Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Post  nathanr on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I love the enthusiasm! Look forward to seeing the tables.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm

You got it guys.
I am actually hoping by the end of the coming weekend they will be done.
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Progress report - Build two 4' x 6' Folding Wargaming Tables:

All wood for both tables is bought, cut and delivered to my friend's heated garage for assembly... It cost around $180 for the wood, and $40 for the table legs to make two tables. So each table cost around $110 each. I should 'hopefully' have enough billiard (pool table) cloth for both tables (it is going to be close), so they should both have a nice surface texture. The cloth was free and looted off of an old snooker table, but is in 'like new' shape. I will be adding a 1/2" barrier around the top of the table to help prevent dice and some miniatures from disastrously falling to the floor from the tables' edges.

Plan to build both tables tomorrow night, barring the snow storm stopping my friend and I from doing them. Otherwise it would have to wait to be built on Sunday at the latest.

I ordered a bunch of trees from Woodland Scenic to use in the terrain I will be building for my 'Basement of Warhammer Epicness'... I need to go through the Warhammer book and take an inventory of what I need to build in order to outfit the two tables with appropriate terrain for scenarios. Then it is just buying the materials and pound them out. I have a ton of old craft paint I can use for the terrain (over one hundred colors).

I will take pictures with my iphone once the tables are done to show you all. And maybe a few pictures of my basement to show you what the gaming digs are like. I probably will not have enough terrain built until after Christmas, so if anyone wants to game over here before then, they would have to bring some terrain, or be alright with improvised terrain.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Progress report - Build two 4' x 6' Folding Wargaming Tables:

Both Wargaming Tables are built, and we had enough Billiard cloth for both. So we are just waiting for the paint to dry for the edging that will go around the table, and will be nailing the final edging tomorrow evening.

Next project will be to make terrain. I've never done this before, so hopefully the pieces I build are not total crap. haha. In the meantime, effective Tuesday I have two 4'x6' tables to host games at my place if people have some terrain to bring over. cheers

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Gaming Tables Complete...

They are now in my basement. Here is a picture so you can see how they turned out. Now I just need terrain and they will be useful. Very Happy

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd375/HowwwwL/WargamingTables.jpg

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Those are very sharp. That's what James Bond would game on.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Look great! well done.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 am

squalie wrote:Those are very sharp. That's what James Bond would game on.

Well Mr. Bond... You must come to my secret lair to try and thwart my evil plans of world domination sometime...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Project Update: Terrain for Santa

Well I went to the store and bought some Polystyrene Insulation, Cork, various sized tongue depressors, some dowels, my trees came in from Woodland Scenics, and I bought a bunch of other stuff. I made a list up of terrain I will be assembling this weekend. Hoping to carve and assemble the terrain, and then maybe look at priming the pieces and painting them. By Christmas break, I should have enough terrain for both tables made, and my house will now be a feasible place to play Warhammer for a minimum of two tables... I have some large Khorne symbols and a Chaos symbol from Forge World (around 3" x 3" in size), I think I am going to try and integrate them into my terrain pieces. Maybe on some buildings, or like a the chaos symbol in the middle of a summoning circle or something.

Smile

Project Update: Wood Elves Painting Frenzy

I am currently painting 10 Wild Riders, I finished assembling my Mounted Great Eagle, and I still have to assemble my Mounted Great Snow Owl. I am going to leave my 20 Eternal Guard in the box, until GW decides to fix the unit and make it more feasible. I should have all these miniatures done by the end of the month. Once that is done, I will focus on my Tomb Kings which are currently 80% assembled but not primed as of yet.

I am excited to have my Wood Elf army almost finally complete both in size, and painting!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:28 pm

nice tables, keep up the good work!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:43 pm

More pictures! I'd like to see pics of the Wood Elves, more of the Tomb Kings and you never did tell me how you do your gold.

I know, It's all about me. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:03 am

My wife broke our camera and I haven't replaced it yet, so all I got is my crappy iphone for pics. The iphone is terrible for taking pics of miniatures. You need to come up here and see them in person! Smile

I have a few ways I do gold, but on my Tomb Kings, I am using a dark gold for the base, then a very light gold for the highlights, and finally a light devlan mud wash. Then I highlight the edging with the light gold... I like the way the effect looks. Makes the gold look aged or naturally dirty. Some people use silver for the highlights and I think it looks too stark.

I've been procrastinating tonight, but I am either going to go hard on the terrain tomorrow or paint up my mounted eagle... I will surprise myself.

