Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Well, I haven't painted for over 5 years, and my confidence was shattered a few weeks ago when I used some 6 year old paints and utterly destroyed my Wood Elf Warhawk Riders. I feel very rusty. I bought some new VGC paints then threw out my old paints. This is the first mini I've painted with my new VGC paints! Sorry the pictures aren't very good, I have 3 lamps on it and I still had to adjust the brightness! Sad

I will be spending more time to do a decent job on my heroes, chariots, rares, and special units. Less on the rest of my core.

Necrolith Colossus... I haven't varnished this one yet, it is hot off the press. I am going to touch up a few very small things then it will be sealed. This mini was also a bone recipe test.

I used Army Painter Skeleton Bone Primer (for the first time and it worked great), highlighted high areas of bone with 3 layers lightening to near white, then Gryphonne Sepia wash over top. Then I did a focused Devlan Mud wash in the to the teeth, eye sockets and nose. The rest of the areas were just done by blending and highlighting colors.

One down... 200 to go.... GAH!!!!

Last edited by Trevor Y. on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trevor Y.'s Project Diary

Post  Carson on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Looks good. Are you leaving the base as is? If so try to seal in the sand quite heavily as it will come off in game play.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:25 pm

The varnish is the magic... Already put two cots on it. No sand will come off.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Tried my hand at converting tonight. First time I've ever converted something (was always scared I would make it look like trash).

I converted a Liche Priest so it has a different weapon, and a fancy headdress to make him stand out as my Heirophant.

I have to say, the Citadel Finecast stuff, is total and utter garbage. Very fragile, lots of flaws, really messy to work with. Very unhappy with that line. I've had to greenstuff repair a few models because of areas of missing resin, pieces that shipped broken, etc... I hope GW does not try to make the switch to their whole model line. People are bound to stop buying it due to the poor quality.

You'd think after 5 years (since I last assembled models), they could come up with a superior way to make minis, improve molds, improve what it is made out of, etc... What a step backwards!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:49 am

Progress Report:
6 Necropolis Knights cleaned and assembled
8 Horse Archers cleaned and assembled
3 Chariots cleaned and assembled
1 Converted Hierophant cleaned and assembled
1 Liche Priest cleaned and assembled
1 Necrotect cleaned and assembled
1 Casket of Souls cleaned and assembled
24 Skeleton Archers cleaned and assembled
Apophas cleaned and assembled
Khalida cleaned and assembled
Screaming Skull Catapult cleaned and assembled
War Sphinx cleaned and assembled
Tomb King on Foot w/GW cleaned and assembled
30 Tomb Guard w/FC cleaned and assembled
Tomb King on Chariot

Next up in order:
3 Chariots
1 Screaming Skull Catapult
Another Battallion Box (Assembling 24 archers, 8 Skeleton Horsemen, 3 Chariots)
8 Skeleton Horsemen
Magnetic movement trays

My God, the assembly of all these is taking forever with all the billions of parts to glue together and clean for painting! Also I've ordered stuff to magnetize all these minis to trays. Still a lot of work to do to get this army playable. Hoping to take a week off in November to assembly line paint my core up, so I need to assemble them over the next month.

I can't wait to play them!

Last edited by Trevor Y. on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:30 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated progress)

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Oh God how boring it is to assemble and clean the mold lines off of plastic minis... Just spent 2 solid evenings and finished cleaning the pieces for 24 Skeleton Archers. That was nearly 100 pieces to cut off the sprues, clean the mold lines off of, and now I have the daunting task of gluing them together. GAH! I am not going to bother assembling the Skeleton Warriors until I am done everything else. Doing these now would put me over the edge.

I will glue the archers together tomorrow. Looks like once I am done this batch, I have 30 Tomb Guard to do next. Oh man... Shoot me now... I can't wait to finish assembling all these units so I can start playing with them. I just got most of the materials to build my magnetic movement trays... My goal is to be assembled with movement trays for when the next league starts.

Once all this is done... I finally get to paint!!! Shocked

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Getting closer to playing...

