Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Project Update:

Doomwheel is cleaned and assembled to the point of priming and painting for Saturday.
Completed: Magnetic movement trays for all the minis I've assembled so far are done.
Completed: Magnets are installed on the bottoms of the bases for all the minis I have already assembled.
Completed: 3 More Movement trays done to hold 120 of the 140 more clan rats I will be getting this week. My basic 2500 point list will have a mixture of 240 clan rats/slaves on the field at one time in 6 blocks of 40 to fill core requirements.

Warlitter and Doomwheel are priority paintjobs, because I cannot fully assemble them until the parts are painted. If my models don't get here early in the week, I may start painting my warlitter or work on my custom Skaven turn counter.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your progress firsthand, this blog is definitely inspiring me. I've gotten around to projects that have been sitting in my garage untouched for years. I'm not getting them done nearly as quickly as you are but progress is progress! Keep it up, I'll try to start logging my stuff as well although it won't be nearly as impressive.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Doing 400 skaven minis is so intimidating.

I thought if I posted daily like a diary, it would keep me motivated to keep up the work and hopefully inspire others to push through some of their projects as well. It is great that you are dusting off some of your old projects.

I've already constructed the base for the turn dial out of plasticard using the sign of the 13 clans which took me over 5 hours to cut and glue. There must have been a hundred pieces of plasticard to custom fit, cut and glue... I am glad that part is done. I have to construct the dial mechanism which I am going to use a cut piece of dowel for glued onto something thin and smooth. Not sure how to do the numbers yet. They are fancy symbols and will be a pain to cut thirteen of them, but I still might try and use plasticard.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Totally fanatical. Love it!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Heh heh. I've been thinking about it and I think I might be able to do the fancy lettering with an ENGRAVER!!!! Engrave the etching into the plastic instead of building it up... Much easier and I can paint it with some glowy green, like warpstone is shining through it... hmmm.

I am going to pick up a dremel engraver and try it out!

p.s. My Forgeworld minis and Skaven Magic cards arrived from the UK!!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

This is really starting to look nice.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I am guessing that is code from Scott to show some pics... Wink

Still not much to see as they are not painted, but here are some snaps of what I've done so far.

I didn't snap my Doomwheel because it is drying from Primer, or my 16 NightRunners which couldn't fit in this box... When I am done, I expect my army to fit in 3 Island of Blood sized boxes (as shown below). Look at all the clanrats there. I am still missing 3 and a half more 40 blocks which are coming this week, and 40 more Plague Monks to make a total of 80, as well as a few more ogres, a few furnaces... Shocked ...Oh man, what did I get myself into...

The Dremel Etcher is working so far. I can see many uses for this including terrain making. It can etch plastic, wood or metal.

The Turn Wheel:
The 13 sided star and the runes denote the seats of the 12 ruling Skaven Clans, and the thirteenth seat is reserved for the Horned Rat. The original picture is printed from the Skaven Heraldry book. I did some freehand drawing of the symbols on the plasticard with a pencil first, and am now etching the pencil markings. My goal with this is for 12 of the 13 spots to denote, player 1 turn 1, player 2 turn 1, player 1 turn 2, player 2 turn 2, etc... The 13th spot is end of game. I will be using a dowel in the middle to assist with the spinner which I still have to construct. Slowly but surely I am getting there.

All those little pieces of plasticard had to be cut to size, placed and glued in such a way to be balanced and symmetrical to a 13 pointed star. OMG you guys, I had to use tweezers to place them all because they are so small and I would get glue all over my fingers!!! It was a pain, but looks okay so far. This will eventually be primed and painted once I am done. It is currently on a square piece of plasticard, and I am deciding what I want to do to adorn it, or to cut it in a circle instead. Not sure yet.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 pm

That is awesome. I vote to cut the backing into a circle and mount it on a haphazard frame of some sort similar to that of the bell or warp lightning cannon.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Ooooh. I am liking that idea... Or part of a piece of terrain that is Skaven-y with Warp stones that can be placed on the battlefield as random impassable terrain when it is rolled for terrain. Then it is not taking up unnecessary room on the table but is functional... It could be etched in a cliff side or rock and can be painted like that as well as the symbols could be glowing green on the rockside. I could throw random Giant Rats on it too. I have craploads of them.

