Deployment!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Deployment!

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:34 pm

Well I thought I'd like to try and beef up our Tactics section of this page so I wanted to start conversation about deployment strategies.

To me deployment is the ignored factor in warhammer that seperates champions from chumps. The best paper plan needs some thought put into deployment if it's going to have a chance, and your deployment strategy needs to be flexible to account for terrain and your opponent. For me and depending on my own force I need to consider where the bulk of the hand to hand fighting is going to take place. This is almost always very easy.

If you've got a predominantly open patch of the table that is easy to get to by both players, that's going to be a hot spot. If they're more than one of these, or if the table is pretty well open in the middle then it can be trckier to determine where the fighting is going to take place. Ways I find to narrow this down are...

-Your own army will contain units that your opponent will not want to fight, and some that they will want to fight. Taking your own maneuverability into account place a unit opposite where you would most like the fighting to be. Most likely your oppnent will respond in kind by putting a unit he thinks is appropriate to tackle your unit single handedly.

-deploy opposite a hill. If your opponent has a hill most of the time he'll want to put something of value on it (War Machines, spell caster etc.) With even a modest infantry or cav unit opposite the hill he will either have to deploy a combat unit nearest the hill to help keep you at bay or ignore the hill as a deployment option for his stuff. Either way it's a victory.

whatever the option the goal is to deploy in such a manner that you can anticipate where your opponent needs to move his army to win the game. I'll talk more about what I do next when I have a little more time. IN the mean time anyone else have some thoughts?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Deployment!

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:55 pm

I have 2 armies, Dwarfs and Wood Elves. The deployment phase for these two armies is VERY different! With the Dwarfs I have to plan out where I put each unit knowing that they may only move 6" from that spot all game. With the Wood Elves I deploy in a manner that will hopefully confuse my opponent and then rely on my fast movement in turn 1 to re-arrange my units to where I actually want them. With my dwarfs I place my war machines last after I have seen where the main shooting lanes are going to be. With my Wood Elves I usually put the treeman down last in the area that needs the most support/intimidation.

Unless I'm playing my brother. Then I put the treeman down first wherever I don't want his grail knights to go! He seriously hates that treeman and tries his best to avoid it. It probably has something to do with it taking down entire units of grail knights on multiple occasions.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:21 pm

I play Beastmen, and rare is the game where I've deployed less than my opponent, which of course gives them the +1 die roll for turn one. I'm not afraid of forests and I used to make the mistake of putting my big hitters (Dragon Ogres, Shaggoth, Giant...) on opposite ends of the table. I've come to realize that putting both on one side has helped tremendously. Once a Giant, Dragon Ogres or Shaggoth gets to flankin', they can usually just keep running along the opposite table edge. A few units of Warhounds are great at forcing your opponent to deploy his pricier units.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 pm

I usually take a different approach to deployment. Every army that I build will have a deployment already planned out that I feel complements the army. Line cohesion, mutual support etc. Once each deployment phase begins I try to ignore as much as possible what my opponent is doing. I don't like to react to my opponents deployment.....although I have found myself doing this.

I always try to anchor my percieved critical flank with some terrain feature. Many times I will purposely leave a weak flank quite a distance from my main force, hoping that my opponent will atttack there with his toughest units. Sometimes a killer unit can be ignored if it spends three turns hunting down some shooters.

I suppose that I have adopted this style with the type of army builds that I go for.......strong infantry lines.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:31 pm

man i suck at deployment my 500 point iron breaker unit never gets into combat because everyone just avoids it

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:04 pm

That is the problem with making such a stacked unit with dwarfs; your opponent can easily avoid it while killing the rest of your army piecemeal. My advice: don't make a 500 point ironbreaker unit! Go with a more balanced force with several close combat threats backed up by some solid shooting. 2 units of 20 warriors with great weapons and shields, a unit of 20 longbeards and a unit of 20 ironbreakers should be good for combat units. Put your characters in the units that need a bit of extra punch instead of trying to make one super-unit that your enemy will avoid. Keep your force together and don't block line of sight for your shooters.

Put up a typical army list for you and we will pick it apart and hopefully you will come out with an improved list and some good advice. There are a bunch of people who have played with or against dwarfs that can offer some good advice. Unfortunately everyone has different opinions so expect some conflicting advice.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:47 am

ok thank you nathanr

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 am

Sponsored content