Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Update: Mounted Eagle mini will be done tonight. Painting is going very well...
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:02 am

Mounted BSB done. 5.5 hours start to finish. Sorry for the crappy pics... At least you can get an idea of the coloring I used and the banner I used to kit bash... Smile Now all I have left is the Giant Owl!!! Should take me about 6 hours or less to paint either tomorrow or Sunday, which means I will have achieved my goal of getting these minis done, and terrain done, before Jan 1!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:07 am

I like it, the eagle is very well done. I would have picked a different species of eagle as this one is really dark for your winter color scheme. I like the conversion you have done to the rider and I like the pink standard. I can't wait to see the owl.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 am

Owl is done. Rider I will finish tomorrow.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 am

Is that a seam on the right wing of the eagle?! Throw it out. Start again. Wink

Really like the Owl, it'll fit perfect in your army. This is what Dom used for his army but we have to gently nudge him to paint his. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:02 am

Looks cool, best figs ever for the woodelves. CMON figs if I,m not mistaken?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:27 am

It is a C'MON mini. I am putting a different rider on it than it normally comes with, so it should still look different from Dom's. I am excited to finish the rider, and finally have this army done with yet another new option I've never had for Woodies. The only models I don't have painted are some eternal guard and a BSB on foot. Don't plan to paint either until the next army book comes out. I have models that will work for BSB on Great Eagle, and BSB on horse, which will fit the bill.

I will be assembling 120 or so Skaven slaves this week. I HATE ASSEMBLY. I like painting, not building... Bought some new plastic glue to help, but getting rid of mould lines on that many minis will suck. Sad

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 pm

I HATE ASSEMBLY.

True. True.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Finally done... Now on to Skaven...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 am

Well I've been doing a lot of reading and research, and I am thinking of theming the army on Clan Septik.

They are affiliated with Clan Pestilence. Their weapons and armor are heavily rusted, their clothing is mostly off-white (light grey?) showing lots of stains (including mud stains and bloody puss spots on the robes). It would make the army a lot brighter on the table. I would splash some green, purple (for the seer), and some browns as well for contrast, and freehand some patterns on some of the robe bottoms of special units. Bases I am thinking of using broken cork in various forms.

I want to be able to make fluffy lists from this that can still be competitive, and I think the Plague Catapults, Plague Monks, Furnace, slaves, and Aboms which look pussy and icky would help present the theme well. I will have a poisoned wind mortar team in the Island of Blood which also would fit I think. Spreading the disease and plague... Maybe making some Censor bearers as well. What fur there is on the aboms will likely be white.

Based on my reading, Plague Catapults are not as good as Warp Lightning Cannons for most things, and are not really good against high toughness units, which seem to be the norm in most games in 8th edition. They should perform well against Empire, against elves, especially Elven Cavalry, other Skaven due to the lower toughness. Though a successful casting of Wither would offer more options to higher toughness armies.

Assembly begins in a few hours, taking a break for a party tonight, and then all day tomorrow. I am hoping to have over 100 Clanrats/Slaves assembled by the weekend. To be all themey, I changed my avatar to resemble a Grey Seer... Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 am

Good to see this kind of enthusiasim, I'm looking forward to what you do with Skaven.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:45 pm

That might be soon. I just finished corking 70 bases. Shocked

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:29 pm

Turns out Trevor has a sub-basement where he keeps a warhammer sweatshop.

You're making the rest of us look bad!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

The secret to my speed = NO KIDS.

P.S. 20 clan rats cleaned and assembled as of this post... By tomorrow night I should have 70ish models ready for priming. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:06 am

Tell me about it! My 2 year old doesn't understand the concept of "look with your eyes" and my 5 year old has to be a part of everything. This afternoon I was doing some touch-ups on some old bretonnians with her on my lap trying to "help" guide the brush. I think I got 5 shields painted in an hour and a half. Still, it's progress.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:48 am

In a few years, you will have slave labour to paint your minis. Start the training now!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Project update: 67 Models cleaned, assembled and based. Including 2 Rat Ogres, 1 Master Moulder, 2 Weapon Teams, Engineer, Warlord, 60 Clan Rats/Slaves.

Next to do: Battalion Box (40 Clanrats/Slaves, 20 Plague Monks, 2 Rat Ogres, 3 Pack Masters and 6 Giant Rats),

Going against my general rule of playing an unpainted army... I think I am going to play this army unpainted to learn it, and paint it while I use it. Otherwise it will be 6 months to one year before I can field it. I am starting to really fall in love with this army. I really love the sculpts, and after reading the army book, I think it will be a blast to play. So much chaos and fun. Really excited about this army!

I thought about Skaven when I first started playing in 2006, but at that time the sculpts were terrible, and that made my decision to start Wood Elves.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Project update:

I took the afternoon off and corked 71 bases for 20 Plague Monks, 40 Clanrats/Slaves, 2 Rat Ogres, 3 Pack Masters, and 6 Giant Rats.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm

You just "took" the afternoon off to do that?

