Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Ha! Well the Hand is actually from the heraldry book. It is one of the official marks of Clan Septik. I liked it because it stood out amongst all the other random markings, so I decided to use it.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:53 am

Project Update:

Assembled, cleaned and glued 60 Clan Rats tonight, including corking 60 bases. Will be gluing the models onto the bases tomorrow morning once the glue is totally dry. I cut myself quite a few times after putting a fresh blade on my pen knife. I am getting dangerous with it...

I only have 40 more clan rats to assemble, 40 plague monks, 4 more rat ogres and handlers, a bell, a furnace, and some other odds and ends, and the army will be ready to play with as I start painting the models, unit by unit...

Tomorrow's plan: make bases for the above unfinished models, and then continue the assembly grind...

Oh man I can't wait until these are all assembled. I HATE ASSEMBLY!!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Project Update:

20 Plague Monks Cleaned glued and based, the 60 Clan Rats were glued to bases. Since I have 60 Plague Monks done, I've decided to make 10 of the remaining 20 models, Plague Censer Bearers so I will have a total of 70 Plague Monks. I doubt I will ever need 80 Plague Monks on the table at one time. If I do, I will just throw them into the back ranks. Gives me another unit to mess around with. Plague Bearers are supposed to be terrible, but they might fix them in another book, and the weapons look awesome, so I must do this... Smile

By the end of next weekend, I hope to have a playable Skaven Army constructed, and then the power painting updates will commence...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Project Update:

Well I have good news and bad news. Bad news is I won't be ready by the end of next weekend to play Skaven. Sad

Good news is, you will see a Plague Furnace, Plague Priest and crew, a Screaming Bell, a Grey Seer and Rat Ogre ringing the bell all painted very soon... I can't fully assemble either of these kits and do a good job painting them. So I have to paint the pieces, then assemble... Shocked

Plague Furnace, Crew, Plague Priest all primed and ready for painting this week. 20 Plague Monks based. That Plague Furnace was a bugger to put together, and so was the Plague Priest. I assembled one minor piece upside down, but it will still work out fine. I could probably fix it using my dremel, but it is too minor, and I am too lazy. Wink

Oh, and what really sucks, is one of my Battalion Boxes was missing the Rat Ogre sprues, so I am missing a few Rat Ogres and handlers... sigh... I noticed this once I finished putting the Clan Rats and Plague Monks together. I will have to really look at the sprues in my other battalion box to ensure I did not get doubly screwed when I am ready to assemble that one.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Project Update:

Finished priming my Furnace parts, so it is ready for painting this week. I assembled a Brood Horror and a Mounted Brood Horror which will be my 2 Hell Pit Abominations and based them.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Project Update:

I took Monday and Tuesday off work to paint. I am hoping to have my Furnace totally painted and assembled by Monday or Tuesday evening, and maybe even a head start on my Bell assembly. Once these are done, I will be assembling my last Battalion box, and then I am good to start playing them. Then it is just a matter of pounding out 40 models every two weeks until I am done. Easy right?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Project Update:

Plague Furnace is painted and fully assembled. Now I am painting the Plague Monks, then the Plague Priest, and that unit is fully complete.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Hey Trevor, I don't think I'm going to make it tonight to pick up my stuff, hopefully tomorrow.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:26 pm

no worries.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:02 am

Work in Progress Pictures. Priest is not yet done, and I am still touching up the Furnace. But I thought I would share where I am so far.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:18 am

looking nice so far, the green you used on the plague robes is ace.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks Carson. When I put those greens on as a base before highlighting and shading I was doubting I made a good choice in colors.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am

I really like it Trevor! I do think that the green on the censor needs to be highlighted more, its looking a little flat although that could be the pictures. I think it should look more like the warpstone in your doomwheel where it's almost highlighted up to white. Just my opinion though, I agree with Carson, those plague monks look great and I like the slightly different wood tones, it makes it look more ramshackle and skaveny.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:46 am

You are right the censer is flat right now. That is one of the things I am not totally done yet. My first stab at it didn't turn out to my expectations, so I 'erased' my previous highlighting by tossing a black wash over it all. That is what you see here in the pics. Haven't built it back up yet. Will be done before final pics with the Plague Priest.
Smile

I did the same wood styling on my Doomwheel as well. I wanted it to look like they scavenged the wood from all different places, so the wood wouldn't all be the same color. I will be doing the same thing on my Warpfire Cannons, Bell, and any other woody machines, so they all tie into the theme.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Whew. Done. Not looking forward to doing the Bell. That was a lot of fricken work.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Forgot to dirty up his robe before taking pictures...
Mad

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Can't wait to see it all done - looking really good! What's the wash you use Trevor?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 pm

The censor looks much better. Nicely done.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 pm

squalie wrote:Can't wait to see it all done - looking really good! What's the wash you use Trevor?