Here are some old pics I did in 2006... Back then I was using $1 craft paints from Michaels to paint miniatures so they don't look as good as my more current stuff... I use Vallejo Game Color now. But here they are if you haven't seen them yet.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:34 am

Holy crap, this lad can paint! It's funny as I was thinking on doing Wood Elves sometime ago and wanted to do a winter camoflage themed army. Quite frankly, very much like what you've done here. Very nice indeed. There used to be a picture of an example of this on the GW site, but since GW took away most of their free tutorials and galleries, it may no longer be there.

Honestly, that's a nice enough army that I'm actually a little jealous. Drycha, looks awesome and that would be a very nice army to play against.

Well Mr. Bond... You must come to my secret lair to try and thwart my evil plans of world domination sometime...

That sounds suspiciously like a come on..................................but, OK! Laughing

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Love this army, it looks even better in the flesh too. I'm glad you came back to the hobby, hopefully I'll get a chance sometime soon for a game or two on the new terrain.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks guys. Well, you will definitely get a chance to play against it, since I won't be ready with my Tomb Kings until Summer...

Project Update:
I have 8 Hills, 8 Forest, 6 Walls, and a Magic Circle all cut out. Still have a lot to go, but I have everything I need to finish all the terrain up and I've decided to flock all the non building pieces to make them look prettier. I will be finishing up the cut outs tonight, and then looking at prepping the pieces for paint and flock tomorrow and this week. I am hoping that by the end of next weekend (next weekend is my birthday), I will have all my terrain done or close to being fully painted. If not it will be by the following weekend.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Yup, Trevor won a best painted army award at a big tournament (28 players) in Saskatoon with this force.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 am

Carson, I can't believe you remembered that. It was like at least 5 years ago! Shocked

I get to try out one of my new wargaming tables tonight, with a double header against Darren starting at around 5pm. Two games back to back. I have about 20-30 pieces of terrain sculpted but not sealed, flocked or painted yet, so we will be fighting in the 'pink polystyrene' moors. The Wood Elves for some reason want to protect this unnatural place... If two other people are wanting to play tonight you are welcome to come over and check out the place, and have a game or two as well. I have enough pink terrain for my two tables. We could rotate players after the first game to play different opponents for the second game.

Last night I finished up two four foot rivers (one for each table). I plan to use that 'water effects' gel on them when I finish them up so they look cooler than just being painted. I plan to seal the pieces of terrain this weekend with a wood glue and water mixture. Once dry, I am going to paint, and then flock most of the pieces, glue trees onto the forests, etc. The pieces I made are the basics: hills, forests, a few buildings, bane stone, magic circle, summoning circle, elven waystone, Khemrian quicksand, swamp, etc. I want to make more buildings, and other special terrain, but will wait until I have these initial pieces painted, and I finish painting my final 12 Wood Elf miniatures before I tackle that.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Project Update:
Finished spraying a water/wood glue mixture on the polystyrene, prepping the terrain for paint. Waiting for it to dry. Working on a unit of 10 Wild Riders. Horse hair done, just working on details now. Hoping to have the 10 horses done today, and start the riders tomorrow night.

I bought some sculpting tools today and some aluminum armature wire, so I can attempt to sculpt/convert a unique looking Hierotitan mostly from scratch.

Goal before Jan 1, 2013 (16 days):
Completely finish terrain for 2 tables:
1) Finish painting and flocking all the terrain I built (in progress). Estimated time of completion: December 22, 2012 - (update Dec 16, 2012: glue/water mix applied. Ready to paint).

Completely finish painting Wood Elf Army:
2) Finish 10 Wild Riders (in progress). Estimated time of completion: December 20, 2012 - (update Dec 16, 2012: Mounts are painted and bases done. Riders primed and ready to paint).
3) Finish Mounted Great Eagle. Estimated time of completion: December 27, 2012 - (update Dec 16, 2012: Great Eagle built and ready to prime).
4) Finish Mounted Great Owl. Estimated time of completion: December 31, 2012

Start painting Tomb King army Jan 1, 2013... farao
One done already:

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:13 pm

That's an ambitious schedule Trevor! I like the color scheme on the bone giant, I especially like the dirty gold. Is it just devlan mud wash over gold or is it more complicated than that?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:54 pm

It is a dark gold metallic, devlan mud, and then a lighter gold metallic watered down to highlight. I put my schedule down here to help motivate me to get it done. Otherwise I know I would slack off. Wink

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I keep looking at those Wood elves thinking I need to start a Wood Elf army. This hobby....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't regret starting Wood Elves, though 8th edition are making it extremely difficult to get wins with them. You used to be able to charge in, and shear off a bunch of models due to high initiative, limiting the attacks back, so you wouldn't break. Now if you attack a block of infantry, it is guaranteed you will break unless you can get off multiple charges, and even then, you have to out kill the opponent significantly to get by his ranks, and banner.

My hope is that a new book with maybe a living warmachine option as a monstrous unit, and maybe fixing their Lore of Athel Loren will make them viable again.