Progress Report:
6 Necropolis Knights cleaned and assembled
8 Horse Archers cleaned and assembled
3 Chariots cleaned and assembled
1 Converted Hierophant cleaned and assembled
1 Liche Priest cleaned and assembled
1 Necrotect cleaned and assembled
1 Casket of Souls cleaned and assembled
24 Skeleton Archers cleaned and assembled
Apophas cleaned and assembled
Khalida cleaned and assembled
Screaming Skull Catapult cleaned and assembled
War Sphinx cleaned and assembled
Tomb King on Foot w/GW cleaned and assembled
30 Tomb Guard w/FC cleaned and assembled
Tomb King on Chariot

Next up in order:
6 Chariots
Tomb King with Sword and Shield
24 Archers
16 Skeleton Horsemen
1 Screaming Skull Catapult
Magnetic movement trays
32 Skeleton Warriors

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat May 19, 2012 12:28 pm

How's this coming along? Really like the Giant/Colossus.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 pm

The last 12 months was super busy for me. I built a new house, finished the landscaping, and finally unpacked all my minis and painting gear. Hence the reason for my disappearance. Good news is my basement is developed and there is enough room to set up 10 wargaming tables down there!

Just finished painting 4 minis this weekend to knock the rust off my paintbrushes, and I should be good to continue where I left off.

I have two more armies to paint (beastmen and Tomb Kings) and have a few more units of Wood Elves to paint, so I will be busy with that. My camera is broken, so no pics unfortunately. Yes my wife took it to the beach this summer and it is full of sand. Sigh.

I've been reading the various war hammer forums as of late and right now there is a debate as to which is the worst army in the game and it is between Wood Elf, Beastmen, and Tomb Kings... How did I get so lucky to pick all three?!? LOL.

Anyways, I thought I would say "hi I am back".

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:32 am

Good to see you're back!

I have Tomb Kings, Bretonnians and High Elves. I seem to suffer from the underdog choices myself.

I think 10 tables in your basement is a challenge! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 am

welcome back! The winter league is just ramping up so if you are interested you should sign up. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. There are no bad armies, just bad generals Laughing

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 am

The only army I have ready to play are the Wood Elves. I already tried them in 8th Edition and they are terrible with the new rules. They are lacking... Something. I still have to paint a bunch of Glade Guard and Wild Riders, but I don't think that will help... I hate relying so much on Treekin, especially since they are so easy to kill with fire...

Let's see if I can get an army of Tomb Kings put together over the next 4 weeks that is playable. I will have to come up with a 2500 point list (2500 is league right?), that I can start with and build up from there. I bought all the materials to build my own magnetic trays, so I might ask everyone's opinion on what sizes to make them. Smile

I don't have experience playing formation based armies, so I am not quite sure how many ranks would be considered standard and how wide to make them. I know archer units might be different than a death star or cavalry, but not much more than that.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 am

I think my wood elves are my favorite 8th edition army (I also have high elves, dwarfs and bretonnians). The style of play has changed a bit but they are definitely not terrible.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:41 am

nathanr wrote:The style of play has changed a bit but they are definitely not terrible.

Would be interesting to see what list you run that you think is decent in 8th, so I can compare to mine.

Based on my experimentation, I pretty much have to rely on 6-8 Treekin and a Treeman and work around that. I never had to do that in the previous edition. Their forest lore for spellcasting is not very useful anymore, and I must go to other lores to get anything out of the spellcasting. I usually blow up my Glade Guard with my spellcasters, because I have to bury them in that unit now. I do not have the Lord on Dragon, and so I rely on a Weaver or a squishy Lord on foot. I do not have any Lords or weavers on horseback. I have a small group of Wild Riders that need to be painted, and another unit of Glade Guard. Skirmish melee units are very weak in combat now. I find my Dryads pretty solid, but they still break often.

It might help a little to have some initial hitting power with the Wild Riders and to slow a unit down for a round, but with the new rules, they would likely not break the unit they hit (if they survived to get to the unit since they are squishy), and break the next turn due to lack of ranks. So they seem no more than an expensive speed bump now. Sad

I also find most opponents that I face find Wood Elves very annoying to play. You can see the frustration on their faces while playing, because you dance around the battle area, trying NOT to engage the big block of troops running at you. So they spend the game chasing you around the table with big blocks of infantry. You are shooting at them every round you can, and try delay them with your Treekin/Treeman for as long as possible, while you whittle the rest of their troops away since you have no other melee troops that can last more than one round without breaking because they are so squishy. I played 5 or 6 games with them in 8th before my break, and my only massacre was to your Brets (and maybe Lizardmen), and got draws on the other games. I really had to earn the draws.

