters lines killing one young dragon with the combined shooting of one organ gun and the thunderers, a lone great eagle is killed by the other organ , and a great eagle is shot out of the sky by the quarrelers. The Elf first turn only results in the monsters moving closer to the missile troops, one unit of great eagles manages to make a charge against a bolt thrower, killing one crew.

The second dwarf turn sees quarrelers charge the great eagle attacking the bolt thrower, the second young dragon killed by the organ gun alone, a bolt thrower skewers another lone great eagle, the second organ gun does one wound to the Moon dragon, while the thunderers do 2 wounds to another group of great eagles. In combat the eagle kills the bolt thrower. The second elf turn sees 2 charges one from a unit of 4 great eagles and the other from a unit of 2 eagles, the first group of 4 eagles slice through the dwarf bolt thrower crew, whilst the group of 2 hits the organ gun crew dealing a wound and loosing a wound do to the dangerous terrain test for the obstacle (killin the eagle the thunderers shot the last round) the great eagle locked in combat with the quarrellers trades wounds killing the eagle.

The third dwarf turn sees 3 wounds done to the only remaining dragon, whilst the rest of the dwraf shooting does not find its mark. The only combat the great eagle vs organ gun crew results in one wound to the crew. The elf third turn sees a charge from the dragon and the unit of 4 great eagles both into 2 different iron breaker units. The dragon breaths into combat killing 2 iron breakers and does a further 1 wound, the iron breakers attack back doing one wound, the Dragon turns and runs. the Great eagles do 1 wound the iron breakers do 2 wounds. the eagles stand. while the lone great eagle tied up with the gun crew kill the remaining crew.

The fourth dwarf turn sees what is left of the unengaged units shot off the table. The quarrelers shoot and kill the remaining lone eagle, the organ gun kills the Moon Dragon. In combat the last group of eagles kill a slayer as the slayers charge in to join the fray, the iron breakers do 1 wounds and the eagle break and are run down........

The End, The wizard was lost to the hero eating circle for ever.

b.kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:43 pm

In our big battle I posted a storyline type rendition. I beat Brent by 519 pts and rolled a 6 on the spoils of war chart while he rolled a 2 on the ignanimous defeats. He also rolled a 6 on the results and thus his army is removed. Very fun games both and the special scenario was unique with neither player knowing quite what they would be up against. After this defeat Brent has requested a paece pact for the rest of spring. Lesson.. Dwarfs get mad if you mess with their mines.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Campaign map updated with battle results.

Expeditions:
Eric recaptures his Fortress;
Joe captures Iron Rock;

Does anyone want to pay any bribes to avoid having their hexes stolen? Brent, Andre, Dom and Darren can each pay bribes for a bonus to their fortification rolls. EDIT: But only if they have relics in the first place;)

I'll also need everyone's build orders. Remember you can't build if you were pushed back or captured a new hex. My army 2 built a mine.

Andre, for meeting the secret objective of the special scenario, you may choose one of the following for your Runesmiths to craft for your army from the many scattered Dragon remains:
Dragon Scale;
Dragon Fang; or
Dragon's Breath.

Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:32 pm

my army one is going to build a mine and if i can army 2 will build a fortress (cant remember if its one a turn or army)

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Got it.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Army 1 shall upgrade the fortress to a city