High Elves vs Dwarfs Battle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

High Elves vs Dwarfs Battle

Post  Patchfur on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:03 pm

I put Army Builder on the computer again, and set up an army list matching the Island of Blood forces provided in the box. An interesting thing ensued, in that the army list you can download for the content of the box does not constitute a valid list per the rule book. Anyways, it worked out to just under 900 points. So then I set up just under 900 points of dwarfs for Zebadiah to use and we played a quick and fun small game. We rolled up Dawn Attack (I think that is what it is called) where you have random deployment.

The high elf mage took Melkoth's Mystifying Miasma which was quite useful. I noticed that with low level mages you might as well roll the whole handful of dice since there is no point at all in the dispelling player holding back and no consequences for rolling too many dispell dice. Go hard or go home, so I was using the boosted version at all times. I though about the consequences of miscast a few times, but what the heck. Shut down the thunderers to allow the blademasters to close the table.

The griffon set up a charge on the cannon, but failed to roll enough distance (twice!) The ensuing shots from the cannon missed altogether. Eventually, the blademasters cut through the thunderers and over-ran into the cannon and then over-ran into some miners in any case. Once that happened the elf prince on the griffon moved onto a hill to set up a charge on the main unit of dwaves.

These had been shadowed all game by the Ellyrion reavers who sat back and shot them and shot them and shot them. Eventually the reformed and started stoically marching back to help the miners out of their issue with the few remaining swordmasters. At that point I flank charged them with the elf prince and rear charged them with the reavers. All during this part of the game the 10 seaguard had been shooting the heck out of them too.

This charge was a mistake. The dwarf lord was tooled up with runic armour, a one time 2+ ward save, and a magic axe doing D6 wounds. He bounced the elf prince and griffon and then proceed to utterly cut down the griffon completely with three wounding hits doing D6 wounds each, dropping the elf lord to his feet. The reavers scored nothing, and the axe wielding dwarfs killed a few. The reavers broke and fled, and the nearby seaguard panicked and fled (!). End of game.

Interesting things I learned about the rules:
I was surprised to learn that an character can issue a challenge even if not in a fighting rank.
The +2 bonus for rear and +1 for flank charges counts no matter how many models you have in the unit.

Things I was reminded of:
It is seriously unwise to engage a tooled up glow in the dark dwarf lord. Don't do that. Bad idea.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: High Elves vs Dwarfs Battle

Post  Carson on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Good stuff William, awesome to have you back in the swing of things. I can't wait till my boy is old enough to try some gaming.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 am

Dwarf lords can be incredibly killy. My favorite combo is the great weapon master rune (lets his great weapon keep its +2 Strength and other rules), The rune that doubles his strength vs T5 or greater and the +1 to hit rune. This combo means that he hits everything WS6 and below on a 2+ and he wounds everything T8 or less on a 2+. I then mount him on a shield, give him the rune of stone (+1 armour) to give him a 1+ armour save and then with the extra 50 points I have available I give him a 4+ ward save for good measure! That still leaves him 5 points shy of his maximum but I don't want to be greedy Laughing

Sounds like it was a fun game though, I can't wait to try playing some games with my kids either. I'm going to have to wait a while though, they are only 3 and 1!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:19 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top