Nice.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Yep. I think I am gonna take Friday off to clean and assemble over 70 models too. I will decide tomorrow night, depending on my assembly progress. Hoping to have a few more boxes cleaned and assembled by the end of the weekend. I took the evening off to make a few sample army lists, and realized that at 2500 I am gonna need more core!

I am thinking of buying a 3rd battalion box... At 2500 I should be fielding around 300 models, so I need more core! Very Happy

That means yet another box of 70+ models to assemble and paint... This army is going to be over 400 models... Yikes! I hope I can actually paint that many in the next 10 months or so. Going to need more vacation!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Project Update:

I ordered a third Battalion Box and another Clan Rat Box. After building some initial lists, I either needed to buy some Stormvermin to meet core, or get a few more Clan Rats. I am not sold on the point cost on the Stormvermin for what they bring to the army, so I decided to get 60 more Clan Rats. These models are so cheap, 200 of them means I barely meet core in a 2500 point army. That is so crazy! I knew this was a horde army, but I am still surprised at how cheap (and weak) their core is.

I am going to need to figure out an epic fast painting scheme that looks good. Two hundred model core, means 3 units of 40 slaves (246 points with Musician) and 2 units of 40 clan rats (384 points with SB and Mus and Shields) to fill the core on the battlefield at 630 points. Then I can field like 40-60 plague monks with furnace, or grey seer with Bell, BSB, warlocks, Doomwheel, Warp Lightning Cannon, Gutter Runners, Rat Ogres, Rat Swarms, Giant Rats, and Hell Pit Abom. Should be able to make a pretty fun list from this. Around 260-300 models on the table for people to blow up. Or based on what I've been reading, blowing myself up with. heh heh.

I finished cleaning and assembling another 40 Clan Rats today, changing the total to 100 Clan Rats assembled and based so far (I am half done my chaff!). I am currently assembling 20 Plague Monks, and then will be doing more Rat Ogres and a few Giant Rat packs. I am currently waiting for Darren to bring in 2 Battalion Boxes, 2 Furnace kits, 1 Clan Rat Box, and a Grey Seer blister so I can pick them up. Hopefully they will be in within 2 weeks. If I've assembled everything I currently have, I will begin constructing my magnetic movement trays, then start painting. Once everything is assembled I should be able to start playing it outside of league to learn what everything does and figure out how to play this monstrosity of an army.

Tomorrow, I will be assembling more cork bases, 20 Gutter Runners, more Plague Monks, and maybe some Warp Lightning Cannons or Plague Catapults... Smile I should be done the assembly of what I currently own by the end of the weekend, and have some models primed for painting.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 am

Project Update:
Finished the 20 Plague Monks, kit bashed and green stuffed my Chieftan with BSB to make him stand out more and be unique. This BSB will be the mini I paint on the 12th, so I will get it all primed and ready for next weekend. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Project Update:

Finished another 20 Plague Monks. 17 Gutter Runners done.

Converting a Warlord riding on top of a 'litter' using craft sticks, green stuff, left over Plague Monk heads, and Night Runner bodies. Litter ready for priming. Platform ready for assembly. The platform needs trophies of those that have fallen to his blade. All I have available are maybe Wood Elf heads and Tomb King shields for decoration as trophies for the platform. Will have to paint prior to final assembly.

I ordered like 15 tubs of Skaven Warpstones for some of my key bases, and a Diorama I am planning after my army is painted up which will have clusters of warpstones in it.

All I have left to assemble are 2 Warp Lightning Cannons and a Doomwheel. Darren said the 2 Battalion Boxes, Clan Rat Box, Grey Seer, and 2 Furnaces will be in next week.

Next up to paint. 2 Warp Lightning Cannons. Going to try and make it so the Cannon and Catapult arms are swappable via magnets...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Project Update:

I had an awesome game against Dom today to take a small break in building, but I still managed to finish a dual/combo Warp Lightning Cannon/Plague Catapult mini using this:
http://chatteringhorde.blogspot.ca/2011/10/dual-use-plagueclaw-catapult.html

It worked awesome. I got one more to build, and then I will have 2 Catapults and 2 WLCs and only have to paint 2 minis! I will finish that tomorrow, and then look at making some magnetic movement trays. Thinking of making five 5 x 8's to hold my core. I only have 300 magnets, so I ordered another 4 or 5 hundred. Should be here soon.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Project Update:

Finished my last WLC/Plague Catapult, and finished constructing and decorating my converted War Litter platform.

All that I have left is one Doomwheel before my next shipment of minis comes in from the Den, and two special characters. Since I can't fully assemble the Doomwheel until it is painted, I am going to clean and prime the pieces to get them ready for Saturday's painting day.

Next on the list: assemble the special characters, make magnetic movement trays for the models I've constructed so far, then finally attach magnets to the bottoms of the bases. Await the next 200 minis to arrive this week.

It is Ukrainian Christmas Eve today, so I am spending the evening with my wife's family to have a big meal. Will be back with assembly tomorrow night after work.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top