I used to love my Wood Elves. They were hella fun to play. Maybe I am doing something very wrong with my army lists?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:10 pm

I enjoy using the treekin (I use 1 unit of 6), I don't think I rely on them though. They are good at certain things that nothing else in the wood elf book can do which is soak up damage and provide an anchor. I also love my treeman, always have and I've never taken a wood elf army without one. The combination of treesing, strangleroot and a stubborn monster with a decent save is too good to pass up. I use a spellweaver with the lore of life and put it on the corner of a unit of 12 glade guard (2 ranks of 6). She rarely miscasts since I usually have throne of vines on but if she does she is only in base contact with 2 models and the small or even large round template will only hit 4 or 5 glade guard models so a miscast isn't terrible.

The lore of Athel Loren isn't useless, it just isn't as powerful as the newer lores. Treesing is still very viable (the damage version especially) since your opponents have less reservations to moving in forests. The main benefit of the lore of Athel Loren is that the spells are dead cheap to cast.

I've been running a unit of wild riders led by a stag-mounted noble which is also good but I think in the future I'm going to downsize the wild rider unit to 6 without a character and throw in some wardancers. I had given up on them in 8th edition but I've seen Dominique using them with good results so I figure I might as well give them another shot.

My army is pretty much the typical 8th edition wood elf list, forest spirits for melee and elves for ranged support but Dominique has started playing wood elves and his list is drastically different than mine and he's been having some good success with it as well so my playstyle is definitely not the only way to go with the army. It all depends on your preference and style of playing. It sounds to me that the 8th edition Wood Elves just don't fit your idea of what the army should be which is perfectly understandable. Its not for everyone, but that's why there are 15 different races in Warhammer Fantasy.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:50 pm

You might be right! Shocked

The Treeman and Treekin are both solid, I agree. I do like the Dryads too. I have to admit, my playstyle with them totally had to be changed, and I preferred playing them the old way, as I found it more fun. That is probably the biggest issue I had with them.

It has been a year since I played last, so I am going to need to play an experienced person for a game or two to get the rules back into my head. Maybe I will give the Wood Elves another try while I paint my Tomb Kings over the Winter for the Spring League.
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Today I went to the Den to pick up a few more units to help test/bolster my Wood Elf Army, and I paid the $5 fee for the league. Almost done assembling the minis I bought. Should have the 30ish minis painted up over the next 2 weekends. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 pm

It's good to see that kind of enthusiasm. Keep going!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:24 pm

I took this week off work to paint 31 minis.

Just finished 6 Treekin, and put the first coat of protector.

Primed 16 Glade Guard, 1 Great Eagle, and 12 Dryads. Hope to complete the Eagle and Dryads tomorrow. Almost ready to throw some dice!
Very Happy

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:44 pm

You know you can play without painted minis too right?

I'm interested in seeing pictures! You are going to need to find yourself a camera soon!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:55 pm

nathanr wrote:You know you can play without painted minis too right?

That would be...

...uncivilized...

You won't need to see them via camera. I will be playing with them. You can see them in person.
Smile

I will be ready to play by the weekend. Should have the Great Eagle and the 12 Dryads done today.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 pm

I am on days off and going to the den saturday afternoon for a game against Dom. I could swing a double header

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 pm

All I have left to paint are my 16 Glade Guard, so I think I might take you up on that. I will be ready. I was able to finish my Great Eagle and my Dryads today and my Glade Guard are already primed.

I have to be back home by 6pm though, because my wife and I are going out.
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:10 pm

All those models are done. Next project I am doing is building 2 custom 4' x 6' Wargaming tables. Should have them done next weekend or the weekend after. I've already finished the design and made an inventory of supplies I need. Once the tables are done, I need to build some terrain for scenarios. Once that is done, I will have the set up to host two tables of gaming at my place every evening (except Thursday nights), and nearly every weekend (except Saturday nights after 6pm).

This might be more accommodating for people who come from out of town. My basement can handle 4 - 6 tables easy if people had some additional fold-up tables to bring and some terrain. Darren came over to play yesterday, so he saw how big an area it is. It is fully developed with bathroom and commercial grade laminate flooring so it is much cleaner than the Den. Wink

I do have an extra bedroom for someone to stay, with your own private bathroom, and even with all those tables set up, an area to lounge on with a few couches and a table to sit down and relax in-between games.

People can play at my house any time as an alternate venue to play instead of the Den. I do not have children or any other distractions to restrict gaming times.

Hopefully within 2 weeks!!!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Sounds awesome! I'd like to make a reservation for the next event/weekend. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:46 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top