We need to flesh these ideas and make it cool!

I was also planning the initial stages of a diorama which will have LED lighting, a main sewer entrance on the side of a cliff and was wanting to include some of those peasant minis you see running in terror on Games Workshop photos, as well as some in horror pointing at the sewer grate which is on top of the diorama looking down on all the Skaven moving through the sewers out the main exit though a sewer grate and the LED light glowing through it from the warpstones. I ordered 15 tubs of those rocks I posted earlier from the UK. I will have a crapton of glowy looking green rocks. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 am

No diorama is complete without "running man". Warhammer Icon.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Project Update:

Not much of an update. Etching completed tonight. That took a long time, because of the detail on the symbols and me being extra careful not to slip and make an accidental etch somewhere I didn't want one. Wink Now I need to plan the dial and if I want to put any other details on it before I cut it. Thinking of sculpting a rat tail as the turn arrow with a spiky weapon on the end of it, using green stuff, or some pointy warpstone or something else. Going to let that one sit for a bit while I think of other possible options before deciding on one. Unless of course you all have some ideas...

Finished priming Doomwheel for Saturday. Busy tomorrow night with Pathfinder. Will pack up paints and gear Friday night and pack up styrofoam for Nathan's. Will assemble some Brood Horrors on Friday night and prime my War Litter for painting and then maybe relax and read the Skaven book, or watch some battle reports online.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Project Update:

I am making really good progress on the Doomwheel. I should have final pics for you tomorrow night. The driver turned out really good. 4 -5 layers of blending on him. Because I am doing a Clan Septik color scheme, my uniforms and weapons are going to be dirty off whites, green greys, greys, all dirtied, and the metals will all be rusty. The Clan is all about disease, showing off their pussy sores, and showing off their stained dirty clothes.

Today I picked up another 2 Battalions, 1 more box of Clan Rats, 2 Screaming Bell/Furnace kits, and one ruined tower terrain piece which I am going to convert into a cool Skaven themed terrain piece, using unused parts of my Furnace kit, and other fun stuff.

Once I get this Doomwheel done, I need to decide whether I want to paint my War Litter or assemble another 200 models...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Here is a Work in Progress. I haven't done any washes yet on any metal sections, and still have to do some highlights. But I thought I would show you how it is coming. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 am

Its looking good!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am

You guys are really starting to tick me off - you know that? Wink

Looking good though. I think you'll have this army done faster than you think.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 am

If you can't beat us, join us!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm painting one of my Necrosphinx's right now. My wife works evenings this week, so my goal is hard core painting and Netflix.

A happy life is pretty simple....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm

I want to have my Doomwheel done tonight, but I am not sure how fast this will happen. I have to paint the rats powering the wheel, freehand the banner, fix up some Verdigris effects on the copper, finish painting the base, add some pussy bloody sores on one of the ratmen, and add some more rust effects on my iron bits. Can all this be done in one evening??? Hmmm...

This Doomwheel is a bitch to paint. SOOOOO MANY DETAILS!!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 pm

pussy bloody sores
OMG. This army is going to be crazy! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Zoom zoom...

I am still working on the base. But I thought I would post some pics as to where I am at so far.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Love it!, great work. I would suggest more grime though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 pm

Heh heh. Thanks. It looks dirtier in person. I have a lot of rust painted on it but you can't see it due to camera angles and lighting.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Just finished the base, and put on the varnish. FINALLY DONE!

Going to take tonight and tomorrow night off assembly and painting, and then be back hard again at it on Friday. Time to make some more army lists for my Wood Elves and my Skaven and read more of the army book!

There is no end to this hobby!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

I like the hand on the banner, it is reminiscent of the warning signs you see on machinery with the hand stuck in the gears.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm

that hand and gears would actually make a cool motif on a skaven banner

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:53 pm