Zack's painting thing.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zack's painting thing.

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:25 pm

I thought maybe if I started a painting blog thing it might help me to want to paint more often.

I've done up some more humanish models since the last contest.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Zack's painting thing.

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Have you looked at the quickshade stuff from army builder? I think they'd work PERFECT for your painting style. Check it out man. It's supposed to be pretty easy and I really think you'd like the results.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks for the tip, I really want to work on my painting now that my work schedule is set. Where could I find some how-to instructions on that technique Scott?

This is the same fig I entered in the 20mm contest, I wanted a better picture of it up.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Yeah, a quick dip in army painter would work wonders for you.

Pick up a can of the quick shade, I believe they have some at the den. dip the model in and then shake some of the excess off and then let dry. Once its completely dry hit it with dullcoat otherwise it will be way too shiny.

You'll love the results.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Here's a quick tutorial for it:

Link

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 pm

I think it's been to long since I touched any of my fantasy things, so here is my latest attempt. It's not a lizard but the last two armies I have been working on were Salamander Chapter space marines and Orks so I needed to lay off the green.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Good to have you back on board. Zach, you should really try a wash or dip with your painting....I think you would really like the results.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:41 pm

I think the dwarf is a real step up in your painting. The blue sleeves look like they have some shading and highlighting going on and I like what you've done with the gun barrel in his right hand. The beard comes off a little monotone and could use some highlights, maybe graveyard earth? I really like that for a highlight on brown.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks guys. Ive got about a dozen more dwarfs to paint for a mordheim band, so I'll try my hand at highlighting the beard the playing around with washes on the next one.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Hey guys I have another update on my dwarfs. I'm almost finished with 3 crossbow guys. I can't seem to post a picture from my phone that doesn't cut the picture in half but I would still appreciate any advice you guys can give me before I add these to my finished pile. I've got myself a blog set up so take a look if you would http://bodnarnewmarines.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:34 pm

You know, you actually paint pretty clean. Those models look perfect for "quick shade" or whatever it's called.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm

I like them too, as Don says you have a very clean painting style. I think if you spent some time and did something cool to their bases you'd have the beginnings of a really standout army there.

The paintjobs definitely would benefit from the use of some washes, devlan mud is my favorite for most things although the black one works really well on silver as well. The washes will just give the blocks of color some depth and shadows. Its tough to try new stuff on minis that you care about and want to use.

Here's a thought:
Try picking up a model with the sole purpose of wanting to paint it and try some new things on it. Post pictures of it when you think it is done and then get people to critique it and give you tips on how to improve it (try not to take anything personally, usually the things that are the hardest to hear end up being the best tips). Wait a few days so that you can start fresh and then revisit the model trying to follow the suggestions that you got and see how it ends up.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for the advice, there are still a few things I want to try out on them like highlighting the beards a bit, and then I'm going to take one of them and see how a quick dip in that Army painter stuff looks. As for bases, these guys are for a mordheim warband so I think they are all going to end up on the round 40k bases, and I was planning to try out kind of graveyard look too them. Hopefully the tombstones that come in the skeleton kit is a good height so that I'll be able to have the crossbows resting on them.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Very clean, very "in the lines". That is the first step and now you're ready to start with the real highlighting and shading part. Good stuff Zach!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 pm

So I did the army painter dip with one of my dwarfs, followed up by a dull coat to get rid of the shine. I'm really happy with the results. I can only say that I hope to take my time and make the next 11 members of my warband a little better each time. I posted the updated look on my blog.

Does anybody have a suggestion for something I should try on the next set of guys that would help my painting? The next guys are a set of 3 Iron breakers to be the dwarf warriors of the warband, maybe a slayer. I don't feel like trying out the noble yet, I kind of want him to represent everything I've learned painting the rest of them.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm

I had to dig around but here's that link I found for the dipping product and results.

http://raveninghordes.forumakers.com/t513-dipping-product-impressive-way-to-get-army-on-the-table-fast

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:57 am

can you post apic of th dipped guy? My first reccomendation is to work on the mini after the dip and dullcote to rebuild some of the basecoat and ad some highlights. But I'd like to see a pic if you've got the time. Word.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 am

I posted a couple pictures on my blog, I've tried to get them on here but it would require some resizing of the photos that I can't do on my phone. Once I get back to civilization I''ll try and get a shot of all three finished rangers up. I'd also like to experiment more with the quick shade. Here's link to a couple pictures. http://bodnarnewmarines.blogspot.ca/?m=1
My bad camera probably helps me out but I still think it's one of my better looking models

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:54 am

The ironbreakers should work really well with the quickshade, they are pretty much just metal and beard. If you spend a lot of time on the beard it will make the models look good (that goes for most dwarf models but especially ironbreakers). My suggestion would be to pick what color hair you want to paint the beard, then take a shade darker and a shade lighter and use those 3 colors on the beard before quickshading (for example, a light brown/blonde I'd use graveyard earth, kommando khaki, and bleached bone). Paint the darker one on as your basecoat, then go over it with the midtone, not quite to the edges and recesses and then use the lightest one to just touch the highest points in the beard. After dipping and dullcoating, just go back and re-touch those final highlights and you should be good to go.

Here's a more in-depth beard-painting guide with pictures, its for a blonde beard but the same principle applies to pretty much any color:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/259096.page

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Not in a million years would I put that much work into a beard.

Maybe that's because I can't grow one.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 pm

And that's why you don't have a dwarf army!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 am

Hey guys, I've got another update. I painted up an Ironbreaker last night, I feel like there's more I can with it but I'm not to sure what. This is the point where I usually say good enough. I tried that beard painting from the link you posted Nathan, though with some some different colors. I think it turned out well enough and with some more tries at it I think it will look really great. http://bodnarnewmarines.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 am

It looks good, I like the beard. Hit the armour with a wash of Devlan mud or whatever the new name for it is and I think you'll be happy with the results. Especially on the gold.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:36 am

I wouldnot be opposed to seeing the beard a little more contrasted. If it were my mini I'd use the devlan mud on the beard. Then I'd take some of the black wash stuff and add it at the base of the beard near the helmet. Then I'd go over the hairs with the base color and then add some of the base colour and bleached bone mixed towards the outer edges of the beard. Then a little of pure bleached bone I think. If you're interested try it out and see what you think.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a beardy update. I tried what you suggested on my Ironbreaker Scott. I definitely like the result and it wasn't very much extra work. I've also got the beard on one of my slayers painted up and I quite like the result. http://bodnarnewmarines.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top