On this model, before and after blending and highlighting in various areas, I used:
Gryphonne Sepia, Devlan Mud, Althonian Camoshade, Agrax Earthshade, Badab Black

I also made a few other washes from my paints to help with other effects. One was a grey wash, the other was a fleshy pink wash. To make washes I will use Future Floor Finish mixed with water and the paint mixture.

Sometimes I will put a wash on right on the basecoat, and then highlight. Sometimes I will do this and then after highlighting, wash it again to bring it all together. Nothing was drybrushed on this model. It is all blending, highlighting and washes. The model is pretty much done, other than the basing, and to 'dirty' the priest's robes a bit more.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Project Update:

This evening I cut and cleaned all the parts for the Screaming Bell... Tomorrow evening I will glue as much as possible, then prime the pieces.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:35 pm

Project Update:
I've been planning a 18" x 24" Display Board for my Skaven army during my down time when not painting. I have some grand plans... I already have most of the items I will need to construct it. So far over 20 materials required to make this thing a reality. This is going to be my 'fun' project when I start to lose my mind painting clan rats and need a short break here and there. I plan on running this army in tournaments so I want a decent display board to get better painting scores. I hear it is hard for Skaven to get good painting scores, because they aren't as pretty as elves. BAH! I SAY! I want to change all that!

Once I have some time to draw a sketch of my plans I will share them with you all. I hope you will be interested in sharing with me more ideas, or to help me ensure the theme I am going for stays consistent and I stay on track. I will ensure that I explain what concept and theme I am trying to successfully portray. I've seen some pretty amazing terrain pieces and ideas from other diaries.

I have a lot of um, disease and icky stuff planned in this Display Board...

Tonight I plan to assemble the Screaming Bell enough to prime the pieces and get ready for painting. This weekend is crappy for me because I am attending a Superbowl party on Sunday, and I have a social gathering to attend in the evening on Saturday. So the painted Screaming Bell, crew, and Seer won't be done until next week sometime. I will be picking away at it on Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Project Update:

Screaming Bell is assembled enough and primed to the point of painting it. I got a bad cold on Thursday and have not painted due to the constant sneezing and coughing. But the cold pills are working now, and I hope to have it done before Friday. Then all I have left to do is assemble and base 100 more minis, and then magnetize around 200 minis. Then, find something to transport them with, and I am good to start playing them as I paint them slowly.

I got my custom game tokens for Skaven on Friday. It has everything from wound counters and debuff counters, to counters that represent weird effects that my machines succumb to, like the Doomwheel.

I went to Michael's on Saturday, and there was a big clearance sale on. I found a bunch of stuff for the army display board I will be constructing.

Today I will be attending a Superbowl party, so nothing crafty today, but I will be back at the painting tomorrow night!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Project Update:

Well it has been a while since my last update so I thought I would update everyone.

I hurt my shoulder somehow, no idea how. Don't remember doing anything. Doctor thinks I popped my shoulder out of joint and then back into its socket again somehow to cause it to seize up. Now I am on anti-inflammatory pills and other shit, so might have to bail on this weekend in Moosejaw. Won't know until tomorrow night whether I am out. Sad

Doctor said I would be in pain for the next month or two. yaaaay. :/

In lots of pain and on lots of medication, and am starting physiotherapy tomorrow. Hoping for a miracle. Pills I am on right now are making me drowsy. bleh.

I tried painting tonight. Could only do it for a few hours before I couldn't take the pain any more. So I am going to try and continue to pick away at it each day for a few hours if I can push through it. I got the base wood color on the Screaming Bell as a plus! That is all to update for now.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm

That sucks! Sorry to hear that Trevor. Hope it gets better soon.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Project Update:

I spent an hour on my painting today, and my arm was very sore after. I went to physio today, and it looks like a major rotator cuff tear. 6 - 8 weeks to fully heal, and I am supposed to avoid all activity that causes it to hurt for the next few weeks.

Yes, that means no painting or assembly. I am pretty upset about this, because I am literally 7 days from being able to play my Skaven army, and now it looks like because of this disability, it might be 2-4 weeks before I can continue building or painting. That is a delay of a month.

I am so wanting to try these rats out. How could I have possibly seriously torn this muscle group without even knowing about it? sigh...

Unfortunately, due to a required physio appointment Friday evening and the pain management, I can't make it up to Moosejaw this weekend, so I wonder if someone could pop over and pick up Carson's gloves, and Don's mat to bring up there this weekend? This is really depressing, I was looking forward to that and to finish up my Skaven. I still can't believe the timing of this...
Sad

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top