The Wild Riders, Highborn on Giant Owl, and Spellweaver on Giant Eagle are going to add a little more spice to my lists, I think. I already like 2 of the lists I've put together, and am excited to try them out. I am pushing hard to get the models painted asap to see how they fare.

The Wood Elf models are really enjoyable to paint. If you look around, they have summer, autumn, and winter themed elves. All palettes look great and there are a lot of details on the miniatures.

Most enemies who play against Wood Elves, take fire based equipment, which makes your Treeman and Treekin models pretty useless (they usually get one shotted), but you don't need to take the trees, and dryads are not flammable and are arguably the best core unit in the game for its price. They have interesting special characters, however in 8th edition only Drycha is really worth the points, and that pushes you into an all forest spirit army, and makes you take mostly, dryads, a treeman and treekin, or a crapload of Wild Riders. In 7th edition all special characters were good choices.

When you win with the Wood Elves, you win big. I've tabled quite a few opponents in the past, and I am not as experienced a player as many of you are. But when you lose, usually you know you've lost by round 2 or 3. And it is usually because you relied on Forest Spirits, and they were set aflame by the enemy very quickly. In the tournament we just played, 3 of my 4 opponents, one shotted my Treeman. My Treekin unit in those same games were either one shotted by warmachines, or were wounded so badly by them with one shot, that they did not last one round in close combat. But that is the risk when playing the flammable units since everyone seems to take fire.

I personally feel that because of the availablility of fire attacks for all armies the Treeman and Treekin are way overpriced. Not only does fire do 2x wounds, but they negate regeneration which is the only defensive buff you get with Athel Loren. If it is magical fire, you've also negated their ward save to boot. So 2x wounds, no regen, no ward. Eat it and die. So you have no answer to it other than do not take them. If you have a spellweaver and life Lore, it doesn't matter. You don't get a chance to heal them, because the unit is removed in one shot usually.

Fire attacks are too easily available to enemy armies and are too powerful against those units. If you are playing against an opponent that does not take fire, then they are priced right... In my opinion, they need a much deeper discount for being flammable, or need to restrict how much fire there is out there. Or provide some spell in a new Athel Loren list, that provides some defense using magic other than Regen. Consistently killing a Toughness 6 model with 6 wounds, or a unit of 9 wounds with toughness 5 in one shot, is a little much... Wink

I am used to playing with flammable units, and I know Tomb Kings have a few of them... So I won't be a stranger to it. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Project Update:

10 Wild Riders: Completed.
Mounted Giant Eagle: primed -> Will be converting rider to be BSB.
Mounted Giant Owl: Primed / Highborn rider: Assembled
Wood Elf BSB on Foot: Ordered through the Den -> Will eventually be in Eternal Guard or Glade Guard bunker.
*updated* Terrain done and ready for varnish...

Planning a large Skaven Army purchase of around 400 models (thinking of painting this is giving me the shakes... But I am very excited about my chosen theme).
Seriously thinking of letting my Tomb Kings sit, while I get started on the epic project of albino Skaven...

Planned Purchase upcoming: ~$1200.00 retail
1 Island of Blood
2 Skaven Batallion
1 Skaven Plague Monks
1 Skaven Clan Rats
1 Skaven Night Runners (used as Gutter Runners)
2 Skaven Screaming Bell / Plague Furnace
2 Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon/Plagueclaw Catapult
1 Skaven Doomwheel
1 Skaven Broodhorror (Alternative to Abom - Forgeworld - ordered today) *link*
1 Skaven Warlord on Broodhorror (Alternative to Abom + fluffy alternative mounted character - Forgeworld - ordered today) *link*
1 Skaven Grey Seer
1 Deathmaster Sniktch (Assassin)
1 Queek Headtaker (awesome sculpt)
1 Skaven Warlord (BSB)
1 Skaven Army Book (I have digital version, want paper)
1 Uniforms and Heraldry of the Skaven

Last edited by Trevor Y. on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Merry Christmas to me... I got my 33 pieces of Terrain done. Sorry for the crappy iphone pictures. Just need to spray some varnish on them, and they are good to go. Enough terrain for a few tables...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Well I just finished my conversion for a Wood Elf BSB on Great Eagle. It is a little shiny and blurry because it is freshly primed, and the lighting was poopy. However I wanted to show how the banner is going to look, and I picked a female elf model to be my BSB. I tried to find a banner that would be blowing in the wind because of the flying.

I also took a couple of snaps of my Great Owl which will be my Forest Dragon. There is a seam where his wing meets his body. I am going to try and fix that with green stuff. I have made it with magnets to pull the rider on and off for storage so I don't destroy the skinny weak spear.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top